trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

I was at my GP today to have some blood taken for some tests (nothing Covid-19 related - there is still other stuff around, too ^^) and the other people waiting there all work masks, similar in the big shop (Kaufland) where I had to get some foodstuff. Here you get a small card which they use to keep an overview over the number of people who can enter and they ask everyone to do the shopping in a speedy way so that people wouldn't have to wait too long to get allowed in. After you paid your items, you put the card back in a box where it gets disinfected and then returned to the entry of the shop. Additionally, there are lines on the ground that remind you to keep your distance. It worked pretty good today, although my dad said that he experienced people getting too close when he was in another shop (albeit all wore masks).

Edited by Astreya
Me and my typos

People are being pretty cautious where I live, too. The large stores have someone standing at the door to count people entering and leaving so they know how many are in the store at once. There are arrows on the floor indicating one-way aisles and lines 6 feet apart at the registers. Everyone has been wearing masks everywhere that I have gone.

I decided to take the chance of getting a haircut yesterday. They were only using 4 of the stations in the shop to maintain distancing. They had 3 chairs in the waiting area, spaced much farther than 6 feet apart. I had checked in online before I went and didn't go in until my estimated time was nearly up, so I was first in line and only had to wait about 5 minutes. If there were more than 3 people waiting at any time they had chairs outside on the sidewalk for them, also spaced far apart. Everyone was wearing a mask, including customers and they had one employee who was dedicated to cleaning everything between customers, as well as keeping the front counter and the chairs in the waiting area wiped down. I was pretty comfortable with the experience.

My opinion, etc.

This article ads a new dimension to the whole question of what Covid 19 is:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/06/covid-19-coronavirus-longterm-symptoms-months/612679/

Some people are suffering for MONTHS with atypical, debilitating symptoms. They may not be tested because their symptoms are not typical and their tests can show up to 30% false negative. Many may not show up in the statistics...their symptoms are not typical, they are not hospitalized, they don't die BUT they don't just have a simple short-term (1-2 week) flu. This virus has so many faces and facets - how can anyone take it lightly?

For me, NOT having/spreading these symptoms is another concern..

4 hours ago, Daydreamer09 said:

I'm about ready to find a new chiropractor. 😟

Just today I learned that there are even restaurants trying to sue my state's Governor because they don't like the restrictions in place to prevent Covid19's spread. So, I've had some interesting experiences this past week that are making me worry about the path my local area's going in.

My chiropractor's being very careful, limiting the amount of patients in the office, enforcing social distancing, and requiring facemasks. I won't be going back to them yet, but I'm happy to see they're taking precautions.

I read the requirements for re-opening in that article. They're reasonable. Not overly onerous. And they should take note of what happened in California: a number of counties in southern California sued to get the beaches re-opened and southern California covid-19 cases have spiked. In fact, I think California might lead the country in number of new cases per day as of a few days ago. Northern California seems to have plateaued. 

4 hours ago, purplehaze said:

That is pretty graphic.

I just spoke with my sister who lives in Arizona and she says cases are spiking there. Apparently their governor is unwilling to return to more restrictions.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/investigations/cbs_5_investigates/as-covid-19-cases-mount-in-arizona-pressure-grows-for-action/article_1a354c70-aada-11ea-9e9f-0767f3be2a0b.html

Arizona, Florida, and California were leading the way here with new cases (Pennsylvania might also have made the list, there were six states and I only remember those three). There will be even more once cases from these protests are added into it, and more states too, I bet.

2 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

Florida's cases are spiking too. Just my county tripled just in a day. And today the new cases are growing even more. A lot of people here aren't wearing masks. It's more than a little concerning.

funny Trump wants to brush off COVID concerns but he wants to hold his rallies for re-election and he wants his supporters who attend the rallies to sign a waiver so he doesn't get sued if anyone gets sick at his rallies, and he's talking about holding his nomination acceptance speech in Florida.

this is gonna get bad IMO.

@trystan I forget where you posted it, but you posted a tweet from Sen. Chris Murphy about Trump wanting to move the RNC to Florida. You were right; it's a good thing we didn't bet anything or I'd have lost. XD 

I think it's hilarious Trump expects his supporters to read a waiver. Some will read it, some won't, they'll agree to it, and go anyway. That was the waiver for the Tulsa rally, if I recall, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it in place for the RNC too. And he's not talking about holding it there, he's confirmed he's holding it in Jacksonville. I guess Mar-A-Lago would have raised too many eyebrows.

26 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

@trystan I forget where you posted it, but you posted a tweet from Sen. Chris Murphy about Trump wanting to move the RNC to Florida. You were right; it's a good thing we didn't bet anything or I'd have lost. XD 

fair enough!  i may have posted that somewhere, yep. :) 

27 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

I think it's hilarious Trump expects his supporters to read a waiver. Some will read it, some won't, they'll agree to it, and go anyway. That was the waiver for the Tulsa rally, if I recall,

trump supporters can read? XD 

my county in southeastern PA is getting ready for when we go green.  the health department director is frustrated that out of the 44 cases reported yesterday, 20 of them were from April! (http://www.buckscounty.org/news/2020News/2020/06/12/24-new-covid-cases-reported-county-officials-eager-to-move-to-green)

Total Confirmed Cases: 5,091

Recoveries: 2,202

Deaths: 484 (https://covid19-bucksgis.hub.arcgis.com/)

93 active cases in my township (https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Media/index.html?appid=89e673a583fc4f44a8139205346a0ab6)

5 hours ago, Astreya said:

I was at my GP today to have some blood taken for some tests (nothing Covid-19 related - there is still other stuff around, too ^^) and the other people waiting there all work masks, similar in the big shop (Kaufland) where I had to get some foodstuff. Here you get a small card which they use to keep an overview over the number of people who can enter and they ask everyone to do the shopping in a speedy way so that people wouldn't have to wait too long to get allowed in. After you paid your items, you put the card back in a box where it gets disinfected and then returned to the entry of the shop. Additionally, there are lines on the ground that remind you to keep your distance. It worked pretty good today, although my dad said that he experienced people getting too close when he was in another shop (albeit all wore masks).

Sounds well-organized!

My shop does not have the ability to do one-way traffic, but we are counting people in and tracking how long they have been there so we can speed them up if they linger and if there are people waiting.

And in a country where BY LAW, we have to wear masks to step out our doors, one of my coworkers never has his on:

Screenshot_20200612-200242.thumb.jpg.6a8046abcc081272adbc6953d361a203.jpg

(During today's dog airlift - even the U.S. pilots know they HAVE to wear theirs, and do!)

It's so frustrating. Esp since, if he's caught at work like that, our shelter could be fined $10,000; we do not have those kinds of funds available to cover his lawbreaking.

Your U.S. figures are downright scary, and our airports are still meant to be reopening to tourists on the 1st of July.

My workplace is requiring me to self-isolate for two weeks because I had a fever (101.0* F) on Wednesday afternoon, and since then have also had liquid stools. No respiratory problems, but so that there is no outbreak in the facility, anyone with symptoms that could be caused bu Covid-19 must not enter the building. Will still get paid. May need to get tested if symptoms worsen, but while my temperature is up and down a lot, and I have occasional head congestion plus the GI issues, I just plan on staying home as much as possible. Will probably need to make a grocery run and also buy cat food, but of course will wear a mask and take every precaution possible if I do venture out.

13 minutes ago, casprrr said:

My workplace is requiring me to self-isolate for two weeks because I had a fever (101.0* F) on Wednesday afternoon, and since then have also had liquid stools. No respiratory problems, but so that there is no outbreak in the facility, anyone with symptoms that could be caused bu Covid-19 must not enter the building. Will still get paid. May need to get tested if symptoms worsen, but while my temperature is up and down a lot, and I have occasional head congestion plus the GI issues, I just plan on staying home as much as possible. Will probably need to make a grocery run and also buy cat food, but of course will wear a mask and take every precaution possible if I do venture out.

Eeps. Hope you are better soon and Covid-free!

53 minutes ago, casprrr said:

I hope you're alright, I'll keep you in my thoughts!

@Lagie the gentleman bending down isn't wearing his mask properly in that photo, his nose is exposed. At least he's got his mouth covered.

14 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

the gentleman bending down isn't wearing his mask properly in that photo, his nose is exposed. At least he's got his mouth covered.

so i saw this fun comic analogy about wearing a mask just covering your mouth and not your nose.  as a result, every time i see someone wearing their mask under their nose i'm reminded of the comic.... and it just looks silly for some reason... XD 

Edited by trystan
proofread first, then post.....

7 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

I hope you're alright, I'll keep you in my thoughts!

@Lagie the gentleman bending down isn't wearing his mask properly in that photo, his nose is exposed. At least he's got his mouth covered.

And the one on the right is wearing his mask around the neck. Which is precisely where it belongs. /sarcasm

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Saturday, June 13, 09:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 8 active cases, while 250 people have recovered. All in all there have been 269 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 1.4.

Currently 3 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 11 persons sadly died. 44 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 551 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

13 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

You're right. I'd missed that. I took the photo off the post about the airlift. No point advertising that our staff don't know how to stay covered.

No new cases, no new deaths here in days. We start phase four on Monday.

Strange fact - in my home town there were 17% fewer deaths during April 2020 as compared to April 2019. Compared to the the 6-year average for April it was still 9% less. This contrasts with the numbers of the state Northrhine-Westfalia as a whole where the April 2020 death rate rose by 3.4% compared to the April 6-year average. It looks like the early set-up of anti-corona measures in the city (which partly started 1-2 weeks earlier than the state-wide official measures) were a pretty good idea after all.

Source: https://www.wp.de/staedte/oberhausen/oberhausen-verzeichnet-im-corona-hauptmonat-weniger-tote-id229300498.html

Edited by Astreya

17 hours ago, casprrr said:

Can you be tested? I hope you will be feeling better soon. Take care.

My daughter and her husband and most of his family are flying to Colorado for vacation on Thursday. :o I am not pleased with their decision to go ahead with it, but what can I do? They are all adults. She plans to self-isolate when she comes back, although her boss told her there was no need for her to work from home or stay home when she gets back. (She had a lot of technical difficulties when she tried working from home at the beginning.) She will wear a mask at work and try to keep as much distance as possible between her and her co-workers. She has talked to all of the ones who work with her and they seem comfortable with that.

Edited by purplehaze

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Can you be tested? I hope you will be feeling better soon. Take care.

My daughter and her husband and most of his family are flying to Colorado for vacation on Thursday. :o I am not pleased with their decision to go ahead with it, but what can I do? They are all adults. She plans to self-isolate when she comes back, although her boss told her there was no need for her to work from home or stay home when she gets back. (She had a lot of technical difficulties when she tried working from home at the beginning.) She will wear a mask at work and try to keep as much distance as possible between her and her co-workers. She has talked to all of the ones who work with her and they seem comfortable with that.

I may contact my health care provider on Monday if symptoms persist. Still just the liquid stools, but no discomfort and I feel fine otherwise. No fever.

9 hours ago, casprrr said:

I may contact my health care provider on Monday if symptoms persist. Still just the liquid stools, but no discomfort and I feel fine otherwise. No fever.

Better safe than sorry . I would however look into your overall stress and how you eat mainly because stress can impact how you feel and it can cause headaches soft/liquid stools and more. As for the eating if you can think if you have been eating differently that can cause your stomach to have weird bowel movements but it will start to be normal again after a few days . 

( NOTE: I am not a doctor, but I have had similar things happen to me )

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Sunday, June 14,11:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 8 active cases, while 250 people have recovered. All in all there have been 269 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 1.4.

Currently 3 persons are treated in hospitals, none of them in intensive care. 11 persons sadly died. 42 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 11 568 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

In my hometown (Solingen, NRW, Germany), there are the first Covid cases found in one of our nursing homes. Let's hope it doesn't spread - although, with one nurse infected, chances are that it will.

@olympe

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they will manage to get this under control fast.

In Oberhausen we had the first (and so far only) outbreak in a care home on April 30 where 5 nurses and 14 elderly persons were tested positive (from about 280 persons in the care home), and it seems it was possible to get this under control pretty fast, so I hope the people in Solingen will manage to do that, too.*keeps fingers crossed strongly*

Edited by Astreya

15 hours ago, b64277 said:

Better safe than sorry . I would however look into your overall stress and how you eat mainly because stress can impact how you feel and it can cause headaches soft/liquid stools and more. As for the eating if you can think if you have been eating differently that can cause your stomach to have weird bowel movements but it will start to be normal again after a few days . 

( NOTE: I am not a doctor, but I have had similar things happen to me )

I am scheduled to be tested for COVID-19 on Tuesday morning.

1 hour ago, casprrr said:

I'm glad your fever broke! Please let us know how testing goes.

1 hour ago, casprrr said:

Hope every thing goes well. Be safe !😊

On 6/12/2020 at 11:33 PM, trystan said:

trump supporters can read? XD 

It seems they just often choose not to read. Sample can be found just a bunch of pages back in this thread.

GF and I moved into our first together-appartment last week :D but since the kitchen isn't ready yet, we ordered food 3 times.

Every. Single. Frigging. Time. The delivery person did NOT wear a mask.

Seriously ...