Jedi40

Trouble removing egg

57 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

You WILL have explorer on your machine. Everyone does. It's part of Windows.

Errrr..... If you've got windows 10, at least in Europe, it doesn't come automatically installed. European law forbids it. You have to chose which browser you want to have installed. Microsoft isn't allowed to pre-install it anymore in Europe. Not exactly sure which law it is, but I kn ow it was big news when it was implements here in Europe. :)

BTW, it is possible a bad connection has formed between the user and the database. It happens sometimes. That is one of the specific things one user can run into that others don't, but usually it's not one single user on thousands and thousands of users. It is, however, something that can be often be fixed on the server side. But since there have been no reports (that we know of) of other users having a bad connection with the database, I'm inclined to agree with you that this is not a database problem.

For the rest I completely agree with you :)

Actually I have Windows 10 too (I'm in the US) and I don't have Internet Explorer, I have Edge. My understanding is that Edge replaced Explorer with Windows 10,

True - Edge replaced it. And I recall the European court case - I loved it. But I believe the OP is in the US. (Yes, checked profile.) Even so - fair comment.

But she had iE and hated it (see page 4) - and given her lack of enthusiasm for doing anything to her machine, I would be surprised if she had got rid of it completely.

Still - we've tried. Not a lot more we can do, really.

Oh absolutely. I refuse to update it and it shouts at me from the Windows update box ! But if it worked we would have more information.

38 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

True - Edge replaced it. And I recall the European court case - I loved it. But I believe the OP is in the US. (Yes, checked profile.) Even so - fair comment.

But she had iE and hated it (see page 4) - and given her lack of enthusiasm for doing anything to her machine, I would be surprised if she had got rid of it completely.

Still - we've tried. Not a lot more we can do, really.

Oh, that's right! I forgot all about Edge. Refuse to use that too :D Yeah, I loved that case too. :D

Well, all we can do is advice. If she's not willing to use the advice..... It's as you say. Nothing more we can do.

You have been given a multitude of suggestions of things to try that have worked for others with similar problems. Most of them don't involve downloading anything. You often say "I have tried that" but you don't specify which "thats" you have actually tried. So I'm going to list some of the suggestions here for you to check:

1. Check that you don't have Cap Lock on.

2. Log out and log in.

3. Try entering the action instead of the password.

4. Check keyboard language setting.

5. Close and reopen browser.

6. Clear cache and history.

7. Check your saved password to be sure it wasn't accidently reset.

8. Reboot computer.

9. Type password into document or something and copy paste it into the action page.

10. Send a "forgot password" email to DC.

11. Change your password.

12. Delete cookies.

Please go over this list again and try those options that you are willing to try again to see if anything here helps.

I do have 1 question for you. Have you tried the "reset password" option after your first attempt when you got the popup or were redirected to the attempt to have you DL something? I ask because it's possible it was a popup ad or something not actually trying to redirect you. Maybe it would be worth trying the "reset password" option again if only to record just what it said. It might be helpful for those trying to help to know whether you are redirected every time or exactly what the message is that you get. 

It might also be worthwhile to know that often the security measures that come preloaded on our machines are not always the best. You might want to do some research on the anti virus that you have to be sure how good it is.

When I came to DC, I was advised many times to change my browser to FF. I was using IE, had always used IE, was satisfied with IE, and very much resented all the advice to leave it behind. Eventually, I decided to check out FF and found that I liked it much better. I never went back to IE. Now, FF no longer seems to be serving me so well. It's extremely tiresome to have it update so often, and to have these updates so often changing things I like about it. Since version 3.4 or there abouts, it seems to have been going downhill for me. I may soon be looking for another browser. Rest assured, I will listen to advice I see about that here, because so many here are so helpful and more knowledgeable about computers than I am.

1 hour ago, raindear said:

I do have 1 question for you. Have you tried the "reset password" option after your first attempt when you got the popup or were redirected to the attempt to have you DL something? I ask because it's possible it was a popup ad or something not actually trying to redirect you. Maybe it would be worth trying the "reset password" option again if only to record just what it said. It might be helpful for those trying to help to know whether you are redirected every time or exactly what the message is that you get. 

It might also be worthwhile to know that often the security measures that come preloaded on our machines are not always the best. You might want to do some research on the anti virus that you have to be sure how good it is.

When I came to DC, I was advised many times to change my browser to FF. I was using IE, had always used IE, was satisfied with IE, and very much resented all the advice to leave it behind. Eventually, I decided to check out FF and found that I liked it much better. I never went back to IE. Now, FF no longer seems to be serving me so well. It's extremely tiresome to have it update so often, and to have these updates so often changing things I like about it. Since version 3.4 or there abouts, it seems to have been going downhill for me. I may soon be looking for another browser. Rest assured, I will listen to advice I see about that here, because so many here are so helpful and more knowledgeable about computers than I am.

She has said she has done that several times, I believe.

(and psst. Pale Moon :) )

Edited by fuzzbucket

@fuzzbucket I asked because it is unclear to me what she says or what she is referring to sometimes in her responses, and she has said so often that she refuses to dl anything she's not familiar with that I thought she might be afraid to try that option again.

I do hope she gets this worked out. I hoped by setting everything in one post she could make sure she had tried everything we have offered, that she is comfortable trying.

I know - I saw when you did it earlier. But I was pretty sure she said she had tried that again.

And she is now logged out and cannot get back in, at least in the only browser she is prepared to try - which limits her options from your list a bit.

Sadly I am sure that whatever she tries, this will not be solved without a decent malware scanner on top of her AV. If she won't download one, she will need to get tech help, and pay for it. Which is such a waste.

Edited by fuzzbucket

4 hours ago, fuzzbucket said:

I know - I saw when you did it earlier. But I was pretty sure she said she had tried that again.

The problem is that she keeps saying she tried "that" or that she "has" without clarifying what she actually did - and more than once it has turned out that she has not tried the "that" everyone is assuming she tried. Having worked as tech support myself, I know sometimes there's a problem with a machine, and sometimes there's an end user who simply isn't following instructions - and considering she insists that she will not switch browsers or even her password, I think there's a distinct possibility that she never retried the Forgot Password process after the initial attempt (especially since I asked for the exact wording of the message and she never responded with it - could it be it's not even malware, just a request to update Flash or Java ? Who knows, because she will not give details). 

I really, really want to see her get her scroll back - I'd be so gutted if this happened to me - but I'm a little frustrated when someone seems to want someone else to work a miracle for them instead of taking the help that they asked for.

2 hours ago, LibbyLishly said:

I really, really want to see her get her scroll back - I'd be so gutted if this happened to me - but I'm a little frustrated when someone seems to want someone else to work a miracle for them instead of taking the help that they asked for.

Me too. :(

I'm unsuccessfully trying to imagine a reason why someone wouldn't want to change their password when the one they're trying to enter obviously doesn't work.

I wish I understood what the problem is so I could try to help think of a solution. :huh:

Spoiler

for the last time I never changed my password to start with and won't do it now just because you tell me to since I never had trouble till this past Sat

12 hours ago, Jedi40 said:
  Hide contents

for the last time I never changed my password to start with and won't do it now just because you tell me to since I never had trouble till this past Sat

Then you are basically stuck. Though I suspect it isn't your password doing this but malware. Which may have done for your password anyway.

If you trusted me, I'd test your password for you.

Edited by fuzzbucket
unhid quote for easier flow

Multiple users and mods have offered multiple things to try in order to properly diagnose this issue.  This is an issue no one is familiar with, and it is going to require some testing on your part.  Otherwise we cannot help you.

I still highly suspect that malware has hijacked your browser and is causing redirects.

Can you log in from a different device?

They've said in past posts that they have "no other machine" to try. Don't know if maybe they have a smartphone to try? Or perhaps go to the local library and use their computer, most libraries offer free computer use. That may be an option.

You won't change your password (if you even could, since you say it redirected you). You won't try another browser. You won't run a different anti-virus. Will you at least try logging on from a different device? Even if you don't have another device yourself, most places in the US have libraries with free internet and/or internet cafes. Or you can try at a friend's house.

If you won't even do that, well you are pretty much out of luck. Everyone has offered multiple ways to get to the bottom of this problem that you refuse to try. No one here can get on your computer and fix it for you, no one here has that ability. We can offer solutions and advice, but you have to actually take some sort of action.

I return to tell you that on another forum I am on where someone was just trying to sign up as a new member, she got this exact same thing (asking that she download a pdf programme of some kind.)

ETA I believe it was pdfcreator.

It WAS a browser hijhacker and she has now removed it.  Her antivirus - very up to date - had not detected it. They often originate - apparently - from twitter and facebook, when you click on fake news items, though that's not the only place you get them. And just changing your password wouldn't work anyway. This goes deeper than that.

If you refuse to believe this is what has happened to you (and it is only you, or if it isn't, others are downloading what's necessary) then you are not going to be able to play your scroll. Not only that, but it may in the end affect any sites where you have a password - it seems to be entering a password that triggers it. That was when it hit you - entering the password to abandon an egg.

Your only option. if YOU won't download anything, is to take your machine to a reliable technician. But as I say - I WILL test your password on my machine if you'd like.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Oh and by the way - she was  also using Chrome. And in the END, using Edge, she found that the annoying window had developed an x to close it, and made it in.

I never had any problem logging onto or off my scroll before we had the time change a few weeks ago and I am not going to start a new scroll now just that you tell me to after I have been at this game longer then you and I am not going to start a new one now after all this time. Also I have no other PC to use and no other place to get to another PC to try it out on.

Also unlike other sites there is no way for me to lock this thread myself and will have to get a mod to do it for me when I have the time to do so.

Edited by Jedi40

That is why we suspect you have gotten malware somewhere.  The time change would be completely coincidental.  A browser hijacker would cause redirects when you're trying to do other things, such as asking you to download something when the site will not ask you to do so.  It can also mess with entering passwords for actions.

No one has suggested that you try another scroll.  We want to help you fix this one, but you need to work with us.  We can offer help but it's up to you to implement it.

Do you have a smartphone you have access to?  You could try logging in that way.

Well ... You've received plenty of ideas and suggestions for things you could try out. It's clearly something with your computer, not your account, otherwise other people would have the same issue.

Some suggestions you cannot do due to missing opportunities. That's life, poop happens, I suppose.

Other suggestions (browser, malware checker) you just do not want to do. That's entirely your choice.

Not a lot that can be done here, sorry. :(

My PC does a malware check everyday and I never had any trouble till the time change a few weeks ago and I am not and never will change to another browser ever again since I like the one I have been using since I got this PC a few years ago.  

You don't have a library close by? Or an internet cafe? Or a friend who owns a computer or smartphone? Can you do a Google search for businesses nearby that offer free internet use? There are a lot of places around here that do. Do you work or go to school? Is it possible to borrow a classmate or co-workers smartphone for just a minute in order to attempt to log in to DC?

Once again, since people have said this multiple times but you don't seem to understand: NO anti-virus or anti-malware program is 100% right ALL the time. None. It's simply not *possible*, because new viruses and such are being created all the time in different ways that are specifically meant to not be detected. We get it, your PC's scan has not picked up anything. That does *not* mean there isn't anything on your computer! Scans can and DO miss stuff, no matter how good you think the program is. At this point, from everything you have told us, it is almost *certainly* a malware/virus issue. There really isn't anything else that it could be. If you refuse to believe that, your choice, but you'll never fix the problem that way.

You can also brush your teeth every day and still get cavities because no toothpaste can kill all the involved bacteria.

Antivirus software is not perfect, it's made by humans, and humans can miss things - especially since viruses and worms develop faster than software engineers can fight them.

If you don't trust the software *we* suggested, ask some you trust. Seriously!

Edited by Ruby Eyes