trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

The heute show (German satire magazine) had some scathing clips about the greatest "Covidiots" on Friday. Number one was Belarus President Lukashenko, who was interviewed during an ice hockey match and who said something like "Virus? Here is no virus. Or do you see any virus here?" *headdesk*, repeatedly

17 minutes ago, Astreya said:

The heute show (German satire magazine) had some scathing clips about the greatest "Covidiots" on Friday. Number one was Belarus President Lukashenko, who was interviewed during an ice hockey match and who said something like "Virus? Here is no virus. Or do you see any virus here?" *headdesk*, repeatedly

This is so stupid, I'm inclined to try *deskhead* instead of *headdesk*...

I just watched that clip on youtube - and I'm afraid that D. Trump will realize that he isn't content with being third. He'll have to be first... *sigh*

Edited by olympe

8 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Ignorance is a worldwide phenomenon that knows no ethnicity, religion, economic class, or gender.

Too right: though for this one I leave out class, if class means (as it so often does)  CASH:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/04/rural-resort-towns-coronavirus-covid-19-holiday

And after they have overrun small communities and infected the locals, they have the cash to get the best care and equipment for their selfish selves.

The virus has taken hold everywhere, and there are idiots everywhere. Also - in a way more worrying - the people who say the government has no RIGHT to take away our freedoms like this without going to court to ask if it's legal. That if we choose to go out, even to take that risk, that is our right. You know - I'd allow that - as long as they stay 50 metres from ANYONE else, don't touch anything, and get to be put in a body bag (yes, alive) if they are infected, and get no health care at all, so that their selfishness doesn't affect anyone else.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

11 hours ago, Astreya said:

Covidiots

Great word :lol:

Mine for these people is unprintable. But a synonym would be Alan Sugar (don't ask; check twitter....)

It seems to be inevitable that peoples idiocy will ruin what little freedoms we have left. Why not just jump to a fullblown lock down. Theres always going to be idiots who dont listen who will take away the privileges and ruin things for everyone. So just cut to the chase and do it already; only shopping no exercise. It will speed things up in the long run. Im done with this, other people being so stupid and ruining everything for everyone. Why even give them a chance? They were never going to listen. If caught, harsher measures should be taken rather then just telling them to leave. Thats no incentive to stop to someone who has such little care about anyone else. No fines, thats not enough. House arrest. A tracking tag which beeps if they leave. Then they get  sent to jail for many, many years. And a special billboard with their face saying how little they cared about everyone else. Criminals with ASBOS get that treatment they should be treated as such because they are those kind criminals. 

This seems angry and cinical. I am. Its time the government realise that, as long as these idiots are free to roam with very little consequence to them, there will be no improvement. 

Harsh treatment for less long. Or harsh punishment for those who break the rules. There is no other way. I am so done with these idiots who think that SUNBATHING in massive groups is exercise. 

Here are a few words of comfort and inspiration from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.  We are blessed to have a leader who is both strong and kind in these times of trouble.

5 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

Here are a few words of comfort and inspiration from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.  We are blessed to have a leader who is both strong and kind in these times of trouble.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

It seems to be inevitable that peoples idiocy will ruin what little freedoms we have left. Why not just jump to a fullblown lock down. Theres always going to be idiots who dont listen who will take away the privileges and ruin things for everyone. So just cut to the chase and do it already; only shopping no exercise.

That's what they are beginning to consider in the UK. MOST people are behaving but enough aren't that they are considering putting an end to allowing us to exercise.

That is what I refer to. I wish they considered it based on how people acted on Mothers day 😕 Id rather be stuck for a month with no outside time than the whole year being separated from everyone because sUmMeR pArTiEs are more important. 

Mothering Sunday (you ARE in the UK, no ? Mother's Day is the much more commercial US day which hasn't' even happened yet this year- it's on May 10 !) was APPALLING,. The Lake District (up near me) was CRAMMED - hence the high rate of infection in Cumbria !

And... there are idjits in our closed community pool. *rolls eyes* Some people really do not get it.

16 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

There were people in Ohio who just yesterday went to church. They definitely were not practicing social distancing and everyone was hugging each other as they entered the church.  And when asked about it, they claimed to be covered in Christ's blood and so they are protected. The problem with faith is when it contradicts the truth and they refuse to believe their faith could be wrong or misguided.  They all refused to believe they could be passing it on to anyone or simply didn't care. I suppose if they get sick and die, it must be God's Will. (Not that I believe such nonsense.)

I'm a Christian, but these people are just being stupid!  Covidiots (love that word)!  Christ expects us to be sensible.  All Christians should know we aren't protected from disease, but some don't get that.  My church has shut down services worldwide and our conference this weekend was done without an audience.  

I'd hate to see a complete lockdown, but it could come to that.  

The CDC is now recommending we wear masks if you must go out.  I had some medical type masks, but they have disappeared in my moving efforts, so I sewed 5 masks.  I'll keep a couple for me and give the rest away.  

Holy ****. I can't believe I just watched that, but there's a church leader in Louisiana who is still holding services despite already facing charges for ignoring the stay-at-home orders. He actually said that not having an in-church service was worse than all the people dying from COVID-19! The reporter asked what the difference was between what he's doing and the churches that are doing services online and he said 'conviction.'

Let's hope that this Louisiana church leader will indeed be properly convicted...

I've often made the experience that, when blind faith enters, both reason and logic leave in a hurry.

Typical examples: Flat-earthers. Anti-vaxxers. Religious fanatics who ignore rampaging diseases. Priests who bless bombs - even atomic bombs.

Yes, Trump is another example. He has absolute and unshakable faith that he is awesome, that he's always in the right and that he's always doing a "great job". Which is why it's pretty much impossible to reason with him. 

1 hour ago, Raikielia said:

Holy ****. I can't believe I just watched that, but there's a church leader in Louisiana who is still holding services despite already facing charges for ignoring the stay-at-home orders. He actually said that not having an in-church service was worse than all the people dying from COVID-19! The reporter asked what the difference was between what he's doing and the churches that are doing services online and he said 'conviction.'

57 minutes ago, olympe said:

I've often made the experience that, when blind faith enters, both reason and logic leave in a hurry.

Typical examples: Flat-earthers. Anti-vaxxers. Religious fanatics who ignore rampaging diseases. Priests who bless bombs - even atomic bombs.

Yes, Trump is another example. He has absolute and unshakable faith that he is awesome, that he's always in the right and that he's always doing a "great job". Which is why it's pretty much impossible to reason with him. 

*ahem*

I drove past a Catholic church today that was open for business. Many pastors and preachers have switched to online, but there are too many who believe this whole thing is an exaggerated conspiracy designed to hurt Trump. Along with other, less savory things that I don't want to repeat, but the article I linked details.

Some things never change... even in the middle of this pandemic, people here get all excited when they see the country mentioned in any foreign media. First there was the interview with our prime minister in the British Vogue (not about corona, obviously) and then the New York Times wrote about the Finnish Emergency Supply Agency. What happens next? Just about every domestic media publishes the great news that our country has been recognized. :P

After reading the linked article, I tried to write some fitting commentary, but deleted the text twice as my language would be unbefitting to this forum. But I think you can probably imagine what I wanted to write...

And if I were really nasty, I'd wish for the above ijits to become contenders for the next Darwin Awards.

I'd rather have the Darwin awards be won by everyone who claims that Covid is just a hoax. By everyone who claims that Covid was invented or is, at least, being painted much worse than it is by the all-powerful and state-controlled media. I wish the Darwin award to everyone who spreads false "truths" that endanger people.

Is that mean? I feel like it is. I'm not sorry, though.

Exactly that's what I thought, too - all the irresponsible ijits who spout nonsense like the above and thus lead hapless followers to their doom.

Looks like Boris Johnson is aiming for the award. He has been hospitalized for Covid.

17 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

*ahem*

I drove past a Catholic church today that was open for business. Many pastors and preachers have switched to online, but there are too many who believe this whole thing is an exaggerated conspiracy designed to hurt Trump. Along with other, less savory things that I don't want to repeat, but the article I linked details.

I think it's less about Trump(though, I won't discount that's part of it), but more that their belief in 'god' makes them think they're invulnerable. I think that's why they all have no problem gathering and doing everything they shouldn't. And when you tell them they're wrong and try and stop them, then you're 'attacking their freedom of religion.' 

You know, I wouldn't mind if these braindead preachers would catch the virus and off themselves, but the problem is that they will drag numerous of their followers with them.

5 minutes ago, Raikielia said:

I think it's less about Trump(though, I won't discount that's part of it), but more that their belief in 'god' makes them think they're invulnerable. I think that's why they all have no problem gathering and doing everything they shouldn't. And when you tell them they're wrong and try and stop them, then you're 'attacking their freedom of religion.' 

It's a smorgasbord of lunacy. From their own mouths, the theories range from this being a conspiracy to hurt Trump, to trying to control the masses, to encroaching on their freedom of religion (you mentioned that at the end of your post and that's indeed a reason), to it being a hoax, to the fact that only God and their faith can protect them. I'm a religious person myself, and do not agree with any of these viewpoints.