schenanigans

ANSWERED:Allow Prize Choice in Raffle

Allow an opt in option to select which prize sprite you wish to enter the raffle for. It sucks having to enter a raffle as it is and take years to even win something, if you do. Having no control over which one you get can just add to the frustration. 

Have an option to enter for any one of the 6 variants, and an "any" option for people with no preference. Or even something like checkboxes, to enter for multiple options -- so someone can enter for any of the Tinsels but not the Shimmers, for example, or only the Silver prizes, etc

I imagine for distribution balance, if too many people that opted in for only gold prizes won for example, a number of those would be re-rolled if they didn't select a "lower" prize option. Can add a disclaimer that limiting your options could hinder your chances of winning at all. This suggestion is NOT intended to increase anyone's chances of winning, and even if it did affect this, it would likely be to a negligible degree. 

Two Posts by HBD with an awesome idea for implementing this.

Edited by schenanigans

Happily support this! Some options would be nice with how long it takes to win a prize at all, if you ever win.

This is legit the one thing I keep mentioning when it comes to how the raffle might be improved. Yes please, all of this.

I only came back to DC during holidays for many years and had no idea that monthly new releases, the Market, and the raffle were a thing. I’ve been trying to catch up. 

If it takes years to win a prize, I’d love to be able to select that shiny silver Tinsel.

Fully support. 

Edited by mishhelle

Full support. I've won two prizes and both of them weren't what I wanted - it felt awful both times.

Seeing a Shimmer after 11 years of trying for Tinsel was extremely disappointing, and winning another one 6 months later was even worse. I told one of my acquaintances but initially I wasn't even going to claim my 'win' - the only reason I did was to drop it into AP for someone who would want to pick it up, so the egg wasn't completely wasted.

But even then, those two raffles mean that I've effectively squandered two of my chances and statistically, the opportunity to win another prize is extremely low - and again, even if I somehow do win a third time, there's no guarantee it won't be a Shimmer yet again. If this was implemented, people like me would at least have an actual opportunity to get the prize they want, instead of having to hope for 1/6 or 1/3 possibility and getting disappointed when they don't luck out on an already absurdly low chance.

Edited by LevelsOfViolence

If someone wants to decrease their chances of getting any prize by opting to get only a specific one, that's fine with me.  It would probably increase my chances of getting any of the other 5.  I'm just surprised to hear that players are disappointed at winning a prize because it isn't what they wanted.  I've been around trying to win any prize since they started and I finally won a bronze shimmer this January.  I couldn't be more happy!  A prize is a prize, and winning ANY prize should be treasured, IMO. 

I remember a while back there was a suggestion for a tiered raffle. Meeting the easiest entry requirements would let you enter for a bronze prize, meeting more difficult entry requirements would let you enter for a silver prize, and meeting the toughest entry requirements would let you enter for a gold prize.

9 minutes ago, WWECornSerpent said:

If someone wants to decrease their chances of getting any prize by opting to get only a specific one, that's fine with me.  It would probably increase my chances of getting any of the other 5.  I'm just surprised to hear that players are disappointed at winning a prize because it isn't what they wanted.  I've been around trying to win any prize since they started and I finally won a bronze shimmer this January.  I couldn't be more happy!  A prize is a prize, and winning ANY prize should be treasured, IMO. 

To me it's not surprising at all. Just like opinions on favorite colors/shows/whatever differ, so do people's playstyles.

Personally, I have very strict goals for my scroll - in a way that I am not aiming to collect every dragon on the site, I am only collecting select few. My entire account is pretty much dedicated to 10 breeds (and I release those that don't match my goals if I have to use them in one of my lineages), so getting an egg that doesn't fit my agenda doesn't really help me - it hinders me.

I know for a fact that I'm not the only player who has such mindset either, which is why this suggestion would be extremely useful for people like me.

Besides, I am sure that every user has a particular sprite that they like the most, so allowing some form of agency even for those that don't really care what they win would be nice, too.

1 hour ago, WWECornSerpent said:

I would note that if I were to get another prize, I would probably want the same type (bronze shim) as the one I already have, so I could have a matching mate, as opposed to "here's another random prize, try and make it work sucker!" And honestly, if I'd had the chance before, I wouldn't even want a bronze of either type, because honestly I'm not a fan of the coloring on either type of bronze? And now I'm kinda stuck with one that I just never want to breed except for the occasional trade fodder.

Basically, I would have appreciated my prize more if it were of a coloring that I liked. I don't care enough about prizes in general to be happy about getting saddled with one that I find sub-par. And frankly, if I could take myself out of the running for stuff I don't want and give someone more appreciative a better chance at getting one (and if others would do the same for me), I'd actually really like that, cause it means everyone would just wind up with the stuff that they want, and give everyone a bit less competition in general.

I was lucky that I got my preferred dragon (Silver Shimmer). I would have been okay with any of the others, but now that I have one I would prefer to have another of the same if I were to be lucky enough to win again.

So, full support from me.

Full support from me as well, I am always fine with getting any kind of prize, but because I already won one type (Silver Tinsel), I really want a Shimmer next time. And if I can heighten the chances of that in any way I will be very happy

Full support here, I luckily won a prize really early on (Bronze Tinsel). I would far prefer to win a shimmer next time though and would love to see this option implemented!

2 hours ago, UnicornMaiden said:

I remember a while back there was a suggestion for a tiered raffle. Meeting the easiest entry requirements would let you enter for a bronze prize, meeting more difficult entry requirements would let you enter for a silver prize, and meeting the toughest entry requirements would let you enter for a gold prize.

I don't want this, and this is not what this suggestion is about. Just a simple option to select what one wants, no jumping through hoops. 

i mean, i could do without the hate some prize dragons seem to get - so if it would make more people happy and maybe decrease how much i have to see the hate, sure, i'm all for it. :3

4 hours ago, WWECornSerpent said:

This. Anything that will increase my chance of getting any prize is fine with me.

While I don't have preferences for certain prizes, I can't really see any downsides to this suggestion. Seems like it will do nothing but help those who do have these preferences, and I can't think of any reason why this shouldn't be a mechanic for prizes. Support.

I've been saying this for what seems like years.  Can we at least be able to indicate whether we want to enter for a shimmer or a tinsel?  If we could break it down to color of said shimmer or tinsel would be icing on the cake.  I've entered the raffle since it started (only missed one month when I miscalculated the drawing date).  What I have to show for it is a miserable tinsel that I didn't want. pyQR2  Yes that is the name I gave it and don't plan to change it, and he makes poor trade fodder.  I do so want a shimmer. :(

I don't see how this would hurt.  Sounds like it would only help people.  Support!

I was beyond blown away when I not only won, but I won my absolute favorite--Gold Shimmer.  I'd have been happy with anything, but I admit that I'd have been a little disappointed if I got, like, a Bronze Tinsel simply because it's my personal least favorite of the sprites.  (I don't particularly dislike it--just the color isn't really to my tastes and I like the look of Shimmers a bit more, personally.  BT's are well and good and I've had been happy to have one as a CB, but we all have personal preferences lol)

It'd be lovely to have the option to enter the raffle for specific ones if you prefer, knowing that it might lessen your chance overall.  I'm sure many people would still select the "any/all" option if they just want any prize with no consideration for color/breed.

While I wouldn't pick any specific prize, I do support this for other people who may have preferences... I'm sure it's crushing to spend years entering the raffle only to finally win your least-favorite. I'm curious to know how this would be implemented in order to not screw with ratios or anything (I admit my memory sucks but I'm pretty sure the number of raffle winners now 'scales' based on number of entries, would that be affected at all if tons of people enter for prizeA and hardly anyone enters for prizeB?).

10 hours ago, WWECornSerpent said:

I've been around trying to win any prize since they started and I finally won a bronze shimmer this January.  I couldn't be more happy!  A prize is a prize, and winning ANY prize should be treasured, IMO. 

I feel the same way.  I was so happy when the raffle started because when I started playing the game there was no raffle.  And then I was always hoping to win a Tinsel,  but when I won a Shimmer I was so happy and I am still happy to win it.  :)  It is a treasure to me. 

I do not have preferences, but I wouldn't mind having this available for those who want it.

Please no tiered prizes or anything like that. 

I'd support it as far as allowing people to say only one prize interests them - if they win any other; their prize would re-roll. Just as in a real life raffle, you can say no thanks if you win something you don't want.  I wouldn't take it further than that - even though I didn't get the one I wanted myself. Just too complicated.

And no, no tiered prizes.

13 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'd support it as far as allowing people to say only one prize interests them - if they win any other; their prize would re-roll. Just as in a real life raffle, you can say no thanks if you win something you don't want.  I wouldn't take it further than that - even though I didn't get the one I wanted myself. Just too complicated.

And no, no tiered prizes.

I like this idea.  It gives those that have a preference the opportunity to not get something they don't want but allows another to get that "unwanted" prize while also not affecting anyone's chances of winning.  And no tiers.  Some months it's bad enough I have to get dragons of a specific affinity or type, especially if I don't really want or need them, but to have to get more to be able to have a chance at any of the prizes would be even worse.