Little-Star

250 book challenge 2022-2023

Book Number: 42

Number of Pages: 225

Book Title: Death of a Traitor

Author: M. C. Beaton with R. W. Green

Summary: In this addition to a New York Times bestselling mystery series, Sergeant Hamish Macbeth—Scotland's most quick-witted but unambitious policeman—investigates the disappearance of a local woman who is more than she seems.

Review: As the continuation author of M. C. Beaton's books after her death, Green relies on conversations with the late author about future plot ideas for her characters. I'm sorry -- he may have her plot ideas, but he has totally lost the feel of her characters. I was looking forward to reading more Hamish Macbeth, but this was a pale ghost of the man from Marion's books. I will not read more.

Book Number: 219
Number Of Pages:  376
Book Title: Crown of Coral and Pearl
Author: Mara Rutherford

Book Number: 220
Number Of Pages: 368
Book Title: Kingdom of Sea and Stone
Author: Mara Rutherford

Book Number: 221

Number Of Pages:466

Book Title: A Song of Wraiths and Ruin

Author: Roseanne A Brown

Book Number: 222
Number Of Pages: 480
Book Title: A Psalm of Storms and Silence
Author: Roseanne A Brown

Edited by autumnbrandolyn

Book Number: 97

Number Of Pages: 359

Book Title: The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris

Author: Jenny Colgan

Summary: An accident at work leads to an opportunity for Anna Trent to travel to Paris.

Book Number: 98

Number Of Pages: 310

Book Title: Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World

Author: Ashley Herring Blake

Summary: A tornado uproots Ivy's life and displaces her family. When her notebook goes missing, she has many suspects, including the girl on whom she has developed a crush.

Book Number: 99

Number Of Pages: 403

Book Title: Distant Shores

Author: Kristin Hannah

Summary: Elizabeth and Jackson Shore (hence the title; it has nothing to do with travelling) have drifted apart now their girls have left home. After a family tragedy, Elizabeth finds herself rethinking who she wants to be.

Book Number: 100!

Number Of Pages: 358

Book Title: It's Better This Way

Author: Debbie Macomber

Summary: Six years after her divorce, Julia Jones finally meets a man she likes, a man who is also divorced, but combining their families nay be more of a challenge than she expects.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:18 AM, Little-Star said:

Book Number: 69

Number Of Pages: 357

Book Title: The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events #13/13)

Author: Lemony Snicket

We just had this entire series in hardcover donated to my thrift shop! :)Sold it almost immediately!

13 hours ago, Lagie said:

We just had this entire series in hardcover donated to my thrift shop! :)Sold it almost immediately!

Wow that's nice :D

I actually borrowed them from the library (by Libby) on audio so I don't even own the books 😅

Book Number: 52 

Number Of Pages: 455

Book Title: The Sanitorium

Author: Sarah Pearse

Summary: Elin is invited to an engagement party held in a refurbished sanitorium. The party may not happen as women start to go missing...

Rating: 4/5 I didn't really like the main character. She was a bit... obnoxious, as well as a typical traumatized woman with a past (I'm over the trope in horror/thriller novels). This book was very well written, and the setting was interesting, even if I wish there had been more done with the old sanitorium. 

Book Number: 53

Number Of Pages: 474

Book Title: An Offer from a Gentleman (Bridgertons Book 3)

Author: Julia Quinn

Summary: Sophie Beckett is the illegitimate child of an Earl, who is abused by his wife after he passes away. She meets the debonair Benedict Bridergerton at a masquerade ball and falls in love. 

Rating: 5/5 This one was fun. It's a retelling of Cinderella and features evil stepmom, stepsisters and a young woman being forced to be a maid. The writing is delightful. The romance is adorable and hilarious, and I, for one, just love the Bridgertons. 

Book Number: 224
Number Of Pages: 576
Book Title: These Divided Shores
Author:  Sara Raasch

Book Number: 225
Number Of Pages: 475
Book Title: Onyx & Ivory
Author: Mindee Arnett

Book Number: 70

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Doctor Who: The Ruby's Curse

Author: Alex Kingston

Book Number: 226
Number Of Pages: 496
Book Title: Shadow & Flame
Author: Mindee Arnett

Book Number: 227
Number Of Pages: 400
Book Title: Edgewood
Author: Kristen Ciccarelli

Book Number: 43

Number of Pages: 368

Book Title: The Family Remains

Author: Lisa Jewell

Summary: When a bag containing the bones of Birdie Dunlop-Evers washes up on the shore of the Thames, DCI Samuel Owusu opens an investigation into a thirty-year-old cold case that will uncover buried connections and personal histories that span years and even continents.

Review: This is a sequel to The Family Upstairs that I read earlier. I found it harder to read than the original, due to not only changing POVs, but changing time frames, going back in time for the addition of a new character whose story was not told in the original book. Since I already knew how Birdie died and whodunnit from the earlier book the only suspense was whether or not Detective Owusu would be able to figure it out and what would happen if he did. Although the blurbs say this is a standalone sequel I would have been totally lost and would have understood very little of what was going on if I had not read the first book.

Book Number: 54

Number Of Pages: 385

Book Title: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

Author: Taylor Jenkins Reid

Summary: Evelyn Hugo is one of the biggest stars from the early fifties all the way to the seventies. She's decided she wants to tell her own stories of her seven marriages and definitively say who she was most in love with. 

Rating: 5/5 Oh boy this book is good. My goodness. It broke my heart many times over, and the characters are fleshed out. It's as if you're the one interviewing Evelyn as she spills her secrets to you, and the love of her life may surprise you. ^^

Book Number: 55

Number Of Pages: 480

Book Title: Romancing Mr. Bridgerton (Bridgertons book 4)

Summary: Colin Bridgerton is back from Cyprus, and yep. He's gonna fall in love. Penelope Featherington is just the girl for him to go after, even if she has big secrets of her own. 

Rating: 4.5/5 Welp. That was adorable. Not my favorite of these so far, but it's cute as heck. And Colin is my favorite of the brothers so... I'm in. lol 

Book Number: 228
Number Of Pages: 369
Book Title: The House Across the Lake
Author: Riley Sager

Book Number: 229
Number Of Pages: 336
Book Title: The Light at the Bottom of the World
Author: London Shah

Book Number: 230
Number Of Pages:384
Book Title: Journey to the Heart of the Abyss
Author: London Shah

Book Number: 71

Number Of Pages: 304

Book Title: Les Légendes d'Ashur-Sîn 4 : Antoum

Author: Anne Robillard

Book Number: 231
Number Of Pages: 560
Book Title: Gone
Author: Michael Grant

Book Number: 232
Number Of Pages: 608
Book Title: Hunger

Book Number: 56

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: To Sir Phillip, With Love

Summary: Elois runs away to meet a man that she's never met in person. Will their letters over the last year be true? Or is he totally different?

Rating: 5/5 Not bad. Phillip is a sad character. I loved him and his children. 

Book Number: 57

Number Of Pages: 448

Book Title: When He Was Wicked

Summary: Francesca is widowed after only two years, and when her husband's cousin returns from India, he is determined to hide his love from her. 

Rating: 5/5 This is my favorite novel in this series so far! It was amazing! Micheal is the best~

Book Number: 233
Number Of Pages: 464
Book Title: Lies

Book Number: 234
Number Of Pages: 494
Book Title: Plague

Book Number: 44

Number of Pages: 452

Book Title: The Painter's Daughter

Author: Julie Klassen

Summary: Sophie Dupont is a woman with an uncertain future. After her relationship with the feckless Wesley Overtree ends with a note that he's sailed to Italy, Sophie realizes she is with child. Devastated yet hopeful he will return, she is surprised by the arrival of Wesley's younger brother, Capt. Stephen Overtree, come to take him home. Known to his men as Captain Black for his moods and brusque manner, Stephen proposes a marriage of convenience to save Sophie from scandal. Now married to a man she doubts she can ever love, Sophie secretly wishes for Wesley. However, as time passes, Sophie finds herself more in love with the enigmatic captain. Then Stephen is deployed with his regiment to battle Napoleon, and Wesley returns, determined to have Sophie back.

Review: I have a kind of love/hate relationship with Regency romances, as they often seem so formulaic. This one drew me in, with truly likable characters and some unique plot twists.

Book Number: 235
Number Of Pages: 509
Book Title: Fear

Book Number: 236
Number Of Pages: 411
Book Title: Light

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 227

Book Title: Ironweed

Author: William Kennedy

Summary: This story follows the life and loves of Francis Phelan, once-successful big-leaguer turned bum after he ran from being responsible for the death of his infant son. Discover Francis's relationship with fellow bums and his family he wants to reconnect with.

Book Number: 237
Number Of Pages: 439
Book Title: The Queen’s Rising
Author: Rebecca Ross

Book Number: 238
Book Title: The Queen’s Resistance
Author: Rebecca Ross

Book Number: 72

Number Of Pages: 462

Book Title: The Amulet of Samarkand (The Batimaeus trilogy book 1)

Author: Jonathan Stroud

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 58

Number Of Pages: 431

Book Title: It's in His Kiss

Summary: Hyacinth Bridgerton is the last girl in the family that isn't married, and until she meets Gareth St. Clair, she's perfectly happy with waiting. 

Rating: 5/5 Alright. Gareth is adorable. I love him. 

Book Number: 59

Number Of Pages: 496

Book Title: On the Way to the Wedding

Summary: Last member to be married, Gregory Bridgerton, is determined to find his one true love. 

Rating: 5/5 Adorable! Gregory is so determined!

Book Number: 60

Number Of Pages: 282

Book Title: The Family Secret

Author: Kiersten Modglin

Summary: The Bass family is weird, and Austyn is going to figure out why. 

Rating: 3.5 It was okay? The plot gets a bit convoluted, and the characters aren't very well developed. Dallas is only redeemed by his "Tex" joke thing really... So yeah. Not terrible, but not great. 

Book Number: 45

Number of Pages: 273

Book Title: Back When We Were Grownups

Author: Anne Tyler

Summary: Rebecca Davitch, widowed and in her 50s, suddenly feels discontent with her life and her role as head of the eccentric Davitch clan. She has a daughter, three step-daughters, multiple grandchildren, a brother-in-law, and a 99-year-old uncle to tend to... not to mention her job running the family's event business. Rebecca wonders if she is actually happy or if she ought to change some elements of her life.

Review: I loved the people in this book -- the whole messy family of them. Rebecca's dissatisfaction with her life and attempts to go back to the person she thought she really was were frustrating to me, though, as it was obvious (as she eventually discovered) that she was just who she was meant to be.

Edited by purplehaze

Book Number: 239
Number Of Pages: 320
Book Title: I’m Glad My Mom Died
Author: Jennette McCurdy

Book Number: 240
Book Title: Crown of Feathers
Author: Nicki Pau Preto

Book Number: 241

Number Of Pages: 640

Book Title: Heart of Flames