Paradisiske

Spellbook

Something to do just for fun.

But what if we had a "spellbook"?

How it would work would be that there are spells based on the elements; fire, water, light, dark, time, etc.

Now the spellbook would be a badge on your scroll. You can click on it to "open" it just like you click on the candy basket and egg basket to see all the treats and eggs you collected.

There will be different spells to collect for all the elements. Starting from level 1 to level 5.

Now how would we collect the spells? With shards!

Shard prices are NOT final.

Pay 100 shards to unlock level 1. Pay 400 shards to unlock level 2. Pay 1,200 shards to unlock level 3. Pay 2,400 shards to unlock level 4. Pay 4,800 shards to unlock level 5.

Each spell would have its own little badge inside the spellbook. Level 1 - level 5 would have the same badge with the only difference being it saying level 1 - level 5 OR level 1 badge has 1 star on it and level 2 badge has 2 stars on it and so on.

THIS WOULD HAVE NO AFFECT ON ACTUAL GAMEPLAY. 

So what would the spells be for ? Just for a badge/basket thing ?

Mmmm. I don't think I'd want to spend shards on just a badge. This seems like it would be better as an event like trick or treating or festival of eggs. 

9 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

So what would the spells be for ? Just for a badge/basket thing ?

Yes. Something to do for fun.

2 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

Mmmm. I don't think I'd want to spend shards on just a badge. This seems like it would be better as an event like trick or treating or festival of eggs. 

thats why its just for fun. I don't spend my shards on the market and I know other people don't either (and one person has 1, 406, 745, 634  634, 645 shards)

So if you don't want to spend shards on it then you don't have to. You wouldn't miss out on anything substantial in the game. It would be the same as not getting the badge for a holiday or not getting the magikarp splash badge or not getting every single egg/treat. Or that carrot badge or that 4th of July firework badge.

If I remember correctly, the idea of including spells and/or potions in the 'Market' was actually talked about in the original Trader's Canyon thread so long ago. I'm all for including different ways to spend shards, different things to spend shards on besides just dragon eggs, but I don't really see a point in spending a significant amount of shards for 'spells' that do absolutely nothing.  Most of the suggestions for spells/potions/etc have to do with using them for things like incubate/influence (for when you unexpectedly run out of available dragons), or shortening the cooldown on breeding/BSA/etc, possibly influencing alts or curing sickness, etc... Stuff that might actually be useful. Just throwing shards away for nothing more than a little badge that does nothing doesn't sound very appealing. 

If spells are going to be added to the Market in any way, I'd much rather they be actual Spells that we can use. 

edit: Also, not sure what you mean by that shard number that a person supposedly has, but unless those are multiple different shard-numbers it's simply not possible. The Market has not been around long enough to get anywhere close to such a huge number even if you get the max each week and spend nothing.)

Edited by HeatherMarie

@HeatherMarie

this was what I was going off of. I just asked on discord and it turns out that it was a joke that the user made. So I messed up there. They actually have 14, 367 shards. 

Screenshot_26.png

Maybe if this was incorporated to the earlier suggestion of a "shard dump" for those who want a way to round out their shard totals [ex. Player has 1023 shards - the dump allows them to throw out those 3 shards so they have an even 1020]

But other than that, I don't see a point to adding a "pay to earn" badge to the game.

I'm very much a completionist and would still be unhappy if I was missing badges (even ones that had to be paid for). If this was tied to an actual in-game activity or even a shard dump, I'd be more supportive. 

31 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

I'm very much a completionist and would still be unhappy if I was missing badges (even ones that had to be paid for). If this was tied to an actual in-game activity or even a shard dump, I'd be more supportive. 

So am I and I will never get the carrot badge or fireworks badge or some of the holiday badges. 

I am envisioning this as a shard dump. I dont use my shards at all and same with other people. 

I really like the idea HeatherMarie mentioned of having one-time "spells" or such that had functions like reducing BSA cooldowns or increasing alt chances - these would still work with the spellbook shard dump idea - maybe make it so that instead of the Market or whatever, we could buy these spells directly through the spellbook?  Each spell could function with a sliding scale price in the sense that the minimum would be an even 100 (or more depending on the spell but 100 is a good price to use for elaborating) - if you pay over 200 you'd get 2 spells ofc, but you could pay 103 or 115 just to dump those leftover shards out from your total :0 

Not really as receptive to a spellbook with no function as a shard dump, as much as I'd like to be able to toss my uneven numbers off somewhere, a badge alone doesn't feel worth it.

9 hours ago, Paradisiske said:

So am I and I will never get the carrot badge or fireworks badge or some of the holiday badges. 

I am envisioning this as a shard dump. I dont use my shards at all and same with other people. 

I am a completionist too - but if this happened it might cure me, as I wouldn't use my shards for just badges. I still plan to get more staterae.... That will keep me occupied for a while !

That said - if you are keen to get rid - buy sapphires and AP them. You will be SO popular ! (except that no-one will know it was you, of course... But you will have a warm and fuzzy feeling and others will be very happy.))

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That said - if you are keen to get rid - buy sapphires and AP them. You will be SO popular ! (except that no-one will know it was you, of course... But you will have a warm and fuzzy feeling and others will be very happy.))

Now there's an idea if your shards are really weighing you down. ;)

I really can't see spending shards just to get little tokens that do nothing.

Edited by purplehaze

I already do do that but with cb sapphires not market ones. I can't do it often but I do catch them to gift to others who don't have them or help people catch their pinks from the ap.

8 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I've done this multiple times, and it's another reason I just can't see this being a fun/popular feature. Most users are saving up shards for something, those of us who aren't might spend them on things specifically to AP, I don't have a ton of use for my shards myself at this point but I can't imagine I'd ever rather use them on little badges that don't do anything rather than spending them on actual eggs I can send to the AP and make people happy with. If the spells *did* something, that'd be different. 

5 hours ago, Paradisiske said:

I already do do that but with cb sapphires not market ones. I can't do it often but I do catch them to gift to others who don't have them or help people catch their pinks from the ap.

Sure; I know you do - but why not use your shards up that way too ? If they bug you so much.

I am a completionist, and use my shards for the CBs I can't catch. To have to buy badges would just be a frustration since we get so few shards (100) and only on Sundays.

No support.

I like the idea of having something else to collect, but using shards is a huge no. Putting aside the fact that we can get eggs using shards and that's quite enough, there's no logical connection between shards and spells either (unless like some suggest, the spells actually do something to dragon raising), like we get shards by raising dragons, breeding, catching eggs, etc, so these activity readily relate with dragons (thus we purchase eggs in market with shard) but how do spells relate to these activities we need to do to get the shards? Beside, we only get 100 shards a week, that's barely enough for anything already, no support

2 hours ago, Paradisiske said:

Okay so what if we got more shards than a 100 per week?

Which isn't going to happen. TJ set that limit so people had to actually work for eggs.

3 hours ago, Paradisiske said:

Okay so what if we got more shards than a 100 per week?

That wouldn't make any difference to me. I would still rather use them to buy dragons rather than some useless trinket. I might actually finally get enough to buy another Stat.

There are Suggestion threads related to being able to earn more than 100 shards per week, but that doesn't really change anything regarding this suggestion. If shard-earning is ever increased (which isn't very likely to begin with) it definitely won't be a big enough increase to 'justify' throwing tons of shards away for little badges that serve no purpose. I really can't think of any reason I'd ever do that, regardless of how many shards we can get or whatever else, it just seems really pointless.

Spells *have* been suggested many times over the years, spells that actually do things, I would love some of that stuff to be implemented. But if a 'spell' collecting feature is added at all they should actually do something, I see no benefit or fun in adding a feature that requires months worth of shards and doesn't actually do anything. 

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

There are Suggestion threads related to being able to earn more than 100 shards per week, but that doesn't really change anything regarding this suggestion. If shard-earning is ever increased (which isn't very likely to begin with) it definitely won't be a big enough increase to 'justify' throwing tons of shards away for little badges that serve no purpose. I really can't think of any reason I'd ever do that, regardless of how many shards we can get or whatever else, it just seems really pointless.

Spells *have* been suggested many times over the years, spells that actually do things, I would love some of that stuff to be implemented. But if a 'spell' collecting feature is added at all they should actually do something, I see no benefit or fun in adding a feature that requires months worth of shards and doesn't actually do anything. 

Sorry if this is a bit unrelated, do you happen to have a link to any of the spell suggestion threads?  Or are they all pretty much dead at this point 

6 hours ago, purplehaze said:

That wouldn't make any difference to me. I would still rather use them to buy dragons rather than some useless trinket. I might actually finally get enough to buy another Stat.

Totally my view.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

43 minutes ago, Falorni said:

Sorry if this is a bit unrelated, do you happen to have a link to any of the spell suggestion threads?  Or are they all pretty much dead at this point 

Fairly much but one that wasn't tied to the market was;  

It also gets mentioned at times in here:

And here when the idea of the market was being fleshed out:

On 9/17/2021 at 3:17 AM, HeatherMarie said:

I also share this sentiment. When it comes down to it, I'd rather hold out to save for a dragon than spend shards for a badge that just looks pretty in my badge collection.