trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

7 more cases here, and our first death. :( I wish they wouldn't keep changing the times on the PM's updates - I missed the one at 4 p.m.

Supposedly the 'east' is the hotspot (the island's only 19 miles across - and I live ... east.).  Eeps.

Last I checked Potsdam NY only had 8 cases and that was earlier on. Really wish people with a cough would order their food online and get it shipped to their door (our grocery store does this) instead of coming to the grocery store especially when my mother and I are there and said sick person is coughing on everything.

EDIT: I just checked weather channel page here. It says we have 30 cases but no deaths.

Edited by TerraAnne

As someone who's grandfather has a permanent cough because his wife used to smoke inside the house for years, not every person who coughs has COVID, or might even be remotely sick/contagious (Cold, Flu, those types of things). The same can be said about sneezing/sniffling--it's not always an illness and could just be an allergy or something else benign. I cough all day every time I clean the cat box. 

19 minutes ago, TerraAnne said:

Last I checked Potsdam NY only had 8 cases and that was earlier on. Really wish people with a cough would order their food online and get it shipped to their door (our grocery store does this) instead of coming to the grocery store especially when my mother and I are there and said sick person is coughing on everything.

EDIT: I just checked weather channel page here. It says we have 30 cases but no deaths.

There's a Potsdam in NY? That's kind of a surprise. I mean, I know there are a lot of "recycled" city names in the US, but that still comes as a surprise.

Yeah we are like only a few minutes from the Canada border and the Akwasasne indian reservation. Though I'm moving out tomorrow. Our plans got delayed a day because I fell down the stairs when we were nearly finished loading up the uhaul.

Ouch. But it's good to know that you (probably?) didn't break any bones. 

I've had two broken arms in the past and lots of sprained ankles so I think.. maybe I know the feeling when something is broken. This feels more like a sprain in my ankle, arm, and inner thigh cause I kinda did a split and tumble down lol. It's been more than half the day now and my injuries are lessened now and I haven't taken aspirin or anything yet. My arm and hand feel the worst but I think I can finish packing the uhaul tomorrow. Thanks for the worry. XD I really really didn't want to go to the hospital right now cause of the virus being around. Pretty sure I'll heal up in a few more days.

I hope you recover swiftly, TerraAnne!

I've just been trying to take it day by day, personally. There have been a lot of cases popping up in my province, so I need to be careful about being around others. My school is closed and will be closed for at least the following month. Online lessons are going to start eventually, but so far nothing's really been going on. Some days have been really good for me, some days have been really bad. It's a rough adjustment. I've been working out a load to get out my energy, as well as attempting to read books and write some stories, but it's been difficult. I'm getting a little stir-crazy, heh.

We get one of these daily:

91645018_3641374555933629_24034523257682

Today had our first death.

Our PM doctor sounded really tired during this afternoon's briefing.

SARS-CoV-2, or COVID19, or whatever you want to refer to it as,

is everywhere in the world, it has basically taken over the world.

You can't watch the news, read a magazine or a newspaper,

or enter any forum or chat room without hearing it being discussed. 

People are scared, people are terrified, with good reason,

hospitals are overflowing, equipment is scarce, supplies are dwindling,

and people are dying,

and no one really knows what this new corona virus is all about,

or whether it will ever be defeated,

or whether our lives will ever become "normal" again.

The World Health Organization has backtracked on some of the things

they believed to be true about the virus at the time they were reported.

They are now saying "based on the information we have at this time",

why? because no one is familiar with SARS 2, and all they can do is report what they know at the time.

Every time scientists and medical professionals find out something new

they share it with the public, and sometimes they find out in a matter of days, that it might not be true,

it might not be an absolute. 

Originally the WHO reported one of the symptoms as a dry cough,

then it was reported as a productive cough, now we know you don't even have to have a cough to test positive.

You don't have to have any symptoms.

But nobody knew that before. Beating SARS 2 is a work in progress,

I don't think anyone knows as much about it as we need to defeat it. .

People want to hold someone else responsible for cancelled vacations, lost jobs,

cancelled proms, wasted semesters, cancelled weddings, closed stores and restaurants,

closed schools, businesses that will go bankrupt, closed houses of worship,

and a world economy that is going to tank and may never recover in many areas.

People are looking for a scapegoat, someone to blame for the virus,

someone to blame for the suffering, someone to blame for the deaths,

and someone to blame for the all deaths and all the suffering yet to come,

because this fight is not over yet, it may never be over.

We  should be kind to each other at this point in time,

if for no other reason than we may never get another chance. 

11 hours ago, ValidEmotions said:

As someone who's grandfather has a permanent cough because his wife used to smoke inside the house for years, not every person who coughs has COVID, or might even be remotely sick/contagious (Cold, Flu, those types of things). The same can be said about sneezing/sniffling--it's not always an illness and could just be an allergy or something else benign. I cough all day every time I clean the cat box. 

Indeed. For example, I'm coughing because of reflux. When I'm lying down, stomach acids are fighting their way to areas they don't belong, which irritates my throat and makes me cough for the first half of the day. My co-workers are sneezing due to allergies - nice weather means lots of pollen.

Of course, nobody knows why exactly you're coughing and that you're really NOT infected with anything.

As someone told me recently: "I used to cough to cover up my fart noises. Now I'm farting to cover up my coughs." XD

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

As someone told me recently: "I used to cough to cover up my fart noises. Now I'm farting to cover up my coughs." XD

That sounds like a great strategy. Especially the first. I shall recommend it to people who might need it... :D 

2 hours ago, TheScorpionKing said:

People are looking for a scapegoat, someone to blame for the virus,

someone to blame for the suffering, someone to blame for the deaths,

and someone to blame for the all deaths and all the suffering yet to come,

because this fight is not over yet, it may never be over.

Maybe. Quite often, they really are looking for a scapegoat. I heard and read about several attacks against Asian-looking people which were deemed "Chinese" and thus "guilty" by their attackers. There was one incident where one such Asian person was attacked with hand sanitizer...

But I also see a lot of other fingers pointed. Towards pretty much all kinds of foreigners - be they seeking asylum or living here for decades. They're foreign, the virus is foreign, they're to blame. (A definite favorite of the nazis we still have. *cough* AfD *cough*).

I also see fingers pointed towards China. Yes, Covid-19 (most likely) originated there - like so many other diseases. Yes, their practice of keeping all kinds of animals close together is the best way to create new diseases (zoonosis). And, hopefully, they will learn something from this. It's unlikely, though. And there are many things other states could have done to prevent the spread of the disease, too.

Personally, I blame the people who go everywhere - including mass events - while obviously sick. Like that couple responsible for the awful outbreak in Heinsberg. They just had to attend one event with around 300 people present, despite (most likely) being sick. That's just so careless. :angry:

I'd prefer if fingers weren't pointed at whoever one thinks may be guilty, but rather to solutions ...

1 hour ago, olympe said:

Personally, I blame the people who go everywhere - including mass events - while obviously sick. Like that couple responsible for the awful outbreak in Heinsberg. They just had to attend one event with around 300 people present, despite (most likely) being sick. That's just so careless. :angry:

Actually I blame certain adverts for that. There are numerous medicines basically against the common cold where the ads say "take medicine XY and you are totally fine again and can go out to whatever". For the Germans - need I say "DU HAST ES MIR VERSPROCHEN!!!"?

As a matter of fact - even before Covid-19 first showed up, I actually called the Bundesgesundheitsministerium (Federal Health Office) to complain about this advertisement, particularly as it shows the obviously sick guy to visit an overcrowded music event in the end. Let's spray my bugs around to some hundred people, just for good measure...Oh, and this obnoxious girl needs some better upbringing, too. (I wanted to suggest something more radical, but that would probably get me strictly censored here XD)

Edited by Astreya

36 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I'd prefer if fingers weren't pointed at whoever one thinks may be guilty, but rather to solutions ...

Too true. But what do we have for solutions?

• Social distancing and lockdowns? Look at Italy or Spain and tell me how well that works out. Look at Germany. We're not doing that much better, either. Yes, the speed at which our total cases number doubles is reduced - but the number is so high that we desperately need to flatten the curve to have less than 4000-7000 new cases a day.
  • Wearing face masks? Which face masks? :unsure:
  • Proper hand hygiene - still not as effective as one would wish, but all we have at the moment. Well, that and social distancing.
  • Sneazing/Coughing etiquette? Probably a good thing, too. But still not the cure-all we so desperately need ASAP.

If people actually DID the full slate - but there are far too many people assuming that they are the exception and they won't harm anyone. I still haven't forgotten that grandad saying he would willingly die of it for one day at the beach (fine) with his grandkids (NOT FINE). And that anyway they have the RIGHT to live as they wish - not thinking one iota about how that affects others.

And I believe Italy has already admitted that they shouldn't have had people with symptoms isolate at home WITH THEIR FAMILIES.... Saying that they should have thought that one through.

There is as yet no cure, not any "cure-all" of any kind. But if we ALL observed FULL social distancing, it would help enormously. If you are 4 metres (the latest recommendation) from anyone else, you do not need a mask of any kind.

I am quite happy to blame anyone who is disregarding social distancing.

4 hours ago, olympe said:

There was one incident where one such Asian person was attacked with hand sanitizer....

What in the world?  Were they going to "clean" them with it?  People are so stupid.

Have you heard about the results of your test yet?

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Yeppers.  

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

There is as yet no cure, not any "cure-all" of any kind. But if we ALL observed FULL social distancing, it would help enormously. If you are 4 metres (the latest recommendation) from anyone else, you do not need a mask of any kind.

Wow! Bahamians are having a hard enough time with the 6'. They'll really have issues with double that distance.

I don't think blaming anyone or anything is the way to go. I really hate blaming. It doesn't do any good, we don't need any more hate or distrust in this world and especially when there's a crisis like this we should only try to strenghten our cooperation and solidarity. Also, we are all just humans. I get frustrated, too, seeing those people ignore the orders and recommendations, refusing to consider the nature of this situation and the effect of their actons. Yet I don't believe we'll magically get our cure as soon as we find the right persons, societies or countries to blame.

Well, anyway, we just got our multiple-page instruction from the state on how to take care of ourselves and the others, delivered at home. In both the national languages (unfortunately not in Cat Lingo but I'll try my best to translate it for him). We should be good now. :D

20200402_165302.thumb.png.8d2189098cd18543988800579bf242c7.png

Well, the (roughly) 6' (2 m) is what's in place here, and most people are quite religious about it. My mom observed one minor brawl in a line waiting to get into a store (food and other stuff that's mostly considered 'daily needs') because one person was pissed the other didn't keep the 2 m distance. (Of course, they didn't keep their distance while fighting it out. People...)

24 minutes ago, Classycal said:

What in the world?  Were they going to "clean" them with it?  People are so stupid.

I didn't get it, either. But, you know... Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

We got a post card from the President with instructions on it for the COVID 19, with the most important thing self quarantine, isolation and the other things, washing hands etc. And we got notices from our Governor with the same thing, and we got text alerts and emails from our County. So everyone knows what to do. But a lot of people are not following the guidelines and some States have started making arrests because people are still having parties, restaurants are allowing people to eat inside, people are having choir practice and religious service, and the worst is the play dates with their kids at other people's houses and in the parks. People just don't get it.

Well, those who don't get it are the most likely to get *it* (the virus)... Well, them and the people who have to have contact with others due to work. :( 

Here we're still working on that "close the restaurants" thing but it's supposed to finally happen for real on Saturday... :P Not funny, really, rather tragicomic. The costitutional law committee has now given its support but there are still some bureaucratic steps left.

5 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

We got a post card from the President with instructions on it for the COVID 19

'Really?! I haven't gotten mine, yet.

Our governor has put out a number of executive orders, and you can see them online, but I don't think anyone has printed them out to deliver to individual homes or anything like that.

36 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

I just heard a report that he was thinking of putting those who are sick in isolation centers, my initial reaction is it sounds a bit like concentration camps.

That's what the military did when people were flying back from China and then other countries.  It's only 2 weeks, so that's not like a concentration camp.  

And the governor of Georgia today said he only just learned that those with no symptoms can spread it. I don't understand how some people could be so epically stupid. I hope Governors like them are voted out of office.

I could hardly believe that "he just found out" when the CDC announced it some time ago.  

I'm one of the people with both asthma and allergies so I both cough, sneeze and sniffle. 

My allergies can be problematic as it can cause me to touch my face a lot.

Thankfully my chronic fatigue has eased up lately. Normally I have a strong immune system but I don't expect it to be enough especially if I'm suffering from such extreme fatigue. I can only assume that my immune system is taxed when I'm experiencing fatigue like that and would have a harder time fighting any illness off.

I agree we should all be nicer to everyone. 

My allergies do the same and I often have itchy eyes that causes me to touch my eyelids.  

I have chronic fatigue, too, and it sucks.  If you don't have it you can't believe how tired it makes you.  

We should be nicer to everyone, and not just because of the Corona virus. 

Edited by Classycal