trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

32 minutes ago, Uther_Pendragon said:

Yet, the weekday covid updates, the task force keeps saying masks are mandated (but not enforced), and everything keeps reopening, though the numbers keep growing.

I just don't understand how so many people aren't getting it. What is the disconnect?

Lack of a consistent message from the very top about how we are all in this together and need to work together to keep everyone safe, even if it means a bit of inconvenience here and there!

Things could be so much different, if only...

11 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

I saw this Trump quote on Twitter. I even watched the video to see if he actually said that. (He did.)

That Trump quote makes me wonder if the guy would be willing to stop getting tested on a daily basis himself. Heck, so many of our testing kits have been used on him and all the other politicians. A part of me would love to see him catch it and eat his own words.

I thought this was an excellent article(blog post?), mostly directed at people who refuse to wear masks because "mah freedoms!"

A Mask is a Stupid Hill to Die on, America

Pretty much the same thing, by same guy, just in video form.

To be clear, he is directing this at people without medical conditions who have no reason to not wear a mask except that they just don't want to.

I live in Texas and one of our local grocery stores, HEB, started out being amazing at how they handled the hoarders and then requiring masks and such. Unfortunately, recently they have done away the mask requirement and just said they 'recommend' people wear masks which, of course, means a lot of people just won't do it. My family(my parents and I) are now no longer shopping there while this is all going on(which makes me super sad because I love their sushi, but this is not the first time I've given up things I like for important reasons). My mom is super scared of my dad getting it, because she's really afraid it will affect him badly. We're just trying to avoid any of us getting it as long as we can. My dad is a nurse and when he goes back to work(he's furloughed because he doesn't work for a specific hospital, he works for an agency-type thing(can't remember what it's called, but he's sent to whichever hospital, that are part of the network, needs extra staff)), which will happen eventually, then he'll probably be fairly likely to catch it.

3 minutes ago, Raikielia said:

I live in Texas and one of our local grocery stores, HEB, started out being amazing at how they handled the hoarders and then requiring masks and such. Unfortunately, recently they have done away the mask requirement and just said they 'recommend' people wear masks which, of course, means a lot of people just won't do it. My family(my parents and I) are now no longer shopping there while this is all going on(which makes me super sad because I love their sushi, but this is not the first time I've given up things I like for important reasons). My mom is super scared of my dad getting it, because she's really afraid it will affect him badly. We're just trying to avoid any of us getting it as long as we can. My dad is a nurse and when he goes back to work(he's furloughed because he doesn't work for a specific hospital, he works for an agency-type thing(can't remember what it's called, but he's sent to whichever hospital, that are part of the network, needs extra staff)), which will happen eventually, then he'll probably be fairly likely to catch it.

I'm in Texas, too. HEB was handling things great until the masks were no longer a requirement- I haven't been since and I believe we've been trying to get groceries taken out to the car as much as possible. I'm the only at-risk person in my household, since I have a weaker immune system, so it's a shame I can't shop without worrying about my health. I've been staying at home as a result. I'm also not working anymore, since basically every food court has shut down in my city. (I worked in a mall) For good reason, too. I can't imagine how susceptible those places are to spreading infection.

Due to some larger local outbreaks, in Germany the R-factor is exploded and the 4-day median is 2.88 (95% prediction interval: 2,16 - 3,73). The 7-day R-value is estimated at 2.03 (95% prediction interval: 1.60 - 2.49). Of course these numbers mainly reflect the localised events  as most infected persons only infect less than one other person, but in closed environments, one infected person can infect dozens or even hundreds of others. [Source]

The largest outbreak at the moment is the one in the Tönnies meat plant where by now 1331 workers were tested positive for Covid-19. The containment measures are difficult as the workers live not only in the town Rheda-Wiedenbrück where the meat plant is located, but also in several other towns in the vicinity. Additionally, some of the people decided to flee from the quarantine and possible even returned to their home countries, which could pose additional problems there. This was partly caused as the danger of the outbreak couldn't be properly communicated to the workers (at least in the beginning) as they speak no or very rudimentary German, and the officials had to fetch translators to explain the situation to the people in their native languages. [Source]

(For those who heard reports about riots in Stuttgart - as things look at the moment they were originally mainly drug related and due to wanton lust for destruction from majorly young men who also had problems with authorities. This was possibly acerbated due to the fact that most pubs and clubs were still closed due to Covid-19 and the many reports about police violence and racism in other countries (24 men were arrested, half of them non Germans). When one 17 year old man was searched for drugs, others around decided to help the boy and attacked the police. The police officers of course called for reinforcements, and the young men then got "reinforcements" too and started to riot through the city of Stuttgart. [Source])

Interestingly the numbers for my home town are identical with those published yesterday:

------------------

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Monday, June 22, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 12 active cases, while 254 people have recovered. All in all there have been 277 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 3.8.

Currently 3 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 11 persons sadly died. 33 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 402 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

I just got an e-mail from my university that they are collaborating with CureVac and are now looking for test subjects for the Covid-19 vaccine CureVac is developing. o: Looks like they are making progress? Though the study is supposed to run for 13 months...

(Reminder: CureVac is the German pharmaceutic company that Trump reportedly wanted to buy a few months ago. It's located in my university's town.)

On 6/21/2020 at 1:09 AM, AngelsSin said:

One good thing is so far the crowds for the Trump rally is smaller than expected. They closed down the over-flow area and sent out messages to Trump supporters that they still have space. So it seems that even Trump supporters aren't complete covidiots.

On 6/21/2020 at 1:13 AM, Astreya said:

@AngelsSin

I bet the fact that they would have needed to sign that waiver to attend will have brought it home to the less stupid ones that even

Mr.Trump's people fear there could be infections.

I'm not sure if the following site can be trusted, but it's what I found when I saw that story on a German news site and searched for an English version:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-22/did-tiktok-users-kpop-fans-really-troll-donald-trump-tulsa-rally/12378768

30 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

Oh, it's correct I saw many stories about those who trolled Trumps rally for tickets rsvp'ing to raise the numbers with no intention of showing

a friend on my facebook feed posted that one of her kids did that too! and Gen Z gets a bad rap.  they really shouldn't!

9 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

And kids these days are very creative. Truly they impress me. Never underestimate teens!!!! 🤣

these are also some of the kids who are out there protesting, getting tear-gassed, and then getting right back out there for more protesting.

i think there's still protesting happening even if it's not being covered.  it's gone so far beyond George Floyd at this point.

Edited by trystan
proofread first, then post....

5 hours ago, trystan said:

a friend on my facebook feed posted that one of her kids did that too! and Gen Z gets a bad rap.  they really shouldn't!

Gen Z created the Tide Pod challenge and the toilet licking challenge, not to mention the ice cream challenge. They brought that bad rap on themselves. :P At least Millenials just unleashed avocado toast on the world.

It should be remembered that that prank didn't depress turnout. The Trump administration didn't put a cap on tickets, so anyone could've gotten one and gone. This means his supporters didn't show up, which purplehaze pointed out and is the real story here. 

1 hour ago, AngelsSin said:

It's way past time that these issues get addressed. In a twisted way it was beneficial to the cause for COVID to happen at this time with so many people stuck at home and bored their attention was all on it and nothing but time to devote to it. Of course it took a tragedy to light the spark that set that bomb off. I don't know what is wrong with cops that they can't change or stop this behavior. But it needs to be fixed quick. It's beyond disgusting. My brother being a drug addict and thief and White has been given so many freaking chances and they don't treat him like they do Blacks and he doesn't even try to be better but someone trying to turn their life around doesn't get the chances that my brother is constantly given and is shot and killed when he panics cause he know his chances are terrible? It's just not right. It truly makes me sick.

Florida passed the 100,000 mark for covid cases.

Two more Trump staffers tested positive, not surprising. They claim to have been wearing masks the entire time but who knows.

Some NBA players are openly wondering if they should return to playing sports right now, lest it take away from the very real progress being made on racial equality. They've said, rightly in my opinion, that this isn't the time to offer a distraction from these issues. There are more important things to focus on and other ways to escape. 

Sorry to hear about Florida, but I'm glad to see people near you taking it seriously. We're all in this together.

I went out today and everyone was wearing masks. It was heartwarming. 

John Oliver hit another home run covering coronavirus and prisons yesterday. For our international members who want to view this, you'll probably need a proxy again to access it (thanks for the tip from the last video I posted, Fuzzbucket!)

2 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Gen Z created the Tide Pod challenge and the toilet licking challenge, not to mention the ice cream challenge. They brought that bad rap on themselves. :P At least Millenials just unleashed avocado toast on the world.

It should be remembered that that prank didn't depress turnout. The Trump administration didn't put a cap on tickets, so anyone could've gotten one and gone. This means his supporters didn't show up, which purplehaze pointed out and is the real story here. 

true :P 

and that's true too.  maybe the supporters actually realised their health could have been at stake?

edit to add: 

4 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

Went to the grocery store noticed everyone was wearing masks. Hopefully it's not just there but everyone is being smart and wearing their masks. I'll be going out again tomorrow to do other necessary shopping hoping I'll see everyone being safe.

when i've gone to the grocery store, i'm pretty sure everyone is wearing masks.  at my retail job, i've only seen like one or two customers kinda not wearing masks - over this past weekend one guy had a bandanna around his neck, like he could have made it a mask but didn't *sigh*

as for the protests, back at the beginning of the month, there was one in the town that my desk job is in....but younger daughter and i didn't go because (a) covid, (b) she was still on antibiotics for her strep throat and (c) it was icky and humid out there. XD 

Edited by trystan
so i didn't double-post

As of today, Tuesday, June 22, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 12 active cases, while 254 people have recovered. All in all there have been 277 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 3.8.

Currently 3 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 11 persons sadly died. 55 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 876 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

@AngelsSin

That's alarming to read! I would suggest you'd better get tested as early as possible if you already have symptoms as the results will only come back 1-2 days later, even if it means you have to ask your Mom to get you there. (Don't you have any people in the US who visit people at home to test them? At least in my town they have some mobile teams for people who can't go themselves.)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it isn't Covid-19 even if the probability is there. Take care and hopefully get better!

I hope you can get tested, @AngelsSin! Please quarantine yourself if you can in the meantime, and I'll keep you in my thoughts! Have you let your employer know?

@Astreya There are mobile testing units available stateside, but they don't make housecalls, they just move from place to place. To get access to a doctor that does that is something 95% of the population can't afford, it's a very expensive service.

@purpledragonclaw

Thanks for the information! I guess that might be a problem too then, why the infection spreads more and more in the US. Here they try to keep the number of infections so low that the local health offices manage to test and trace everybody who might be infected.

Nonetheless we currently have some heavy outbreaks in several meat processing plants, and in these municipalities the local health offices are pretty much overwhelmed and they partly asked the military for help with testing and stuff. I really hope they will manage to get these outbreaks under control ASAP here.

--------------------------

As of today, Wednesday, June 24, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 9 active cases, while 257 people have recovered. All in all there have been 277 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 3.8.

Currently 3 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 11 persons sadly died. 62 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 021 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Edited by Astreya

@AngelsSin I wish you all the best. The stuffy nose and intact senses of smell and taste lead me to believe it's more likely the flu, but with covid, you never know. :( 

Also, to add to what @Astreya mentioned, we have the first areas under lockdown again. *glares at Tönnies concern* Another meat processing plant (don't know where) has a handful of confirmed cases, so they're being investigated (and everyone getting tested), we'll see how that goes. People from Gütersloh or even all of NRW are being refused the vacation they booked, which I can understand (even though some people might declare this discrimination). Personally, I think everyone should stay put and not spend their vacation away from home in the current situation, but people are people.

@olympe

It's the poultry processing plan Wiesenhof in  Wildeshausen near Oldenburg in the state Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) where currently 23 of 50 tested workers were positive for Covid-19

Source: https://www.merkur.de/welt/corona-wiesenhof-haehnchen-standorte-oldenburg-ausbruch-skandal-schlachthof-toennies-wildeshausen-faelle-zr-13808562.html

Edited by Astreya

On 6/22/2020 at 4:47 PM, purpledragonclaw said:

It should be remembered that that prank didn't depress turnout. The Trump administration didn't put a cap on tickets, so anyone could've gotten one and gone.

Good point, PDC! So just another excuse. Although it did make them think they would have more attending than did, it doesn't explain the low turnout.

Yesterday there was apparently a large crowd of young people at his rally at the megachurch in Arizona (where daily numbers are skyrocketing) -- packed in and not wearing masks. Of course, not to worry because the church was touting it's air-cleaning system that could wipe out 99% of bacteria and viruses in the air.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/trump-rally-phoenix-megachurch-touts-coronavirus-killing-air-system-11476983

https://www.courthousenews.com/trump-rally-fills-megachurch-with-young-conservatives/

Edited by purplehaze

"Young conservatives" seems to be a misnomer, since they care so little about conserving themselves.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Good point, PDC! So just another excuse. Although it did make them think they would have more attending than did, it doesn't explain the low turnout.

Yesterday there was apparently a large crowd of young people at his rally at the megachurch in Arizona (where daily numbers are skyrocketing) -- packed in and not wearing masks. Of course, not to worry because the church was touting it's air-cleaning system that could wipe out 99% of bacteria and viruses in the air.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/trump-rally-phoenix-megachurch-touts-coronavirus-killing-air-system-11476983

https://www.courthousenews.com/trump-rally-fills-megachurch-with-young-conservatives/

My opinion just my opinion.

This kind of thing makes me wonder how many dead Republicans would be enough for Trump to take things seriously. 120k dead Americans isn't enough. I do not GET this guy at all.

4 hours ago, RainDear said:

My opinion just my opinion.

This kind of thing makes me wonder how many dead Republicans would be enough for Trump to take things seriously. 120k dead Americans isn't enough. I do not GET this guy at all.

As long as he doesn't die from it, which he won't since it's a hoax, right? [/sarcasm] no one else matters.

For some bizarre reason, we still expect to open our borders to American tourists on July 1st. I do hope our PM rethinks this plan between now and then.

Well, the thing is that money rules this world.

Today on the radio one of the moderators told a story about some acquainances. They booked a vacation on Mallorca (Spanish island, currently open to German tourists as a test run), but they didn't have a direct flight. Their stop was in Switzerland - or was it Austria? (I honestly forgot which of them - all I remember is "neighboring country with native German speakers".) Anyway, these two people were sent back home because they came from somewhere that isn't Germany. It's madness.

29 minutes ago, Lagie said:

For some bizarre reason, we still expect to open our borders to American tourists on July 1st. I do hope our PM rethinks this plan between now and then.

Well, the EU may be banning them, so I would hope your PM gets the message.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html