Little-Star

250 book challenge 2022-2023

Book Number: 13

Number Of Pages: 624

Book Title: Last Breath

Author: Robert Bryndza

Summary: Erika Foster is at it again in this novel. She must find the man keeping and torturing women before murdering them, and another young woman has just gone missing. 

Review:  4.5/5 since Erika felt much more real in this novel. She's grown on me so much since the beginning, even if Isaac and Moss are the superior characters. lol

Edited by AsymDoll13
Wrong book number!

Book Number: 68

Number Of Pages: 308

Book Title: A House Like a Lotus

Author: Madeleine L'Engle

Summary: Sixteen-year-old Polly O'Keefe travels to Athens and then Cyprus, hoping to find a way to remember Max as more than a painful memory.

Book Number: 34

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: What If ? Serious Scientific answers to absurd hypotetical questions

Author: Randell Munroe

Book Number: 14

Number Of Pages: 616

Book Title:  Cold Blood

Summary: DCI Erika Foster has to find out who's killed again. These victims are found in suitcases in the Thames River in London. She must use her fiery disposition to figure out who did it before it's too late for a kidnapped pair of twin girls. 

Review: 5/5 Holy moly! That ending is explosive! The chapters with the killer's POV are also fascinating!

Book Number: 15

Number Of Pages: 580

Book Title:  Cold Blood

Summary: DCI Erika Foster is back at it again! This time the murder of a young burlesque dancer is on the table. The cops are tasked with finding out if this murder has anything to do with the attacks of men and women by someone in a gas mask!

Review: 4/5 The end twist is very well done, but it's not my favorite of this series. I dunno. Something about it seemed... less great, but it's still a fantastic read for those who like gritty female led detective stories! 

Edited by AsymDoll13
Fixed the book numbers! lol

Book Number: 69

Number Of Pages: 394

Book Title: Bookends

Author: Jane Green

Summary: When Portia returns into the lives of Cath, Si, Josh, and Lucy, none of them can predict how their lives will change.

Book Number: 93
Number Of Pages: 368
Book Title: Elite
Author: Mercedes Lackey

Book Number: 94
Number Of Pages: 304
Book Title: Apex
Author: Mercedes Lackey

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 372

Book Title: Fatal Witness

Summary: This is the last book (so far) in the DCI Erika Foster series. Erika is on the case of a serial abuser/murderer of two young women. She has a new home, maybe a new boyfriend, and an adorable new cat (who adopted her lol). 

Review: 3/5 The ending felt a bit rushed, which is sad since usually there are several twists and turns. Erika seems to have gotten herself together a bit more at this point however, so I'm here for it. ^^ It was a good book, just not a great book. 

Now I'm on to read the same author's series about a PI called Kate Marshall! Stay tuned for those reviews! ^^ And Happy New Year! 

Book Number: 35

Number Of Pages: 373

Book Title: Indiana Teller : Lune de Printemps (could translate as Indiana Teller: Sping Moon) - book 1 of 4 but not going to continue this serie

Author: Sophie Audoin-Mamikonian

Summary: Indiana Teller is a young man coming from an old familly of werewolves. His werewolf father married a human, and Inidiana was born as a human. One day, he discovers that like her mother before him, he has the power to travel in time. 

Book Number: 36

Number Of Pages: 346

Book Title: Les 5 Derniers Dragons : Soleil Noir (book 10 of 12)

Author: Danielle Dumais

Summary: Andrick and his company are travelling back to there homeland with the 5 dragons. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 96
Number Of Pages: 432
Book Title: Rise of the Vicious Princess
Author: CJ Redwine

Note: this was supposed to be my first book of 2023... but I couldn't stop myself and now I'm mad that I have to wait til July for the next one

Book Number: 37

Number Of Pages: 330

Book Title: Life's That Way

Author: Jim Beaver

Summary: In this memoir, Jim Beaver (actor from Deadwood and Supernatural) published his nightly emails to familly, friends and other people from the night his wife actress Cecily Adams (Star Trek Deep Space Nine) was diagnosed with a lung cancer, through her fight against it, her passing (march 3rd 2004) and the follwing months while taking care and raising their 2 years old daughter. 

That was a very sad read (and I listened to the audiobook read by Beaver himself 😭

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 38

Number Of Pages: 220

Book Title: Les Contes Interdits : La chasse Galerie

Author: Gabriel Thériault

Book Number: 22

Number Of Pages: 246

Book Title: How Far to Bethlehem?

Author: Norah Lofts

Summary: A fanciful retelling of the Nativity story detailing the backstory of the characters and how they came to be there.

Review: While I enjoyed most of the book, I had a hard time getting past the introduction to the first of the magi -- a lot of detail about a character that I didn't find very sympathetic. Once I got past that I did enjoy the author's fresh take on characters that the Biblical story gives very few details about.

Book Number: 17

Number Of Pages: 391

Book Title: Nine Elms

Summary: Kate Marshall is an ex cop who caught a serial killing colleague, but she found herself demonized in the media due to a relationship she had with him. The result was his arrest, she left the force, and they had a little boy not long after he was put away. She now works as a professor and teaches criminology to students. With the help of her assistant, Tristian, she's asked to help find a young woman that went missing around the time that the cop was killing. Along with a copycat for the "Nine Elms Cannibal," Kate finds herself pulled back into the world of finding killers and dealing with police officers. 

Review: 4/5, so it's good. I liked this as a beginning to a series. Kate is relatable, and the issues with AA and alcohol make her extremely down to earth. Her love for her son is adorable, and the way she treats Tristian like a second son is the cutest thing (plus he's a cutie-patootie lol). I really enjoyed it. 

Happy New Year! Last book of the year! Whoo!

Book Number: 97
Number Of Pages: 293
Book Title: Behind Closed Doors
Author: BA Paris

Book Number: 98
Number Of Pages:
Book Title: Castles in Their Bones
Author:  Laura Sebastian

Thank you all so very much for creating and participating in this challenge. Because of you and the competition and support I have read more than 100 books over my previous yearly best. I finished 2022 at 252 books. Here's to trying to complete the challenge this time!

Book Number: 18

Number Of Pages: 306

Book Title: Shadow Sands

Summary: Kate Marshall and Tristian Harper, her adorable assistant are on the case of another killer! This time a reservoir is involved as well as a very rich family. There are secrets near the reservoir~ 

Review: 5/5 because Tristian is gay. And the author is too, so he's really good at writing things about the LBGTQIA+. I love it!