trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

1 minute ago, Lagie said:

Those two hospital ships are for NON-COVID patients, and the one in NYC with 1,000 beds has only 10 patients as of two days ago.

What's your point?

1 minute ago, StormBirdRising said:

What's your point?

It's not helping the overall hospital bed situation much at the moment, is all.

50 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

And your point is ? No-one said other countries were getting it all right. I even said specifically that the UK hasn't.

Just that Trump has not been helping. And you don't mention the US, I note.

My most recent posts regarding the world wide crisis have nothing to do with Donald Trump or with YOU.  I am posting what is going on in the world with the COVID 19. It has nothing to do with you.

Edited by StormBirdRising

1 minute ago, Lagie said:

It's not helping the overall hospital bed situation much at the moment, is all.

Gov Cuomo asked for the USNS Comfort. That is the hospital ship that is usually deployed overseas in medical crises. Cuomo said he needed the beds for non-COVID patients. And you are right, it is not being utilized.

6 minutes ago, StormBirdRising said:

USNS Comfort

That's a great name for a hospital ship!

1 minute ago, Ruby Eyes said:

The other one is the USNS Mercy. They are remarkable. I was on the Mercy when she was drydocked in San Diego. She was awesome. A state of the art hospital, so pristine. It was amazing. I believe the DoD has posted pictures of the inside of them on the internet somewhere.

16 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Isn't it just!

22 minutes ago, StormBirdRising said:

Gov Cuomo asked for the USNS Comfort. That is the hospital ship that is usually deployed overseas in medical crises. Cuomo said he needed the beds for non-COVID patients. And you are right, it is not being utilized.

I guess the fear is, if you move current non-COVID patients from hospitals where there are active cases, they could potentially carry it to the ship.

Do you know anything about the stadium that is also non-COVID and also in NY? It also appears to be being underutilized.

I think the two huge medical ships of the US are amazing. And they are really solely medical ships, so they are allowed to run all white with red crosses, thus they have full Geneva convention protection. 

Sadly the German navy has nothing comparable - our three EGVs only have the capacity of small rural hospitals and they are not even proper hospital ships :(

35 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Isn't it just!

I guess the fear is, if you move current non-COVID patients from hospitals where there are active cases, they could potentially carry it to the ship.

Do you know anything about the stadium that is also non-COVID and also in NY? It also appears to be being underutilized.

I'm not sure about that one, I think it is in the Jacob Javits Stadium but there is also another one right in Central Park. The National Guard has built field hospitals all over the US. I don't know how many of them are being used right now. I think the biggest one is in Chicago, IL.

5 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

you are worried about is what the Donald Trump is saying and what he is doing.

5 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

The President Trump is doing everything humanly possible to keep the American people safe

Well no duh people are concerned about what Trump is saying and doing: he's the fffff president of the US and he's doing an absolutely crap job of it. And he has a follower base that idolizes him above God and takes everything he says like it's the Holy Grail. That includes the massive amount of misinformation Trump spreads.

You still haven't bothered looking at the sources all of us have been posting, I guarantee. I even posted an entire list of sources detailing his actions and statements in the last couple weeks. 

The states are suffering as a result of his disgusting lack of leadership.

Side note, language tip: since Trump is a human (much to my disbelief), there should be no definite article ("the") before his name and title. 

So: " The Donald Trump" and "the President Trump".

Edited by ValidEmotions

What's going on in the world - and what in the US?

Well, let me give you a little comparison. Germany has a population of 83 million, roughly 85,000 people infected with SARS-CoV-2 and a death toll of roughly 1100 people. 22,000 have recovered from Covid-19.

The state New York has a population of 20 million, roughly 93,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 and a death toll of more than 1,500 people. Around 9,000 people have recovered from Covid-19.

And many people in the US still don't get it. Yes, America is first in everything. Most cases, most fatalities, highest daily growth in case numbers, and (one of) the highest daily deaths worldwide. 

Almost one fourth of all known Covid-19 patients *worldwide* are in the US. The US have more cases than Italy and Spain put together - they're 2nd and 3rd place, respectively.

I've seen some statistics in which Switzerland had the highest number of Covid-19 cases per capita. I'm not sure what to make of that: was our government late in telling us to stay home? Did too many people ignore the advice? Do we have significantly more people using public transport than other countries, so more people got infected before they started staying home? Are simply more people being tested than in other countries (I think I've read that, too), so of course more cases are detected? Is it connected to the population density? No matter how many numbers we have, there's always some context missing.

(One thing that's certain, though, is that we can't compare absolute numbers of infections between countries.)

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if I caught it during the last few days, because sadly it wasn't always possible to stay 2 meters (or even more) away from the moving company employees (who probably have also been in contact with lots of other customers of theirs). I kept washing my hands of course, but if it's transmitted just by breathing near another person, ... well. I'll find out sooner or later. :unsure:

Switzerland is a transit country. And a winter holiday destination, so lots of tourists from all over. And it's close to Italy...  (Not trying to point fingers, but the crisis in Europe started there. Not their fault, though.) That, and the fact they got much less warning than many other European countries (except Italy and maybe Spain). Overall, Switzerland has the deck stacked against them. Not to mention that the absolute numbers probably looked less threatening due the fact that the Swiss population isn't that high.

9 hours ago, olympe said:

@StormBirdRising Is this a hoax, or did some entertaining soul use the president's name to spread useful information? Because two weeks ago, President Trump was still in denial that Covid-19 was much of a threat...

Nope.  I got one of those postcards, too - about 2 weeks ago.  

8 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

The President Trump is doing everything humanly possible to keep the American people safe

That's just laughable. Doing 'everything humanly possible' would have started with getting working tests from the WHO, testing everyone, and isolating those who tested positive and anyone they had contact with. Instead, Trump denied this was an issue until he couldn't anymore, we decided to make our own tests(because, money!) that didn't even work the first time and now we're in this mess.

We this site to keep up to date with the numbers: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

COVID-19 has only been in the US for about two and a half months and we're already up to over 250,000 confirmed cases(and we're barely testing) and over 6,000 deaths. All of those deaths happen in about a month.

3 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

I'm not sure about that one, I think it is in the Jacob Javits Stadium but there is also another one right in Central Park. The National Guard has built field hospitals all over the US. I don't know how many of them are being used right now. I think the biggest one is in Chicago, IL.

It's now officially for COVID patients, I found out (listening to last night's Rachel Maddow).

The worldwide numbers are just staggering. How does the world recover from this?

44 minutes ago, Classycal said:

Nope.  I got one of those postcards, too - about 2 weeks ago.  

Two weeks ago, Trump was still convinced that Covid-19 was "just a little flu". So it must have been some entertaining soul's idea to spread *good* information in the President's name. It's the only logical explanation. Whoever it was, I hope they don't get fired over it. 

Now see, I never received any such COVID Postcards from anyone. Neither the Office nor my state or local government.

6 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

This was on the regular internet so I am assuming it is not classified. https://navylive.dodlive.mil/2020/03/26/usns-mercy-usns-comfort-2020-covid-19-deployment/

What is "the regular internet"?

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Exactly. Yours are from yesterday. there has been a big rise since then.

Because testing was slow to begin in the United States, health officials agree that the number of confirmed cases is much lower than the actual number of people who have the disease, and even the count of deaths is probably low because of differences in reporting by overwhelmed local jurisdictions.

This is why I don't post the infected and death toll cases, because most likely by the time anyone reads them they'll be outdated. They're rising every hour. And honestly, I think the number of people who have the disease and the number of people who have died from it are being underreported all over the world. China and Russia have both been accused of fabricating their numbers, and I know the U.S. has been for the reasons you posted, and some local authorities are trying to re-classify some covid-19 deaths as other causes, with covid-19 just being one of their other symptoms. 

5 hours ago, olympe said:

What's going on in the world - and what in the US?

Well, let me give you a little comparison. Germany has a population of 83 million, roughly 85,000 people infected with SARS-CoV-2 and a death toll of roughly 1100 people. 22,000 have recovered from Covid-19.

The state New York has a population of 20 million, roughly 93,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 and a death toll of more than 1,500 people. Around 9,000 people have recovered from Covid-19.

And many people in the US still don't get it. Yes, America is first in everything. Most cases, most fatalities, highest daily growth in case numbers, and (one of) the highest daily deaths worldwide. 

Almost one fourth of all known Covid-19 patients *worldwide* are in the US. The US have more cases than Italy and Spain put together - they're 2nd and 3rd place, respectively.

I want a bullhorn to shout that last paragraph to the parts of the country still not practicing social distancing (looking at you Alabama, Missouri, South Carolina, and Utah), and still exempting religious gatherings from social distancing orders (looking at you, Tennessee). What has to happen for you to take this seriously? 

I also never got a postcard about covid-19 postcard from federal or state government. 

2 hours ago, ValidEmotions said:

Now see, I never received any such COVID Postcards from anyone. Neither the Office nor my state or local government.

It might be because this happened only in some states. Maybe. You could all compare your states of origin to either prove or disprove this theory. I'm still convinced that Trump had no idea about these postcards and either doesn't care (because, woohoo, good feedback) or put a stop to it (which could also be the reason not everyone got their postcard).

9 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

trying to re-classify some covid-19 deaths as other causes, with covid-19 just being one of their other symptoms.

I can't determine if you're trying to make this a bad thing? Is it worse to have the stats be as accurate as possible (not just for this pandemic but for other causes of death, as well) or to have COVID blamed for every single medically-related death, even though someone died because they had a heart attack or organ failure or cancer while displaying symptoms?

14 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

I want a bullhorn to shout that last paragraph to the parts of the country still not practicing social distancing (looking at you Alabama, Missouri, South Carolina, and Utah), and still exempting religious gatherings from social distancing orders (looking at you, Tennessee). What has to happen for you to take this seriously? 

Florida, too, is allowing religious services, I believe.

Ours are now online here.

Just now, ValidEmotions said:

I can't determine if you're trying to make this a bad thing? Is it worse to have the stats be as accurate as possible (not just for this pandemic but for other causes of death, as well) or to have COVID blamed for every single medically-related death, even though someone died because they had a heart attack or organ failure or cancer while displaying symptoms?

Since we crossposted...

It depends on what is done with the numbers. Like France... People who died from Covid-19 in nursery homes weren't included in the statistics until yesterday, but only those who died in hospitals. I'm pretty sure that means that people dying of Covid-19 at  home aren't included, either. However, the French recognized this problem and did their best to rectify it.

Regarding skewed numbers from China: I'm not sure. China has a very powerful propaganda, so it's quite believable that they might have "edited" their numbers. Another thing is that the official numbers, right after online publication, were distinctly higher than a short time later, which hints quite strongly at falsified numbers. Especially considering that this was a regular occurrence.

Regarding Russia: I don't think they test enough people to get an idea of how many are infected. Russia is huge, but the population is spread quite thin (apart from some metropolises like Moscow, Sochi or Piter). And, according to the old adage of "if I can't see it, it isn't real", they do have low numbers. Just like the US did before they started testing in earnest.

4 minutes ago, ValidEmotions said:

I'm not, but it's one of the reasons the numbers are unreliable. I think part of that reason is the latter statement here, that they died while infected with covid-19, so that was immediately blamed for their death. It was only afterwards that pre-existing conditions, like leukemia, were found that were the actual cause of death. The other part is the deaths aren't being reported, nurses have gone on record saying they're being underreported, with no idea why.