Starbit

Prevent Items in Trade from Gaining Views

Exactly - so stop views when in a teleport. I did come around to that... ;)

I wouldn't support this as a default thing, because it would 1. confuse newer players, 2. prevent ND bouncing, and 3. be generally inconvenient for those who don't want their things to not gain views. If it was, say, a checkbox when setting up the trade or something I could get behind it. I much prefer the BSA suggestion that just cropped up.

Not sure I get the first point. More confusing than "Why did my eggs die?" "I even fogged them" honestly, I would take either, but I would rather not have to have a bsa just to use a bsa.   

IDK, could the site be coded to only block views in public trades?  They are the ones with the issue but I know nothing of coding, it might as well be magic lol

A BSA to stop views when something is in teleport seems the best answer, to be honest. Something like stun, but for eggs. 

After reading through both this and the linked BSA thread, I'm bumping this one because the ability to 100% prevent views for the duration of the time I have a dragon in trade would be a massive help when some jerk(s) keeps shoving my stuff in hatcheries ensuring that it hatches or matures the second it gets down that far in time.  Really puts a damper on trying to trade stuff if your trades keep getting wrecked by that.  😕  Also it's 100% ridiculous to force people to hoard two different BSA dragons just to perform one action--that is, trade--without other players being able to interfere.  A BSA is 100% completely worthless to solve the problem I'm running into, meanwhile something that pauses all view obtainment would definitely fix it.

The risk (I don't CARE that much.... but it might be something TJ wouldn't want to see) is that people would use it to get around sickness and so on.... Put it in a teleport and it's safe for a while.

But if it were to happen - I think it should only be for public trades. That's where the problem is.

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The risk (I don't CARE that much.... but it might be something TJ wouldn't want to see) is that people would use it to get around sickness and so on.... Put it in a teleport and it's safe for a while.

But if it were to happen - I think it should only be for public trades. That's where the problem is.

Every single argument I've seen about that also applies to fogging, IMO.

I'd be fine with it just being for public trades--or, heck, offer a brand new trade category: "protected trades" which can be either public or private but pause views.  That way people who don't mind or want to continue obtaining views while they have something up for trade can do so and those who are finding themselves being viewbombed or having their trades spoiled have a safer option.

27 minutes ago, KageSora said:

or, heck, offer a brand new trade category: "protected trades"

I like this idea the most out of any of them. I feel as though it may need something like a "protected teleport" BSA or paying a shard or something to a dragon that would protect that trade.

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I think it would be fine if it acted the exact same way as fogging; putting it in a trade stops views, same as fogging, but if it's already sick it wouldn't be immune to death.

4 hours ago, Ripple_Tiger said:

I like this idea the most out of any of them. I feel as though it may need something like a "protected teleport" BSA or paying a shard or something to a dragon that would protect that trade.

There's a BSA suggestion linked a few posts up, however I decided to bump this post not that one because I dislike the idea of telling users who are already the victims of bad behavior from other users that they need to either pay the shards they may be saving for something specific or collect an entirely different BSA dragon in order to protect themselves.

I could, however, get behind splitting the Magi BSA into two separate instances--"Unprotected Teleport" and "Protected Teleport", or however they ended up named.  It wouldn't exactly be the first time a breed had a variable BSA--the 2015 Holiday (Aegis) dragons already have a BSA that changes depending on which form they're in.  It would, however, be the first time that you'd have two different BSA options at once.  But that would be useful in that it would let users pick what works best for their situation while not punishing users who are already victims by forcing them to jump through extra hoops to keep themselves safe.

4 hours ago, SkyWolf25 said:

I think it would be fine if it acted the exact same way as fogging; putting it in a trade stops views, same as fogging, but if it's already sick it wouldn't be immune to death.

Yeah, it should basically be fogging except potential trade partners can still see what they would be offering on.

Edited by KageSora

The teleport BSA already has several options: whether it's one way, two way, and if two way, public or not public. So I don't think it having a stop views or not option would be too much of a shift.

In any case, I support this request. Viewbombing others' eggs is against site rules and more measures to protect users against it is a good thing in my opinion, trades should be a place where you worry about finding the trade option you want not whether someone will bomb your egg to death.

9 hours ago, KageSora said:

Every single argument I've seen about that also applies to fogging, IMO.

I guess the only difference is that fogging obviously doesn't allow you to trade stuff at the same time. If you want a hatchling to not gain views for 2 days but also want to keep trying to trade it, you have to use a Bolt stun it. If you want an egg not to get sick, you fog it, but can't also trade it at the same time. There's a trade-off there either way, which seems intended.

That being said, I definitely agree that there is a problem with people viewbombing things in trades, so hopefully TJ might be willing to consider a suggestion like this. Having both protected and unprotected teleports would be ideal imo, because sometimes I do want to keep giving something views while I try to trade it, to make it hatch faster and unlock myself for example. It would be a bit disappointing to take a way an existing functionality to solve another issue. 

15 minutes ago, MissK. said:

I guess the only difference is that fogging obviously doesn't allow you to trade stuff at the same time. If you want a hatchling to not gain views for 2 days but also want to keep trying to trade it, you have to use a Bolt stun it. If you want an egg not to get sick, you fog it, but can't also trade it at the same time. There's a trade-off there either way, which seems intended.

That's pretty much the only difference--but, honestly, it seems like a lousy trade off if OTHER players misbehaving locks YOU out of an entire segment of the game that you can now not safely access and the only way to protect yourself from their nonsense is to...  Not make use of trading.

17 hours ago, KageSora said:

I'd be fine with it just being for public trades--or, heck, offer a brand new trade category: "protected trades" which can be either public or private but pause views.  That way people who don't mind or want to continue obtaining views while they have something up for trade can do so and those who are finding themselves being viewbombed or having their trades spoiled have a safer option.

I support the hell out of this. Adding a fourth category - public protected trade - really doesn't have any negative layout impact that I can see, and (taken with a grain of salt because I know nothing about coding) it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to code in. The most complicated part would probably be instituting the actual pause on views while in a protected trade, at least that's what I'd guess.

That said, it's absolutely appalling that use of community functionality - trading (which is, now, an essential part of collecting a good chunk of what we have available to us) - so easily and frequently leads to a complete loss of the whole point of that functionality. If we can't trade safely (and we can't, there is always a huge risk associated in putting up public trades, which is why so many people show what they're offering with screenshots on the forums rather than direct links) then we can't trade.

Edit to add: upon further reflection on this post, it does strike me as odd that in a game so heavily reliant on community interaction - bloodswapping, shared collection of certain lineages, the ap, acquisition of several breed variants, and (critically) the complete reliance on community made and managed hatchery sites to even be able to collect - there is so little actual structure in place to prevent system abuse like view bombing. If you have any - ANY - babies that are valuable to you, whether by virtue of rarity or lineage or irreplaceable sentimental attachment, they are, essentially at all times until grown, vulnerable to even a single other user deciding that today is the day they screw up your scroll. Hiding your scroll and fogging your babies minimises that risk, and ward is something I'm grateful we have, but it doesn't eliminate that risk entirely. If you get busy for a couple days for whatever reason and your scroll is targeted, it's just heck for those babies. You can't simply leave everything fogged, because as mentioned a lot here, that prevents dragons from gaining any views at all, and that's also a death sentence if left for too long.

And view bombing is done completely anonymously! There's zero way to trace who did it and zero accountability. I honestly don't have any good suggestions as to what can be done about it without completely overhauling the whole system, which is neither practical nor reasonable, but it's still incredibly frustrating how easy it is to ruin this game for other people for no reason and with essentially zero consequences.

Edited by StarlightLion

I've thought for a while that this would be really useful, because I've had things grow up while on trade links before and it's so frustrating - to me, and probably also to the person whose offer I was about to accept!

I'd be fine if it was only a feature of 2-way trades, or if it applied to all forms of Teleport; I really don't see any difference in gameplay, practically speaking, between somebody sticking their dragon in a Transfer link for a few hours and somebody fogging or stunning it.  Though I guess technically it would "get around" the automatic time bracket for Stunning, that's already an option with fogging, so I don't see where it would be a huge divergence from gameplay as we already have it.

Full support for OP's suggestion.

I still believe removing sickness entirely is the best solution to view bombing (because no, there is no gameplay or skill to fogging eggs until they can hatch), but TJ seems unreasonable about that so. I support this.

Edited by Skadi

Supporting this as well

Posted (edited)

Has nobody mentioned the combination of (1) enabling teleporting of a fogged egg / hatchling and fogging of a teleported egg, and (2) making it visible (as they already are to their owners, currently) as long as it is in a listed public trade?

Obviously, that creates the odd corner situation where it's not visible in a regular 2-way, but in that situation, if the users can communicate they'd probably figure out what it is, and if they can't communicate, it's just a surprise egg.

Edited by Melas

2 hours ago, Melas said:

Has nobody mentioned the combination of (1) enabling teleporting of a fogged egg / hatchling and fogging of a teleported egg, and (2) making its lineage visible (as they already are to their owners, currently) as long as it is in a listed public trade?

Obviously, that creates the odd corner situation where it's not visible in a regular 2-way, but in that situation, if the users can communicate they'd probably figure out what it is, and if they can't communicate, it's just a surprise egg.

An interesting idea, but you would also have to have the view page visible to see the description, not just the lineage. Otherwise (unless it's a holiday pair) it could be the opposite breed of what is being advertised. Say, you could be scammed by being told something is a 2g prize, but it's a fogged common prizekin instead. 

42 minutes ago, MissK. said:

An interesting idea, but you would also have to have the view page visible to see the description, not just the lineage. Otherwise (unless it's a holiday pair) it could be the opposite breed of what is being advertised. Say, you could be scammed by being told something is a 2g prize, but it's a fogged common prizekin instead. 

yep, I forgot about that! though I was thinking over how to make the difference more visible, maybe a note on the page + css greyscale filter?

I think fogging in general would be an issue, as you want public trades to be browsable, without having to click on every trade that is fogged to see what it is.

I’d rather want the egg to not gain views whilst on a trade by default.

I'm going to say if it's a "by default" situation with no way to change to gain views I will not support it. I prefer to let my dragons gain view and am fine with my dragons hatching or growing up on me while I have them up for trade. IF this is a choice or a protected trade fourth option though I can't see why not, can be useful to many people who do care