trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

TV channel Decades is playing a documentary on 1918 flu.

It was short, but interesting.

Edited by RainDear

@AngelsSin

I hope you'll improve ASAP! As for the masks - the problem is that normal masks are not a protection for yourself, but for the other people around you. With the attitude of quite some US people to masks it is unfortunately very easy that they infect others as they simply lack manners, compassion and empathy for others and instead live out their own egos and claim an imagined "freedom" that actually means they crush the freedom of others to stay healthy.

By the way, I just saw a chart of the US in a German Corona live ticker and the numbers are mindblowing - so you have an incidence of 827.2 infected persons per 100 000 people in Arizona and numbers like 1548.5 in Massachusetts, 2027.5 in New York, 1105.0 in Illinois, 507.5 in Florida, 495.59 in Florida, 452.9 in Texas (all per 100 000 inhabitants; I assume they are cumulative even though the map doesn't say explicitly) - that's unbelievable!

For comparison - the Kreis (municipalities / cities) Gütersloh with the current largest outbreak in Germany has an incidence of 553.4 per 100 000 (cumulative number) and the next worst is Göttingen at 371.0. Looking at the states, the worst affected is Bayern with 366.9, followed by Baden-Württemberg with 320.3. NRW is at 232.4.

Source: https://www.n-tv.de/infografik/Coronavirus-aktuelle-Zahlen-Daten-zur-Epidemie-in-Deutschland-Europa-und-der-Welt-article21604983.html

-------------------------

I just saw the new numbers from my home town - uh-oh. By the way, they write "all 12 newly infected people belong to three families and they are all quarantined by now."

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Thursday, June 25, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 21 active cases, while 257 people have recovered. All in all there have been 289 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 9.0.

Currently 3 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 11 persons sadly died. 63 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 162 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

14 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Well, the EU may be banning them, so I would hope your PM gets the message.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html

I hope so...

Astreya -

"By the way, I just saw a chart of the US in a German Corona live ticker and the numbers are mindblowing - so you have an incidence of 827.2 infected persons per 100 000 people in Arizona and numbers like 1548.5 in Massachusetts, 2027.5 in New York, 1105.0 in Illinois, 507.5 in Florida, 495.59 in Florida, 452.9 in Texas (all per 100 000 inhabitants; I assume they are cumulative even though the map doesn't say explicitly) - that's unbelievable!"

That is a high percentage, maybe because they're not taking the precautions you guys have been?

We have had no new cases in four or five days, thank goodness. I did get grumbled at yesterday by a customer I had to speak to who kept leaving her nose sticking out of her mask. Some people just don't get it.

Edited by Lagie

@Lagie

That's what I suspect - from some interviews shown with US people who refused to wear masks, they said that masks would curtail their freedoms and thus no one could force them to wear masks. In Germany of course we have our share of covidiots, but at least they usually wear masks where mandated.

Usually.

When I asked the bakery lady the other day to put on her mask, she just said "I'll do it later."

18 hours ago, Lagie said:

As long as he doesn't die from it, which he won't since it's a hoax, right? [/sarcasm] no one else matters.

For some bizarre reason, we still expect to open our borders to American tourists on July 1st. I do hope our PM rethinks this plan between now and then.

Even as someone living in the US, I really agree other countries shouldn't be so open with our citizens coming in. We don't have things fully in control and even some of the states that were doing incredibly well back in May are struggling again.

@AngelsSin

Really glad to hear that you are feeling much better!

5 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

That's what I suspect - from some interviews shown with US people who refused to wear masks, they said that masks would curtail their freedoms and thus no one could force them to wear masks. In Germany of course we have our share of covidiots, but at least they usually wear masks where mandated.

I was watching a news thing the other day and they were talking to this one guy who said wearing masks is a 'slippery slope' because the government is trying to see what they 'can get away with' by making people wear masks. People who have never been oppressed trying to claim they're being oppressed by having to wear a mask. 🤦‍♀️ And then, I think it was my state's Governor said he couldn't make people wear masks. If that's the case, then you can't actually make people wear seatbelts or follow any of the laws we have... 🤦‍♀️ 

5 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

Well, I wasn't going to share this, but after reading this I shall! Please enjoy these public comments from Floridians in Palm Beach after Palm Beach County made masks mandatory! This kind of attitude is everywhere, including with the religious nuttery thrown in. This is what years of an intentionally dumbed-down public education system combined with ignorance masquerading as religious worship will do to a large portion of the populace. Somewhere freedom became "I can do anything I want all the time!" to too many citizens.

2 hours ago, Daydreamer09 said:

Even as someone living in the US, I really agree other countries shouldn't be so open with our citizens coming in. We don't have things fully in control and even some of the states that were doing incredibly well back in May are struggling again.

Seconded! Seriously, I've been saying for months other countries need to ban us from their shores. Until we get this under control as a country no one should let us in. California was one of the states doing well and now Governor Newsom has had to make face masks mandatory after a huge spike in cases, particularly in Southern California. 

Glad you're feeling better @AngelsSin! Please keep us updated! 

7 hours ago, Astreya said:

from some interviews shown with US people who refused to wear masks, they said that masks would curtail their freedoms and thus no one could force them to wear masks.

yeah that's accurate, unfortunately. 

from yesterday:

there are just so many covidiots in this country.... *sigh*

there's a few other interviews as well, including some scary numbers on the right side of the vid

Edited by trystan
updated link

10 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

Our Prime Minister, under his Covid-19 Emergency Orders has made masks mandatory, so at least I have something to fall back on when the covidiots start spouting at me. XD

4 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Well, I wasn't going to share this, but after reading this I shall! Please enjoy these public comments from Floridians in Palm Beach after Palm Beach County made masks mandatory! This kind of attitude is everywhere, including with the religious nuttery thrown in. This is what years of an intentionally dumbed-down public education system combined with ignorance masquerading as religious worship will do to a large portion of the populace. Somewhere freedom became "I can do anything I want all the time!" to too many citizens.

Oh... my... goodness. People really do get het up about stuff, don't they?

And ... on the plus side, as of today, we have no hospitalized cases! :)

104951620_613975605991087_80739915865780

Edited by Lagie

As of today, Friday, June 26, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 25 active cases, while 257 people have recovered. All in all there have been 293 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 9.5.

Currently 3 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 11 persons sadly died. 63 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 307 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

----------------

A bit worrying is that there is a new outbreak in another meat production company sort of next door (in Moers), this time a Döner production. So far there are 79 positive cases (from 80 tests) and there are 120 more tests where the results are still due. I have reason to believe that my favourite Döner take away gets their Döner meat from them. Now I hope that Sami (the owner) didn't catch the virus when the ready-mate meat spits were delivered to him.

Source: https://www.tagesschau.de/regional/nordrheinwestfalen/moers-corona-doener-101.html

13 minutes ago, Astreya said:

I have reason to believe that my favourite Döner take away gets their Döner meat from them.

Oh poop ... now I'm wondering the same about the Döner takeaway around my corner ...

@Ruby Eyes

After I posted this, I checked how many companies offer Döner meat for take aways, and it seems there are more companies available in the vicinity: https://www.wlw.de/de/firmen/doener-kebab-fleischspiesse-verbrauchsfertig/oberhausen

Öztas ist pretty close by, though. I guess I'll call Sami and ask him before I fetch my next döner there. ^^

Edited by Astreya

I don't remember where I read it, but I saw in the news that Florida was getting ready to cook their numbers again by no longer reporting covid-19 deaths or cases. In fact, they were going to start deleting existing cases to prove to the public that after their recent spike, they've gotten everything under control and re-opening was a good idea and spend money, tourists! Let me see if I can dig up a source. It was leaking from sources within Florida's health department.

On 6/24/2020 at 2:51 PM, purplehaze said:

Well, the EU may be banning them, so I would hope your PM gets the message.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/world/europe/coronavirus-EU-American-travel-ban.html

This will most likely be official from early reports. 

Thank you for the link, @AngelsSin, I was getting ready to post my link which corroborates yours and your concerns about numbers being underreported. I don't even want to know where your mother gets her ideas from (because what you posted is by no means news) but that sounds like some Facebook nonsense I've seen floating around. 

As of today, Saturday, June 27, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 25 active cases, while 257 people have recovered. All in all there have been 293 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 7.6.

Currently 4 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 11 persons sadly died. 81 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 307 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Friday, 26 June.

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Well here's some depressing news for those of you in the USA:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53186075

I read about that. This is depressing too.

4 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

What the heck? Florida jumped from nearly 9,000 yesterday to over 18,000 today. This is beyond frightening. My county jumped from around 100-150 a day to over 400. That's almost half of the new cases for the day from the U.S. This is insanity. I think we are well beyond the numbers of every other state having a surge in New cases.

Now the numbers were changed and it's half of what it was saying I don't know if it was an input error or this is a sign of them cooking the books.

What's more frightening is DeSantis has no plans to close the state back down. Even Texas has halted re-opening amid their surge.

I think you should be more afraid of this:

Covid-19 survivors could lose health insurance if Trump wins bid to repeal Obamacare

Millions of Americans who have survived Covid-19 or face future infections could lose their insurance or be barred from getting coverage should the Trump administration successfully repeal Obamacare.

The Trump administration asked the supreme court late Thursday to overturn the Affordable Care Act – a move that, if successful, would bring a permanent end to the health insurance reform law popularly known as Obamacare.

Under the ACA, insurance companies cannot deny coverage for pre-existing conditions. Its abolition would mean millions of Americans who have had or have cancer, multiple sclerosis or other diseases would struggle to find insurance.

(...)

The abolition of pre-existing condition coverage is especially difficult for those who have Covid-19, because so little is known about the long-term health impact of the disease. There is evidence that the respiratory illness causes permanent damage in some patients. Those who have had the disease and recovered would have to disclose their status to apply for insurance, and could be turned down for coverage.

“We could see tens of millions of people thrown out of coverage,” said Pollitz. “There would be an onslaught of un-insurance.”

Donald Trump has said he would maintain the protections for people with pre-existing conditions, but has not said how it would replace the existing rules if the ACA was invalidated.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/27/obamacare-trump-covid-health-insurance

Edited by Astreya

trump has always hated the ACA because Obama came up with it.... but he doesn't have a replacement plan.

my county numbers aren't as scary as they could be.... i do like the "Recoveries" stat though.

Total Confirmed Cases: 5,360

Recoveries: 3,518

Deaths: 506

(as of 6/26: http://www.buckscounty.org/news/2020News/2020/06/26/bucks-first-day-in-green-marked-by-modest-increase-in-new-infections)

New cases reported on 6/26: 21 (https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a7e4f8a794a34bb5903813cdea584edb)

the thing is, some of the cases reported are old - old enough that the people have recovered already!

my municipality has 73 active cases (https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Media/index.html?appid=89e673a583fc4f44a8139205346a0ab6)

Borders still opening as planned July 1st. Covid-19 tests will be required before coming here, temperature checks on arrival. The first actual flight is due Wednesday from Atlanta. Sigh.

We have been urged to not travel off-island if we do not have to. Beaches re-open tomorrow, groups of 5 maximum. If we don't behave, they may close again for the upcoming long weekend (July 10th is our Independence Day).

Masks are still mandatory. $200 fine for non-compliance. Shopkeepers can be fined if customers are permitted without masks.

As of today, Sunday, June 28, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 28 active cases, while 257 people have recovered. All in all there have been 296 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 9.0.

Currently 4 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 11 persons sadly died. 80 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 307 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Friday, 26 June (no idea if they didn't test on the weekend at all or if they just didn't get the numbers from the laboratories yet).

Edited by Astreya

Considering how stressed I am at each flight, those temperature checks would result in a false positive with me XD

2 days ago I was grocery shopping, and the guy in front of me had his mask down. The cashier told him to put it back on because it's the rule, and he started discussing and ranting and going on about how he knew much more than her about corona and probably much more than anyone else because he has read *everything* about it and learned it all, which included how useless those masks were, really, and we all would see that he was right in the upcoming winter blablabla ...

When it was my turn to pay and leave, I wished her an expert-free weekend. She laughed :)