trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

Allergies suck, esp now when they make us sniffle and sneeze and everyone leaps a mile away.

24 cases here now...

2 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

That might be so but you'd be taking people who were self-isolating from their homes and their families and there is nothing to say it'd be only 2 weeks especially if they get worse. And I can only imagine how Floridians would react to that. I expect many would stop reporting that they are sick so they aren't taken away to these centers not to mention the illegal immigrants who would never trust the situation. In effect, it would be an ineffective policy and potentially dangerous if people  actually stop reporting that they are ill. And clearly that wasn't effective as it still spread and I don't know how they would account for those who are asymptomatic.

Also so sorry you have that horrid fatigue too. It is no joke. I've noticed its worse the more pain I'm in (which I experience everyday in varying levels and various sources.)

No, that's not right to take people out of their homes.  I thought you were talking about people coming off the cruise ships only.  

Yes, pain, which I also suffer from daily, makes the fatigue worse for me, too.  

7 hours ago, purplehaze said:

'Really?! I haven't gotten mine, yet.

Our governor has put out a number of executive orders, and you can see them online, but I don't think anyone has printed them out to deliver to individual homes or anything like that.

The one I got is a postcard. It is just like the blue and white card that looks like a FedEx shipping envelope, they are always holding up when there is  a press conference. On the front it says "SLOW THE SPREAD/ PRESIDENT TRUMP'S CORONAVIRUS GUIDELINES FOR AMERICA" . On the message side it starts with "Listen and follow the directions of your STATE AND LOCAL AUTHORITIES." Then it gives the standard guidelines. If a tech comes in before I leave work I will post a picture of it.

I got mine last week, Los Angeles and San Diego Counties got theirs two weeks ago.

It was addressed to "Postal Customer"

@StormBirdRising Is this a hoax, or did some entertaining soul use the president's name to spread useful information? Because two weeks ago, President Trump was still in denial that Covid-19 was much of a threat...

7 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

That might be so but you'd be taking people who were self-isolating from their homes and their families and there is nothing to say it'd be only 2 weeks especially if they get worse. And I can only imagine how Floridians would react to that. I expect many would stop reporting that they are sick so they aren't taken away to these centers not to mention the illegal immigrants who would never trust the situation. In effect, it would be an ineffective policy and potentially dangerous if people  actually stop reporting that they are ill. And clearly that wasn't effective as it still spread and I don't know how they would account for those who are asymptomatic.

They are saying now that the fact that people in Italy were self-isolating at home WITH THEIR FAMILIES is one of the reasons it rocketed there. Because the result - inevitably - was that the whole family ended up infected, then one or two ended up in hospital and infected the staff and the ambulance drivers and anyone they passed on the way over ....

A friend of mine in Canada, returning there from Germany, had to sign a paper guaranteeing tat he would self -isolate FROM HIS WIFE - he had to live in the basement for 14 days (which isn't actually long enough; there is a known case at my grandson's school where the child showed up infected three weeks after exposure) but...) and not see her at all. They chatted using their cell phones.... The police could have come to check at any time. That is actually how it needs to be. No-one said it was pleasant. But nor is the virus. It takes no prisoners.

34 minutes ago, olympe said:

@StormBirdRising Is this a hoax, or did some entertaining soul use the president's name to spread useful information? Because two weeks ago, President Trump was still in denial that Covid-19 was much of a threat...

This is not a hoax.. I got one in the mail. It is just like the one they are always showing on his press conferences, only smaller so it is the post card size. We got one from our Governor also, saying almost the same thing. And texts from our County supervisor and from our mayor.

You two must be in love with the Donald Trump, because even in this world wide crisis where people are dying, all you are worried about is what the Donald Trump is saying and what he is doing. I don't blame you. He is a rich German-American, but he is already married to the super model so maybe you should find another man to obsess over, and worry instead about staying safe from the coronavirus. It is kind of silly to be worrying so much about him when all the countries are having so many problems and everyone else is worried about dying from the coronavirus. But I can't tell you what to do, I can only make the suggestion.

I urge everyone to follow the protocols from their mayors, Governors, Presidents, Prime Ministers, etc. It is the only way we are all going to survive.

NOT in love with Trump. ABSOLUTELY not. He is - as he always has been - an international disaster. He has been making a total pig's ear of it all by remaining in denial for so long. That denial  is why what he is saying matters. The US is in a far worse position than it would have been if his main concern hadn't been the hope that mas deaths wouldn't affect his chances of re-election. The irony is that if he had taken it seriously in the first place - that probably WOULD have helped his chances. Instead what he has done will have vastly increased the number of deaths in the USA from this virus.

When we had Kushner (who knows nothing about it)  telling him it was nothing, just a bit of flu - and him acting on that....

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/karlie-kloss-kurt-kloss-corwdsource-coronavirus-facebook-jared-kushner_n_5e6c1f9dc5b6dda30fc91601?ri18n=true

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03/trump-awakens-to-the-covid-19-danger

24 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I imagine some sensible government agency sent them out with his name on. He admits that it's a problem, now, but is still lying through his teeth.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/trump-says-keeping-us-covid-19-deaths-to-100000-would-be-a-very-good-job

I am sure that he did not take them to the post office and mail them himself, but they ARE from the office of the President. The President Trump is doing everything humanly possible to keep the American people safe, including deploying America's two amazing hospital ships, that house 1000 patients each, with state of the art operating rooms, the USNS Mercy and the USNS Comfort. He is so amazing. I am so glad he is my President during this crisis, because excellent leadership is very important.

You keep posting about being in the health care profession, how is your experience with helping the UK? Overwhelmed by the COVID 19 they have asked retired nurses, doctors, and health care professionals to volunteer to combat the disease. How is that going for you, since you have the personal experience in this matter?

Exactly - from the Office of the President. From someone in there with enough sense to see the mess he has been making.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/presidents-character-unequal-task/608743/

Trump will, in the end, have been responsible for thousands of unnecessary deaths. Kudos to the state governors - and indeed a few republican senators - who have come out and said he was dangerously inactive. As a leader he has until very recently - when he realised that there might really BE some deaths -  been dangerous. VERY dangerous. He isn't even observing social distancing himself. Look at the photos of him in the Oval office, taken just a couple of days ago - with all his staff around him - well within safe distance we should all be observing.

I am very glad you are grateful to have him as president. It means he isn't mine. Not that Johnson is much better - his government is like a headless chicken. As a result of all his handshaking he IS infected. Luckily here no-one looks to him for advice, but to the health secretary - who is admitting publicly how badly they have messed up (and give him credit - he tried to make Johnson pay attention at the outset.)

I was not on the clinical side of the NHS; I was in public health. But if I were asked, I would go in. Many of my friends have done. I am actually - as I am in a high risk group (over 70) self-isolating, and suspect they would prefer that I didn't. Except for my even older partner, I haven't seen another person in over a week, even at a distance - I live very rurally. That is working fine for me. I have offered to get supplies in for neighbours - but all of us have been being sensible, and have what we need.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

He has been making a total pig's ear of it all

I learned a new phrase today.

9 hours ago, Lagie said:

sniffle and sneeze and everyone leaps a mile away.

So now that's the way to keep pickpockets at bay.

Today, I've seen more people on the streets than in the past 3 weeks. I wonder if people start becoming careless again or if I'm just imagining things ...

I just wanna point out that the media has also bin cause for loss of life beacuse they downplayed it for months calling the flu worse 

then as soon as trump downplays it (likely beacuse the media was doing it/trying to not cause panic) media flips on a dime and overhypes it causing mass panic anyways realistically this is CCP's fault.

honestly we shouldnt be worried about poltics, no matter our president/goverment leaders but we should be aware of what is going on

we should be trying to be kind to one another, and support eachother so take care of eachother and think of your fellow man over yourselves and stay safe <3

NOT in the UK. The media have actually whipped up panic - especially about pasta and toilet paper being in short supply. They weren't - but as a direct result they suddenly were.

Yes we should be taking care etc - but we do need leaders who actually know what they are doing, and who take advice from medics and scientists, not from facebook..

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I imagine some sensible government agency sent them out with his name on. He admits that it's a problem, now, but is still lying through his teeth.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/trump-says-keeping-us-covid-19-deaths-to-100000-would-be-a-very-good-job

That's my preferred theory, too.

2 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

You two must be in love with the Donald Trump, because even in this world wide crisis where people are dying, all you are worried about is what the Donald Trump is saying and what he is doing.

g020.gif 

e025.gif

I wouldn't poke that... piece of whatever with a 12-foot-pole.  k015.gif Not for all the money in the world. It's definitely not worth it. 

c050.gif

2 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

It is kind of silly to be worrying so much about him when all the countries are having so many problems and everyone else is worried about dying from the coronavirus.

Uh-huh. What happened to your rationale that there's no need to panic?

On 3/14/2020 at 12:23 AM, StormBirdRising said:

Me, I am still going to my swim club and to restaurants and to my gym and to work (because in my job you have to be dead to get a day off). Last year 13,000 Americans died of the flu, 1300 were here in California. It is like that every year, so I am not worried about the corona virus, if that is what it really is, because I really don't know.

What happened to "it's just a cold"?

On 3/14/2020 at 7:13 AM, StormBirdRising said:

The first hand accounts I have read of people who have had the corona virus are that it is like a cold, much less severe than a flu. I don't want anyone to panic about this and do anything crazy like they did in the flu of 1918 when Americans were in a total panic and committing suicide rather than catch the flu.

What happened to the "good prognosis"?

On 3/16/2020 at 6:40 PM, StormBirdRising said:

Keep a good mental attitude, the prognosis is very good. Every country's  leaders are doing everything to protect their citizens.

Someone here seems to change their opinion and their perception of reality and truth in tune with their president. (Reminds me of the effect the "Ministry of Truth" in Orwell's novel "1984" had on the regular population) Someone here also likes to spread all positive press releases about their president. I wonder - are you part of his team, or maybe a member of his family? Because you certainly act like his personal spokesperson.

1 hour ago, KaitoDragon6248 said:

I just wanna point out that the media has also bin cause for loss of life beacuse they downplayed it for months calling the flu worse 

then as soon as trump downplays it (likely beacuse the media was doing it/trying to not cause panic) media flips on a dime and overhypes it causing mass panic anyways realistically this is CCP's fault.

So it's the media's fault now? And even if some media outlet or other even made such a claim - shouldn't a nation's president have better sources than the newspaper with the message that best fits their prejudice? Shouldn't a leader be able to see more than just one side of the story in order to, well, lead? Or make *informed* decisions?

27 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

NOT in the UK. The media have actually whipped up panic - especially about pasta and toilet paper being in short supply. They weren't - but as a direct result they suddenly were.

Yes we should be taking care etc - but we do need leaders who actually know what they are doing, and who take advice from medics and scientists, not from facebook..

This, so much. It's the same over here.

Edited by olympe

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I was not on the clinical side of the NHS; I was in public health. But if I were asked, I would go in. Many of my friends have done. I am actually - as I am in a high risk group (over 70) self-isolating, and suspect they would prefer that I didn't. Except for my even older partner, I haven't seen another person in over a week, even at a distance - I live very rurally. That is working fine for me. I have offered to get supplies in for neighbours - but all of us have been being sensible, and have what we need.

Then you are doing what everyone should be doing. The self isolation and taking this seriously. And when this is over, they will need everyone with your medical experiences and your life experiences to help people during the recovery. The people that are left will be having the shock for a very long time.

And Trump will carry on blaming everyone else for the deaths.

Thursday, April 2

18:23 GMT - World Bank to roll out $160bn emergency aid

The World Bank approved a plan to roll out $160bn in emergency aid over 15 months to help countries deal with the impact of the global coronavirus pandemic.

The board of the Washington-based development lender announced the first set of fast-track crisis funding, with an initial $1.9bn going to projects in 25 countries, and operations moving forward in another 40 nations, the bank said in a statement.

The bank is also working to redeploy $1.7bn of existing funding, including the use of "catastrophic drawdowns", a type of emergency credit line.

18:21 GMT - France's death toll jumps to nearly 5,400

The number of cumulative known deaths from coronavirus in France surged to nearly 5,400 as the country started including fatalities in nursing homes in its data.

Jerome Salomon, head of the public health authority, said the number of coronavirus-related deaths in hospitals rose 12 percent on Thursday to 4,503 from a day earlier.

He added that a provisional tally showed that a cumulative 884 people in total had died in nursing homes. This makes for a total of 5,387 lives lost to coronavirus in France.

13:30 GMT - UK death toll rises to 2,921, up 24 percent in a day

The UK's death toll from the coronavirus rose 24 percent to 2,921 as of April 1.

As of 08:00 GMT on April 2, a total of 163,194 people had been tested of which 33,718 tested positive, the health ministry said.

"Of those hospitalised in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus, 2,921 have sadly died," the health ministry said.

12:40 GMT - UK health minister to set out new testing measures 

UK Health minister Matt Hancock will set out on Thursday how Britain will boost its testing regime to help tackle the coronavirus outbreak, a spokesman for Prime Minister Boris Johnson said, acknowledging more needed to be done.

Johnson believed Britain must see a "massive increase" in testing to "unlock the coronavirus puzzle and defeat it in the end", the spokesman said. 

"We acknowledge that more needs to be done in relation to testing, we need to be testing more people and we need to be making progress very quickly ... The health secretary will set out later the steps we

12:10 GMT - Deaths in Netherlands increase to 1,339

The number of deaths caused by an infection with the new coronavirus in the Netherlands has increased by 166 to 1,339, health authorities have said. 

The number of confirmed coronavirus infections in the country increased by 8 percent to 14,697, the Dutch Institute for Public Health said.

are going to be taking to ensure that there is a significant increase in testing." 

09:45 GMT - Spain's coronavirus death toll passes 10,000

Spain's coronavirus death toll has risen to 10,003 from 9,053, according to the country's health officials, the highest daily toll since the outbreak began. 

Meanwhile, the number of infections rose to 110,238, up from 102,136 the previous day. 

Despite the new figure, Health Minister Salvador Illa insisted there was reason for optimism, saying that "the data shows that the curve   has stabilised - we have reached the highest point and things are slowing down." 

09:35 GMT - Belgium death toll tops 1,000

Coronavirus deaths in Belgium increased sharply and passed the 1,000 mark, health officials said. 

The official toll in the country of 11.4 million has doubled in the space of three days, in part because figures have been updated with a backlog of fatalities from retirement homes.

There have now been 1,001 deaths and 15,348 recorded cases since the outbreak started, officials told a daily news conference.

07:30 GMT - Top UK health official says 'everybody is frustrated' over stalled testing

One of the UK's top health officials has said there is widespread frustration within the government that the country was not testing enough people yet.

"Everybody involved is frustrated that we haven't got to the position yet that we need to get to," Paul Cosford, emeritus medical director of Public Health England, told BBC radio.

"But we've got up to almost 13,000 tests a day being available," he said.

And your point is ? No-one said other countries were getting it all right. I even said specifically that the UK hasn't.

Just that Trump has not been helping. And you don't mention the US, I note.

5,949 people have died from coronavirus in the U.S.

At least 245,000 cases have been confirmed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=lb_coronavirus-what-you-need-to-read_7

@StormBirdRising

That's all whataboutery. Mr.Trump lied  through his teeth about the situation from the beginning and continues lying and trying to shift the blame for his own catastrophic and callous mistakes.

US Confirmed Cases as of 1600/ April 2, 2020

• Total cases: 213,144
  • Total deaths: 4,513
  • Jurisdictions reporting cases: 55 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands)

I suppose no Trump supporter will believe the Washington Post. Where my figures

were posted today at 3.48 am - so are  newer than yours.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

4 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

The President Trump is doing everything humanly possible to keep the American people safe, including deploying America's two amazing hospital ships, that house 1000 patients each, with state of the art operating rooms, the USNS Mercy and the USNS Comfort. 

Those two hospital ships are for NON-COVID patients, and the one in NYC with 1,000 beds has only 10 patients as of two days ago.

3 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

So now that's the way to keep pickpockets at bay.

That made a nice rhyming couplet, my post and yours. XD

Guess I will be doing my own shopping after all. My sister's company doesn't deliver on weekends and I was too late to get into today's queue. I'll pick up a mask from work today and go very early tomorrow.

Edited by Lagie
Typos

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I suppose no Trump supporter will believe the Washington Post. Where my figures

were posted today at 3.48 am - so are  newer than yours.

Mine are from the CDC ( Center for Disease Control) . They send me a report every day reflecting the total cases as of 1600 from the day before.

Exactly. Yours are from yesterday. there has been a big rise since then.

1560271354_Image2.png.2e71fdc6b38b7f584fb6bf0765bddef8.png

Nearly every state has recorded deaths.

1475782126_Image3.thumb.png.70b8d63531837f19a86d3c26748fd7f1.png

You can believe what you like, but the facts in the US are scarier than you seem to think.

Because testing was slow to begin in the United States, health officials agree that the number of confirmed cases is much lower than the actual number of people who have the disease, and even the count of deaths is probably low because of differences in reporting by overwhelmed local jurisdictions.

Edited by Fuzzbucket