Rhikasa

ANSWERED:Golden Wyverns

I guess I'll get straight to the point: are golden wyverns rare?

I've looked at the Wiki and they're classified as rare. However, when I look at trading forums like the Rare Trading Bazaar, they don't seem to list golden wyverns. I keep trying to sell my pureblood and nice lineage golden wyverns on trading forums and public trades, but no one ever makes offers on them and it's kind of upsetting to me that no one wants to trade. 

Do people not want them because they aren't considered to be rare, or is there another reason? I'm honestly at a loss.

The Wiki isn't run by anyone on DC staff that would call a dragon rare or not.  It has its usefulness, but it's not infallible.

From observation, they are not as rare as other dragon types, like Golds and Silvers, but they are still uncommon enough to get interesting things for sometimes.

The Rare Trading Bazaar doesn't have metals like golden wyvern because there is a Metallic Trade Center for those breeds (gold, silver, copper, golden wyvern).  Prizes have their own thread Prize Central.  The Rare Trading Bazaar was added in to give people a place for rares that don't fit in those categories and so those trades don't get lost in the every thing goes thread A Dragon Trading Thread.

As to your query about trading, Question about a Trade is a good place to check current market values.  Golden Wyvern have been out long enough that many people have already gotten what they wanted of them.  I can't tell you really on current market as I don't keep that close a track.  I've been here long enough to see things considered rare when I started (blacks and stripes) to be only worth catching if I want one to keep.

Golden Wyverns are definitely not as rare as their name would suggest, if you think of 'golden' as on par with the actual Gold dragon. They do seem to be hard to trade sometimes, probably because they are much easier to get then most 'rares'. I see them sit in the biomes for a good minute or two before being picked up.

The wiki (much as I love it) calls Balloons common. Nuf Ced, say the people I know who are looking for them !

Gwyverns aren't really Rares imo. They are probably top tier uncommons, but definately not rare. That said, if you are going to trade for them on the Metallic Trade Center, keep in mind they will be the lower or second lowest tier of rarity there, so don't expect to get a Gold or Silver from them, unless you give out multiple GW with a nice lineage.

On public trades its kind of hard to recieve offers it seems to me, people will rarely look at something other than a Prize or Gold and Silver dragons in my experience. Maybe it would be best to seek the people who might have the dragons/lineages you are looking for and contact them offering what you can breed? That an option, though not everyone is willing to hold up a dragon for others based solely on their word, but you can always try.

Now if you plan to have these lineages you have as a sort of "exchange coin" to get other eggs and don't want to flood yourself with untraded eggs/hatchlings, I'd suggest creating a list, a page or a thread (though I'm not sure it is allowed really, take this one with a grain of salt) showing off the lineages you can breed and provide it as a link on your signature, that way if people are interested in what you offer they can contact you and you won't be breeding eggs just to keep them.

They used to be considered tradeable when they first came out, but that probably means everyone who wanted one has gotten more than enough of them already so only newbies and golden wyvern collecters will want them now. The same thing happened to almandine and spessartine pyralspites: they're called rare on the wiki, but now are really just uncommons, and frankly aeons are harder to catch and breed than those "rares" despite being called uncommons. Bred dragons also are usually harder to trade than caveborn dragons so that's part of the issue too. BSA dragons like Trios don't have as much of a problem because GoNs are still hard to get, but they're still also worth much less than they used to be.

tl;dr new released dragons are more likely to be tradeable than old dragons, bred dragons are hard to trade, and the wiki can be outdated or wrong. There's a trading help thread if you have more questions about what a dragon is worth.

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to this post! Your responses helped me out a lot.

I assumed that golden wyverns might not be as wanted anymore, but I never see them in the cave, so I assumed they were still pretty rare.

Again, thank you all for helping me out with this. :)

~~~

Also, I had no idea there was a metallics trading center. Thank you Dracaena for letting me know that. I looked around everywhere for a trading forum for rare dragons. I knew the Rare Trading Bazaar didn't trade prize dragons, but I didn't see anything about metallics.

Yep, like as many people stated above, the rarity has varied over time.

Some dragons still get taken quickly, so if they don't hang around in the caves for more than a second, that means they're either rare, or sought after.