TJ09

2023-06-25 - June Dragon Release

I need to save enough shards to buy Stats, Golds and Silvers from the Market (never seen any in the biomes) before I'd even consider the Russian Roulette approach of seeking White Vespines in the Market.  Ask me again in 5 years time 🤣

I have no whites yet, but I also don't have enough shards on hand that I'd feel comfortable just gambling them away when some folks are reporting 30+ yellows in a row 😬That's a definite yikes for me. Think I'll just wait a bit and see if I can't get my one CB prize dragon to throw a prize offspring that I can try to trade for one, since I'm not really great at catching rares from the cave to try and trade. I'd like to at least try and have a few CB pairs of the white ones, so I'm hoping the ratios will get better. 

4 breed attempts - 3 CB Yellow pairs and one CB Yellow with CB Berry Drake.  All Yellow.  All headed to the AP.   This really is hugely disappointing - especially with such lovely dragons from @Infinis.  

On a more positive note - thrilled to win a Silver Western in the June Raffle.  Like @Daypaw, will hope for some trading success in the future.

And, aside from all the frustration, want to say a big thank you to the Spriters and to TJ for the pretty dragons and for putting up with all our gripes to bring us this highly addictive pastime.

Wasted shards on three more yellows I don't need. Every breeding attempt has given me yellows. All my trades were declined and the one trade offered to me (for a 2G gold) disappeared from the market when I clicked on it. Meanwhile my sister got a white from the market in her first try. 

I haven't seen any Vespines drop in nearly a week. This is a serious bummer. 

Edited by RagaDal

i've caught at least 15 since the flood, and every single one has been yellow. i'm about to start biting people

Hmmm...  Hope I have luck to get the 2G which I love in hub. Yesterday I saw 3, 2 of them my copper still on cool down, the final one lose to a 2G prize...alot Okay as least I've got 2 by my copper just now (I only need the 2nd one, not my favourite but can accept.) Not a easy job when everyone still compete for them. I hope I could get the final one by my dino.

ps. Anyone still looking for yellows?

Fyr: My ratio 38:6.

Edited by D-wing

8 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

In the hope of scoring a white :D  I've been doing that. You have a message !

Ah, I mean like weirdly I've seen somebody (not on the forums/Discord) say they were doing it to give people hunting the AP chances at yellows which was wild to see since peoplenare already dumping yellows for whites...  There's really no need for a dedicated effort to spread the yellows to the AP from the cave lol

I caught whites on a release day, it was hard 

but now I don’t even see drakes in biomes, I wish to catch some whites for my friends 😕 

And I won the ruffle, I’m so happy 😃 

Since I'll never have enough shards for a Stat, I spent my last 600 for three Vespine eggs.

Well, needless to say they all where yellow... :(

Like usual, I am the odd man out. I really enjoyed this release. I like the fact that this release was more rare than the past few (which were super common). Having the occasional rare/uncommon breed means that there is some variety in the dragons and (as far as I know) this is our first rare drake. Sure, not everyone got a CB White Vespine on release. I didn't either! To me, that is fine because we are still just 1 week out from the release date. These dragons aren't going anywhere. What is the rush to get the rare white variant now?

I am looking forward to having something difficult to hunt for and, after that, a challenging breeding project to make a white Vespine checker.

Edited by BringsTheSnow

1 hour ago, BringsTheSnow said:

Like usual, I am the odd man out. I really enjoyed this release. I like the fact that this release was more rare than the past few (which were super common). Having the occasional rare/uncommon breed means that there is some variety in the dragons and (as far as I know) this is our first rare drake. Sure, not everyone got a CB White Vespine on release. I didn't either! To me, that is fine because we are still just 1 week out from the release date. These dragons aren't going anywhere. What is the rush to get the rare white variant now?

I am looking forward to having something difficult to hunt for and, after that, a challenging breeding project to make a white Vespine checker.

I have a feeling the rarity might be false rarity due to demand. Yellow drake eggs are only 200 in market.

The white alt's more rare, but I don't think it's gonna be as rare as metals and stat, it's just the high demand for it right now causing scarcity. We wont know really till hype dies down on the rarity.

The eggs description also throws people off since it's very close to other eggs, so there could be more hitting the cave than is noticed.

Finally saw another drake in the cave since the flood ended and it's yellow. 🫠

1 hour ago, Arken said:

I have a feeling the rarity might be false rarity due to demand. Yellow drake eggs are only 200 in market.

The white alt's more rare, but I don't think it's gonna be as rare as metals and stat, it's just the high demand for it right now causing scarcity. We wont know really till hype dies down on the rarity.

The eggs description also throws people off since it's very close to other eggs, so there could be more hitting the cave than is noticed.

This - so much !

3 hours ago, BringsTheSnow said:

I agree with you, but I was also lucky with finding a white after the initial drop (and getting another special find).

The new dragons are just gorgeous, the drakes are probably among my favourites now. :wub: Cannot decide whether I like the beautiful colour, their faces or their patterned wings best. And the Incense dragons are just lovely, such a pretty pastel colour as well.

2 hours ago, Arken said:

I agree completely! Some people I have talked to compared the new drake's rarity to Gemshards, which sounds about right based on what I have seen in the cave. I am guessing they will balance out to be uncommon, with only the white alt being rare. But that is just a guess!

1 hour ago, BringsTheSnow said:

I agree completely! Some people I have talked to compared the new drake's rarity to Gemshards, which sounds about right based on what I have seen in the cave. I am guessing they will balance out to be uncommon, with only the white alt being rare. But that is just a guess!

Think you're right about it being gemshard rare and gemshards are often dropped in the AP ( how got mine). So getting the yellow eggs wont be to hard( and 200 market so easy to get them). I got a white egg from breeding my yellow with a morph drake, I'm okay with not having a CB white, it is not less a white Vesp dragon being a 2nd gen or higher than a CB IMO.

Anybody know an active encyclopedia, the two I bookmarked seem not to get updates anymore and I need to unlock the white vespine^^

1 minute ago, Su_Halcon said:

Anybody know an active encyclopedia, the two I bookmarked seem not to get updates anymore and I need to unlock the white vespine^^

Have you looked in the Encyclopedia Helpers thread? I don't know if it's gonna be enough for you to unlock, but people were posting their Vespines there.

Nah, they're gonna remain worse than gemshards currently are in terms of frustration.

With gemshards you can at least increase the odds of getting the color you need/want based on day of the week thanks to the change in their behavior.

These will instead continue be a massive pain in the butt forcing you to gamble against absolutely abysmal odds (considering the rate of shard earning) in the market if you want a white one,  especially if they're on tbe rarer end of uncommon in the cave.  Unless a mercy-change is introduced to give us odds of influencing which color we get based on something we can easily control, but I don't see that happening.

35 minutes ago, KageSora said:

Nah, they're gonna remain worse than gemshards currently are in terms of frustration.

With gemshards you can at least increase the odds of getting the color you need/want based on day of the week thanks to the change in their behavior.

These will instead continue be a massive pain in the butt forcing you to gamble against absolutely abysmal odds (considering the rate of shard earning) in the market if you want a white one,  especially if they're on tbe rarer end of uncommon in the cave.  Unless a mercy-change is introduced to give us odds of influencing which color we get based on something we can easily control, but I don't see that happening.

i think introducing the ability to offer shards as well as eggs/hatchlings in trading would make it a little less unbearable, but... yeah, i agree. the odds are abysmal.

OH my I just realised the wiki hasn't included the male incense - I just saw one for the first time !

ETA MY they fixed that fast !

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I think the Incense male was the last to mature, and once it did I got started on some housekeeping to prep the draft articles for the new breeds and forgot to loop around to add the sprite to the current release article 😅

1 hour ago, rabbithaver said:

i think introducing the ability to offer shards as well as eggs/hatchlings in trading would make it a little less unbearable, but... yeah, i agree. the odds are abysmal.

Depends, I think--if the cap of earned shards isn't raised then being able to earn shards via trades won't help because you'll still only be able to get 100 a week (and it's really not super hard to do that), and as for trading the shards directly to people who have the dragon you want...  I mean, I expect they'd just ask you for more shards that a roll in the market costs if they have a CB one so in the end you might be better off gambling anyway.

And, honestly, cost in the market doesn't always reflect the actual odds of getting a CB dragon.  I cannot count the number of Ridgewings I have seen while hunting other dragons but I have not seen almost any False-Headed Hydras since their release despite the Ridgewings costing 400 (as of now) in the market to gamble on if you want a Tan, but the FHH costing 200 (as of now).  Half the price but way rarer to actually spot in-cave from my experience--AND no gamble on it since you can just grab all of the FHH eggs via the market.

So Vespines only costing 200 (for now) does not necessarily indicate they'll be significantly easier to obtain once people start getting their fill or giving up completely on them.

(Honestly, just look at Magmas lmao.  3100 shards right now which puts them higher than both Golds and Silvers, and yet it's relatively easy to come across a Magma meanwhile many players haven't seen a CB metal in years--if ever!  Not necessarily obtained, but at least seen.)

Maybe they will!  Maybe eventually it'll ease up!  But I don't think people can go "well they're just gonna be uncommon, look they're only 200 shards so it's not like they'll be super rare", either, because that's just not guaranteed to be true.

5 hours ago, KageSora said:

Depends, I think--if the cap of earned shards isn't raised then being able to earn shards via trades won't help because you'll still only be able to get 100 a week (and it's really not super hard to do that), and as for trading the shards directly to people who have the dragon you want...  I mean, I expect they'd just ask you for more shards that a roll in the market costs if they have a CB one so in the end you might be better off gambling anyway.

And, honestly, cost in the market doesn't always reflect the actual odds of getting a CB dragon.  I cannot count the number of Ridgewings I have seen while hunting other dragons but I have not seen almost any False-Headed Hydras since their release despite the Ridgewings costing 400 (as of now) in the market to gamble on if you want a Tan, but the FHH costing 200 (as of now).  Half the price but way rarer to actually spot in-cave from my experience--AND no gamble on it since you can just grab all of the FHH eggs via the market.

So Vespines only costing 200 (for now) does not necessarily indicate they'll be significantly easier to obtain once people start getting their fill or giving up completely on them.

(Honestly, just look at Magmas lmao.  3100 shards right now which puts them higher than both Golds and Silvers, and yet it's relatively easy to come across a Magma meanwhile many players haven't seen a CB metal in years--if ever!  Not necessarily obtained, but at least seen.)

Maybe they will!  Maybe eventually it'll ease up!  But I don't think people can go "well they're just gonna be uncommon, look they're only 200 shards so it's not like they'll be super rare", either, because that's just not guaranteed to be true.

yea I think the alt colors all need be in market if they can be caught in the cave, makes it tad annoying that one is forced to gamble and not able to get. The cost on the egg can be upped if it's supposed to be rarer. But with the numbers that are dropping shards to try and get a white vesp, there's a likeliness the cost is gonna inflate.

1 hour ago, Arken said:

yea I think the alt colors all need be in market if they can be caught in the cave, makes it tad annoying that one is forced to gamble and not able to get. The cost on the egg can be upped if it's supposed to be rarer. But with the numbers that are dropping shards to try and get a white vesp, there's a likeliness the cost is gonna inflate.

Supposedly the shard price is tied with the ratios somehow but that has never made sense because magmas lol.  But I don't think they're able to be individually altered?  Unless they have different encyclopedia entries because the market is also tied there...

Honestly in cases like this maybe it would be better to split them into different encyclopedia entries, put them both in the market, and let them be priced according to their variation if that would mechanically work?  It might make less sense lore-wise but there are sometimes points where you must be open sacrificing lore elements in favor of sanity-saving gameplay elements unless you want to drive player frustration (which can easily be pushed into resentment and dislike) up.

And, well.  Considering the Stats, I don't think it's unreasonable for users to be very concerned about not being able to get as close to their scroll goals as they can right away--nobody knows when the next dragon that will be virtually impossible to find CB and will find its price driven up through the roof over time will be.  And when a dragon proves very hard to find after...  That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that it won't be near impossible for the average player to get.

(Especially as you seem to have to gamble hundreds or thousands of shards to get one unless RNG favors you that day)