Starbit

Prevent Items in Trade from Gaining Views

It's a fact that things in the trading hub are getting sick, whether through malicious viewbombing or just higher traffic. Especially as eggs cannot be stunned to prevent gaining views, and cannot be warded without cancelling the trade, or fogged.

The easiest solution as far as I can see is to limit or entirely prevent items in trade from gaining views. Limiting may be a better option to stop Stun from becoming slightly redundant, perhaps putting a cap on how many views a trade egg can gain within 24 hours or something. Or maybe lower the uv:v ratio for things in trade. Or a similar BSA to Stun for eggs. 

Regardless, something needs to be done so people can use the trade hub without worrying about things being targeted. This wouldn't prevent scrolls from being attacked which is the main downside. 

I don't think stopping eggs/hatchlings from gaining views while they're in a trade or transfer would make Stun obsolete, as Stun prevents hatchlings from growing up so it's still useful for gendered hatchlings as views don't really affect them anymore. But in any case, I support this.

Sounds good, but people might use this and throw all their eggs in the trade hub so they don't get sick.

I see how this could be abused, but I also agree that something should be done. I'm tired of having to take down trades because the egg suddenly gets sick when tons of people look at it or decide to add it to a hatchery. My scroll is hidden, but they can still see the code. I would say remove the name of the scroll (for those who don't hide theirs) and hide the code, but lots of people want to see the code. I say make them immune to sickness for the first 24 hours in the trade. Most trades don't stay up that long anyway, and it would prevent the initial viewbombing from killing your egg. When the person accepts the trade, it wears off and the egg can get sick, but it's now 24 hours olders so it might not, or it might and it will recover easier.

Abuse should be minimal, though. Because it's easier to fog an egg than to put it into a teleport.

Here's a way around some of the issues - don't allow views on items in trade - but also stop the timer on them till the trade completes. That way there'd be much less advantage in catching loads and stashing them in teleports.

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Here's a way around some of the issues - don't allow views on items in trade - but also stop the timer on them till the trade completes. That way there'd be much less advantage in catching loads and stashing them in teleports.

Only thing that would do is people catching rares and hoarding them in a non growing state for trades. Or think how valuable a holiday dragon egg would become if you still had a seven day egg a month after.

Just not getting views at all in teleport would solve both: trades would not get sick and people couldn't just hoard magis and never pay attention to their scroll. They'd have to be taken out of teleport to grow.

But that would also allow the possibility for hoarding. OK how about the time stops long with view - but if the thing gets down to its usual ToD, it dies anyway. So if you had that holiday egg in a teleport and it was there for 7 days - it wouldn't survive the trade, even though the timer had stopped ?.

19 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But that would also allow the possibility for hoarding. OK how about the time stops long with view - but if the thing gets down to its usual ToD, it dies anyway. So if you had that holiday egg in a teleport and it was there for 7 days - it wouldn't survive the trade, even though the timer had stopped ?.

Not sure what the difference between no views in teleport vs. fogging until er to prevent views is supposed to be?  We CAN already hoard stuff that long, you just can't try to trade because someone else might post it somewhere. 

I just had an egg on my scroll for nearly the full two weeks waiting on someone to pick up the trade. It was a private trade do it didn't get posted, when it got down to less than a day l put in hatchries, fogged as soon as it hatched and removed it then let sit till four days then stunned it just in case.otjer than more steps, how is that different from what you are apparently afraid people will do?

Hoarding is not a thing remember.

If it has to be taken out to get ANY views, it's no different than a mass fog. 

Edited by DragonLady86

I meant hoarding rares as eggs to trade later - as you mentioned. That has to be impossible. Sure one can fog with private trades, but not in the hub.

you said not getting views while in teleport would somehow allow for more hoarding thus it was a bad suggestion.  I don't understand this statement.  It's certainly not going to allow people to catch/save more rares than they already do?

I was referring to where you said:

Or think how valuable a holiday dragon egg would become if you still had a seven day egg a month after.

That has to be made impossible. Sure any egg in teleport still counts against your limits and the rest - but imagine what you could get for a CB Christmas in August for someone who did stop and think hang on, I can get one when Christmas rolls around again.......

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

BUT!

Wouldn't said egg still occupy a slot on their scroll? I have a hard time believing anyone would WANT to keep an egg around a whole month after a holiday, to use the example given, and occupying valuable space on their scroll. AND if they are willing to pay that price, maybe that is the trade-off? I don't see it as a problem, even. *Shrugs* maybe just me, tho. If someone WANTS to hang onto an egg for an unreasonable amount of time to attempt the perfect trade? I don't see the issue with it. As I said, PROVIDED that eggie in a  trade still occupies a slot. They might not EVEN get what hey are hoping for it. Personally, I wouldn't PAY the price someone in August would be asking for a CB Holiday. Especially not knowing that there is a very good chance that they will drop again when the holidays role around again.

Edited by JavaTigress

Yes it WOULD still take a slot on their scroll. But honest people who are looking to trade without their trades being bombed wouldn't mind that.

You're right though - it can't be that huge a problem. So as I said in the first place, before I tried to work this out ! - just stop the timer AND the views on things in trade.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Yes it WOULD still take a slot on their scroll. But honest people who are looking to trade without their trades being bombed wouldn't mind that.

You're right though - it can't be that huge a problem. So as I said in the first place, before I tried to work this out ! - just stop the timer AND the views on things in trade.

Yes, I can agree... people's dragons getting bombed while in trade is a far more troublesome problem than possible hoarding of eggs and stashing them with the timer off.

12 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I was referring to where you said:

That has to be made impossible. Sure any egg in teleport still counts against your limits and the rest - but imagine what you could get for a CB Christmas in August for someone who did stop and think hang on, I can get one when Christmas rolls around again.......

This is why stopping the timer is bad.  but stopping views only doesn't really do anything we can't do now except allow people to trade without worry and is simpler.  Isnt simple the best way to go?

Stopping views IS bad as it would allow people to stack eggs in teleports JUST to prevent their getting sick. AS someone said way up the thread. But as someone else just said - if you are mad enough to tie up a slot for 6 months - well, your choice.... Yes, good for multiscrollers - but they always find ways around everything anyway.

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Stopping views IS bad as it would allow people to stack eggs in teleports JUST to prevent their getting sick. AS someone said way up the thread. But as someone else just said - if you are mad enough to tie up a slot for 6 months - well, your choice.... Yes, good for multiscrollers - but they always find ways around everything anyway.

but if they wont grow because they get ZERO views what good is that going to do them? As I said, it's the same as fogging except you can still trade.  I really do not understand why everyone thinks this is bad.  We can literally already do this minus public trading.  Just think besides getting sick how many trades won't get broken because an egg hatched or that hatchy finely dropped low enough to grow up?

I dont think anyone would put their eggs into trades just to not get views - it's the same as fogging but with more steps and potential annoying notifications. And even if they did... okay? Yay? Lol. It doesn't really abuse a no-view mechanic because we already have one. It would just make trading anti-viewbomb-proof.

I'm all for this idea (with being in trade NOT pausing the timer) because any and all viewbomb-abuseable mechanics may be removed in my opinion :)

2 minutes ago, Cinspawn said:

I dont think anyone would put their eggs into trades just to not get views - it's the same as fogging but with more steps and potential annoying notifications. And even if they did... okay? Yay? Lol. It doesn't really abuse a no-view mechanic because we already have one. It would just make trading anti-viewbomb-proof.

I'm all for this idea (with being in trade NOT pausing the timer) because any and all viewbomb-abuseable mechanics may be removed in my opinion :)

exactly.  Thank you. 

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Well, there already is a feature that allows us to prevent eggs from gaining views. It's called hide, aka "fog". So there's nothing to be gained by putting up everything in teleport because a view-stopping feature already exists. (Plus, hiding is easier done than putting up teleports.)

On the other hand, stopping the timer for eggs in teleports is bad. Like really bad. You could trade out-of-season seasonals as well as out-of-season holidays and so on. So, stopping the timer is a pandora's box I don't want to see opened. (Which, btw, was actually your own idea...)

What is there abusable about preventing trades from gaining views? Presumably you'd still have to cancel to get views for it to grow, and if it's far too sick it'd die anyway, same as fog. And if people want to "abuse" a BSA action instead of using the free and easy single-click method of fogging straight from the scroll versus the multiple clicks and pages plus password for teleports, why not? It would actually allow people to display the growing things they have freely for once, instead of having a scroll full of fog sprites for 5 days, not to mention that fresh-caught dragons still have to be fogged and can't use a hypothetical safety teleport, so it'd be even easier to leave it in fog if it's not intended to be traded. A safe trade mechanism would still make people have to interact with the game every few days to allow growing, just like fog or hide scroll does.

13 minutes ago, olympe said:

Well, there already is a feature that allows us to prevent eggs from gaining views. It's called hide, aka "fog". So there's nothing to be gained by putting up everything in teleport because a view-stopping feature already exists. (Plus, hiding is easier done than putting up teleports.)

On the other hand, stopping the timer for eggs in teleports is bad. Like really bad. You could trade out-of-season seasonals as well as out-of-season holidays and so on. So, stopping the timer is a pandora's box I don't want to see opened. (Which, btw, was actually your own idea...)

It was indeed my idea and I have repented. But you cannot fog things in trade - and this suggestion was all about eggs/hatchies in trade.

And the inability to fog things in trade is the major problem we all have with trades. Having a protection for things in trade that stops items in teleports from gaining view would alleviate that problem just like the other idea of allowing things in teleports to be fogged. However, there's no point of abusing the feature to save your eggs from getting killed by viewbombers by putting them in teleports for that exact purpose because you can already protect your eggs by fogging. In other words: There's no potential for abuse here.