trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

@trystan

I see. I didn't see a positivity rate, hence I thought you might know some other source, too. For the whole of Germany, we have statistics about the positivity rate and they look pretty worrisome, too:

If you look here you see that we currently have around 1.5 million tests per week, but the percentage of positive tests has risen considerably (the number in the red bars):

Spoiler

covid.png

(The first number is the calendar week, the second the number of tests in that week, the third the absolute number of positive tests, the fourth the percentage of positive tests and the fifth the number of laboratories that reported their numbers.)

Edited by Astreya

13 hours ago, Astreya said:

I see. I didn't see a positivity rate, hence I thought you might know some other source, too.

i did find this article dated today with yesterday's info, https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/11/17/coronavirus-in-pennsylvania-no-new-restrictions/, but it's state-wide, and my county isn't listed~

Statewide percent positivity for last week is at 9.6%, compared to 6.9% the week before. Sixty-two of the 67 counties have positivity rates above 5%, including Allegheny County, which stands at 7.7%,

Allegheny County is where my younger daughter's University is, but she's going to do the spring semester from home again.

@trystan

The positivity rate is similar to ours then.

Here the numbers are still not too good:

---------------

As of today, Wednesday, November 18, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 1233 (+59) active cases, while 1116 (+-0) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2371 (+59)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 208.3 (-0.5).

Currently 73 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 15 (+2) of them in intensive care, 8 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration. 22 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1962 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 48 743  Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

6 minutes ago, Astreya said:

The positivity rate is similar to ours then.

oh goodie.  and by "oh goodie" i mean "bleh. that's not so good."

@trystan

And what's majorly worrisome - our positivity rate is fast increasing. Today they reported 9.00% positiv tests. And still the Covid deniers refuse to wear masks, keep distance or don't even believe the pandemic exists.

@Astreya - wow, that sounds like some of the people here too!  and then there's the people who are in the hospital with this, and they STILL deny it. :blink:

Sadly so. I had a woman on phone earlier the day who told me she would absolutely not want to go vaccinated because the vaccine would alter her DNA and anyway, Bill Gates was knows to vaccinate millions of Indian children into a coma... dash1.gif.117781bb27cf97b4da1c4ae5ce2a1a4c.gif

For the record - the above is of course no true at all.

As for the mRNA vaccine by BioNTech or Moderna - you can imagine it that way (simplified version):

The human DNA is a cookbook in a closed cupboard (the nucleus) from where parts are copied as mRNA recipes that then leave the cell's nucleus to produce certain stuff within the outer areas of the cell (the kitchen, you could say).

Injecting the mRNA vaccine from outside is putting a recipe to produce the spike protein of the virus into the outer part of the cell (onto the kitchen table) so that the immune system starts to produce an immune reaction to later kill the virus.

So you can imagine the mRNA vaccine as a friend who gives you an extra recipe for another dish that you want to cook. Just as copying a recipe from a friend doesn't alter the cooking book you have at home in your cupboard, injecting mRNA into the cell doesn't alter your DNA.

The situation here is still not really getting better. And unfortunately there are not only too many seriously ill people, but also there are more who succumb to the virus and die :(

-------------

As of today, Thursday, November 19, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 1309 (+76) active cases, while 1125 (+9) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2457 (+86)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 192.2 (-16.1).

Currently 80 (+7) persons are treated in hospitals, with 16 (+1) of them in intensive care, 11 (+3) of these needing artificial respiration. 23 (+1) persons sadly died. 1990 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 48 971  Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

--------------

As of today, Friday, November 20, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 1374 (+65) active cases, while 1126 (+1) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2524 (+67)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 175.6 (-16.6).

Currently 84 (+4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (-3) of them in intensive care, 10 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration. 24 (+1) persons sadly died. 2118 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 49 210  Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

--------------

As of today, Saturday, November 21, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 1454 (+80) active cases, while 1126 (+-0) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2606 (+82)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 168.4 (-7.2).

Currently 84 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 9 (-4) of them in intensive care, 6 (-4) of these needing artificial respiration. 26 (+2) persons sadly died. 2198 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 49 328  Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

We're a huge spike here, and I just found out I may have got exposed today... from a careless solicitor, too :( (Seriously, who solicits during COVID?)

I'll be testing tomorrow and waiting on results, I'm crossing my fingers. I've already been sick with some kind of bug for the past few weeks.... I really hope everything will turn up alright.

Eeps. I hope you are okay, @Paintra, and that the test is negative. *hugs*

We had another visit from the Covid Ambassador this week, and all was well. (Personally, I think she just wanted to do some shopping! :P )

Our new case numbers have stayed below 30 for four days now, which is a definite improvement, and no additional deaths since the 14th. We'll have to see if the busted wedding and nightclub (club owned by a policeman, no less) change that in two weeks' time.

Total cases (to Nov 20th) = 7,395.

Total deaths = 163. :(

@Paintra

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your test will come up negative!

@Lagie

That's great that the numbers at your place look better! I hope that we'll manage to get the curve as well!

--------------

As of today, Sunday, November 22, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 1493 (+39) active cases, while 1126 (+-0) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2645 (+39)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 172.2 (+3.8).

Currently 80 (-4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 12 (+3) of them in intensive care, 10 (+4) of these needing artificial respiration. 26 persons sadly died. 2127 persons are currently quarantined.

--------------

As of today, Monday, November 23, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 1379 (-114) active cases, while 1249 (+123) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2654 (+9)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 169.9 (-2.3).

Currently 83 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (-1) of them in intensive care, 9 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration. 26 persons sadly died. 1945 persons are currently quarantined.

Edited by Astreya

Im from Puerto Rico and the CDC has placed us at level 4, which is the highest level of risk -__- We are a US colony plus our governor sucks so its everyone for themselves. They should have stopped unecesary travel when the pandemic begun but people were still coming on vacation from the mainland 🤦‍♀️ and others keep going back and forth visiting family in the states. There are restrictions in place but no police to enforce it, so theres been a few instances when people have had to enforce them on their own 😅 which has resulted in some broken noses. Now the new incoming governor(we are not sure if he really won because they are like mafia and boxes full of uncounted votes keep appearing)  will be worse than the one we have, he wants to send kids to school with the numbers getting higher every day. My only hope is that Biden will place restictions at federal level when he starts in january. Maybe something will improve, our healthcare system is lacking and we are losing nurses and doctors :( and theres still people out here saying covid isnt real so they keep spreading it and refusing to take the necessary precautions. 

Level 4: Very High Level of COVID-19 in Puerto Rico

Elery, I lived in PR for awhile.  I hate it that things are so bad there.

Paintra, have you heard about your test yet?   

@Elery

That sounds awful. Please try to stay safe!

-------------

As of today, Tuesday, November 24 15:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 1364 (-15) active cases, while 1297 (+48) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2688 (+34)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 159.9 (-10.0).

Currently 85 (+2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (-1) of them in intensive care, 9 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration. 27 (+1) persons sadly died. 1600 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 49 763 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-------------

As of today, Wednesday, November 25, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 1399 (+35) active cases, while 1329 (+32) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2755 (+67)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 159.9 (+-0.0).

Currently 89 (+4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (+1) of them in intensive care, 9 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration. 27 persons sadly died. 1625 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 50 207 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-------------

As of today, Thursday, November 26, 16:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 1089 (-310) active cases, while 1693 (+364) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2809 (+54)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 144.7 (-15.2).

Currently 94 (+5) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (-1) of them in intensive care, 8 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration. 27 persons sadly died. 1418 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 50 433 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

I am appalled that in spite of strong warnings and rising cases there were so many people in the US who still decided to travel or have large family Thanksgiving gatherings. I missed being with my family for Thanksgiving, but I would like us all to be around for many Thanksgivings to come!

"Just this once!"

"But we always have ...!"

"None of us are affected so nothing will happen!"

"Eh, it's far away from us ..."

You know the usual excuses ...

Well, if you saw the mob in Hildburghausen demonstrating against the anti-covid measures despite a 7-day-incidence of 629.8 (source) you really doubt the common sense of the people on this side of the big pond, too.

Great. I just saw the update of the crisis management group in Oberhausen, and this time we have 5 more deaths. :(

-------------

As of today, Friday, November 27, 16:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 962 (-127) active cases, while 1884 (+191) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2878 (+69)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 147.6 (-+2.9).

Currently 94 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 8 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration. 32 (+5) persons sadly died. 1293 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 50 627 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Germany looks scary in general:

germany.png

Bright red is 50-100, dark red/brown 100-200 and really dark red/brown is > 200. [source]

Edited by Astreya

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

Germany looks scary in general:

germany.png

Bright red is 50-100, dark red/brown 100-200 and really dark red/brown is > 200. [source]

:o Wow. That has gone seriously dark. :(

We're managing to stay low for a change. Hoping it stays that way.

People consistently remind me that I hate people 🙃

My mom just got a call from the medical office she works at. One of her coworkers tested positive for COVID. Her results were ready on Monday but she didn't check her own results until Yesterday. She came in to work Mon-Wed alongside everyone else. My mom feels the risk of exposer is incredibly low since they all have diligently worn masks, kept distance from each other, etc. and my mom rarely needed to interact with the said coworker. If she had to, it was less than a minute or two. However, she's still debating whether she should take a test just to be certain.

I live with my parents. Both my mom and my dad are immunocompromised. 

Wtf?? If you get a test done, check your results the moment they're available and stay away from people until you know it came up negative.

Every minute, 114 Americans are testing positive for COVID-19, according to Johns Hopkins University data. Every hour, 65 Americans are dying.

And still people are denying and refusing to take precautions! What is wrong with them???

this might explain a few things:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2020/11/25/florida-gov-extends-ban-on-cities-imposing-their-own-masks-mandates-critic-calls-move-a-killing-spree/

Florida Governor Extends Ban On Cities Imposing Their Own Mask Mandates—Critic Calls Move A ‘Killing Spree’

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has extended an order that bans localities in the state from enforcing mask mandates, seen as one of the simplest and most effective government measures to slow the spread of coronavirus, even as data shows the strain on the state’s health care system continuing to worsen."

wtf?!?

Edited by trystan

5 hours ago, trystan said:

this might explain a few things:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2020/11/25/florida-gov-extends-ban-on-cities-imposing-their-own-masks-mandates-critic-calls-move-a-killing-spree/

Florida Governor Extends Ban On Cities Imposing Their Own Mask Mandates—Critic Calls Move A ‘Killing Spree’

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has extended an order that bans localities in the state from enforcing mask mandates, seen as one of the simplest and most effective government measures to slow the spread of coronavirus, even as data shows the strain on the state’s health care system continuing to worsen."

wtf?!?

That's... just... :blink:

One of our coworkers has been off for two days, sick with Covid-like symptoms, and tried to come to work today but the supervisor sent her home and to get a Covid test. I hope it's negative. *crosses fingers* If it's not, we will all need to be tested.

1 hour ago, Lagie said:

That's... just... :blink:

so is the fact that there were almost 200,000 new cases in the US today. wtf?!?