trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

16 hours ago, Lagie said:

We're managing to stay low for a change. Hoping it stays that way.

I really hope you can manage to keep things down now! You were badly afflicted enoughin your place!

11 hours ago, trystan said:

yikes! that looks like the u.s. Midwest too :o

Sadly we have quite a number of utter idiots here, too, who are fed up with the government measures, not realising that by flouting the rules the only make things worse for everybody (themselves included).

I'm still of the opinion that the police should take the names and addresses of those who wantonly flout the rules, so that they will have to pay the hospital bills from their own purses if they get infected (and not have their health insurances pay everything). I think that would make them reconsider their idiotic protests against measures that are only there to keep them safe and help avoid the hospital staff to get exhausted and the hospitals overwhelmed!

11 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Every minute, 114 Americans are testing positive for COVID-19, according to Johns Hopkins University data. Every hour, 65 Americans are dying. And still people are denying and refusing to take precautions! What is wrong with them???

Reading things this way makes it even scarier. Unfortunately I have the impression that these people need to have friends or relatives get severely infected to understand the severity of the situation.

My brother always ridiculed me for warning him to be more cautious, but only after he heard that a good friend of our cousin died from it aged 50 and now a co-worker of him (where fortunately he usually has no direct contact, just via phone) got infected and the doctor diagnosed severe lung damage in her case, he seems to have gotten the message.

11 hours ago, trystan said:

"Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has extended an order that bans localities in the state from enforcing mask mandates, seen as one of the simplest and most effective government measures to slow the spread of coronavirus, even as data shows the strain on the state’s health care system continuing to worsen."

I really wonder if they couldn't be accused for manslaughter due to negligence (or even wanton manslaughter).

Edited by Astreya
had to delete a wrong "not"

5 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Reading things this way makes it even scarier.

It did for me, too. When you see numbers in the 1000s it is harder to comprehend. But 65 people dying every hour in this country is easier for me to wrap my mind around.

@purplehaze

It's more than one per minute! That means you type a tiny reply and there's another person who sadly submitted to SARS-CoV2.

-------------

As of today, Saturday, November 28, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 867 (-95) active cases, while 2033 (+149) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2932 (+54)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 140.4 (-7.2).

Currently 89 (-5) persons are treated in hospitals, with 9 (-1) of them in intensive care, 6 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration. 32 persons sadly died. 1418 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 50 722 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

So my GF's cousin (age 30) and dad (age 60) both kinda survived, but their lungs got a really hard hit ...

Her dad and the cousin's wife seem to have gotten away with light cases.

Those were some scary weeks! The worst when there is a case personally *near* you but not physically *touching* you (like, 2000km distance) is the total helplessness - you cannot do *anything* to help, can't even throw a care package at the quarantined people's balcony or somesuch, you cannot go through all the pharmacies yourself to get that prescribed medication that is sold out nearly everywhere there, you can do nothing ...

(On the other hand, that type of distance probably prevented my GF from doing something stupid like giving her infected parents a ride herself ...)

On 11/27/2020 at 11:55 AM, Astreya said:

Well, if you saw the mob in Hildburghausen demonstrating against the anti-covid measures despite a 7-day-incidence of 629.8 (source) you really doubt the common sense of the people on this side of the big pond, too.

Great. I just saw the update of the crisis management group in Oberhausen, and this time we have 5 more deaths. :(

-------------

As of today, Friday, November 27, 16:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 962 (-127) active cases, while 1884 (+191) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2878 (+69)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 147.6 (-+2.9).

Currently 94 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 8 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration. 32 (+5) persons sadly died. 1293 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 50 627 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Germany looks scary in general:

germany.png

Bright red is 50-100, dark red/brown 100-200 and really dark red/brown is > 200. [source]

My own area is dark red, but I'm really glad my father (going on 70) lives in one of the few orange spots (under 50 cases) of our republic. My brother's place is even under 40 cases (the brownish spots).

16 hours ago, Astreya said:

I really wonder if they couldn't be accused for manslaughter due to negligence (or even wanton manslaughter).

i've asked this over on facebook.  we'll see what anyone says.

16 hours ago, Astreya said:

I'm still of the opinion that the police should take the names and addresses of those who wantonly flout the rules, so that they will have to pay the hospital bills from their own purses if they get infected (and not have their health insurances pay everything). I think that would make them reconsider their idiotic protests against measures that are only there to keep them safe and help avoid the hospital staff to get exhausted and the hospitals overwhelmed!

that's a great idea.  but you never know.... some people still might protest. *sigh*

@Ruby Eyes

I really hope that all of the relatives of your GF will manage to recover fully in the end!

@trystan

I'm curious about the replies!

And if people would have to pay, they'd certainly follow orders. The fines for not wearing a mask in certain areas helped, too, after all.

The number of active infections goes down as people are considered "recovered" when 14 days have passed and they are neither dead nor in the hospital. Unfortunately this doesn't actually say whether they are really recovered or still suffering from long-term Covid. I wonder if there will be proper numbers for that, too, someday. Currently there are only estimates of 10-15% in one study, up to 35% in a telephone survey, and up to 87% of the formerly hospitalised patients, which would be quite a number.

-------------

As of today, Sunday, November 29, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 792 (-75) active cases, while 2134 (+101) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2959 (+27)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 143.3 (+2.9).

Currently 91 (+2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (+4) of them in intensive care, 7 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration. 33 (+1) persons sadly died. 1372 persons are currently quarantined.

Edited by Astreya

5 hours ago, Astreya said:

@trystan

I'm curious about the replies!

if i get any replies.  i've gotten a "like" so far.  but facebook's algorithms are weird.  so, we'll see.

@trystan

Thanks!

-------------

As of today, Monday, November 30, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 698 (-94) active cases, while 2249 (+115) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 2980 (+21)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 147.5 (+4.2).

Currently 92 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 5 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration. 33 persons sadly died. 1230 persons are currently quarantined.

Well, looks like currently, the "only" casualty was my GF's pet who was in her parents' care, and couldn't get to the vet in time due to ... covid.

(The pet itself didn't have that virus, he died of a different infection.)

If fate is a person, I sure would like to have a word with them.

And now, holiday planning. All the festive things we will do ...

- NOT tradition #1 (like all those family visits)

- NOT tradition #2 (like crowded holiday shopping)

- MAYBE a modified version of tradition #3 (like singing via online conference?)

- DEFINITELY revive tradition #4 because it can be done all by oneself (like cooking like crazy, except - who would eat it all?)

- IMPLEMENT new tradition #5 (like freezing everything you cooked like crazy so that you can eat all through January as if it was still holiday)

How's it looking like for you?

@Astreya- I've gotten one answer... and it's from one of my online friends from Canada.  she says:

"I'm guessing: that depends. Usually legislators are personally protected from lawsuits/criminal acts arising out of regulations, but can the state be sued? It would be very hard to prove that this action injured someone.  Would you have got covid if the health department had been fining non-compliant citizens? That is a huge burden of proof on the person bring the suit?"

so.... a big fat "maybe?"

In our country, they plan to reintroduce a full lockdown from January 23 to 15, closing ALL entertainment venues for the new year. It looks like the economy will fall even more, because most of the profits come from the holidays ...

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Chanukah will be with my mom, a brother & family, aunt, & cousins & families... over Zoom.

Xmas will probably be like thanksgiving - me and hubby at home, older daughter with her grandmother (my mother-inlaw), and younger daughter with her boyfriend.

and Ruby, i'm sorry to read about your GF's pet :(

after all the stoopid idjits and their thanksgiving travel in the US, it's kinda scary what the next two weeks will bring....

Edited by trystan

When did mankind become so dependent on constant cashflow? And why does a virus of all things, an entity that cannot even move on its own, manage to bring everything to a grinding halt?

So much for philosophy at month's end ... I wish this year was done with already.

@trystan At least this way it's not all the cooking and cleaning on a single household's shoulders :D That sounds like a large family you have!

Edited by Ruby Eyes

@Ruby Eyes - compared to my hubby, i have a small family.  i have two brothers, five first cousins... and everyone's married with kids.  my husband has 25 cousins on his dad's side, they're all married with kids, and he probably hasn't even met MOST of them! i met a few at our wedding... but that was 26 years ago! 😮 he has a few cousins on his mom's side, and i've met three of them (i think three. i know two, they're married with kids also.)

15 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

As the family here consists of exactly 6 people (from 4 households XD) and my Dad insists on us all meeting for XMas (I absolutely hate XMas, by the way as, I can't stand the Christmas singing which my Dads insist we have to do as he wants to torture everybody by accompanying the songs with his harmonica, plus I left the Church as I don't believe in religion, and I'm not big in family meetings anyway), we will probably flout the local corona rules of a maximum of 5 persons being allowed to meet (actually I would prefer to stay at home, but my Dad is a bit choleric and I don't want to cause him a heart attack by telling him I won't come). I just hope I can leave just after dinner and don't have to hang around for longer. Hm. I could tell them that singing and playing music is a no-go because of the virus anyway, then I could be spared at least that...

13 hours ago, trystan said:

Thanks for looking into it. Just a pity that one can't really hold such idiots accountable. It's the same when they waste millions or more Euros, too. (Transport Minister Andreas Scheuer, I'm looking at you!)

Oh, and that's quite an extended family you have there!

13 hours ago, Red_Snake said:

In our country, they plan to reintroduce a full lockdown from January 23 to 15, closing ALL entertainment venues for the new year. It looks like the economy will fall even more, because most of the profits come from the holidays ...

It appears as if they already factor in the XMas super spreader event, doesn't it?

13 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

When did mankind become so dependent on constant cashflow?

Ever since bartering got out of fashion, I guess.

As for the virus - why should it need to move around when humans do all the work for it? Clever little bugger, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Astreya said:
13 hours ago, trystan said:

Thanks for looking into it. Just a pity that one can't really hold such idiots accountable. It's the same when they waste millions or more Euros, too. (Transport Minister Andreas Scheuer, I'm looking at you!)

Oh, and that's quite an extended family you have there!

you're welcome

what's funny is some of my posts get lots of reactions and comments, and some of them get absolutely nothing.  facebook's algorithm is definitely weird.

yep - most of the extension is on hubby's side, and there are more of his relatives that we haven't met.

hubby's had on MSNBC tonight, and one of the hosts did put the covid deaths in perspective the same way purplehaze did the other day - one American death per minute.  also, there's 96,000 americans in hospital right now - i can't even fathom that.

18 hours ago, Astreya said:

It appears as if they already factor in the XMas super spreader event, doesn't it?

At first sight, they are trying to stop the spread, but I remember that corona factor didn't stop them from holding elections and celebrating the city's day on September 2...

The number of Covid19 patients in the hospitals is continuously rising here, too. The difference is to the Tuesday numbers which I forgot to post, but are on the website of my city.

-------------

As of today, Wednesday, December 2, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 647 (+14) active cases, while 2384 (+34) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 3066 (+48)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 135.2 (+-0).

Currently 100 (+11) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (-3) of them in intensive care, 5 (-5) of these needing artificial respiration. 35 persons sadly died. 1203 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 56 372 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Sadly the number of infections is still markedly increasing and thus more people are dying here now, too :(

-------------

As of today, Thursday, December 3, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 592 (-55) active cases, while 2517 (+133) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 3147 (+81)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 133.3 (-1.9).

Currently 108 (+8) persons are treated in hospitals, with 6 (-4) of them in intensive care, 5 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration. 38 (+3) persons sadly died. 1152 persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 56 559 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Edited by Astreya

My sister (Lady of B'Sini) was hospitalized about 10 days ago for infections in her feet. She first thought it was a gout attack so didn't go to the Dr as soon as she should have. The facility she is in has 1 visitor per patient per day between 10am and noon, but they now have patient/s with Covid, so no visits til everyone is tested and test results come back. She has so many health issues it is REALLY scary for the family. We have all been so careful all this year and now....

@RainDear I hope your sister will be okay.

I just found out that someone I knew in high school died of Covid-19. I had not seen him in many years because we both moved away. Still...

@RainDear I hope your sister will be fine and soon you will be allowed to visit her😭

Our Minister of Health is broken again and contradicts himself about the lockdown. Meanwhile there are +15131 cases in the country and +1211 in my city.

Edited by Red_Snake

I hope everyone above is safe and sound!

In Germany our "part lockdown" doesn't help at all it seems. Of course people crows the shops (or the areas before the shops while they wait to be let in) to do XMas shopping even though officially there are limits about how many should be allowed. That this leads to more spread of the virus should be clear, but of course people think they are immune and the virus won't get them.

Meanwhile there are three more persons who submitted to Covid in my hometown, which mean

-------------

As of today, Friday, December 4, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 618 (+26) active cases, while 2551(+34) people are considered to have recovered. 1233 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3210 (+63)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 140.0 (+6.7).

Currently 107 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 8 (+2) of them in intensive care, 7 (+2) of these needing artificial respiration. 41 (+3) persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 56 559 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-------------

As of today, Saturday, December 5, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 612 (-6) active cases, while 2639 (+88) people are considered to have recovered. 1180 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3296 (+86)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 158.0 (+18.0).

Currently 114 (+7) persons are treated in hospitals, with 12 (+4) of them in intensive care, 7 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration. 45 (+4) persons sadly died.

All in all there have been 56 868 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-------------

As of today, Sunday, December 6, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 606 (-6) active cases, while 2687 (+48.) people are considered to have recovered. 1147 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3338 (+42)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 164.2 (+6.2).

Currently 117 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (-2) of them in intensive care, 5 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration. 45 persons sadly died.

-------------

As of today, Monday, December 7, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 552 (-54) active cases, while 2767 (+80) people are considered to have recovered. 1095 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 3367 (+29)  people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 172.2 (+8.0).

Currently 117 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 7 (+2) of these needing artificial respiration. 48 (+3) persons sadly died.

Edited by Astreya

On 12/3/2020 at 10:34 AM, RainDear said:

My sister (Lady of B'Sini) was hospitalized about 10 days ago for infections in her feet. She first thought it was a gout attack so didn't go to the Dr as soon as she should have. The facility she is in has 1 visitor per patient per day between 10am and noon, but they now have patient/s with Covid, so no visits til everyone is tested and test results come back. She has so many health issues it is REALLY scary for the family. We have all been so careful all this year and now....

Thank you Purplehaze and Red_Snake for your good wishes for her.

My opinion, just my opinion, not intending to speak for anyone else.

Saturday her test results came back positive.

At 2:00am my time (PST) my nephew called to tell us she had been moved to a larger better equipped hospital, and put on a ventilator. Shortly after that he called again to say the doctor says her lungs are in bad shape (from her X-Rays). He really doesn't expect a good outcome.

Well it's 3:30am here now and I can't sleep so...

I'm not really sure how well I can explain what I want to say here, so bear with me. In 1982 I flipped a Pinto upside down on the freeway. I remember thinking, "Oh, so this is how I am going to die." I remember the feeling of complete peace that came over me.I was very surprised when it was over that my only injury was a slight concussion, but that feeling of peace stays with me.

I am wondering right now whether with Covid and visits being impossible how often the absence of our loved ones by our side contributes to people just giving up the fight and letting go, because their anchors to this life aren't there to hold them here. 

The doctor just called to ask who has her Power of Attorney.

If you believe, please pray - pray not just for her to live - pray instead for the outcome that is best for her - whatever that may be. If you don't believe, please just send loving thoughts her way.