TJ09

Trading Hub Feedback

Message added by TJ09

Please report all bugs in the Help section. This thread is for discussion and feedback only.

49 minutes ago, olympe said:

The more people ask, the faster it will happen. /sarcasm

Actually, to a point, yes. Although TJ is under no obligation to any of us, a huge number of players asking for a simple enough feature is going to have a lot more effect than just one person mentioning it. So.... Maybe don't be so patronising?

OK:

"we would like to see pagination implemented; could you add it to the list of things that will get done as a top priority, please?" 

BY the way - is there a limit on the number of trades you can have up in the hub ?

17 hours ago, olympe said:

And you really think that people coming in here and asking for pagination to be implemented several times a day will get anything accomplished? TJ will be ready when he is done coding. Not when exactly 42 people have asked within a week. Seriously, the way people come in here and clamor for the same feature (which TJ has already stated he intends to implement) doesn't do anything but make you look like five-year-olds on a road trip asking "Are we there now?" every couple of minutes.

Maybe incessant nagging should be considered spam?

Pagination is not a very complex feature (the scroll has it, and in any case, it's just fetching a subset of data from wherever it's stored, based on a bit of the URL, and adding a few links to different pages). People are describing various usecases for it and showing that there's general support, not just whining uselessly.

Also, an annoyingly common thing now is trades with blank wants, or somewhat deceitful ones like "FREE! Please provide CB hatchling"; should these be reported, or just left alone?

Edited by osmarks

Anyone who wants to gift in the hub has to ask for something in exchange - it doesn't allow one-way trades. Hardly deceitful to put something up as free and ask for a random thing in return when that's all you can do.

And it's best to ask for a hatchie so that you can keep playing and not worry about being egg-locked. No-one has to look at a trade they don't fancy.

As to pagination - we have no idea of the coding behind all this. I wouldn't presume to say what is or isn't complicated. I just want it, as soon as it IS possible, please.

1 hour ago, osmarks said:

Also, an annoyingly common thing now is trades with blank wants, or somewhat deceitful ones like "FREE! Please provide CB hatchling"; should these be reported, or just left alone?

I'd leave them alone. People may not know they have to put something in the want box and they may not understand the definition of free....or maybe just choose not to. It must work if they keep posting.

Imo, don't report these, please. Not agreeing with what someone is asking ≠ breaking the rules.

15 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Anyone who wants to gift in the hub has to ask for something in exchange - it doesn't allow one-way trades. Hardly deceitful to put something up as free and ask for a random thing in return when that's all you can do.

And it's best to ask for a hatchie so that you can keep playing and not worry about being egg-locked. No-one has to look at a trade they don't fancy.

As to pagination - we have no idea of the coding behind all this. I wouldn't presume to say what is or isn't complicated. I just want it, as soon as it IS possible, please.

its probably free to  the  first person who applies for it.

As for the pagination. I would like to see this as well. Sort of like ebay. I can look at whats up and page through the listings, or refine my search. Also I keep finding myself looking for it.

@osmarks  I would n ot report people posting that something is free for a hatchling. The want box is being used for its intended purpose.  I would report people who are using the want box for pointing out: "Asking for something isn't free" or anything that is not associated with the actual trade (abuse includes but is not limited to:(what we've seen) song lyrics, thank yous, black lists, conversations etc. )

Edited by Starscream

As I said already - they ARE free. But you cannot do a one way trade in the hub, so they have to ask for something. What else can they do ? They've got no other way to gift things except on the forum.

Absolutely wild suggestion - maybe if we're gonna have an on-site place to trade, we should have an on-site place to gift, too. On-site community notice board?

1 minute ago, Kaini said:

Absolutely wild suggestion - maybe if we're gonna have an on-site place to trade, we should have an on-site place to gift, too. On-site community notice board?

I keep hoping for a public transfer option. I support this.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

As I said already - they ARE free. But you cannot do a one way trade in the hub, so they have to ask for something. What else can they do ? They've got no other way to gift things except on the forum.

"Free, offer an AP egg" is considered fine by basically everyone.

However, many say "Free, offer a *hatchling*" which isn't the same at all: there's a significant time cost to raising an egg to hatchling status.

10 minutes ago, Starscream said:

I would n ot report people posting that something is free for a hatchling. The want box is being used for its intended purpose.  I would report people who are using the want box for pointing out: "Asking for something isn't free" or anything that is not associated with the actual trade (abuse includes but is not limited to:(what we've seen) song lyrics, thank yous, black lists, conversations etc. )

What counts as a "conversation" though? I've had to repost trades with things like "username, I would like to accept your trade but you are egglocked" and have appreciated when other users post something like "Lucere, the offer I made was precogged female" (when I asked for a female hatchling). I would PM these people directly, but they don't have forum accounts.

3 minutes ago, Lucere said:

What counts as a "conversation" though? I've had to repost trades with things like "username, I would like to accept your trade but you are egglocked" and have appreciated when other users post something like "Lucere, the offer I made was precogged female" (when I asked for a female hatchling). I would PM these people directly, but they don't have forum accounts.

Not a moderator, but I'd consider pretty inoffensive informational stuff like that okay. It gets in the way of other trades, but that's why we need pagination.

It does show that we need a way to send - limited - messages to people who have left trade offers or who you've left offers for.. Just a dropdown of stuff like "I'm egglocked", "I'm waiting for other offers", etc would go a long way.

Edited by osmarks

1 minute ago, Lucere said:

I think they mean like comments about the game or asking users questions like "why did you offer blah?", "The AP is so clogged omg", "lol why is everyone commenting here?", "I like kittens." And the like.

13 minutes ago, Lucere said:

This counts as conversation and falls under spam.

Keep the 'want' section to just that, have/want info. If someone doesn't have a forum account, that's too bad, but leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, Kaini said:

Keep the 'want' section to just that, have/want info. If someone doesn't have a forum account, that's too bad, but leave it at that.

Where would you suggest that important info like that goes, though?

1 minute ago, osmarks said:

Where would you suggest that important info like that goes, though?

Important conversation probably can be held on forums or IRC.

what Kaini said, its too bad if they don't have a forum account - but to use that text box for anything but its intended purpose can have consequences. You can state Want Offers - no eggs as I am egg locked. Or, as I have done. Have G1 Shimmer bronze: Want: 2BC Golds -  providing that it facilitates the trade. "Thanks Kaini - will love the egg" on a want section of a trade is not useful and is spam.

DC chatroom, the forum, etc.

You can say 'It's precog'd female' in your original trade just as info on what you're offering, but reposting new trades just to say 'x you're locked' or chat back and fourth about what is being offered is abusing the feature. So is someone else posting a useless trade that other people can't offer on just to clarify information about their offer (my offer on x is precog'd female, etc). It clutters the hub with trades that are just to chat, and not actual trades.

It's a new feature - all the functionality we'd like to have just isn't there yet, and suggestions on how to make it better are great, but for now it is what it is.

14 minutes ago, Kaini said:

I understand, but I find it incredibly silly that people must have a forum account in order to be able to trade properly. The "misuse of this text" is also very vague, and as you can see above there are others who wouldn't have considered my examples to be considered spam, even though you (and I assume other mods) did. 

If this is the way it needs to be, then shouldn't we have some kind of optional dropdown message thing when declining?

ETA: Also about the "precog female" thing, I was referring to someone who had made an offer on my trade, so there is no way for them to tell me that the hatchling was precogged female. Not everyone is on the forums or on IRC, and forcing people to join the forums just so they can avoid being banned on public trading is ... well, I have no words for that.

Edited by Lucere

If there's going to be any rules about trading they belong on-site, not offsite or in a nebulous void. As official as the forums are they're still very separate from the game itself.

1 minute ago, Shadowdrake said:

If there's going to be any rules about trading they belong on-site, not offsite or in a nebulous void. As official as the forums are they're still very separate from the game itself.

As the feature was new, we were unsure of how it would be used/abused. Since enough time has passed and we can see where things need to be fixed. guidelines will be coming soon.

3 minutes ago, Starscream said:

As the feature was new, we were unsure of how it would be used/abused. Since enough time has passed and we can see where things need to be fixed. guidelines will be coming soon.

And yet we've already seen people be banned from public trading (some of these people may not even have forum accounts). Without a clearly outlined set of rules on the trading hub, banning users from using it seems inappropriate. In addition, if you've now got a set of rules, they should be put onsite, not just on the forums.

Also, if people could submit messages with their offers, it would cut down on "spam". Also, if pagination was a thing, trading hub spam would become much less problematic.

"Free, offer an AP egg" is considered fine by basically everyone.

However, many say "Free, offer a *hatchling*" which isn't the same at all: there's a significant time cost to raising an egg to hatchling status.

It does mean the OP can carry on playing without risking egglock. You don't have to offer if you have no hatchling; or you can catch in the AP and inuhatch...

50 minutes ago, Starscream said:

Important conversation probably can be held on forums or IRC.

what Kaini said, its too bad if they don't have a forum account - but to use that text box for anything but its intended purpose can have consequences. You can state Want Offers - no eggs as I am egg locked. Or, as I have done. Have G1 Shimmer bronze: Want: 2BC Golds -  providing that it facilitates the trade. "Thanks Kaini - will love the egg" on a want section of a trade is not useful and is spam.

Agree 100%

46 minutes ago, Lucere said:

and forcing people to join the forums just so they can avoid being banned on public trading is ... well, I have no words for that.

That's not quite the case - you need to join the forum to message about trades - but - so some trades can't work between some players. It isn't the end of the world.

29 minutes ago, Lucere said:

Also, if people could submit messages with their offers, it would cut down on "spam". Also, if pagination was a thing, trading hub spam would become much less problematic.

As long as it was restricted to 3-4 words - like "precogged female". Yes I do mean 3-4 words.