Jedi40

Trouble removing egg

It would demonstrate once and for all that the password itself isn't the issue.

I have tried to recover it all the time and it still won't let me on my scroll no matter what I do.

No it never showed up at all and I never get the window that tells me that it has been sent either.

I'm sending you a PM with the email address associated with your account in case you have more than one.

What happens if you try to log into your scroll right now?

I only have the one address for my scroll and a different one for the forums and I know the password for my scroll is the right one and I won't try a reset after all this time as it won't work for my scroll now. 

I have tried that as well and it won't let me on that one either.

Have you cleared your cache and cookies? I know I'm bad about doing that and I start to get issues if I don't keep up on it.

Yes i have done that as well and i still can't get onto my scroll.

Have you tried sending Lady L your password so she can test ?

I am not going to send my password to someone even a mod that I don't know of and I don't know anyone else that can try it for me as I have said since the start of this thread.

Then you are stuck. As Lady Lyzar said, we have all tried so hard to give you ideas to sort this out; you won't try any of them, and so there is nothing anyone can do for you. YOU have to do something. The problem is on your computer. You seem to find that impossible to accept - even though I havejust shown you the example of someone else this happened to, and it WAS malware, not picked up by her AV. Sorry but basically you are on your own. I am genuinely sorry you won't be able to play any more, which was why I offered to log on to see if your password was still valid - but the remedy is in your own hands.

I have tired all of them but I am not going to DL something to my PC I never heard of nor will I ever do it.

Then, as you've been told - you are probably permanently locked out. And as Lady Lyzar has said - this thread is pointless.

Then can someone lock it for me since I can't do it as I am not the owner nor am I a mod.

Edited by Jedi40

Can I just gently ask where you heard about the antivirus that you are using? I believe you said it came loaded on your computer. But had you ever heard of it before? Had anyone recommended it to you? You have had a lot of concerned people here recommending different antivirus/antimalware programs to you, but you don't trust that. Is there a source you would trust to go and look those up and see what they say? Otherwise I don't know how you are ever going to get out of the bind of "never heard of it." :(

That is a good point purplehaze and you gave me a thought - there are a lot of FAKE AV programs that pretend to be the real thing but actually bring in more malware.

@Jedi40 what malware protection program are you using?

Edited by LadyLyzar

I have to say that the person I mentioned on another forum uses McAfee - fairly well known - and it hadn't picked this thing up. Quite often AV programmes don't pick up browser issues.

Jedi is only using one AV programme, according to past posts. They aren't that great on malware - any of them.

One more question. (I'm ignoring the malware issue here because the only clear information we've been given is that DC says the password doesn't work. The thing that says "download something" might just as well be an ad.)

@Jedi40 Does your password contain a special character that is not in the normal English alphabet? Something like ä, ö, ü, or the German sz?

(You only need to read the following if the answer is yes. Otherwise just ignore it; the issue is complicated enough already.)

I had one of them in my password a few years ago, and suddenly my password didn't work anymore. I was still logged in though (and no one else uses my computer), so no one could have changed it.

Another person on the forums had the exact same problem at the same time, and they confirmed they also had one of those characters in their password.

I'm not sure if we ever got a confirmation from TJ, but the only explication I could think of was that something changed in the way DC encrypts passwords. DC does not store the actual password, but an encrypted version of it, and when you type in your password, DC takes what you typed, encrypts it in the same way, and compares the result to what is stored in the database.

If there was a change to that encryption process that affected the special characters (used by very few users), then those users' passwords suddenly did not match the ones in the database anymore even though they were not actually changed.

It's not very likely that the same thing happened again, and I'm not 100% sure that was what happened then anyway - but it would explain why your password suddenly stopped working while you were still logged in.

The solution was: request a new password using the password recovery feature. (Afterwards I changed my password to something without "exotic" characters to avoid future problems.)

Unfortunately this does not solve your problem because 1. the password recovery page currently doesn't work for you and 2. you don't want to use it anyway because it would change your password.

(You'd have to find a way to fix the first problem and then change your mind on second one, but I'm afraid both those problems seem very hard to solve.)

That doesn't account for the popup asking her to download something. I am sure dc is not supposed to show ads when we enter our passwords. - though an adblocker would fix that, I imagine.

The popup is what happened to my friend on another forum. And she did find some hijacker thing using malwarebytes. But it's a brilliant thought, cat. Let's hope.

Lock this thread please since I can no longer get onto my scroll any more and can't and won't DL anything to my PC I have never heard of before and never will LD something to my PC I never heard of before and never will.

Please tell us what antivirus you use ?

And please find another device to use, so that you can still play.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I don't know what the AV is as it just came with the PC I had since last year 
And as I have said there is no other device I can use my PW on with so please lock this thread for me as I can't get onto my scroll. 

Edited by Jedi40

I don't know when my post will even show up, but-

Seriously? You ask for help then refuse to do anything anyone tells you. The antivirus that comes with your computer is most likely not up for the task. They never are. In fact, they often expire. Download Malwarebytes. It's free, it's very useful, and it gets the job done. Don't be stubborn. Or, try a different web browser. Anything, It's not a DC issue.