ShadowMonster

Nalom

Skinner continued to work, drawing the rune circles on each of the six sides of the box.

"So you mean that if this works, I'm free to go." the boy asked, obviously unsure of the process.

Skinner smiled and nodded, not looking up from his work, "Correct. If I can prove to the city that you are rehabilitated and no longer a seven foot man-eater, you will be free to go." Skinner left out the part about the monthly interviews and conditional release. That wouldn't help his spirits much.

Skinner finished the drawings and crossed the room again. The table he stopped at was covered in intricate chemistry equipment. It was like a roller coaster track filled with strange fluids and made of crystal. The monstrous alchemy set he was standing before was a horrendously sloppy fusion of chemistry and potion making equipment. Using this hashed together set, Skinner was capable of creating very concentrated formulas with very specific effects. Skinner flipped through a manual pulled off the shelf in behind the table.

"This gash here was caused when I broke the eye well off of the mask. Any damage done to it will come back to me, and even if by some far chance this does work, I highly doubt that the spirit would let me go. Its more likely to take me with it than let me live freely again." the boy said behind him.

Skinner lifted his hand and made a come "here motion" with his finger over his shoulder. A notebook launched off the table on the opposite side of the room and sailed into his waiting hand. Skinner flipped to a blank page and started writing, "That's a new one. It's like...unhelpful voodoo" he said, pondering for a moment, "Well, I hate to break it to you but the Spirit you're worried about isn't even real. The mask has a mnemonic effect on the host. One of my tattoo's picked up on the cognihazard as soon as I picked it up. That thing asked me to put it on before I managed to block it out, creepy stuff you gotta deal with, boy" he said with a chuckle.

"Anyway. As I said before, The mask seems to act like a virus. It has evolved to protect itself. Seems it's only purpose is to torture you though." Skinner finished the combination he was working on and left the table to let it percolate. He grabbed his notebook and crossed the room to the table again, "This box was invented by one man but then modified by me. It cuts off exotic transmissions from whatever is placed inside. My theory is that this item is manipulating you on a subconscious level and making you think you have to be this way. I think, If we sever these signals, you can begin to kick your 'addiction'. Plus, that will sell to the council better than 'well, he's all better' " He said, taking a seat in his rolling chair. Skinner flipped the page of his notebook back up, "So...whats your name?" he began with, scribbling down the answer followed by species, crime and experiment description. After he finished, the continued, " Ok, how long have you been this way? What are the symptoms if you haven't eaten in a while? Is the transformation painful? What if someone was to steal the mask and you couldn't get it back? Who is this spirit you say is attached to the mask?" he asked each question after Dauoa's answers. through the interview, the boy asked a question of his own;

"And if by some chance this doesn't work....... what will happen." he asked tentatively.

Skinner sighed, "There really isn't any telling. It's completely plausible that I'm wrong. It could actually kill you, put you through terrible pain, throw you into a frenzy, or nothing at all. This kind of stuff isn't an exact science". He took the box in his hands and checked his drawings to make sure he didn't forget anything, "Once I turn this on, it would be as if it no longer exists to you. At anytime you can request it to be turned off. I advise against that because then we can't get any useful results." he said with a smile. Whenever you're ready"

Dauoa watched him work on drawing things on the box and moving around the room. Scooting closer to the box his mask was in he hissed in pain from his leg and arm. He liked the sond of reverting back to his old self but he had a feeling that drac was wrong on the mask, but he would have to wait and see.

"So if this works im free to go. Why? Wouldnt the city want , I don't know, revenge or something. "

Drac walked ocer to a small table that held a lot of items and it caught dauoas attention. There was Vail's filled with strange colored liquids and books lined a shelf behind it. Drac pulled on free and started leafing through it.

Dauõa recanted the mask tie with him, whipping his head around as the sound of leather scrapped against leather. A swishing noise was soon accompanied by a flying book. Dauõa sat with large eyes, he didnt know why he was suprised but he was. He had seen thw power that drac excludeds as a magic user first hand. Maybe he had the slight fear he was going to hit him with it but was pleasantly suprised when it landed in dracs hand. Jotting down some quick notes he had turned back to what he was doing.

Glancing back up he had missed a small part of dracs speech, but he doubted that he was caught not paying attention. He was a little nervous and scared, half listening to him was soothing? But also putting him on edge.

"This box was invented by one man but then modified by me. It cuts off exotic transmissions from whatever is placed inside. My theory is that this item is manipulating you on a subconscious level and making you think you have to be this way. I think, If we sever these signals, you can begin to kick your 'addiction'. Plus, that will sell to the council better than 'well, he's all better' " He paused as he pulled out a chair, taking a seat and opening a book to take notes again.

"So...whats your name?" The question seemed so simple but was so hard to answer. Shivering slightly he looked over the box again, hit one good arm itching to flip the awitch and take the mask. It would be detrimental to what drac was trying to do bit he couldnt help it. It was so close, it was calling to him.

" Ok, how long have you been this way? What are the symptoms if you haven't eaten in a while? Is the transformation painful? What if someone was to steal the mask and you couldn't get it back? Who is this spirit you say is attached to the mask?" Drac's question brought him back from the box.

"Hmm. My names dauõa virtea, it means life and death." His eyes came up from his lap where they had rested afyer looking away from the box to land on drac before looking away again.

" I've been this way since I was 11 so for 5 years. I started out as a plain white stag. And I had power and respect, I was loved by my people, other forest creatures and other spirit like beings. After i became this it hurt to change. The first time was the worst. Now it's just a dull ache. As for not eatting, well its not pretty. In the beginning I.... was a loose cannon I giess yoy could say. After the initial hunger wore off with being sated all i did was wait and test things. I avoided killing as much as possible but when that didnt work I settled for a happy medium for me. But I had to leave the forest and i dont know what become of it. If I didnt eat for a while, which is about 3 weeks, I get a intense hunger and rage. I kinda black out and go on a killing spree. Also my powers diminish, that part of the reason my arm and legs not healed. I ate but not to the extent I needed to to maintain top wendigo status."

Dauõa glanced around the room more as he talked, relaxing the longer he sat and nothing happened. With the meds helping the pain he felt almost content in a was. Drac wasnt a bad person in his eyes, he understood why he had fought him but by all rights he could have easily killed dauõa and just examined his body. Was it because he would get more out of him this way or was he just truly a careing person under his rough, cold and calculating exterior.

" As for someone taking the mask, well if that happens which has only happened twice. The second being you, I have a compulsion to do what you say. Its like a safety thing, if I get split form it for a great distance for any lenght of time.... it hurts. Its like a fire runs through my veins and eatting at my skin. As for who the spirit is, I dont know. The mask was originally mine and after I killed the previous wendigo that came into my territory, a black mist like thing came out of the body. I managed to seal it into the mask but not beforw it sunk its claws into me. If you get what I mean, so I dont know if its part of a living curse or a actual thing." Dauõa finished up with his questions with some hand flips and shrugging of his shoulders. It was kinda nice to finally be able to tell someone about it, even if this was possibly his last couple of moments alive.

"There really isn't any telling. It's completely plausible that I'm wrong. It could actually kill you, put you through terrible pain, throw you into a frenzy, or nothing at all. This kind of stuff isn't an exact science" cocking his head to the side slightly he listened confused a little.

"So I get alll the bad things it will do. But I have a couple of questions first."

Taking a large breath to steady himself he started with his questions. His nerves picking back up as the time got closer to try the box thing out.

"First, whats your name. I dont think you want me to keep calling you dracula. Second, what's science? And .....hmm, I cant think of any thing else." Giving a smile he knodded at Dracula. He seemed slightly ready to move on.

"Once I turn this on, it would be as if it no longer exists to you. At anytime you can request it to be turned off. I advise against that because then we can't get any useful results." A smile graced his face. It made him look younger and helped to releave some nerves, not alot.png but some.

"Whenever you're ready" dauõa smiled back, fear was welling inside him at the unknown. Would he live or die, at least with death it would be final but if he leaved and nothing happened, what would happen.

"Dracula, I'm..... scared. But... go ahead." Uncertainty wavered in him as he watched him. He could only welcome the relief that he would feel at the end, whatever the outcome may be.

Phill had been walking home and was keeping his ears open to hear what was being said as he passed where the bodies were. A little bit further down the road he heard the swishing of an arrow cutting through the air. Phill dove forward the arrow sticking into his backpack.

Two figures stood in the shadow, just as he was going to speak another arrow was fired. Phill rolled under it but as he got to his feet he was face to face with a large guy holding a two handed sword. He swung quickly and phill jumped back, growling as it cut his shirt and chest slightly. Phill was not going to be able to fight and dodge arrows so he continued to move so the swordsman was between himself and the archer.

Phill ducked under a swing that would have took his head and sent a quick kick to the guy's jaw watching his head snap back from the impact. He quickly rolled backward though avoiding the arrow he cought the scent of some sort of herbal concoction and he was guessing poison. The swordsman swung and changed directions mid swin getting a good cut across his stomach. Phill felt the electricity sparking as he was getting desperate and angry the situation now fully dawning on him.

The fight went on for a while the fact that he had two strong assasins that seemed to work together caused him trouble. After the hard fought battle phill stood over two electrified bodies. They had tried many different ways of attack but in the end they slipped up and got close enough for phill to grab them and that had ended their life. Phill had cuts across his chest and stomach luckily none too serious though he was bleeding a bit. Phill had a black eye and waspanting in pain and exhaustion. His left arm was most likely sprained though luckily not broken since he could move it.

Phill began to run towards the inn since he was not too far away when he was attacked. He thought he saw more so he quickly dodged to the side and fell. Surprise filled phill as he heard his name called, it was rain, rain was looking for them. Phill forced himself to stand and walked towards rain. He entered rain's line of sight "rain...i found you.. we need to find david too." He was out of breath and in a large amount of pain. Hestretched out the sprained arm biting his lip from the pain. "There were two a bowman and a swordsman i electricuted them after breaking their arms, they wont be a bother anymore."

"rain...i found you.. we need to find david too." Rains head turrned at the panting voice behind him. Turning he faced a very disheved looking phill. He was bleeding from a light cut on his stomach and chest.

"There were two a bowman and a swordsman i electricuted them after breaking their arms, they wont be a bother anymore." Rain smiled weakly at phill, happy for the more part he was mostly uninjured.

"Hey, you ok." Glancing behind phill he nodded not seeing anyone else there.

" Have you seen david he hasnt shown up since the fight we had." Rain glanced around at the different alleys. Any one could have been a trail leading to him or leading to nothing. Two stuck out as they were thw largest streets connected to the one he was on.

With out his scence of smell, it being muddled with the stench of blood, rain pointed at the first large path. "You take that one and ill take another. But be careful, there was a second attacker with my guy. And I fear that he isnas equally as trailed as me."

Grasping his side he started down the road set before him, glancing over his shoulder as he went. " If you find him go back to the inn, ill meet you there in the morning. And thats where I'll be if I find him."

Rain disappeared around a corner out of sight. Leaning on the wall he looked around. His skin was starting to burn up and he was tired but he had yet to find david.

"Hey David where are you. Please we're worried about you." The end of his sentence died off as he slumped down the wall a little.

"Please be ok"

Phill watched as rain was obviously hurt as well and he let out a soft growl to himself. He was unsure on where to go to begin searching for david but saw the two large paths and let out a quiet sigh. "Alright i will take one an you the other but i want you to be very careful too, if your not at the inn by morning i will end up flipping the city upside down just like we have to do to find david now." Phill walked down the large main street that he was given to walk down. Phill had his ears perked on high alert for anything that sounded suspicious or like david. Phill was unsure what he could do to help out since he was sure that enough bowmen would halt his rescue attempt, his best hope was that they didnt have many people or any bowmen at all.

(((I was setting David up to timeskip to morning so you're not going to find him)))

Skinner Paced back across the room after he finished taking down notes on Daoua's story. He actually laughed when he told him his name, "Really? But that's so....cliche", he said, expecting the boy was actually joking. Not joking? Ok Whatever.

Skinner reached his chemistry set up and twisted a few pressure knobs. The compound was finished and ready for application. Skinner pulled a lever and dispensed a small amount of a thick, amber liquid into a small vial. He corked the vial and stuck a needle through the cork. He filled the syringe as he walked back.

"First, whats your name. I don't think you want me to keep calling you dracula. Second, what's science? And .....hmm, I cant think of any thing else." he asked.

Skinner motioned for the boy to give him his arm and he started swabbing antiseptic fluid on the injection sight, 'My name is Skinner" he said plainly. That was easy to answer. The second question was more difficult to wrap his head around.

"Science is what magic actually is. It's explaining how the world around us works in repeatable and testable theories and facts. Science is what puts me ahead of others who...also study XM" He explained, pushing the needle under his skin and injecting him with the Faraday formula, "Thats a difficult question to answer fully. There is still a lot I don't understand."

"That will convert your veins to turn your body into one of these boxes. This will block exotic transmissions from entering or exiting your mind" He said, removing the syringe and incinerating it in his bare hands. Skinner rested his hand on to of the box

"Dracula, I'm..... scared. But... go ahead." he said from his place on the table.

Skinner nodded and waved his hand briefly. The shackle attaching him to the table unlocked and Skinner gave him a look that said, don't think about it.

"I know kid..." was all he said before switching the box on.

((Alright then i will just set phill up for a timeskip as well))

Phill walked around the streets sore and tired, he could not find david and saw how late it was. He made his way back to the road the inn was on. He took a wild guess that david may come back to the inn the next morning or at least rain would come back and they would be able to search for him more. Phill had looked down multiple streets and found nothing. He wrapped the arms of his hoodie that he took from his bag, careful not to let the arrow touch him around his waist. He leaned against the wall, sitting in an alleyway that came off of that road. He was tired and his eyes closed slowly "i hope everything turns out okay..i would hare to lose anyone else."

((( ok then when dauõa and skinner is ready i guess we are good to go. Ill leave rain where he is, passed out on the road. Ill pick up with him in the morning. Eh he'll be fine.))))

"I know kid..." skinner had spoken softly, and dauoa couldnt tell if it was from true understanding or just politeness. He would take both as now he had hope to better his life. He wanted the chance to go back to how life was before the wendigo spirit got to him.

Silence....

Dauoa didnt hear any sounds from the room. It was like all audio had been cur from the room. Glanceing at skinner he watched him, confusion swimming in his eyes, as he watched and shuffled through amd around things. He should have heard that, the soft turning of paper or clicking of shoes as he walked or the squeak from the chair. But there was nothing.

"Skinner I cant hear anything. I cant hear." His voice came out but he couldn't tell if he was making sound or not. He didnt know if he was screaming or whispering. The only indication he had was the movement of his mouth and a odd feeling of something moving on.. no, in his neck.

Raising his good hand to skinner he touched his arm, alarm now on his face as he starred at him waiting for a answer. Other than the sound there was no pain or anything else, not at first. It started as a mild throbbing in his head and grew, flaming to life like a fire taken to gasoline. Traveling down his body curling in his toes and swarming back up. He felt like he was on fire.

Arching his back he fell back onto the cold metal table. Even the cool surface couldnt quench the burn in his body. Gasping from the pain he through his mouth open but could hear a scream. It was terrifying. Pain raled his body but he couldnt hear anything. It was then worst thing to ever happen to him.

Convulsing a little dauõa rolled onto his side close to the edge of the table. He could see it but it didn't register.

"Skinner.... turn it off ...off ....please. " Gasping for air the pain slowly resided taking with it something deep within him. A small peice of his being felt like it had been ripped out and now a large empty void was left there.

"Skinner.." let slowly rolled himself up into a sitting position and hopped off the table and onto the floor, keeping his bag leg from getting any weight applied to it. He melted his way to the floor to lean against a table leg. If they where going to keep this up he wanted to do it away from anywhere where he could fall and hurt himself anymore.

"What happened. " Sound was comming back to him as he looked up at him. A dull constant buzzing was what he could hear, except when skinner spoke a muffled tone filtered through but he couldnt understand what he was saying.

"Let's not do that again for a little bit. I need to catch my breath."

Skinner switched off the Faraday cage and sighed. The reaction had not gone how he predicted. When Daoua piped up and appeared to be fine, "Skinner sat down and began to write.

"Alright, Well the Cage and the Solution injected into your system at the same time is too intense. We will have to start you out small. Just a small dose injected once or twice a day and we will step it up gradually." he explained as he began to draw out a dosage chart.

"This was good, really. the worse thing that would have happened would have been nothing at all. Since something did happen, we know we are at least on the right track." He said.

That was true, since Daoua had a reaction when the cage was switched on that told Skinner that a majority of the boy's sickness was coming from the mask itself. At least the treat ment was going in the right direction.

Skinner glanced at the clock on the wall behind him and yawned, "Well, I guess I better show you to your room." Skinner said, locking the box with the mask inside a desk drawer, "Follow me"

Skinner lead Dauoa up the stairs and out the secret entrance to his workshop. Once in the hallway, Skinner pulled the pins from the hinges on his bedroom door and slid them back into another set of hinges on the top. Skinner picked up the door from the bottom and flipped it towards the ceiling. The door stuck like it was compleatly normal for a door to open that way. Skinner turned the handle overhead and swung the door open. A retractable ladder like you would see on a attic slid from overhead. Skinner stepped back and motioned for Daoua to climb the ladder first.

At the top was a single metal door that was locked by a valve. Skinner spun it open and lead him inside. "This. Is my panic room. It's where i lock up dangerous fae when I need too. I've had many werewolves ride out their first change in this room.

Inside was better kept than one would expect a room used to house rabid fae would be. The square room was modestly furnished with a desk and a bed. The furniture looked new, spare a thin layer of dust, and contrasted starkly with the walls. The walls were covered in gash marks that left deep trenches in the concrete the single, barred window was untouched by the damage. In the corner sat a bare toilet.

Skinner placed his hands on his hips and smiled, "well it's not much but it beats the city gulag" He said, "Make yourself at home and I'll come let you out in the morning. We will continue therapy tomorrow and pitch your case to the city" He said, stepping to the door, "Good night Daoua". Skinner shut the heavy steel door and spun the lock, sealing the boy inside.

(((Ok, They are ready for the next day as well)))

Rain woke in the early morning hours to a rooster far off, most likely on a farm that still feel inside of skinner procedure ring. Opening his eyes he gazed at the sky as slivers of orange and red broke over the horizon. It cut away from the dark blanket that was night.

The streets where mostly empty, the only ones out where the shop owners who where setting up there store. Most payed him no mind, the one who did stayed a wide birth from him. Think he was just a street scum, a begger who had surprisingly survived the night.

Raising up from his position on the ground he glanced down the street, he wasnt to far from the inn and should make it back in a few minutes of slow waking. A pain shot up his side reminding him of the events of last night. He must have passed out from blood loss, it was a miracle that he hadnt died.

Slowly making his way back to the inn he opened the front door. It was early, so early that the counter man hadnt even come out to take his post. Walking up to the attic room that they shared rain opened the door. Spotting phill on the bed rain decided he was going to shower . That would give phill a little more rest and rain could take the time to clean and dress the wound. Finding their packs of stuff rain drabbed a shirt and pants before making his way to the shower in the corner of the room.

--------

Dauõa could hardly sleep, most of his time had been spent on the bed thinking. Only being drawn out of his thouts when a noise would catch his attention. Skinners house was large and it seemed to contently be making noises. At first he had payed attention to them all, guessing as to ehat they might be. It was a way to keep himself occupied while waiting for sleep to claim him. After a while he just settled for staring blankly at the walls.

A sliver of light shown froma small window the only indication that night was breaking. Standing from his bed he walked intobthe little ray of light. Now it was something else to entertain himself with. Running his hand through the light he watched the display across his skin. It only held his fascination for a littlw while and before long he was over at the door. Skinner had yet to come and get him, after trying the knob he went to side back on the bed. He would just have to wait for skinner

Phill had moved into the inn during the middle of the night and had fell onto the bed. His tails swayed slowly as he heard the sound of running water. He sat up with a low groan as his aching body made sure he remembered the night before. He had passed out and made it back here barely. He looked down and noticed that his chest was bandaged and the tattered shirt was gone.

Phill stood up slowly and stretched out his sore body. He grabbed a pair of shorts and a dark blue shirt. He set them by the door to the shower room and knocked "hey, who is in there?" He let out a small sigh as he backed away from the door just incase it opened and he ran his hand through his own messy hair.

As the room brightened with the approaching day, David stirred under the plaid sheets of a moderately sized bed. David cracked his eye open then squeezed it shut against the painful glare of daylight. He did manage to catch a glimpse of the unfamiliar room he had been sleeping in. He opened his eyes and looked around. It was a small bedroom with only a bed and wardrobe as furniture. David slowly sat up, the sheets falling away from his bare, bandaged chest. He looked down at it in wonder. The events of the night before suddenly replaying in it's entirety for the first time.

He remembered who's place this was. Uttara, the woman from the club, had hit it off with him and invited him to stay at her place for the night. He told her what had happened with Skinner and his friends. She was understanding and let him vent into the night. But where was she. David checked the space next to him in the bed but it was empty. David threw back the covers and his bare feet hit the chilly wooden floor. He pulled on his cloths and checked himself in the full lenght mirror mounted to the door of the wardrobe. He could hear someone moving around in the adjacent room and He assumed it was Uttara. Skinner stepped out of the bedroom and into the living room.

Uttara was in the connected kitchen with her back to him. She seemed to be putting the last of her breakfast dishes in the sink. David cleared his throat to get her to notice him. She turned and looked at him with surprise, "You're still here? Thought you slipped out hours ago" she said, grabbing a bag off the counter and slinging it over her shoulder. In this light, David was able to notice a small bird charm dangling from her neck by a thin silver chain.

"Uh...good morning?" he said with a shrug.

She rolled her eyes, "I have to get to work downstairs and if I'm not here...." She trailed off, hoping DAvid would get the hint.

David almost missed the hint she was dropping. He stood there with a puzzled expression for an embarrassingly long time when it hit him.

"Oh! censorkip.gif...I'm sorry, I'll just...I'll grab my stuff and get going", he said, backing away to the bedroom to retrieve his things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours passed before a metal clink of the panic room's lock echoed in the stone room. Skinner swung the door inward holding a cup of coffee and dressed in formal attire. He smiled and held the mug of black liquid towards Dauoa, "Morning kid. Want something to eat?" he asked, already knowing the answer.

Skinner lead Dauoa through his small apartment and sat him at the bar looking into the kitchen. Skinner moved swiftly, gathering things and starting his breakfast on the stove. He was making a double portion of bacon and eggs so his new roommate could have something as well.

When he was finished, Skinner slid a plate to Dauoa and sat down across from him with his own. He looked at the boy and frowned, "Do you even eat real food?" he asked. It hadn't dawned on him to ask.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David stepped onto the bright streets and held up a hand to shield his burning eyes from the rising sun. Citizens were already up and moving about their daily tasks. It was a bit embarrassing to get kicked out of a stranger's home. At least he felt better about the night before. He was just going to apologize for shutting down like he did, go visit Skinner about his lack of payment, and head of to see the wizard...or oracle...or whatever. He had no idea where in the city he ended up last night and he would need to ask a local which way the Inn was.

First thing was he needed a place for his hungover body to recuperate. Perfectly with a big plate of food.

David stepped into the opening diner and took off his hat. It seemed to be a sit at the bar and order kind of establishment. David took a seat and did just that.

Rain heard the dull knocking on the door. Turning towards the sound rain resumed washing the suds from his hair mumbling before calling out .

"Its me, rain. Do you need anything phill?"

Figuring it was him, given he was the only one in the bed room when he came in, he turned his back and pilled his hair on his head. Washing the last few suds out rain started on his body, being careful around the wound in his side he cleaned away the grim. Crusted blood rain down and tinted the water pink. The wound was a little puffy and red, signs of a infection.

"Hey phill, did you and David buy any ointment to treat wounds with. "

Taking a moment to bare the pain, rain cleaned most of the scan off. A thin layer was left and it was fairly soft from soaking in water.

"And bandages. Not along but i will meed them."

--------

Dauõa smiled brightly when skinner finally made his way to getting him. He though he may be stuck in there forever but was overjoyed when he heard the lock opening.

When the door finally opened skinner stepped in. He was dressed very nicely, a suit framed his figure and his hear was brushed and styled. In his hand he held a steaming cup out to dauoa.

"What is it" taking a quick whiff he answered his own question. "Hm coffee. Thank you"

"Morning kid. Want something to eat?" Skinner had asked as dauoa took the cup from his hands. He wasnt sure if he wanted it, he wasnt usally a fan of coffee. His favorite beverage being tea, it seemed rude to turn it down though as it was already offered. Besides skinner was helping him and it was the least he could do.

Taking a sip he held it in his hands with distain. He would not be drinking anymore, no matter what he just decides. Skinner could try to make him drink it and he would rather go through the box and mask incident than drink it. It was bitter and hot, the taste didnt sit well with him.

"Yes please.... whats with the suit." Dauoa followed skinner to the kitchen, he wasnt really paying attention to where they were going or more like how they got their. Taking a seat at the bar that overlooked the kitchen he watched as skinner went about making breakfast.

"Why are you cooking me food. I could do it, actually I could do any chores while you do other things doing the day. You could think of it as payment for letting me stay while we work on treatment." He could help thinking how out of place and character this was for him. The last night was so surreal with the way he had acted. It left him confused slightly at what was his real personality.

Dauõa laughed when skinner joined him putting a plate of food in front of him. " Your kinda odd, you know that." he didnt pay attention to any looks that was given him as he pulled his plate closer, picking up his fork he ruffled through the plate off food. Occasionally he would pick up a peice of food and eat it. It wastnt that it tasted bad, It just didn't taste like much of anything.

"Do you even eat real food?" Snapping his attention back to skinner he pushed his plate away a little.

" A little, but its more to keep up appearances of being human or the likes. If I eat to much regal food I get sick. And it never leaves me feeling full. So on to other things, what are we doing today." Dauoa had all but integrated to being with skinner, which was ok if he stayed like this. His rough exterior usually came from him drinking or doing a job from what he could tell.

"Because your dresses super nice."

Phill started going through his bag as he knew that he had baught some small medical supplies. He set the ointment and bandages on the bed. He opened the door and walked in not really caring that rain was naked. He pulled on rains hand after giving him a towl to cover with. Phill could see that the wound was getting slightly infected and decided it would be best to hurry.

Phill took part of the towl and gingerly dabbed around the wound rain sustained. He then sat rain on the bed and put ointment on his hands. Phill carefully and gently put the ointment on rain to help clean the wound and prevent further infection. Phill grabbed the bandages and wrapped them around rain's body so that it would be safe. "I am sorry if that hurt but it needed to be done to help protect from further infection."

Rain jumped not having expected phill to open the door and walk in with total discard to his state of dress. Caution was through to the wind as he dragged rain from the shower and to the bed. Rain was gently pushed down as he held one towel around his waist. Another phill was using to clean up the wound on his side.

Hissing in pain occasionally rain did his best to sit still, giving phill the easiest access to his side. Glancing around as phill worked he had yet to spot david.

"Did david come back last night." Concern was lighting through him again as phill finished up bandging his side. Smiling rain layed back on the bed, curling on his side he shut his eyes. He was still exhausted from last night it showed in his sluggish movements.

"Thanks phill, do you want to give it a hour or two. Its still pretty early, he may just be taking his time getting back."

Skinner Looked up from his breakfast as he spoke. He thought for a moment, finding that fact odd, "So something else is keeping you alive longer after you feed on an innocent person. There is no way your body can survive only on human flesh. Not with such a long cool down anyway. Normal Weindigos need to eat almost every night and even then they are only barely able to keep from starving to death." he went silent for several moments to give himself time to finish chewing, "We will run tests on that as well today."

Skinner finished off his plate and slid Dauoa's towards him. He wasn't about to waste food.

"Your kinda odd, you know that." he said, almost in an endearing way.

Skinner shrugged in response, "I've been called worse"

The boy kept remarking about how he was dressed so Skinner finally caved in, "I had a meeting today with The Importants of the city this morning. A meeting about you actually. I pitched your case and it's under review now. I spent a while last night drawing up a projected treatment plan and an initial analysis on you. I think you have a good shot to bypass execution" He explained in an upbeat tone. There was a reason Skinner picked New Mesa as his home away from home, it was a pretty lose place. New Mesa was generally a haven for people on the north side of unordinary, Usually, they were pretty lenient with the capital punishment and fell back on blacklisting dangerous citizens to the grey wasteland Nalom was becoming.

"Today, we will be running more tests on you to determine the best method to get you back to normal....you do want to get rid of this thing, right?" he asked.

Phill had chuckled at rqin's reaction to him just walking in and taking him to help. Phill sighed softly qs rain was hissing in pan and discomfort. Phill had made sure rain was comfortable as he could but was still unsure.

He was concerned about david but also seemed to be sluggish "get some rest rain incan protect myself better today and my powers are getting stomger. You do not have to wory about me." Phill nodded as he walked over to the window and began watching out it for david while his tail swayed slowly behind himself.

"So something else is keeping you alive longer after you feed on an innocent person. There is no way your body can survive only on human flesh. Not with such a long cool down anyway. Normal Weindigos need to eat almost every night and even then they are only barely able to keep from starving to death." Dauoa listened with mild Interest, more intent on actually watching skinner eat the portion he gave to him.

"You i dont really knowhow or why, I thought thats what your here for. To torture and experiment on me." A playful smile spread across his face as he spoke leisurely.

"Besides most of what I ate before consisted of a lot of salads if you know what I mean. And most of the people I eat where killers or repeat to begin with, far from innocemt in my eyes. I know it doesnt justify it but at least I dont kill for pleasure, and I am getting read of those that do." Dauõa sat quietly at this point waiting for skinner to finnish. He didnt really want to stay here along, it was boring and he didnt think skinner would let him stay without being locked up. Maybe skinmer planned to take him with him.

"I had a meeting today with The Importants of the city this morning. A meeting about you actually. I pitched your case and it's under review now. I spent a while last night drawing up a projected treatment plan and an initial analysis on you. I think you have a good shot to bypass execution" that caught his attention, so he was going out. Although it was someplace he didnt really want to go. It was either go and meet the people who wanted to kill you or stay home. That was a hard decision.

"Today, we will be running more tests on you to determine the best method to get you back to normal....you do want to get rid of this thing, right?"

"So am i going. If I am, you are taking the mask right. Or are we going to stay and do the experiments first. Yes I do want to be normal again, but it's been so long that I don't know what it feels like to be normal. If I cant get read of it I would be happy with just a food source change, you know so I dont have to eat people. " Dauõa was growing bord waitong for skinner to finish his food. Laying his head on the table he mummered out some random things that he had heard. It was a small form of entertainment while waiting.

Hearing a small scraping from his horns touching the table he lifted his head up. Glancing down he checked for scrapes, spotting a few he bowed in apology.

"Sorry, they are getting a little big. I suppose it's about timw for them to come off. Start them over again." Fingering the hard appendages he glanced over at skinner. It seemed like something he may be interested in, although it had nothing to do with being a wendigo but the stag.

------

At some point rain had fallen asleep, drifting in and out of stages of awakeness. Occasionally he would hear the mutterings of phill and it would cause him to wake back up before it quieted again and he returned sleep.

After a hour or so rain finally did turn over, awake for the day. By this time the sun was high in the sky and light streamed in abundance. Not the warn light of morning but the harsh rays of midday.

"Phill" Rain spotted him a little ways away on the other bed. He could tell if he had been sleeping or just sitteng and waiting but rain felt bad. First he had taken care of him then he had stayed while he sleeped and he couldnt remember for the life of him if he had thanked him.

"Thanks for earlier, and sorry I fell asleep on you. " Standing from the bed he strwtched before walking to stand next to phill. His side still hurt but with it being bandaged and treated with ointment he felt a lot better.

"Let's go get something to eat, maybe we will get lucky and run into david. After that though we are going to go see ekia. Im tired of this city, I feel that if it's not assassins trying to kill us its our travel companions." Leaning down rain gave a light kiss on his cheeck before heading to the door. He felt like going across the street to the little bar and dinner that was there. It was close, affordable and nice so why not.

Edited by Acornia

Skinner waved his hand in the air over his plate to deflect the boy's horns before they could swipe it to the floor.

"Sorry, they are getting a little big. I suppose it's about time for them to come off. Start them over again." he said in regard to his antlers. Skinner rubbed his finger over the rounded point of one of the branches.

"I got a bone saw in my lab if you want a trim. Do you molt like other cervidaen mammals" He asked. Skinner realized in that moment that he didn't know anything about what Dauoa actually was. In his report, he had documented that the boy was a Wiendigo and didn't even think to check what he was shifting from. Skinner now realized that Daoua identified as a different species outside of being a wiendigo. Skinner drew a little rune circle on the bar with a piece of chalk produced from a drawer in the kitchen. He placed his hand over it and it began to heat up against his palm. Underneath, His journal appeared under his hand. He flipped it open to Daoua's page,

"So, what are you? As you are now" He asked, his hand prepared to take notes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David was beginning to enjoy his morning again. After waking up in Uttara's apartment and being kicked out soon after he was in a bad mood. Especially since as soon as he stepped out he was graced with a searing pain in his head. It was right behind his eyes and seemed to get worse with exposure to sunlight.

After getting some food in him and having a good conversation with the man serving him, Skinner was feeling much better. He figured out where he was and which direction to go. He also got some less than useful information about what the locales were up to. It was entertaining and nice to talk to hold a conversation that wasn't about rough pasts or shape shifting monsters.

David thanked the man and rose to leave. David dug through his pockets for money to pay for his breakfast. When he checked his front pants pocket, his fingers closed around something flat and soft. He pulled out the torn scrap of fabric that had the symbol seen on the robes of the men who attacked him the night before. It was a simple emblem, just a circle with three lines radiating from the center. David replaced it when he finally found his money. David left the diner and headed towards Skinner's house. He needed to talk to Skinner about why he got stiffed on the job.

Dauõa could feel it but he seen the hand reach out and felt the small movemnets of his head from the attached horns. Blushing slightly he swiped his hand at Skinners to drive the appendage away.

"I got a bone saw in my lab if you want a trim. Do you molt like other cervidaen mammals" Dauõa shook his head at the offer. That would be more problems than they are worth. They would come off naturally and it was about that time so he could probably pull them off.

"Um no. Sorry I know you have been good to me when I dont technical deserve it but i dont think I want to around my head with any kind of saw. Besides its about that time, you could probably give them a stern yank and they would pop right off. And yes I do molt, I used to shed to in the spring to get read of my winter coat but not anymore. I can no longer take that form as it was replaced with the wendigo." Dauoa scratched his head right at the base of one antler. The area was rough and had no feeling in it, a good sign that it was close.

The movement of skinner drawing more signs on the bar top spooked dauõa away a little. When a book appeared under Skinners hand that was placed in the center dauoa relaxed and leaned foward, resting his elbows on the table.

"So, what are you? As you are now" the question caught dauoa off guard. He though he had already told him this but thought it over and realized he must have not said anything. But now would be a good time to tell him about it.

"Hmm. Im a white stag, a guardian of a forest. It was the lantok forest that covers some mountains far to the south. But from what I've been told, its no longer the beautiful place it once was, now it's mostly died. Although I havent been back since I left so its only gossip." Thinking for a moment he could think of anything else to add other than maybe what he could do. But if there was something specific that skinner wanted to ask he would.

Phillwatched quietly as rain began falling asleep and sat on the bed a small ways away from rain. He saw that he was keeping rain up with his talking so he stopped talking to let him rest. He continued to wait the hour that rain had slept and checked on his own bandages and changed it since it was dirty. He had a tough time but with time he got it changed.

Phill looked over at rain seeing that he was awake "good morning. You are welcome you would have done the same for me." He watched how rain slowly got up and smiled at him. "Yea we can get something to eat. Alright i am not sure if i want to stay in this city very long either and we need to try and get the others and then we can go look for more information." Phill blushed softly at the kiss on his cheek and stood up following rain out of the room.

Walking down the steps and down the hall rain glanced back at phill. He was curious as to who had attacked them last night, and why. Phill seemed content though to not voice his opinion or concern on the matter. Although in most cases rain would have been happy to oblige him he needed some answers.

"Hey, last night when we were attacked. Did you see who did it or know what they where from. I dont like the idea of random people attacking us without reason." Rain quietly padded down the last set of steps and out the door. He wanted to keep most of the conversation between him amd phill.

Walking out into the street rain slipped in amd out of the crowd of passbyers. It was busy out with people coming in and out of shops, others where working on repairing things, while others was setting up decorations. The small tavern or bar had a large banner infront of their place. It must have gone up this morning as it wasnt there last night. It was mostly white and read 'lifes favors'.

He had no idea what it meant but he would find out shortly. Glancing back at phill again he went in and took a seat at the bar, a drink and food was soon set in front of them as he relaxed to eat.

Skinner found that interesting. The boy had a different form before the curse. That could mean that his white stag was just mutated. Skinner was unsure what that meant for his treatment.

Skinner paused when He spoke about the people he killed,

"Besides most of what I ate before consisted of a lot of salads if you know what I mean. And most of the people I eat where killers or repeat to begin with, far from innocent in my eyes. I know it doesn't justify it but at least I don't kill for pleasure, and I am getting read of those that do."

Skinner Narrowed his eyes and took up the plates. Skinner wasn't expecting such a nonchalant answers about eating people. Did that mean he picked who he killed? So it wasn't a mindless killing like he originally thought, the murders were planned out. This wasn't good for his case at all. Skinner placed the dishes in the sink as he spoke, "Lets get something straight; Never. NEVER. Say that around anyone ever again." He said, turning to lean on the bar so he could look the boy in the eye, "Because you don't know that they were bad people. As soon as you killed them that all goes away. Then they are a victim of a violent attack. " Skinner let that sink in as he opened a cabinet and pulled down a small bowl and a bottle of honey from the back of the top shelf. He shook the bottle and poured a generous amount of golden liquid into the bowl, "If you want someone to face justice, you must keep them alive so they can see it. In your case we are not only playing a game of science with this treatments, we must also be politicians. If you want to get out of this city alive people need to believe you are a mindless killing machine"

Skinner was silent as he finished cleaning up the kitchen. His mind was racing about these new developments in Daoua's case. Skinner needed to get to work if he was going to make progress by the deadline. He placed the bowl of honey by the sink and walked towards the north corner of his living room. He kicked the filing cabinet and the wall slid up into the ceiling, revealing the passage down into his lab.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun was high in the sky when David finally remembered he still had Skinner's card. The Waiter was polite and nice, but he was beginning the believe he was talking out his ass about some of it. The directions he gave to the Inn were completely wrong. He finally came to a stop when he reached a wide river that sheared New Mesa from the rest of Nalom. Cargo ships drifted lazily with the current, taking goods and people to unknown destinations. David was forced to turn around and backtrack incorrectly until he was hopelessly lost in a seemingly wealthy part of town when he finally remembered the crumpled business card squished in his back pocket. He used it to lead him back to Skinner's house. David was confident he could get his bearings from their.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skinner was asking a series of psychological evaluation questions when a cookoo clock upstairs sounded loudly, causing Skinner to jump and look towards the stairs. He put down his notebook and took off his glasses, "Doorbell, Be right back" he said as he rose from his chair. Skinner was almost up the stairs when he turned back

"Don't touch anything, A lot of it's cursed in one way our another"

The wall slid shut behind him.

Skinner crossed the living room and checked the peep hole. It was that guy, the human from the day before. The one he keeps hitting. Skinner sighed and opened the door.

"What"

David was taken by surprise by the shortness in Skinner's tone. He regained his composure,

"You didn't pay me for helping you yesterday. "

Skinner blinked and thought back. He was right! his friends showed up and Skinner bailed without talking to the gun he hired. Skinner slapped his forehead,

"Oh yeah! Let me get that for you. Come in." He said, turning and walking back to the filing cabinet.

David stepped inside and shut the door behind him. David drummed on his legs and looked around, unsure what to do or say. Small talk was hard with this guy.

"So....what did you do with Daoua?" he asked.

Skinner didn't pause his shuffling through the drawers of the filing cabinet when David spoke up.

"He's in my basement right now"

"What! Wait, how do you have a basement? Don't you live on the second...never mind." David waved his hands and shook his head, "Is he 'down in your basement' like he's dead on your table?"

"No."

"So he's your prisoner?"

"Not exactly"

"Not exactly? What does that mean?"

"He's been staying in my attic and-"

"How do you have an attic!?!"

Skinner sighed and stood up with a small brown envelope in his hand along with a sheet of parchment. "It's no matter to you now. Sign here" he said, handing David the paper.

David skimmed it, it was some sort of receipt for his work. David pressed down on the bar and scrawled his signature on the line at the bottom. Skinner took it from him and filed it away.

"What was that?"

"The city budgets me a little money to hire help from officials. I usually use it one people like you since the officials in this city are dumb as a bag of hammers" Skinner said, handing over the envelope of money, "Thanks for your help"

David fished the scrap of fabric from his pocket and held it out to Skinner,

Before I go, Could you tell me what this means?"

Skinner took the scrap of torn fabric from the man and inspected the embroardered symbol,

"It's the emblem of the Church of the Broken God. They are the cult of the month in New Mesa. The like to scream at strangers about the end of the world and stuff. Normal cult activity. Why do you ask?"

David smiled innocently,

"No reason. Thought it was something else"

"Ok... Well, if that's everything..."

David did not leave though. Instead he remained where he was standing and looked the man in the eye.

"I think you should come with us." David said sternly.

"Who? Go where?" Skinner asked, confused.

"To stop this plague, of course. Don't you want to save this world?"

Skinner looked the man over. He was serious and he couldn't believe it. Skinner snorted, "Why would I do that? What's in it for me?"

"You would be saving a world. Not silently either. Imagine the payday from that"

Skinner was still for several moments, looking David in the eyes intently. David feared he might throw him across the room or hit him or both.

"Have a good day, DAvid" he said finally with a threatening smile.

David nodded with deflation and left the man's house.

Skinner was left standing in the center of his living room. the only sounds were the groans of his house and the ticking of the clock by the door.

Several minutes later, a clang could be heard from the basement and Skinner appeared at te bottom of the stairs. He crossed the room and put his glasses back on, "Now, where were we?"

Edited by padfoot

As soon as he said it he wished he could take it back. If the look skinner was giving him was any indication of how upset he was then Dauõa would be lying dead on the ground. He had just been answering questions honestly, if he couldn’t tell skinner who was supposed to try and help him then it could he tell.

"Lets get something straight; Never. NEVER. Say that around anyone ever again." The tone of his voice sent a shiver down his back and he turned away, he couldn’t bring himself to look skinner in the eye.

"Because you don't know that they were bad people. As soon as you killed them that all goes away. Then they are a victim of a violent attack. " There he way wrong, he had come across them in the act. Although he could see where skinner was coming from, giving them a fair chance. It was the same as what skinner had done for him, instead of killing him he choose to help him. He could have chosen to help them or at least save there victims. And if he needed to eat, well there was always the cemetery's with fresh body's.

"If you want someone to face justice, you must keep them alive so they can see it. In your case we are not only playing a game of science with this treatments, we must also be politicians. If you want to get out of this city alive people need to believe you are a mindless killing machine"

"Ok I'm sorry. Mindless killing machine from now on." He had been watching skinner as he worked in the sink no longer facing Dauõa. Standing he limped over to beside him. He had a bowl of golden liquid.

"What’s that.” moving on from his earlier discussion he was curious about some of the things skinner did. Did it have to do with science or just some random actions that he did out of habit. But skinner left to a wall in what was the living room . Following skinner he smiled as the a cabinet was kick and revealed another passage.

"Your place is pretty cool. Hey wait." Skinner was already walking away from him and he limped to catch up. Panting lightly from the exertion and pain from his leg. Having to hobble down a set of stairs was by far the hardest thing he had tried in a while.

Relief at the sight of a chair had him smiling. Taking a seat he was soon bombarded by questions. Most where random or seemingly innocent. The game of 20 questions was soon ended how ever at the sound of a cookoo clock.

As Dauõa’s attention snapped to the entrance of the basement skinner stood. "Doorbell, Be right back".

That was a odd doorbell, but Dauõa was finding that just like the man himself, everything he owned or did reflected him, odd. Still though it was welcomed, Dauõa liked skinner when he wasn’t hitting him or starring at him. "Don't touch anything, A lot of it's cursed in one way our another".

"Okay” he called after him before he disappeared completely up the stairs. After a couple of minutes when he didn’t come back Dauõa took to looking around. There was a lot of small statues and a lot of book, boxes, and other stuff. As he was scoping out the stuff, not touching anything, he spotted the box that had contained his mask last night.

He hadn’t seen skinner remove the mask, but he didn’t think skinner would leave it in there. He wouldn’t be surprised if skinner left the box there to see if he would try anything. So Dauõa went to the box and started by poking it, when nothing happened he ran his fingers over it. He figured since nothing happened that it was ok to touch. The box was smooth and cold, so cold it felt like it was biting his fingertips. Glancing at the latch, it didn’t appear to be locked.

Fingering the latch he pressed the button but nothing happens. No click to sound that it had release, no visible proof that it had opened. Placing his fingers in the seem at the top he tried prying the lid off. When that didn’t work he picked it up the best he could with one arm he flung the box onto the floor. It hit with a loud crash but nothing happened to him. He assumed now that either the mask wasn’t in there or it was packet in to keep it safe.

Panic flooded Dauõa as the sound of steps grew closer. Skinner was coming down the stairs and the box was right there at the base. "Now, where were we?"

"Ut oh. " Glancing up he meet Skinners eyes as he stopped at the bottom of the stairs. He waited for him to say something about it.

"Ha-ha ummm I don’t remember." Dauõa backed away from the box and sat on the metal table paying no attention to the box anymore as his gaze was still on skinner.

"Sorry"

Edited by Acornia

"Slowly now.. slow and quiet.." Theon was out hunting for 3 days, the Inn was running out of food and as little as he cared, he needed food as much as the Innkeeper. A deer was strolling quietly through the fields. "Eyes on the prize boy." Luke nodded looking at Snow, his eyes flashing with hope. he began to circle around the deer to left while his direwolf went around right, both using the tall grass to their advantage. For a second, the deer knew what peace was, just strolling through the field not suspecting a thing, but that was only for a second.. Snow leaped from the fields, startling the deer into a run, the deer was running directly in the direction Theon was waiting in, he unsheathed the dagger from his back at the sound of footsteps and Snow's quiet snarl, as soon as the deer got close, Theon let fly of his dagger which connected to the deer's neck with a crunch. "Dead." Theon was smirking as he said this, the plan was perfect and all he had to do was get the deer and head back to the Inn.

Theon got his horse into a gallop, the deer on the horse's back while Snow kept up with them, he would be at the Inn in a matter of minutes and his mind was occupied thinking about the mead and meat.

He tied his horse in the stable and grabbed the deer, carrying it over his shoulder. "Snow, stay." The direwolf obeyed and sat down next to the inn's door, theon went in and tossed the deer over the counter, "I did my part, it's your turn." The Innkeep nodded and handed him the keys for a room "Food will be ready in an hour, good hunt." The Innkeep's voice was of a bittersweet tone, he didn't like Theon but he was a man of his word and had promised Theon a room and food if he came back hunting with food. "Dont keep me waiting okay?, Oh and the wolf gets a share." Theon went upstairs and locked the door behind him.