Little-Star

250 book challenge 2022-2023

Book Number: 16
Number Of Pages: 348
Book Title: Star of Persia: Esther's Story
Author: Jill Eileen Smith

Summary: Biblical fiction retelling the story of Queen Esther. Caught in the middle of palace politics, Esther will find herself in an impossible position: risk her life or consign her people to annihilation.

Review: Interesting take on a well-known story. I liked that it was told from the point of view of multiple characters, which seemed to give it more depth.

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 489 (once again epub since they make me happy)

Book Title:  Abhorsen

Author: Garth Nix

Summary: Prince Sameth and Lirael must team up with The Disreputable Dog and Mogget the cat (two animals that are much more than they seem from shapeshifting to speaking) to take down an ancient evil from well before most people can remember. 

Review: 5/5 When I tell ya'll that this series is one of my favorites... I totally mean it. It's so good! I'm obsessed with the Disreputable Dog and her devotion to her "mistress" Lirael. It's so good! 

Book Number: 62

Number Of Pages: 197

Book Title: A Little Bit Country

Author: Debbie Macomber

Summary: When Rorie Campbell's car breaks down en route to a writing retreat, she's rescued by a handsome horse rancher.

Book Number: 63

Number Of Pages: 177

Book Title: Country Bride

Author: Debbie Macomber

Summary: Kate Logan is devastated when her former fiance marries someone else. At the wedding, she spontaneously proposes to her long-time friend Luke Rivers, and he accepts.

(Published two books in one volume as A Country Affair.)

Book Number: 64

Number Of Pages: 208

Book Title: Noonie's Masterpiece

Author: Lisa Railsback

Illustrator: Sarajo Frieden

Summary: Noonie is an artist, in fourth grade, but has trouble deciding what she wants to paint for the art contest.

Before I begin, I'd like to say that I haven't abandoned this thread.  What happened is that one night I fell down and broke my arm in two places.  For some time, I wasn't able to read, not to mention type, due to the pain meds I had it take, but it's healing now and even though I'll be typing one handed for quite a while, I figured it was time to start doing it.  Please excuse any errors I make.  :D

Book Number:  26

Number of Pages:  266

Book Title:   A Bisket, a Casket

Author:  Delia Rosen

Book Number:  27

Number of Pages:  256

Book Title:   One Foot in the Gravy

Book Number:  28

Number of Pages:  256

Book Title:   A Killer in the Rye

Book Number:  29

Number of Pages:  309

Book Title:   From Herring to Eternity

Book Number:  30

Number of Pages:  297

Book Title:   To Kill a Matzo Ball

Book Number:  31

Number of Pages:  282

Book Title:   Fry Me a Liver

Summary/Review:  My first group was the cozy Deadly Deli Mystery series.  The stories revolved around a New York woman who inherited her uncle's Jewish deli in Nashville Tennessee.  It has plenty of humor as well as mystery, and some good recipes too.  The cover art adds a touch of fun to the stories within.  A generous sprinkling of ethnic vocabulary words also added considerable interest to this fine series.

Edited by Stormcaller

2 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

What happened is that one night I fell down and broke my arm in two places. 

Oh gosh! So sorry! Glad you are healing. When I had my bout with a bad elbow I learned how to do a lot of things left-handed, but being one-handed is not fun!

4 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Oh gosh! So sorry! Glad you are healing. When I had my bout with a bad elbow I learned how to do a lot of things left-handed, but being one-handed is not fun!

Thanks, purplehaze,  it certainly is not!  🙁

Book Number: 25

Number Of Pages: 660

Book Title: Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass #6)

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 248 (only this time it's... *gasp* PRINT???)

Book Title:  Jack the Ripper's Streets of Terrors: Life during the reign of Victorian London's most Brutal Killer

Author: Rupert Matthews

Summary: Rupert Matthews takes one on a journey through the horrific murders of the killer, Jack the Ripper. This book has some eyewitness accounts/articles/all sorts of fun things to look into. As a historian, I'm so happy to read this book. 

Review: 4/5 This book is good, but I almost wish more had been said about each of the ladies, sure each one gets a chapter, but at the same time... I want more? lol 

Book Number: 65

Number Of Pages: 341

Book Title: The Other Lady Vanishes

Author: Amanda Quick

Summary: In 1930s California, Adelaide escapes from a private sanitarium and finds shelter in Burning Cove, where she meets Jake. Together they are drawn into a world of duplicity and misdirection.

Book Number: 26

Number Of Pages: 208

Book Title: Alice's Adventure in Wonderland

Author: Carrol Lewis

Summary: Alice fell through a hole and ends up in a very strange world. 

I totally went for the audiobook read by Scarlett Johanson XD (included for free with audible subscription)

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 17
Number Of Pages: 416
Book Title: The Things We Cannot Say
Author: Kelly Rimmer

Summary: This story weaves together the narratives of Alina, a young woman struggling to survive the Second World War in Poland, and Alice, who undertakes a journey to uncover the secrets of her dying grandmother's past.

Review: Told in two timelines, alternating between a modern-day mother with unique challenges and a young girl who grows to be a woman in Nazi-occupied Poland, this book kept me completely engaged with both women. It is a story of love and loss, of the horrors of war and the unquenchable hope of the human spirit, and the power of love. I could not put this book down!

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 228

Book Title: Through the Looking Glass

Author: Lewis Carroll

Summary: Follow up on Alice's Adventure in Wonderland but this time she travel inside the looking glass world. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 387

Book Title:  The Girl in the Ice

Author: Robert Bryndza

Summary: Detective Erika Foster is back from a long leave after losing her police officer husband. She's pulled back in to help solve the mysterious disappearance of young woman Andrea Douglas-Brown, the daughters of a prominent politician (I can't remember what he is, but he's knighted and stuff lol). 

Review: 4.5/5 This was a fun ride. I was convinced that someone had done it, and boom! Nope! It was the guy that I thought earlier was the bad guy. What a ride. And there are more of these?? Let's go~ ❤️ 

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: 321

Book Title: Rêves et Cauchemars (Dreams and Nightmares)

Author: Alexandre Charbonneau

Summary: Each times Léandre goes to sleeps, he ends up in front of 2 stairs where he has to choose one to go. There is no logic on how and when as it changes places constantly, but one leads to a good dream and the other one to an horrible nightmares. 

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 347

Book Title:  Across the Wall

Author: Garth Nix

Summary: A fun little book filled with Nix's stories ranging from fantasy to Arthurian to a western! Tons of fun!

Review: 5/5 because I love one of the stories that much! lol  (Also giving my new Kindle a 100000/5 because I'm in love with it. xD)

Book Number: 29

Number Of Pages: 250

Book Title: Fairest of All

Author: Serena Valantino

Summary: The Snow White story but from the point of view of the Evil Queen