Little-Star

250 book challenge 2022-2023

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 624

Book Title: American Gods

Author: Neil Gaiman

Summary: After he gets out of prison, Shadow wants to live a normal and quiet live. He learns that his wife died in a car accident, he went to his funeral but on the way there, he met wednesday. Shadow get into a live he didn't ask to when accepting to work for Mr. Wednesday. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 7 8 Thanks @Little-Star for keeping me on track!

Number Of Pages: 699

Book Title: Great Lion of God

Author:  Taylor Caldwell

Summary: This book tells the story of Saul of Tarsus, later known as the apostle Paul.

Review: The book details his early life in excruciating detail, including extremely detailed descriptions of scenery and cities. However, it never makes him a likeable person -- even after his conversion to Christianity. I know he was a very opinionated and forceful man, who was often in conflict with others, but how such a disagreeable person as she describes could have established so many churches throughout the Roman world is hard to imagine. And only about a quarter of the book is actually devoted to that part of his life and totally omits describing his relationship with the people of those churches and his work there.

Edited by purplehaze

5 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 699

Book Title: Great Lion of God

Author:  Taylor Caldwell

Summary: This book tells the story of Saul of Tarsus, later known as the apostle Paul.

Review: The book details his early life in excruciating detail, including extremely detailed descriptions of scenery and cities. However, it never makes him a likeable person -- even after his conversion to Christianity. I know he was a very opinionated and forceful man, who was often in conflict with others, but how such a disagreeable person as she describes could have established so many churches throughout the Roman world is hard to imagine. And only about a quarter of the book is actually devoted to that part of his life and totally omits describing his relationship with the people of those churches and his work there.

That would be book #8 not #7

Book Number: 47
Number Of Pages: 367
Book Title: The Nature of Witches
Author: Rachel Griffin

Book Number: 48
Number Of Pages: 336
Book Title: Sing Me Forgotten
Author: Jessica Olson

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 689

Book Title: Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass #5)

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: Misery

Author: Stephen King

Summary: Paul Sheldon is a well known author with his serie on Misery Chastain. When he finished his new manuscript, he went to give it to his editor. On his way, he was caught in an accident caused by a snow storm. Annie Wilks found him and kept him hostage and force him to write a sequel to his Misery serie as she hated the end of the last book.

Book number: 9

Number of pages: 318

Book title: Murder on Memory Lake

Author: J. D. Griffo

Summary: When a body ends up floating in the water near the home Alberta inherited from her spinster aunt, Alberta and her extended family join together to investigate.

Review: Improbable but amusing. I was ready for some light reading.

Book Number:13

Number Of Pages: 352

Book Title: Un Vent Malsain (Les 5 Derniers Dragons #7)

Author: Danielle Dumais

Book Number: 49
Number Of Pages: 336
Book Title: Cinder & Glass
Author: Melissa de la Cruz

Book Number: 50
Number Of Pages: 357
Book Title: Cold the Night, Fast the Wolves
Author: Meg Long

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 308

Book Title: Pandora's Jar: Women in the Greek Myths

Author: Natalie Haynes

Summary: This book covers some of the pivotal women in Greek myths and does a deep-dive into how they originally appeared, how their stories evolved, and how they were eventually erased to focus on their male counterparts. Some famous women are covered in this, like Medusa and Penelope.

Book Number: 14

Number Of Pages: 385

Book Title: Dans l'univers des Contes Interdits :Cam, policière sans limites

Author: Steve Laflamme

Summary: Cam is a former police officer, she tries to save her son and another person's daughter who got kidnapped. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 10

Number of Pages: 278

Book Title: High Stakes

Author: Fern Michaels

Summary: When Toby begins to suspect that his employers at the Supper Club are part of a drug-smuggling operation and that his life is in danger, he turns to his old friend Dennis for help. Dennis and his friends at BOLO Consultants promise to protect him and go undercover to investigate.

Review: Series alert! This book is part of The Men of the Sisterhood series, which involves the husbands/significant others of the Sisterhood (also a series of novels). I never did figure out all the connections between the players, but the story was still enjoyable if I only tried to follow the main plot.

Book Number: 15

Number Of Pages: 332 

Book Title: My Best Friend's Exorcism

Author: Grady Hendrix

Summary: In the year 1988, Abby and Gretchen are best friends until one day, Gretchen started to act weirdly. Abby tries to figure out what is wrong with her friend. 

Book Number: 11

Number of pages: 322

Book Title: The Lady Has a Past

Author: Amanda Quick

Summary: Lyra Brazier comes to Burning Cove and takes a job as an investigator for Raina Kirk's investigative agency (who is seeing one of the town's mystery men Luther Pell). Lyra's first day of work is already shocking when Raina disappears. Lyra takes on the job of locating Raina along with Luther Pell's associate Simon Cage. Simon is an antiquarian book dealer but has other skills useful for an investigation. Lyra and Simon pose as a married couple trying to discover what happened to Raina and fall into a series of dangerous plots.

Review: Apparently this is the fifth book in the Burning Cove series, but unlike the last book I read I had no trouble sorting out the people. Glamorous settings, interesting characters, intriguing mystery with lots of tension, romance, humor -- what's not to like.

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 288 

Book Title: Gardez l'oeil ouvert : 15 histoires de disparitions mysterieuses

Author: Victoria Charlton

Summary: 15 real life desapearences stories that were never solved. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 52

Number Of Pages: 304

Book Title: The Iron Traitor

Author: Julie Kagawa

Book Number: 53

Number Of Pages: 384

Book Title: This May End Badly

Author: Samantha Markum

Book Number: 54

Number Of Pages: 448

Book Title: These Hollow Vows

Author: Lexi Ryan

Book Number: 12

Number of Pages: 370

Book Title: The Light Always Breaks

Author: Angela Jackson-Brown

Summary: As 1947 opens, Eva Cardon is the twenty-four-year-old owner of Washington, D.C.’s, most famous Black-owned restaurant. When her path crosses with Courtland, a handsome white senator from Georgia, both find themselves drawn to one another—but the danger of a relationship between a Black woman and a white man from the South could destroy them and everything they’ve worked for.

Review: For the most part I really enjoyed this book. It featured strong characters that I really cared about and detailed the earlier years of the civil rights movement (specifically 1947) that I was not familiar with.  I did feel cheated by the ending of the story, though. It felt like a cop-out to avoid resolving the conflicts in the relationship between Eva and Courtland.

Book Number: 17

Number Of Pages: 680

Book Title: Dracula (french edition and written kinda big so a lot of pages)

Author: Bram Stoker

Book Number: 56
Number Of Pages: 324
Book Title: Of Posiedon
Author: Anna Banks

Book Number: 57
Number Of Pages: 246
Book Title: Of Triton
Author: Anna Banks

Book Number: 18

Number Of Pages: 340

Book Title: Les 5 derniers dragons : Le destin de Rajni (book #8)

Author: Danielle Dumais