Little-Star

250 book challenge 2022-2023

Book Number: 131
Number Of Pages: 300
Book Title: Fearless Magic
Author: Rachel Higginson

Question: I know how to work manga for this challenge, but would a similar concept apply for novellas? For example, I have 2 coming up in my current series, one is around 75 pages, one is around 90. Could I add them together in one entry to count as a book?

9 hours ago, autumnbrandolyn said:

Question: I know how to work manga for this challenge, but would a similar concept apply for novellas? For example, I have 2 coming up in my current series, one is around 75 pages, one is around 90. Could I add them together in one entry to count as a book?

That's a good question, never thought about that. If they are part of the same serie (or added to another novel of the serie they are part of), why not. Tho if they are stand alones, I would not count them (as for mangas/comics it says they have to be part of a serie and I would apply the same rule to novellas).

Can others give their opinion on this ? I know I'm the host but I'm the original one (the account who started this have been inactive for a few years now) so I didn't make the rules. 

Edited by Little-Star

47 minutes ago, Little-Star said:

For example, I have 2 coming up in my current series, one is around 75 pages, one is around 90. Could I add them together in one entry to count as a book?

I think this is a good solution. It would take you over the 100 page threshold.

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 412

Book Title: Endsinger

Author: Jay Kristoff

Summary: The finale of the Lotus War trilogy exposes the truth of the Guild and the Lotus Blooms. As the invaders and Shimans work together to save the world from the emergence of Hell, Yukiko and Buruu must rally the other arashitora and anyone they can for one final stand against the ultimate evil.

The series closed well with this book, but due to the cultural insensitivities in the first book, and the fact the climax of this felt rushed, I can't recommend this series.

21 hours ago, Little-Star said:

If they are part of the same serie (or added to another novel of the serie they are part of), why not. Tho if they are stand alones, I would not count them (as for mangas/comics it says they have to be part of a serie and I would apply the same rule to novellas).

I think this is a great compromise, I'll do this unless we hear any objections. Thank you!

Book Number: 132
Number Of Pages: 349
Book Title: Endless Magic

Book number: 27

Number of pages: 202

Book Title: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 1: The Magician's Nephew

Author: C. S. Lewis

Summary: Digory and Polly meet and become friends one cold, wet summer in London. Their lives burst into adventure when Digory's Uncle Andrew, who thinks he is a magician, sends them hurtling to . . . somewhere else.

Review: I had read at least this book and the next in the series, years ago when my kids were growing up. The series is a nice children's story at one level and something deeper on another.

Book Number: 26

Number Of Pages: The Lost Castle

Book Title: 361

Author: Kristy Cambron

Summary: Ellie Carver is set to go to France to discover her grandmother's story at a castle during her time there in 1944. 

Review: I'd give this a solid 4/5. It was a bit slow at times, but the three women grew on me. And I'm not one for romance, but it was nicely put together, and the ending was adorable! ❤️ 

Book Number: 48

Number Of Pages: 381

Book Title: Lock Every Door

Author: Riley Sager

Summary: Jules recently lost her job and her boyfriend, she now needs a new job and place to live. While looking in ads, she found an appartment sitting job where she then apply. She ends up at the Bartholomew where weird things start to happen. 

On 2/3/2023 at 2:33 PM, purplehaze said:

Book number: 27

Number of pages: 202

Book Title: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 1: The Magician's Nephew

Summary: Digory and Polly meet and become friends one cold, wet summer in London. Their lives burst into adventure when Digory's Uncle Andrew, who thinks he is a magician, sends them hurtling to . . . somewhere else.

Review: I had read at least this book and the next in the series, years ago when my kids were growing up. The series is a nice children's story at one level and something deeper on another.

I grew up with the original written order of this series and am very sad that I can't find them anymore. I know the order was re-arranged at the request of C.S. Lewis's estate, but I loved reading The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe first. 

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 339

Book Title: An Empty Swing: The Ravenwood Hauntings Book 1

Author: N.J. Hanson

Summary: While trying to escape from a bully, Luis Chavez runs to a playground to discover something scarier than his bully: he can see, hear, and interact with ghosts. After the ghost he meets, Alice Thomas, saves him from his bully, Luis realizes he can help bring peace not only to Alice, but to the other restless spirits that haunt the playground. But do all the spirits want to find rest?

See spoiler for trigger warnings:

Spoiler

Rape, murder, pedophilia, violence, graphic broken bones and blood, arson.

@purpledragonclaw I didn't realize the series had been rearranged. It looks like the set I have was published in 1994.

Book number: 28

Number of pages: 189

Book Title: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 2: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Summary: Four English schoolchildren find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia. There they meet the Great Lion, Aslan,  and assist him in defeating the White Witch who has cursed the land with eternal winter.

Book Number: 49

Number Of Pages: 317

Book Title: Dans l'univers des Contes Interdits: Klay le carnassier

Author: Maude Rucksthul 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number:   53

Number of Pages:   326

Book Title:  Half Resurrection Blues

Author:  Daniel Jose Older

Book Number:   54

Number of Pages:   319

Book Title:   Midnight Taxi Tango

Author:  Daniel Jose Older

Book Number:   55

Number of Pages:   317

Book Title:   Battle Hill Bolero

Author:  Daniel Jose Older 

These three books comprise the Bone Street Rumba novels.  They are urban fantasies that take place in what appears to be an alternate version of Brooklyn, NY.  

Book number: 29

Number of pages: 224

Book Title: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 3: The Horse and His Boy

Summary: During the Golden Age of Narnia, when Peter is High King, a boy named Shasta discovers he is not the son of the fisherman he thought was his father. He decides to run far away to the North -- to Narnia -- with a talking horse, Bree. When he is mistaken for another runaway, Shasta is led to discover who he really is and even finds his real father.

Book Number: 50

Number Of Pages: 192

Book Title:The Reptile room (A Series of Unfortunate Events 2/13)

Author: Lemony Snicket

Summary: After their at Olaf's, the children are semt to their "uncle" Monty who is a herpetologist. Count Olaf, disguised as Stephano finds them and is still trying ro get to the Beaudelaire's fortune. 

Book Number: 51

Number Of Pages: 214

Book Title: The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events 3/13)

Author: Lemony Snicket

Edited by Little-Star

Book number: 30

Number of pages: 223

Book Title: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 4: Prince Caspian

Summary: Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy are returning to boarding school for a new term when they are summoned from the train station to return to Narnia, where their help is desperately needed.

3 hours ago, Cheesecake_Raccoon said:

Pss, is there a chair for one more? Where do I sign up? 

Welcome 😁 you have been added to the list

Book Number: 52

Number Of Pages: 315

Book Title: Nevermore (Supernatural 1/17 (yes books based on the Supernatural TV show 😂))

Author: Keith R.A. DeCandido

Summary: Sam and Dean are going to New York to investigate a ghost haunting one of Ash's friend's house. Meanwhile they also investigate what looks like murders related to Edgar Allan Poe's stories. 

It's more of a feel of fanfictions than real canon stories but hey they are published as books so it counts 😂

10 hours ago, Little-Star said:

(yes books based on the Supernatural TV show 😂))

I adore supernatural, and also jensen ackles 🤣

Book Number: 134

Number Of Pages: 334

Book Title: The Relentless Warrior

Book Number: 135

Number Of Pages: 152

Book Title: Breathless Magic & Fateful Magic (Reckless Magic #6.5 & #6.75)

Book Number: 136

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: The Redeemable Prince

Book Number: 77

Number Of Pages: 319

Book Title: Amanda's Wedding

Author: Jenny Colgan

Summary: Best friends Mel and Fran don't think their friend Amanda has any business marrying Laird Fraser and are determined to kibosh the relationship.

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 660

Book Title: The Shining

Author: Stephen King

Summary: Jack Torrance (along with his wife and young son) find themselves snowed into the hotel that they're taking care of for the off-season. Are they the only ones there?

Review: 10000000000000000000/5 Fantastic! Brooding Jack Torrance and Wendy, his wife, amazing! Little Danny was so cute! I loved all of it! Gonna have to get Doctor Sleep at some point. 

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: The Hunting Party

Book Title: 329

Author: Lucy Foley

Summary: A group of old friends go to an isolated loch in the highlands of Scotland. One of them is murdered, and the killer is still around. 

Review: 3.5/5. Not the best. All of the characters sorta... sucked at first, but some of them got better, some did not. The ending felt a bit rushed, but it was okay. I'd try another book by Foley at some point, if given the chance. 

Book Number: 53

Number Of Pages: 216

Book Title: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Author: Douglas Adams