edwardelricfreak

"Foggy" biome/Dark Cave(rn)

Perhaps the idea of an extra "foggy" biome where only mystery eggs drop might be interesting -- for a different topic of course.
Someone should set up a proper suggestion thread for the "foggy biome" then. I love the idea. :lol:

Wish granted!

------

The "Foggy" Biome

Mentioned in this thread after another similar thread was brought up, this suggestion is for the addition of a "foggy"/mystery biome. In it, you would not be able to tell at all what eggs there are. You would have access to any CB egg (I guess; I'm just inferring from the posts about it that I saw), but as they all would share the same description, "It is too foggy to tell what egg this is," it would be totally random what egg you get.

I feel like maybe this sort of suggestion might have been suggested way long ago, but I did do some checking and saw nothing (looked up "mystery", "foggy", and "biome", separately).

I realize that technically eggs in biomes are sort of "mystery" eggs, but with their descriptions, it's easy to learn what they are. These eggs would be TOTAL mysteries, as they all share the same description and can be any egg found in any of the biomes.

To compensate for the amount of biomes, I think that the foggy biome would have more than just three eggs at a time, but much less than the 30 in the AP. I think somewhere between 6-15 eggs would be good. Personally for me, 9 would be ideal. EDIT: Or just stick with 3. Just personally for me, I feel like 6-15 eggs is better. XD

A slight alternative to a foggy island or whatever, ]a dark cave. Essentially the "old cave", but functions like the foggy biome:

I'd prefer it as a "cave" biome, three eggs, can be any type, description of "it's too dark to tell what this egg is." Ties into dragon CAVE (seriously, we haven't had a cave cave for a while now... XD) and makes more sense than a land of perpetual fog, IMO.
I actually wouldn't mind a dark cave. Maybe it's an underground cavern. O:

Yeah, I'm still not sure about how many eggs should be in it. Maybe just three, but like I said, with it having so many eggs to choose from, I figured it would have more than three eggs. Maybe not, though? o3o

Should the eggs still be fogged when you pick them up? Instead of "regular" fog, maybe the cave has a sort of dark fog or haze. Maybe it's

. XD

But are there any benefits?

Not sure, actually. I think that's open to discussion. The main thing is that, since they can be any egg, if you're lucky, you might end up nabbing a rare. Or not. o3o It would all be luck.

As said in the "Random Egg/Mystery Egg" suggestion:

I was thinking about how we could make DC a bit more luck-based, and I think this would be the way to do it. Even people who have slow Internet could grab these 'chance eggs', and have a chance at getting something rare. It's better than watching CB Metals to by and knowing someone who has a better Internet grabbed them before you. And it'd be fun grabbing open egg without knowing what it is. Kind of like the fun of grabbing a Ridgewing to see if it's tan, or a Dorsal to see if it's red, but on a larger scale.

dragongrrl also suggested guaranteed protection from sickness:

Dragon parents lay their eggs here because they are shrouded with an special energy that makes them immune to view-bombing. Dragons that specifically don't use magic can be allowed in by kind-hearted magic users, thus giving all breeds access.

You won't know what breed the mystically fogged egg is until it hatches, but it has a guaranteed immunity, no matter which breed it may be. They can be Incubated and Influenced, but NO sneak peeks.

I'm not sure how I would feel about them being unknown until hatching. I suppose it would be okay, but would they be able to be abandoned or traded? I have a feeling like those actions wouldn't be able to be done without them showing up as a mystery egg no matter what.

Guaranteed sickness protection would be nice, though. c:

Also does the protection wear off when it hatches? It seems like it's a mystery when it's an egg because it's shrouded in the protective fog, but then the fog isn't there when it hatches?

And what does it look like on the scroll? Is it the regular fog sprite, the mystery egg sprite from the cave, or a totally new sprite? If it's fog, it may cause confusion in hatcheries. If it's the cave mystery egg sprite, that might also cause some confusion. I'd personally be alright with a new sprite, be it a foggy sprite or just a strange-looking egg. I think I'd prefer something like a fog, as I wouldn't want to have a new egg design cause any confusion over there being a new dragon release or something.

Yes, the fog would be a little different. I'd say the mystical energy protects from sickness as a hatchling as well, and also gives the fog a tendency to flash with tiny gold sparkles, or possibly a golden glow.

They should be ready to trade or abandon after the standard 5 hours, but they certainly would interesting to trade as eggs, since they could turn out to be a common or a rare, with no way of knowing until they hatch.

Influence would be an issue...

If they don't show up on the list for influencing, it would be a clue that they are unbreedable, but the breed still wouldn't show until hatching.

I feel like views needed for hatching might also give them away to an extent. But I think it's fine that Influence and views needed give minor clues. It's not like they tell you what it is. You still have only guesses.

Ooooh I feel like they'd have interesting trade value. O: I've known lots of sites and even irl stuff where mystery things work well for trading. And I do think the appeal of not becoming sick means someone will pick it up anyway. And then of course even if it's something not wanted once hatched, I know many LOVE finding hatchlings in the AP. They get snatched up almost as quickly as rares do.

Where is it located?

Since we have biomes now.. why not have the "old" cave be dark now? Before biomes happened, the cave would have had to of been somewhere on the map where most of the biomes are close enough to each other that you could find any dragon (I'm aware that the old cave is even older than the map is.. and since its been so long since the map got updated, perhaps the original map drawers forgot to add it, or the area hasnt been re-explored since the map was drawn :P)

This line of thought actually has me a bit excited. Breeds that are found across multiple biomes already, would be drawn there, since its areas they are used to living in anyhow (balloons and metals for example). I have concepts that would fit in a dark cave setting. Maybe the dragons in that area are more aggressive due to remembering the old days when seas of people would come, and so its easier to only be able to hunt at night (in the dark, because torches would grab their attention, and you kind of need to be sneaky...)

http://oi61.tinypic.com/25sbyn9.jpg

Going with the idea I mentioned a few posts up, and the /current/ map.. the red dots are places I think /could/ work for "central" cave options. The big purple dot, is a previously undiscovered volcano possibility.

Each of those red areas are places that dragons could move to, if they were motivated enough to do so (natural disaster, food shortages.. whatever, close enough to each biome). For the more centralized dot, perhaps there is a cave, or pass that connects through mountain to the desert, without having to go up and over the mountain.. im sure any humans living south of the mountain, probably spent time making the path to the desert easier...and dragons could take advantage of it.

really.. there doesnt need to be a back story, or myth or anything tied to it.. its just a conveniently located cave that was forgotton over time.

looking by the size of it, a supervolcano perhaps :3

some of those oceanic islands might make good foggy areas - with sea fogs and mists.

OH GOSH I'M A DUMB

why didn't I think of that! Yes! A supervolcano is actually a great idea. Many areas that are home to supervolcanoes support a huge variety of life. Just look at Yellowstone National Park. There are also various lakes that are basically in the caldera of one. In fact, one like Lake Toba where there's an island in the center of the lake would be perfect. :D

I love the foggy and mysterious island idea. Easy and simple. Just plop it on the map and you're done. I have to agree that I think people are getting hung up on tiny details that do not matter in the grand scheme here. Perhaps it's like the Bermuda Triangle and you just stumble upon the island while exploring. It's foggy and hard to navigate. You decide to grab an egg as a souvenir then book it before you get so lost you can't find your way off the island. I really don't think the in depth explanations are necessary here. Every culture has some mysterious legend - some mysterious place, some mysterious creature, whatever. It's not like this would be world-breaking to add without giving it an extremely detailed backstory. The eggs get on the island like the eggs get anywhere else. The parents nudge them there for humans to pick up. Voila.

Some other ideas:

if we were going with the 'foggy' thing, why not just make the eggs appear fogged if people try to 'sneak peek' at what they are?
I really like the idea of the eggs appearing to be fogged if you tried to sneak a peek.  ;) Maybe they could even arrive on your scroll as a fogged egg and have to be unfogged before you knew what you had.

How about something like this:

As you enter the (whatever it ends up being), your vision is suddenly obscured by a dark mist. Through the fog, you can just make out a pile of eggs on the ground.

You don't want to disturb any dragons that may be in there with you, but you think perhaps you could steal one, although you cannot see them clearly. Which do you take?

----------------------------------

Covers the fact that you have no idea if there are any dragons around.

MAYBE an added feature for "FAILED !" instead of "you cannot find" could be "a dragon materialises out of the mist and hurls you out of the cave/off the island with its massive paw..." XD

Any massive description doesn't show up in any of the other biomes, so where's the issue ? This LONG stuff is for the encyclopaedia...

I like this. The full story behind the foggy biome can show up in the Encyclopedia, but this wording is perfect for playing the cave itself.

I'd prefer not to have a failure rate since everyone is likely to constantly get commons that they didn't necessarily need. It's already enough that we can't see the eggs, I think.

No - that would be just the message you get when you don't get the egg - in the USUAL biomes, there's those two failure messages: "You try to grab the egg but someone was quicker". and "try as you might you cannot find.."
I would prefer something like, "You thought there was an egg here, but it was just the fog playing tricks on you." and/or maybe "You pick up something that looks like an egg, only to find out it's just a large rock."
I just liked the idea that the dragons that cannot be seen for mist are WATCHING YOU :ph34r:
It's okay, but it makes it seem...iunno, like I wouldn't want to go there? Like now I'm sort of kicked out forever. That's kind of how I see that message. iunno I can't explain it very well.

I sort of feel like if there's a dragon right there that kicks you out, there would then be appropriate messages saying "You really don't want to risk going in there right now. Maybe later?" or something. That's what it makes me think would happen and thus would make the place a bit unappealing.

EDIT: Not saying we can't have that swatting dragon message, I'm just saying that's what I thought of when I saw it. XD I wouldn't mind perhaps a message about seeing movement that looks like a dragon, or seeing glowing eyes, or feeling like a bunch of eyes are watching you, or hearing breathing, or a dragon roaring at you. It would be cool and make the place feel creepy.

As for the biome text, here's my contribution:

"As you explore through the oceans, you come across a mysterious and foggy island. It's hard to see on the island, but you hear the sounds of wildlife around you and stumble upon what feels like a pile of eggs.

You don't want to disturb the wildlife, but the eggs seem unguarded. You can feel three eggs. Which do you take?"

------

Partially related topic(s):

Random Egg/Mystery Egg

Generic Cave, where eggs from any biome can be found (though there's no mention of them being totally random. As in hidden, that is).

I'll add other somewhat-related topics that others think I should as the thread goes on.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Not directly related, but I would love to see the sneak peek thing blocked if that's possible... (now hit me !)

Love it! I'd play the egg lotto in the foggy biome. xd.png

Not directly related, but I would love to see the sneak peek thing blocked if that's possible... (now hit me !)

To me, this would be absolutely necessary in order to have this idea work at all. Otherwise the good stuff would get cherry-picked and the rest would just sit there.

If there was no possibility of a sneak peek then I think this idea could be fun and give people a chance at rares that they wouldn't otherwise have. There would be no more rares there than in any other biome, but the fast clickers wouldn't have an advantage here.

Edited by purplehaze

This sounds like it will potentially be a lot of fun! I give it my full support smile.gif

Agree. No hitting necessary! biggrin.gif

If it is that foggy, there should be NO way to know what you're getting. wink.gif

And I don't know that the Biome needs to be any larger than any of the others. I suspect that would keep eggs moving faster, since the only way to know what an egg is, is to pick it up. I think a larger Biome would only benefit those who want to take sneak peeks. rolleyes.gif

Would it be feasible, from an RP perspective at least, to have a region perpetually covered with fog? Would it make sense that all the dragons could be found there? Would spriters want their dragons, most of which were designed for specific habitats, to be found in one biome?

As far as I remember, things like this came up in my old mystery egg thread linked in the first post (which had a fair bit of discussion on this kind of thing, as I recall).

Edit: if we were going with the 'foggy' thing, why not just make the eggs appear fogged if people try to 'sneak peek' at what they are?

Edited by TheGrox

I really like the idea of the eggs appearing to be fogged if you tried to sneak a peek. wink.gif Maybe they could even arrive on your scroll as a fogged egg and have to be unfogged before you knew what you had.

And I see no reason at all for this biome to have more eggs than the others.

Would it be feasible, from an RP perspective at least, to have a region perpetually covered with fog? Would it make sense that all the dragons could be found there? Would spriters want their dragons, most of which were designed for specific habitats, to be found in one biome?

As far as I remember, things like this came up in my old mystery egg thread linked in the first post (which had a fair bit of discussion on this kind of thing, as I recall).

Edit: if we were going with the 'foggy' thing, why not just make the eggs appear fogged if people try to 'sneak peek' at what they are?

I think so! It's too foggy to tell what the area looks like, so it's highly possible it has bits of everything. Either that, or it could be an interesting magical place. idk, Greys can be found in all the biomes, so maybe they have something to do with it. :P

I really like the idea of the eggs appearing to be fogged if you tried to sneak a peek.  ;) Maybe they could even arrive on your scroll as a fogged egg and have to be unfogged before you knew what you had.

And I see no reason at all for this biome to have more eggs than the others.

Well, I suggested more eggs only because there's ALL the eggs to consider, instead of just the ones in the habitat. It could stay at three, though.

Also I LOVE the idea of them showing up fogged on your scroll, and even fogged if you try to take a peak at them. It makes sense.

Great idea!

--------------

Wow! This egg is large! *picks it up* *unfogs it* OH GOD ITS NOT AN EGG ITS A DRAGON! RU-

Drinking_Water burned to death.

How would one "sneak a peek"?

Open the egg page without "obtaining" the egg, replace the 'adopt' with 'view', voila!

Ahahaha if there was a foggy biome, that would literally be the only biome I would hunt in. No joke. So yes, support!

Open the egg page without "obtaining" the egg, replace the 'adopt' with 'view', voila!

Ahahaha if there was a foggy biome, that would literally be the only biome I would hunt in. No joke. So yes, support!

And thus, if the eggs were fogged upon obtaining (and actually technically even before you pick them up), it would prevent seeing what it actually is.

I know, right? I would definitely try my luck hunting there, even if I only pick up one or two eggs when I fill up all my slots. I think it would be an interesting way to hunt and would spawn new kinds of projects in the future. o3o

I'm not sure what kinds of perks other than being totally random and having something like "foggy biome" on the dragons' pages would be, though. I feel like maybe they should have something to give users slightly more incentive, but at the same time I feel like the lotto aspect of it would be enough. o3o Who knows.

I would probably nab way too many eggs from this, fun idea!

Whilst I'd quite like this, I still think I'd prefer a mystery egg of some sort in each biome. Mostly for the reasons I posted earlier, which seem to have been skipped over.

Where would you place this random mystical foggy place with a bit of everything in it on the map, for example?

Edited by TheGrox

Whilst I'd quite like this, I still think I'd prefer a mystery egg of some sort in each biome. Mostly for the reasons I posted earlier, which seem to have been skipped over.

Where would you place this random mystical foggy place with a bit of everything in it on the map, for example?

Maybe it could technically be more than one location. There isn't just one volcano, or one forest, coast, or even desert. If you look at the map, when you pass your cursor over the biome names, more than one spot will light up on most of them.

I did reply to you, you know:

I think so! It's too foggy to tell what the area looks like, so it's highly possible it has bits of everything. Either that, or it could be an interesting magical place. idk, Greys can be found in all the biomes, so maybe they have something to do with it. :P

It's quite possible the area moves around somehow. I know if many different games and books and other things like that, there's often a mysterious island that is never in the same place twice (or it at least moves between set locations). So it's possible it could be like that and thus maybe not on the map, or perhaps the spot it's in moves every hour or so to a different set spot. It would still have eggs on it from where it was before. I don't know what's keeping the eggs safe from dying when they're in a place so drastically different from their regular home, but it's possible that the strange fog keeps them safe and/or they're not around the different biomes long enough to do much harm.

I really don't think RP reasons are really all that important. If I have to give reasoning though, I'd say it's something like that. I will use magic in this sense only because a magical, foggy island seems fine. It's a mystery, after all. Some sense can be given to it, but I'd rather it be almost a complete mystery.

Also, I do have to agree with Nectaris:

Maybe it could technically be more than one location.  There isn't just one volcano, or one forest, coast, or even desert.  If you look at the map, when you pass your cursor over the biome names, more than one spot will light up on most of them.

...though, I do think it's maybe one island that travels around. Maybe there are more. Maybe they all move around. Maybe they all have bits of different "biomes" on them, essentially. Maybe it's a combination.

But really why does it matter too much? I don't really care if some things are fully explained, since it's supposed to be a magical, mythical medieval world.

Personally, I'd prefer the idea of the Foggy Biome over mystery eggs in all the Biomes. <3

In rl, the eternally foggy place is called Pacifica, on the northern California coast. It's fairly ethinicaly diverse. They even have an annual Fog Fest. rolleyes.gif

...though, I do think it's maybe one island that travels around. Maybe there are more. Maybe they all move around. Maybe they all have bits of different "biomes" on them, essentially. Maybe it's a combination.

But really why does it matter too much? I don't really care if some things are fully explained, since it's supposed to be a magical, mythical medieval world.

I like the idea of a mystery island or islands that include small areas that duplicate the conditions of each biome.

I do get a bit frustrated, though, with everything having to make total sense and have a totally logical RP explanation. Can't a mystery just be a mystery?

Could be some kind of cave - not accessible from the map, even ? or a "hole" somewhere - where eggs accidentally managed to roll to when dropped in subsiding areas of their native biome.

Edited by fuzzbucket

lol I'm going to take a guess that you do not live in the northwest TheGrox. Anyways reoccurring fog is a very common weather formation for certain climates. Usually damp or warm ones that border a large body of water~ soooo we would just have to pick a spot on the map near water which should be easy...

In fact... this could pass for a swamp, mystical lake, or just a foggy climate zone probably.... were dragons from all over get lost or trapped in............... :l idk. It's like a Fire Fog Swamp were there's dire rats n stuff.

Anyways I do like the idea. Although really I support any fogged random egg Idea. I just like this one because it's even more random than one egg in each area.

I love it! Yes you should unfog your egg after getting it. It's like wrapping out a gift from the paper smile.gif

Would you still be able to see its code? Then, again, I'm 200% in favor of nine more CB eggs available at a time.

Well the only place I could think of that might not get fog was the desert, however it seems that even some deserts get fog

https://www.google.com/search?q=desert+fog&...lient=firefox-a

so I don't see why it couldn't work for all the different dragons, maybe some central spot where all the biomes meet or just a foggy spot that has elements of all the biomes

This sounds like a great idea, but one thing

How would we keep thousands of dragons from being abandoned if they were commons? It might not sound bad, since the AP doesn't block the cave anymore, but still. Thousands of dragons dying if they weren't wanted.

I'm pretty sure dragons won't be "dying". Everything gets picked up when it's incuhatchable and definitely when it's ER in the AP anyway.