Little-Star

250 book challenge 2022-2023

On 4/24/2023 at 8:30 PM, Little-Star said:

Book Number: 70

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Doctor Who: The Ruby's Curse

Author: Alex Kingston

Ooh. I didn't know she wrote. Was it good?

Book Number: 101

Number Of Pages: 281

Book Title: The Reckoning

Author: Beverly Lewis

Summary: Katie Lapp, now known as Katherine, is still trying to adjust to English life when she hears surprising news about the man she once loved.

Comment: I had read book one a while back and this is book three so it was nice to see how the trilogy ended.

Book Number: 102

Number Of Pages: 220

Book Title: Plain Retribution

Author: Dana R. Lynn

Summary: Ten years ago while on her rumspringa, Rebecca Miller and her friends were kidnapped. Now history seems to be repeating itself, unless police officee Miles Olsen can stop it.

33 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Ooh. I didn't know she wrote. Was it good?

Yes it was good, I went for the audiobook version where she also read it 

Book Number: 73

Number Of Pages: 294

Book Title: Blood and Bullets (Deacon Chalk, Occult Bounty Hunter book #1)

Author: James R Tuck

Summary: Deacon Chalk is a monster hunter. One day a vampire comes to hire him to kill a another and more powerful vampire.

Review: Not bad, reminds me of a darker and more mature version of Supernatural TV shows. And I mostly decided to go into it because Jim Beaver (Booby Singer on Supernatural) was narrating it 😅😂 and they did mention Sam and Dean by name at one point

Book Number: 243
Number Of Pages: 410
Book Title: Spare
Author: Prince Harry

Book Number: 244
Number Of Pages: 336
Book Title: What We Harvest
Author: Ann Fraistat

On 5/12/2023 at 8:08 AM, Little-Star said:

Yes it was good, I went for the audiobook version where she also read it 

:)

Book Number: 103

Number Of Pages: 208

Book Title: Joy School

Author: Elizabeth Berg

Summary: Thirteen-year-old Katie struggles to fit in in her new town, but eventually finds friendships and a crush.

Book Number: 104

Number Of Pages: 308

Book Title: Thea Stilton: The Journey to Atlantis

Author: Thea Stilton

Summary: When a strange blue boy washes up on Whale Island after a storm, the Thea Sisters must find out who he and and where he's from.

Book Number: 245
Number Of Pages: 368
Book Title: The Devouring Gray
Author: Christine Lynn Herman

Book Number: 246
Number Of Pages: 405
Book Title: The Deck of Omens
Author: Christine Lynn Herman

Book Number: 61

Number Of Pages: 385

Book Title: No Strangers Here

Author: Carlene O'Connor

Summary: Irish single mom Dimpa returns home when her parents are accused of murder. She must deal with the man that assaulted her, resulting in the birth of her son, her dad's failing mental health, and she's also gotta take over the family veterinarian business. 

Rating: 5.5 Very pleased with this book. Dimpa was a fantastic character, and her family and friends were a lot of fun to see her interact with. Plus she names a sheep dog E.T. I'm amused. 

Book Number: 62

Number Of Pages: 408

Book Title: Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires

Author: Grady Hendrix

Summary: Patricia is a bored housewife who wishes for a bit of excitement in her life. She didn't mean vampires, but that's what she gets...

Rating: 5/5 OMG, this book was fantastic! The characters are well developed, the plot was quick and fun, and the humor, I must say as a Southerner, was hilarious! ^^

Book Number: 247
Number Of Pages: 242
Book Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockheart

Book Number: 248
Number Of Pages: 304
Book Title: The  Betrayed 
Author: Kiera Cass

Book Number: 74

Number Of Pages: 540

Book Title: L'apocalypse selon Marie

Author: Patrick Graham

Book Number: 46

Number of Pages: 375

Book Title: The Cleaving

Author: Juliet E McKenna

Summary: A retelling of Arthurian legend from the point of view of 4 of the women of Camelot. Rivalry, ambition, treachery, and enchantment are woven throughout.

Review: The endless battles and struggles for power got old rather quickly. Couple that with too many characters to try to remember as they wove in and out of the story and it did not really make for enjoyable reading for me. I only kept reading because the women themselves and the connections between them were interesting

Book Number: 250

Number Of Pages: 676

Book Title: The Queens of Innis Lear

Author: Tessa Gratton

Book Number: 251

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Cadaver & Queen

Author: Alisa Kwitney

Book Number: 105

Number Of Pages: 314

Book Title: The Photograph

Author: Beverly Lewis

Summary: When her sister disappears, Eva fears Lily has been wooed away from the People, and a stranger from Ohio carrying a photograph does not help allay her fears.

Book Number: 106

Number Of Pages: 296

Book Title: Buddy

Author: M.H. Herlong

Summary: Tyrone is finally allowed to adopt a dog, but is devastated when they are separated by Hurricane Katrina.

Book Number: 107

Number Of Pages: 311

Book Title: Chew on This: Everything You Don't Want to Know About Fast Food

Author: Eric Schlosser & Charles Wilson

Summary: Written with teens in mind, this highly readable overview of the fast food industry and its effects on so many areas may have you rethinking that next trip to McDonald's.

Book Number: 75

Number Of Pages: 352

Book Title: Blood and Silver (Deacon Chalk, occult bounty hunter book 2)

Book Number: 252
Number Of Pages: 352
Book Title: The Storm Crow
Author: Kalyn Josephson

Book Number:  253
Number Of Pages: 485
Book Title: Cursed
Author: Marissa Meyer

Book Number: 76

Number Of Pages: 70 + 90 + 82 (242)

Book Title:  That Thing at the Zoo, Spider's Lullaby and Circus of Blood

(Deacon Chalk, Occult Bounty Hunter novellas (book 0.5, 1.5 and 2.5))

Book Number: 77

Number Of Pages: 403

Book Title: Conduite dangereuse

Author: Guillaume Morrissette

Book Number: 78

Number Of Pages: 530

Book Title: Crossroads, la dernière chanson de Robert Johnson (would translate as: Crossroads: The Last Song of Robert Johnson)

Author: Hervé Gagnon

Summary: Donald Kane is a proffesor and has a great interest in the history of blues and Robert Johnson. One day he receive à letter, inviting him in Memphis, where a old woman says she have object that belonged to the dead musician

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 184

Book Title: Earthbound

Author: Ken Baumann

Summary: This story expertly mixes author autobiography with Earthbound history and review, delving into the history and lore surrounding this cult-favorite video game. 

Book Number: 108

Number Of Pages: 524

Book Title: Daughters of War

Author: Dinah Jefferies

Summary: In Nazi-occupied France, three sisters try to survive, but secrets from the past put everything in jeopardy.

Book Number: 47

Number of Pages: 366

Book Title: A Happy Catastrophe

Author: Maddie Dawson

Summary: Marnie and Patrick are in love. In spite of their differences things have been going well for them. Then a surprise turn in their lives, in the form of a very spirited 8-year-old named Fritzie, rocks their relationship and forces them to take another look at love.

Review: Apparently this is a sequel to an earlier book, Matchmaking for Beginners, but I didn't know that when I started it and the story stands well on its own. The best part of the book was Fritzie. The adults frustrated me. But love wins in the end and overall it was an enjoyable read.

Book Number: 255
Number Of Pages: 576
Book Title: Stardust in Their Veins
Author: Laura Sebastian

Book Number: 256
Number Of Pages: 245
Book Title: Nettle & Bone
Author: T. Kingfisher

Book Number: 63

Number Of Pages: 470

Book Title: Stay Buried

Author: Nina Grant

Summary: Woman goes to work at a house with a woman that may have had something to do with her sister's murder. 

Rating: 4.5/5 Not too bad. It had a wonderful plot twist at the end. 

Book Number: 64

Number Of Pages: 300

Book Title: The Thicket

Author: Noelle W. Ihli

Summary: A young woman's brother is murdered in a haunted attraction that's not closed down for the year afterwards.  

Rating: 4/5 I really liked this. The concept of the haunted attraction's screams hiding a murderer was really cool. The characters were also strong; some more than others, but Norah is fantastic!

Book Number: 65

Number Of Pages: 346

Book Title: Dark Omen

Author: J.R Erickson

Summary: Twin sisters are embroiled in a bit of a mess involving a jaded wife and a cheating husband. 

Rating: 4/5 I loved Crystal! She's a great character! J.R. Erickson is one of the best authors that I've found on Kindle Unlimited. 

Book Number: 66

Number Of Pages: 297

Book Title: Root Witch

Author: Debra Castaneda

Summary: A man is hired to be a forest ranger in a small patch of a national forest where some things are not pleasant live. 

Rating: 4/5 This one was weird, not a bad weird, but a weird one. I enjoyed some of the characters, and the plot wasn't bad. I'd gladly read more of her things in the future. 

Book Number: 67

Number Of Pages: 322

Book Title: Let Her Rest

Author: J.R. Erickson

Summary: Jake is a normal guy who works hard. He's soon pulled into a mystery of his past after an old friend is found dead at the construction company he owns. 

Rating: 5/5 Get out there and read this author. She's so good at tying her stories together. This was part... seven of an eight part series, and my goodness, it was incredible to see what went with what. 

Book Number: 68

Number Of Pages: 292

Book Title: Bitter Ground 

Summary: In this finale, a woman finds out that she's a great-great-great granddaughter of the woman that cursed the ground a sanitorium was eventually built upon. 

Rating: 5/5 Once again. Go read this author! The story drew to a close so beautifully! 

Book Number: 69 (Giggity -sorry, I had to)

Number Of Pages: 274

Book Title: Helme House 

Summary: Rowan, her husband and her daughter move into a creepy, haunted mansion in Michigan on the lake. 

Rating: 4.5/5 I can't praise this author enough you guys! 

Book Number: 70

Number Of Pages: 290

Book Title: Darkness Stirring 

Summary: Lori was 14 when her best friend vanished in the woods near their houses, and at 29, after hearing a similar story, she meets another man who's got connections to another case of vanishing. 

Rating: 5/5 Ugh. This one is like my favorite of this author so far. The ending was superb, the world-building is good, and the main character has a cat called Mathilda. I have no complaints, except that it wasn't longer! 

Book Number: 79

Number Of Pages: 234

Book Title: Les Contes Interdits : La légende de Sleepy Hollow

Author: Simon Rousseau

Book Number: 80

Number Of Pages: 319

Book Title: Les Légendes d'Ashur-Sîn #5: Naroux

Author: Anne Robillard

Edited by Little-Star