ShadowMonster

Nalom

Phill had listened to the little bit of information that rain remembered and held him close. "I know things must have been tough for you and i don't want to force you to relive bad memories." He gave out a soft sigh as he felt rain leaning into him more and getting comfortable. He lay in just a pair of pants and between the massage and the comfy bed he was almost asleep.

Just as phill closed his eyes a scream ripped through the night. He grabbed his ears and growled as he was not ammused. "Not sure what it was but it couldn't be good, i am not ready to go outside but should we try and find out what the cause was? It was loud so i am guessing it has to be on this side of the city so we may be able to find it if we stay awake and i may have trouble in fights unless i can practice some. "

Dauõa's head snapped to the end of the alley where noise could be heard. At the entrance stood Dracula man from a day or so ago and david. He had his arms full off.

Looking back as the squirming gnome in is hand and back to david he released the hold he had on him, watching as he fell to the ground in a heap with a silent thud. He didn't get to do much else as Dracula held something up to his face.

"stupefact ton'tru " his voice echoed off the stone walls of the alley that now reflected the light of a blue cone like figure shooting towards him.

He didnt know what it was but decided that he probably didnt want it to touch him. Glancing at the body at his feet he reared back a powerful leg and punted the gnome up into the air, comeing between him and the matter. Turning quickly he took off down the alley away from david and the other.

If he could make it to the outskirts of town or out of town he could take refuge in the woods. Given they were dead, but it would be a better cover away from them. And he could start to the next town as he had over stayed his welcome in this one.

------

Rain crawled out of the bed and walked to the window. Glancing back at phill he contemplated if he would be able to help with the lack of magic, the day was not officially over and he would need the rest of the night for his magic to settle.

"I dont think its safe for you to be out without any magic. Maybe you should stay here, I'll stay to, I'm sure someone will deal with whats happening. "

Rain turned around and was meet with phill face.

"What? I dont think its safe for you."

Phill was relaxing against rain. He was unsure why rain was worried to begin with though he did hope it wasn't david. The more he thought about it he couldn't tell, the scream did sound like a male. Phill's tails sparked with electricity and he shook his head. "What if it is david? I have plenty of magic, i am overflowing with it i just may go overboard and fry someone but other than that i can protect myself." Phill let his tail sway behind him and his golden eyes shone with power. He was worried since david was not back yet and he was getting anxious.

"ok, let's go then. But please refrain from using any magic. "

With that rain took off out the door and down the 2 sets of steps and out the front door. Glancing behind him he looked to see if phill was following him. Satisfied that he was he took off in the direction he thought the noise had come from.

"Hopefully we will come across someone who has seen something."

He could only hope that it wasnt david but when phill had mentioned it the thought wouldnt leave his mind.

David rounded the corner of the alley where the commotion was coming from. He was at the opposite end of the alleyway, ficing Skinner who was standing at the other end. A large black creature with glowing eyes was pinned in the middle. David appeared just in time to see Skinner fire his weird cone magic.

The funnel of energy passed through the gnome, causing the small person's screams short as he froze in place. He Thumped to the ground, stuck in the same position. Skinner waved his hand as the creature turned to flee. "mutebiss!" he shouted.

The wall of the alley behind David folded at the ninety degree angle and closed off the exit on David's end of the alley. David whirled around in surprise. Great, Not only did he have to talk Skinner out of using him as bait, now he pinned him down between a wall and a seven foot monster that ate people. THe beast sprinted towards him and David drew his left pistol. He leveled it at the monster, "fire in the hole!" he yelled to warn Skinner at the other end. The tip of his gun erupted into a ball of flame as curled forks and spoons sprayed down the alley towards the monster.

Dauõa watched in horror as the end of the alley he was running to closed up. His easiest form of escape now closed off with a somewhat frightened david standing in the way.

David moved and dauõa eye traced the movement as he seen the guns being raised and a deafening bang rang out. Light lit up in dauoas eyes as pain raked up his arm and chest. Glancing down he watched as blackish blood started to drip form the wounds.

"Why david" dauõa asked before looking around for another escape. Glancing up the walls he was just tall enough that he could reach the gutter of a building just behind david. If he got a running start he could make his way up and out of the alley.

Taking a last glance back at Dracula he charged as david hoping to make it to the side with the building befor he either lost to much blood or Dracula found some way to paralyze him, and he wouldnt put it past him.

David drew his second gun from his hip and fired at the beast charging right for him. This time it was not hunks of silver racing down the alley. This time it was red hot pieces of iron and a bouquet of flaming sparks erupted from the barrel of his pistol. Skinner had called it Dragonbreath rounds and he seemed sure that fire would slow the weindigo down just like the silver.

Skinner dove to his left as David haphazardly fired twice down the alley towards him. Skinner cursed and scrambled to get up off the pavement. The creature was trying to jump for it! Skinner aimed his flute at a nearby dumpster "recoati manibus!" he yelled, jerking his flute in a arc towards the dark monster.

David could have sworn that the monster said his name and asked him, "Why?" The only response David could have though of was "You kill people" He thought he was done for good as the beast thundered towards him. At the last second, it launched off the ground and sailed towards the roof above him. A flash of violet light out of the corner of his eye was the only warning for the dumpster that was lifted off the ground and hurled at the leaping creature.

Dauoa jumped but not before he before catching the second round of gun fire. This one a mixture of embers and flower pedals. Most of the coals bounded off leaving small burn marks on his skin. One particular large piece hit in his mask, getting logged in the space that had snapped earlier.

Jumping at the same time we was not prepared for the dumpster that was thrown at him. With a sikening crunch it hit him and clattered to the ground sending him into a wall. Hitting it he slumped down in a heap fairly able to move through the pain.

The ember biried in the eye was steaming as his blood seeped into it creating smoke. Holding his side he figired he had a couple of broken ribs and possible a arm. Amd he had at least 3 bullets of silver wear in him.

"Stay away from me. " Dauoa croaked out as blood started to drip from his mouth onto the pavement. With only one good eye and arm he sat so he had his good arm out to claw anyone who got close.

" Ha because I kill people, not once did I harm you. In fact I healed you and look where that got me. All of your kind it the same. Back stabbing, heartless people like that woman man thing, bec." Growling out to david he looked him in the eyes with his one good one before turning to Dracula.

"So what now, you have me cornered and weak, You should feel proud. You have officially trapped the only one of my specific kind. You'll have to kill be to get close though." Dauõa fell a little more slumping down into the ground, a small pool of blood forming under him.

Edited by Acornia

David fell back on his butt when the beast leapt over his head at the last moment. His pistols clattered to the pavement and skittered away byhind him. David watched as it seemed the creature would get away...but it was struck down by the dumpster. David cringed as it slammed into the side of the building and slumped to the ground in a heap. Skinner was a professional. Back at the house he explained that he had been hunting dangerous fea his whole life. It defiantly showed as he walked calmly towards the cursing and bleeding monster. David crawled on his hands and knees to locate his lost guns. After he regained his confidence and weapons back, he rose to his feet and began to fiddle with his guns.

David reloaded his pistols with shaky hands. He wasn't cut out for this line of work, he could have been killed by this thing after he used both guns. He dropped the small packages of ammunition into the open barrels of his guns. He flipped the newly installed secondary trigger and bayonets flipped from underneath the barrels in a flash of steel.

" Ha because I kill people, not once did I harm you. In fact I healed you and look where that got me. All of your kind it the same. Back stabbing, heartless people like that woman man thing, bec." It growled at them.

David was genuinely surprised it knew Bec. It also sounded like it knew who he was too. David shook his head, "I think you got me confused with someone else" was all head said. He felt...wrong talking to it.

Skinner, on the other hand, merely meandered over to it.

"So what now, you have me cornered and weak, You should feel proud. You have officially trapped the only one of my specific kind. You'll have to kill be to get close though." It hissed, clearly critically injured.

Skinner frowned. He hadn't expected it to have the ability to speak. That was a note for the books. It was right thought, it was unique. Oh well, He still needed to get paid, "I don't feel bad for you." he said flatly, "Thats fine. What do you think necropsies are for?" He repeated his last phenomenon and a rune on his left forearm began to shiny like mercury. The smashed dumpster was wrapped with threads of purple Exotic Matter and lifted off the ground. The contents spilled onto the ground like entrails of a great animal. He rose the hunk of metal over his head and sat posed to slam it down on the ground.

Fear raked his body, dauoa had never been this close to death before. And unless a clear bout of kindness came from one of these two he would not live to see tomorrow.

And if it wasnt being crushed to death, he would bleed out, for his wounds werent healing as fast as they should have. Out of energy he looked down to the ground, waiting for the crashing of the dumpster. Reaching up he pulled the mask off, sliding it close to dracula.

He felt that he would destroy the mask and stop the possession from Taking over someone else.

"Im sorry" he weezed through labored breaths.

"I know you have no reason to believe me, but if you are going to kill me , break the mask first"dauõa edged it closer to Skinner.

"If you dont it will find someone else to possess with me gone, and they may be a lesser being. If that happens it wont be one or two people a week that dies but whole towns." Curling in on himself he backed away, up to the wall.

Tears sprang to his eyes, he didnt want to die but he didnt see a way to escape the fate of the metal dumpster. And he was young, some many thing he had yet to do.

Glancing at david a genuine but small smile spread over his face.

"What, you look mortified.... maybe. I'm to young to cause you to look that way. But i guess by human standards, or anything that not a monster, I'm old enough. Sorry though, it was nice traveling with you. I had fun." Dauoa head layed out on the pavement, as his version went black from loss of blood.

His heart was still beating but he would have to sleep to recover faster since he hadnt eatten.

Edited by Acornia

Phill began running behind rain, quickly bounding down the stairs and out into the street. He heard the unmistakable sound of david's gunfire and ran towards the sound. Phill was not sure what was going on but he knew if he could grab the attacker he could get rid of them, if his power worked at all.

Phill was not going to lose another person and that was final. Phill turned the corner to where he heard all the comotion and saw the scene of david by skinner, a dumpster in the air and a creature cowering against a wall. Phill let out a low growl to announce his precence to the others "i would like to know what is going on? David are you hurt?" Phill's tails swayed behind him as he was confused but also upset.

Rain fell into step behind phill as he ran past him reaching the entrance of a alley first. The strong smell of blood hit him but also the smell he had come to associate with both david and dauoa.

Joining phill he peered down the alley, spotting david and skinner. A third form lay prone on the ground, not moving at all and the smell of blood seemed to be coming from him.

"So david i have to ask, I was never one to like dauoa but what did he do." He asked as he came closer getting a better look at the 3.

Dauoa looked awful and was going to look worse if skinner dropped the dumpster on him. But he knew that dvaid never attacked unprovoked. Skinner on the other hand was becoming notorious for it .

Skinner's eyebrow shot up as the weindigo removed it's skull mask and slid it towards his feet. The monster immediately began to change back into it's white stag. Skinner was right, it was the fourth friend of David that he had tailed earlier that day.

David was disappointed. He had argued diligently in defense of his friend when Skinner revealed his theory that Dauoa was the killer. David didn't think that was possible. Well there he was, sitting in a pool of black blood where a monster was laying moments before. He wrinkled his nose when he began to plead for pity. He started bringing up their time on the road. If David remembered correctly, he ran off one particular rainy night. "You're not going to make me feel bad for you. We could have helped you if you would have told us"

Skinner had enough. It was bad enough David was still talking to it. Now it seemed they had company.

"i would like to know what is going on? David are you hurt?" Phill called from down the open end of the alley

David's head shot around and caught sight of Rain and Phill coming towards them. How did they find him? Skinner remained focused on the wavering boy on the ground.

"So David i have to ask, I was never one to like Dauoa but what did he do." Rain quipped. Was that a joke?

David turned to Skinner after Dauoa faded to unconsciousness, "Can't we help him? Isn't "Alive" part of the "dead or alive" bounty hunter thing?" David asked.

Skinner sighed and slammed the Dumpster down on the murder.

"Acta carcirim!" He cried just before impact. The metal of the dumpster changed to the consistency of soft rubber. The walls conformed around the boy's figure and trapped him inside. withen seconds, the dumpster was hardened back into steel and the lids have been sealed. He dropped the dumpster cage to the ground and glared at David, "Happy?!? I'll keep him so I can study him for a little while. BUT! I will not be trying to help him, I don't have time to waste on something so hopeless." He scolded. Skinner pulled on a pair of thick leather gloves and retrieved the mask off the ground. He turned it over in his hands, the small runes tattooed down his fingers were glowing like mad, alerting to the dangers of the artifact in his hand. Skinner whistled and stored it in a thick burlap bag he produced from his jacket. He tied the bag to his belt and lifted the dumpster in the air. He gotten what he wanted, now he just needed to prove it to the right people.

Horror lit rains face for all of a moment, he hadnt thought that they would kill dauõa. And rain was still curious as to what had happened. As the dumpster seemed to somewhat liquefy and form around dauoa a sigh escaped.

"Happy?!? I'll keep him so I can study him for a little while. BUT! I will not be trying to help him, I don't have time to waste on something so hopeless." Skinner seemed rather upset to have spared the boy.

"Fine, but still what did he do. And where are you taking him? Back to your place?" The question left rain before he thought better of it. Why did he care, dauoa had always smelled off. Like death in a way.

Rain stepped up to David giving a glance over, he checked out ok.

"You know you must have dont a number on him. All i smell is his blood. Did he even fight back because I dont smell any of your blood around and you look ok."

David Walked over to Phil and David, "Dauoa could turn into a seven foot monster. He ate people and was responsible for a string of brutal murders over the past week. I just found out it was Dauoa when you appeared" David explained. He still couldn't believe it himself.

Skinner outstretched his arm, "recoati manibus!", He said with a sigh. Thin Purple tendrils wound from around his hand and tangled around the makeshift cage. He had never used that formula to do something like this. Usually it was a good way to restrain someone when you don't have any handcuffs. He would have to make a note of this later.

David turned when Skinner raised the dumpster off the ground. While he was preoccupied, David leaned in to Rain, "I just agreed to be a hired gun against a monster. He told me he would do most of the work and he did. Then, he started doing some crazy censorkip.gif. closing alleyways and flinging dumpsters, I didn't really do much other than distract it", he recounted the best he could. Rain's tone sounded suspicious and it made David wary. What did this look like?

Skinner approached the group with on arm held up by his head. Above, the dumpster levitated smoothly. With his free hand, retrieved a pair of cigarettes from his jacket, offered David one, then lighting his own against a glowing rune on the back of his hand,

"Correct. I'm taking him back to my place for observation and storage until the Pacifiers show up for him. Then he's not my problem." he said, each word releasing a puff of bubblegum scented smoke, "Now if you'll excuse me?". Skinner straightened and started walking home.

David stuck his cigarette in his mouth and looked at Rain, "Can I have a light?" he asked, knowing he could make fire from anywhere. Once the distraction was over, David realized Skinner was leaving,

"Hey! Wait! I'm coming with you" David called, following the man with the floating dumpster.

Skinner paused but did not protest. He assumed he wanted to get paid now that his job was done.

Rain watched as a cig was handed to david before skinner started walking away, his job apparently done.

"Can I have a light?" But rain didnt get very far as david noticed Skinners retreat and scrammbled after him. Did he follow for just the payment or to keep a eye on dauoa.

Rain gave in and follow david reaching to drag phill with him. Catching up to davids side a snap of his fingers had the end of davids cig burning bright.

"Are you happy with this, no one besides bec bothered to talk to him. I seems kinda sad to kill him without hearing his end of things, dont you think." Rain was silent for a moment beside david takinging in his face in the moonlight.

"Because you do know there is a good chance the will want to kill him."

Rain sighed and followed the two after his talk with david. He didnt like dauõa but he truthfully didnt have anything against him. If he found out the reason for the things he had done then rain might not be to terribly upset with him. He had to admit both him amd phill had done awful things to people, and sometime it wasnt for survival and they were good people who had gotten in the way.

-----

Dauõa floated in a sea of black, not knowing which way was up or down, right or left. Was he dead, no he could feel the pull of his mask. It was close and not being hurt as he was not in any new pain. Feeling around his body he hissed in pain from the broken bone in his leg. It would by far take the longest to heal, and longer without food.

"Hello, is anyone there?" Dauoa could tell he was stuck in some sort of cage. But for how long he didnt know, it could have been minutes or it could have been hours.

"Hey" reaching out his fingers brushed metal. Raising a fist he hit the wall that held him trapped. He didnt like the dark as it reminded him off all the thing he had done. His mind would play back snap shots of his life on the black background that was infront of his face.

"Please i.... why didnt you destroy the mask." He asked out into nothing. The darkness all but seemed to eat his words as they escaped from his mouth.

Phill was upset, he had felt the same way as dauoa before. Phill had killed so many people he was sure the pacifiers would most likely recognize him if he was there and that would not be good considering he had killed a few of them before he became more subdued and he had seen some photos of himself to the far south of here. Phill was not very talkative as he walked beside rain.

Watching him light david's cig he shook his head. "Many people have done horrible things does that mean they have to be killed? All of us have probably done bad including you skinner, you are doing good to counter act the bad right? Why not let him do the same he was helping us and what if he has no choice? What if he is controlled and has to kill for some reason? We can not just label him as bad and send him to his death or all of us would have to die too you included. I may not be the smartest, i may not be the strongest or have any clue about half the stuff you do but i do know a lot about what a being would do to have a second chance and i believe that he deserves one or at least for us to hear an explenation before deciding." Phill was getting more control by the minute as his powers began to strengthen and manifest. He let his tails sway behind him slowly while he was not sure how this would turn out.

David quietly smoked his cigarette as Rain spoke.

"Are you happy with this, no one besides Bec bothered to talk to him. I seems kinda sad to kill him without hearing his end of things, don't you think."

David gritted his teeth and flattened the filter on his cigarette. Seriously? This kids are doing this now? He was threatening the chance of them getting paid for David's work.

David stopped dead and glared down at the two kitsunes, "Now I'm only going to say this once. I. Was. Hired. To. Catch. A. Serial. Killer." he enunciated each word to make sure they heard him, "I was not hired to get his side of the story, to feel bad for him, to contemplate the justice system, or my own moral standings. I did my job and brought a killer to justice. Now if you guy's aren't going to be any help why are you here?" David was really getting annoyed with the contradictory ideals of his travel companions. Neither one of them liked Dauoa or anyone else in the party for that matter. They only clung to each other and only each other. If David said that a member of their party was a shape shifting monster that ate innocent people, he thought they would at least take his side. David felt betrayed. He puffed up to say something else back to his hardheaded friends (David wasn't even sure if he could use that word anymore)

A loud, metallic bang interrupted their argument as Skinner had enough and dropped the dumpster on the street. He could hear the subject inside banging around but didn't care. The scumbag has been turning people inside out for a week, Skinner didn't have any remorse for him.

"Alright! Everyone shut the hell up!" he roared over the noise, "I asked for you lot's help because I thought you might need some extra cash. Now what I'm seeing is you're a bunch of morally misaligned jackasses. I'm a crooked man. I have my flaws but I own it. All I hear from you is a bunch of hot air and excuses." He took a breath, having made up his mind, "Congrats David. Your friends managed to change my mind. I am NOT taking this murder back to my place to see if there is a way to separate the curse from the subject. Instead, I'm taking him to the Pacifiers and letting them make the decision". Skinner drew a piece of chalk and scribbled a circle ringed with a few runes on the side of the dumpster. The air sparked with exotic matter and Skinner wrapped his jacket around himself. The jacket continued to wrap and wrap until Skinner did not exist anymore. The dumpster had also faded from view. David, Rain and Phill were left standing on the streets alone.

David ran forward to stop him but the objects vanished before he could reach them. He was left clutching air with a metallic taste in his mouth. David swore and kicked a few pebbles on the ground, "I didn't even get paid!" he yelled after the man, knowing he was too far away to hear him. David ran his hand though his hair and let out a heavy sigh. Everything would have worked out if Rain and Phill didn't try to be righteous. David didn't look back, he just walked off. He needed to cool down or he was going to say something he would regret.

((Excuse me for slight godmode ? to protect this and realign the story slightly))

Phill growled lowly and spoke up as soon as skinner did "look i am sorry but you need to understand that he has helped us so i am unsure whats going on and dont want him hurt. I dont want anyone hurt." Phill slid over just as skinner grabbed his cloke andbroke the chalk circle shattering the magic seal though it sent extreme pain through his body.

He looked up at skinner and david both with electricity sparking off of him from the pain. "First david should get paid, he helped you, whether we like it or not does not matter, he did a job he deserves to be paid for it. Secondly i want to apologize since i had no idea you were going to see if you could help i figured you were just going to do what you did to us then send him away. If you want to hurt me more go ahead but please pay david and help dauoa if you can, at least try to help him, i know i am annoyingbut i want whats best for everyone in the group even bec if we can ever find her again."

Phill looked at david then down. "I am sorry for all of the trouble i have caused you, is there any way i can repay you?" Phill looked at david giving a small sigh unsure what else to say. "Uhm i know you probably will refuse but maybe if we ever get free time we could train? I don't know you that well and that i have been distant i just don't trust easilly i guess but i want to learn more about where your from and why you closed one eye at me and what that mean..if i live from skinner."

Skinner materialized in his living room without incident. If you don't consider breaking your coffee table with a dumpster an incident. Skinner groaned and walked up to the Dumpster cage where his newest subject was being kept. Skinner still had every intention of paying the man who helped me. The sudden appearance of his friends had changed his plans slightly. They had some nerve preaching to him about what was right. He didn't know how anyone could find out that someone has been killing and eating people then argue motives with the man who saved the city.

That being said, Skinner was interested in something the boy said right before he blacked out from bloodloss.

He said he was the only one of his species.

Now usually when someone says that Skinner thinks it's bull****. After all, this boy aligns with the physiology and hunting patterns of a weindigo. The mask is what was interesting him. He had never met one that's curse was contained within an artifact.

The inky darkness inside the cage was banished by soft oil light as Skinner peeled the metal back with a phrase muttered in his strange language. Skinner's thin form blocked the exit to the cage. They just sat their, looking at each other, for about a minute. The boy was in rough shape. He was sure shifting back was a defense mechanism. He was talking about how young he looked like that changed what he was. His boyish form was probuallly to keep people like him from finishing him off. Skinner was unsire if it was working.

There was a flash of metal as Skinner lunged into the cage. He clicked a pair of bonding shackles around the boy's wrist's and hauled him out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David didn't stop walking but he heard everything Phill was saying. He clinched his fist and ground his teeth against the urge to respond with his own venom. Training!?! Did he really think that training would fix this? goddamn.

The pair was never like this when they were traveling. David had excused the terrible things they had done on the road because they claimed their traits and flaws. Rain murdered an entire caravan and torched a town but David wasn't about to turn him in for it. Rain had explained what happened and why and they went about their day. No excuses, no moral argument, no realignment conversation. Just conversation and explanation. David respected Rain for that.

Phill, on the other hand, was driving him up the wall. He honestly though that more talking was the thing to solve this. They already ruined the job by showing up, why were they going to tourture David more? He needed to find a place to get a drink and cool down. Otherwise, he was going to knock Phill's front teeth out. David turned the corner and headed deeper into the city. He hoped a tavern would be close by.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skinner clipped the bandage with a pair of tarnished scissors and adhered it to the rest of the compress. He had drug the pleading Wiendigo into his shop and handcuffed him to his examination table in the middle of the room. It was bolted to the floor so Skinner wasn't worried about him running off. He couldn't get out of his house anyway, he just didn't want a monster loose in his neighborhood on earth.

Skinner had gone to work patching up the boy's injuries and using XM to dull the pain the best he could. Skinner never officially took the Hippocratic Oath but adhered to his all the same. He wasn't about to lock up a subject with injuries like that. He wouldn't have a subject long if he did.

Skinner sat back in his chair and looked the boy over. He had been gentle while working on him, a stark contrast to the man that pummeled him with a trash can minutes before. On the table behind him sat the burlap bag with the mask in it. Skinner rolled towards it and retrieved it from the table. He pulled it out and turned it over in a gloved hand. He studied the surface and interior, looking for signs of it's origin or creation. They weren't as obvious as he hoped so Skinner finally looked up, "You wanna tell me the story of this?" he asked, holding up the mask for Dauoa to see.

Edited by padfoot

((Said he lost control of it and i thought i said powers were gone until the new tail then its uncontrolable for a while.))

Phill sighed as he couldn't do anything about it. He had wanted to try and fix his mistakes since they caused trouble but that was not able to happen. He slammed his foot down growling as electricity shot from his tail hitting a bulding and causing a loud crack as the lightning hit the building and opened a new door into it. Phill was surrounded in a veil of lightning as he turned and ran away, the fact that his powers were out of his control and reacting to his emotions caused more loud cracks to follow the first one followed by a few screams that were heard barely over the loud cracks of lightning.

He just wanted to do the right thing, was that so bad? He was beyond angry and he walked now he had ran at full speed and was almost on the other side of town within thirty minutes taking any alley or shortcut to lose rain. He was lost now walking the dark streets of what seemed to be the rough side of the city. Phill wore his hood up and had it covering his golden eyes that were slits from the anger and disappointment he felt. He walked down an alley and saw a group of people who were huddled around a fire, phill walked towards the fire for some more warmth. He pushed a guy out of the way and stood taking in the heat, his eyes glowing slightly in the dark light. One of the others told phill to get lost and pushed him.

Phill gave a long low growl as he was pushed back. The smaller kitsune jumped up on top of the guy who pushed him clawing and electricuting him at the same time. The others tried to pull him off but were electricuted once they touched phill. He pulled out his dagger once they were dead. He cut an x over each eye, cut their throats, then finally set the bodies on their backs. He took all of their money which seemed to be a good amount considering they probably knew who to steal from. He had them all on their backs just like he used to from instinct. He took his blood soaked hoody off and lowered his head. He put it in his backpack and walked away. His tails still sparked with electricity but he needed time to think. Phill walked until he found another tavern of sorts and walked in. He got himself some fries and began eating, he hated how he was and faught it every chance he got but he was left with nothing but pain and uncertainty.

Rain watched the whole show happen a few feet from him, jumping slightly as skinner slamed the dumpster on the ground. His face was contorted in aggravation and anger, it was apparent he was not happy about the conversation playing out behind him and rain picked up on that quickly.

"Alright! Everyone shut the hell up!" His voice bumming down the street calling for silence.

"I asked for you lot's help because I thought you might need some extra cash. Now what I'm seeing is you're a bunch of morally misaligned jackasses. I'm a crooked man. I have my flaws but I own it. All I hear from you is a bunch of hot air and excuses." Skinners rant went on as his anger grow, causing Rain to stand in place, contemplating his words.

Grumbling under his breath he watched with steely eyes as skinner drew something on the dumpster and disappeared. His cape wrapping around him into oblivion until he was gone from site.

Yes phill had pointed out that they had all dont stuff and so had rain, but he had his reasons and what he didnt have to explain they had been there to see first hand. Dauõa on the other hand never said anything to them about his personal life, for the reasons he did what he did.

Now it was to late, he would have to wait and see what happened. If he ever seen dauoa running around again then he would know he had survived, if not thwen he could only assume that he had never gotten the chance for change. For someone to help, but maybe it was justice. Only time would tell.

"I didn't even get paid!" Rain looked over at david as he kicked the ground and walked off. He was made and rain could understand that. He would be in the same boat if he had done a job, didnt matter if he liked it or not, he would have been pissed if he never got payed. The best thing rain could do for him would be to let him cool down and try to talk to him later.

" Sorry" he know that david probably couldn't hear him, later he would have to apologize properly. Now he wished he had never gotten involved. If he had never gone down the alley he would never had known that dauoa had died. He would have just assumed he left the party for good.

"Come on phill, let him have his space. I think he needs the time alone. We'll talk more tomorrow and both of us should apologize to him." Turning on his heels he glanced around not seeing phill, he must have run off. Great the party was split and torn, they were weak at this point. It wouldnt take much to pick them off if someone wanted to.

"Just be careful guys" he said out into the night before heading back to the inn. They would come back on their own, he hoped.

If he though today was rough, tomorrow was going to be worse.

--------

Dauõa felt the container his the ground roughly, jarring his wounds, aggravating some and opening them back up. Pain raced up his leg and arm, his chest hurt when he inhaled. It felt like he had a couple of bruised ribs that hadn't healed completely. The arm and leg where most likely a complete break, they would take longer to heal. And his eye hurt, upon feeling it with his fingers of his good hand the ember from earlier must have been actual metal. After cooling it had left a small metal strip fused with his skin, just under his eye. But that is what happens when you play baseball with a metal dumpster vs. flesh. And quick draw with a gun.

"Ow, someones rough."

A sickening nausea rolled over him, feeling like the world was warping around him. Even though he couldnt see anything it was still a feeling he wished never to experience again.

But just like that it was gone. No more did his stomach try to climb out of his throat. But the feeling was replaced with another of falling as the cage landed roughly yet again.

A speck of light caught his attention as his vision was soon cleared of the dark. The cage had been opened and light poured in. Dracula from earlier mover into his line of sight as he worked on getting his vision to clear enough to see well. But him being in the ay of the light helped.

But he just stood there looking at him, was he waiting for him to make a break for it. Its not like he could go amywhere with his leg, that's another 2 1/2 weeks to heal fully. That was without food. maybe he was contemplating on how to kill him or dissect him in some gruesome way.

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dauõa's eyes went wide as dracula leaped into the cage with him, who held his arm out in protection. Normally he wouldn't scream but after the little staring contest he wasnt expecting it. His other arm was grabbed and cold iron shackled were snapped onto his wrists. Pain raked up his arm from the mishandling and it only got worse as Dracula started to drag him off into a smaller room.

It was filled with odd objects but a large metal table in the middle was what caught his attention. He was taken and his shackles where latched to the table. Dauoa leaned close to releave some of the pressure off of his arm and leg, but found that it only helped marginally.

Dracula disappeared and came back a couple of seconds later with some bandages and what looked and smelled like medician. Tentatively dauõa shuffled away but couldnt go very far, panic sturing as he got closer. He was so weak in this form and he had just had the censorkip.gif beat out of him by this guy. But when he made no move to hurt him and just took some of the bandages and wrapped some of the easier wounds to get to dauoa calmed down.

Shivering slightly as he had lost his short and at the gentleness of the hands taking care of him dauoa relaxed. He was still leery of him but it he wanted to hurt him anymore he would have. It wasnt like he could get away. And the medication he had been given helped with a lot of the pain, causing him to sit on the table in a shocked silence at the man.

"Why are you being so gentle, it's.....odd. " dauõa looked down at the table away from Dracula's face.

He must have finished the last of bandaging his wounds as he leaned back. Either he hant heard dauõa or he was ignoring him, and he was going with the second as he watched his eyes slide to the burlap sack next to him. When Dracula reached for it and pulled out his mask dauoa strained against his restraints. But he could only watch helplessly as it was turned around and looked over in his hands.

Why hadnt he destroyed it, given it would kill him, but it would not be a good idea to have that just laying about in a sack.

"You wanna tell me the story of this?" He seemed more curious than blood thirsty at the moment which dauoa couldnt turn down. But how much did he want to tell him. Its not like he was going to help him in the long run. Yes he had just bandaged him up but that could have been because he was afraid that he would bleed out. Given even dauoa had thought he would have, but luckily his healing had kicked in.

"It's a mask, and my darker power. It's what allows me to transform. " Glancing back up he meet his eyes and held them. He wasnt sure what all information he would want anyway, because there was a lot and to start at the beginning would take all night.

"Why do you care, I thought your goal was to kill the murderer in new mesa. And obviously Dracula, you failed." In a quieter voice as he looked back at the ground on his other, like it would help him.

"I mean, you still could. Whats the purpose of keeping me hear alive when you have necropsies to use on dead things." A huff left him as he moved around to get comfortable as much as he could. He wasnt going anywhere anytime soon, he knew that and so did Dracula.

Edited by Acornia

Phill had been out at the tavern for a long time and had ordered a drink along with the fries. He stood up slowly and paid for his food. He was worried though, he always wore that hoodie even to bed and they would know that something was wrong. Phill gave a long sigh as he rubbed his forhead thinking maybe rain would be asleep. He walked slowly out of the bar the electricity gone because his anger was gone as well.

Phill walked towards the inn they were at before. Phill saw people going into the alley to see what happened though it wasn't a big crowd due to it being nighttime. Phill took his time but eventually he found the inn they were staying at. Phill walked in while giving a small nod to the person at the counter. He walked up the stairs and made his way up to their room. He quietly opened the door trying not to be noticed by rain. Phill luckily didn't have any bruises or blood on his face and his blade and hoody were hidden in the bag but he still did not want to face rain at the moment.

"Why are you being so gentle, it's.....odd. " the boy said from his table.

Skinner's eyes darted up from the mask, "Well...I'm a doctor and a scientist before I am law enforcement" he explained briefly. Skinner rose from his seat and crossed the room, taking the mask with him. He rummaged in drawers and cabinets until he finally found what he was looking for. He brought a wooden, hexagonal box over to the examination table and set it beside the boy. He flipped a latch on one side and swung the lid open.

"Why do you care, I thought your goal was to kill the murderer in new mesa. And obviously Dracula, you failed." He said quietly.

Skinner chuckled softly, "Don't tempt me." he said, waggling a finger, "Truth is, I think I can help you. It's a condition I have for the city hiring me. I'll catch their dangerous criminals but I get to keep them. Think of it as...catch and release program"

Skinner dropped the mask into the box and shut the lid. The outside was painted flat black and appeared to be made of stone instead of wood. Skinner began to draw symbols around the outside as Dauoa began to speak, "I'm going to try to reverse this curse. It's a direct link to your spirit, right? Good thing for you is that there is no such thing as a soul." Skinner siad with a smile.

To aid is explanation, Skinner drug out his chalkboard and notebooks on fae.

....so you see. I have a theory that the mask doesn't have any control on you at all. For example, you tell me that if you don't eat a human in two weeks, you die. Well have you ever been killed by this? Normal wendigos can't shift to a human form to hunt. Instead, it's like a slow release zombie plague. The longer they remain alive and continue feeding, the stronger the curse gets. That box is a xm signal dampening container. It's basically a Faraday cage for cursed artifacts." Skinner was not done with his explanation as he stepped forward to tap the lid of the box, "So if you are a wendigo and this mask is a vessel for that curse you're actually to luckiest cursed individual that I have ever met. You see, the manipulative force is outside your body, which means you, as a person, are not tainted. The mask and it's power is addictive, literally. Killing is triggering the reward centers in your brain and that feeling that you want to die is withdraw symptoms. It is manipulating you to keep the curse alive, like a virus it's using you to kept it safe until it can evolve again." Skinner took a heavy seat in the rolling chair behind him and looked the boy in the eye, "If I turn this on, it's going to cut any mnemonic connecting it will have with you. I don't know what that's going to do to you but there is a chance you'll walk away from this never having to serve the wendigo you killed again"

Skinner knew that he could be wrong and it could actually kill him but he didn't say anything. The kid was dead anyway if this didn't work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David sat perched on a bar stool and ordered a second drink. He had located a no name bar a few blocks away from where he left Phill and Rain. It was a nice joint, low lighting and soft music gave the interior a cozy air. David was defiantly beginning to calm down now that he had a drink in him. Rain and Phill were trying to do the right thing, David knew that, but so was he. He saw the photos of the crime scenes Skinner had. They bodies didn't look like they could have been people. That wasn't half as horrible as the thought of Him sleeping inches away the night before. looking back, David was sure if Dauoa would have explained his situation to the group, they would have helped keep him safe once they got to New Mesa. Instead he made the bad decision to bolt and go on a killing spree in a large city. David sighed and downed the last of his drink. He wanted to leave but didn't want to see Phill or Rain just yet. David put on his hat and left the bar.

After wandering for as long as he could stand, David made his way to an establishment that had exotic dancers. The color changing lights and upbeat music had drawn him in like a moth to a flame.

Now he was stilling at a short table while a very beautiful human woman danced on the stage in front of him. The bar was mostly empty. Only three or four dancers were on the floor entertained a few scattered patrons. The woman keeping him company was short, about five foot and some change, with bright lavender hair that was cut short around her ears. She wasn't wearing much but David guessed that was part of the appeal. the woman crouched in front on him and looked him over,

"you alright honey?" she asked with a furrowed brow.

David was surprised at the question. Most clubs like this he had been to the women wouldn't speak unless you paid her to say something. This one was acting...almost motherly.

David sighed and sat back to preserve her personal space, "Well...sorta. It's a long story. Do you know any place that would put me up for the night?"

The woman's face softened to genuine concern at David's statement. She snapped her fingers and smiled a seductive smile. She checked the clock hanging over the door and clicked her tongue, "If you stick around till my shift is over you can shack up at my place."

A grin slowly stretched across his face, "I think I can wait for a few hours".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before Skinner vanished, before David walked away and before Phill ran off to have his tantrum, Aa single black raven hung in the air above the rooftops. It had been watching the group since the kitsunes left the Inn. It seemed that their intel was correct, The three were in contact with Luke Skinner. The raven croaked in the night and the man controlling the bird rubbed his eyes. The spell to link the vision of man and bird was painful the longer it went on. This man, dressed in dark robes with a red insignia on his back, had been at it for almost nineteen straight hours. He had been following the subjects since they arrived in New Mesa. The Leader of a caravan to the North warned the group that there were three travelers looking to stop the destruction of Nalom.

He was a coordinator, instructed to observe the group until the time was right. Since they were all running in opposite directions, this seemed like the best time...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David and the womna from the club, her name was Uttara, walked down the quiet streets of New Mesa towards her apartment near the edge of the district. They were laughing and talking, not paying attention to the men closing in on them from behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nearly at the same moment, me began to close in on Rain as well. Their orders were clear, quick kill, no capture. The boss wanted this delt with as quickly as possible to avoid anymore upsets in the plan. One of the men in black crept up behind Rain brandishing a cursed dagger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Uttara screamed a warning when she noticed the man drawing closer behind them in the reflecting on a store window they passes. David whirled around just as the man moved to plunge the blade into his spine and end his life. Daivd spun away, flinching when the knife caught the fabric of his shirt and tore a sizable gash in the front. David went for his classic ace in the hole. A deffinaing boom echoed through the quiet streets as David pressed the opeing to the man's stomach and pulled the trigger, blowing a hole clean through him. The men that went unnoticed before were sprayed with their comrade's blood as they froze in shock. They hadn't gotten any warning this man was a magic user. They were told he was a regular human. David tossed the empty gun to Uttara, "Pour something down the barrel. Anything! There isn't much time" he hissed as he drew his second gun and leveled it at each man, daring one to make a move.

It wasn't long before one of the men cried out and lunged for Daivd. David fired off his second gun but at the last moment something hard and dull collided with his hand. His shot went wild and only clipped the man charging him with a long sword. A second man had flanked around his left with some kind of spiked club. Skinner pulled the second trigger on his gun and released the blades on the end.

The held up the weapon and blocked the man's sword with a shower of sparks and the sound of metal scraping metal. A blossom of pain welled in his left side as the second man took a swing at his ribs with the club. He could feel the short spikes biting into his flesh, bringing welts of blood that stained his shirt when he twisted away. Uttara Whistled and threw the pistol at him. He caught it and blew away the man with the sword who was rushing him again. David traded his empty gun and used the one Uttara threw against the guy with the club. David ducked around the man's swing and sank the bayonet between the man's fifth and sixth rib. The man coughed up a wad of blood and David pushed him away. He turned to Uttara and smiled, forgetting there was originally three attackers. The third man was in David's face in an instant. He smeared the blood of his fallen comrade across David's face. David sputtered and back away, rubbing the wetness on his face and checking it on his fingers. Blood?

The man began to chant in a strange language. As soon as the lyric's started, David's spine contorted and he dropped to the ground screaming in agony. It was unlike anything he had ever felt in his life. It was as if his insides were being lit on fire. It was like the largest cramp he had ever experienced. The man stepped forward and David could only watch as he pulled a long, silver dagger from his sleeve and hold it over his head.

There was another boom and the side of the man's head exploded into a fine red mist. The pain stopped as quickly as it started, leaving David to pant on the dirty ground. Uttara stepped over to him and helped him to his feet carefully. One of his smoking pistols clutched in her hand, "I watched you do it and it seemed easy," he said quietly. The mood had taken a drastic turn since he had been attacked.

David bent over the body and ripped away a patch on one of the arms of the robes the attackers were wearing. He stuffed it in his pocket without looking at it and followed Uttara to her home. Hopefully to get some sleep. Although, David wouldn't mind staying up for a little bit longer.

(((Alright Acornia, one assassin brigade. Do with them as you will smile.gif )))

Dauoa watched as the man walked walked around the room, rummaging around in cabinets amd shelves as if looking for something. A couple of seconds later he returned to the table dauoa was chains to with a box, it reminded him of a ladies hat box.

"Don't tempt me." Skinner wiggled a finger in dauoas face as he flipped the switch, opening the lip and placing the mask inside."Truth is, I think I can help you. It's a condition I have for the city hiring me. I'll catch their dangerous criminals but I get to keep them. Think of it as...catch and release program"

"So you mean that if this works, I'm free to go." Skepticism creeped into his voice. He finished listening to Skinners explanation of what the box did and how he was cursed and the way the box would help.

It seemed almost far fetched, there was no was that it was that easy. And even if it was the spirit in it would never let him go that easily. But skinner seemed sure on his idea and Dauõa knew that he knew more on magic and thing of the sort than him. He could tell from the actions he had taken and being in this room.

"Will it damage the mask. Because I am tied to it."dauõa pointed up to his eye, tracing thw large gash that skinner had bandged. It was one of the few thing left that had not healed.

"This gash here was caused when I droke the eye well off of the mask. Any damage done to it will come back to me, and even if by some far chance this does work, I highly doubt that the spirit would let me go. Its more likely to take me with it than let me live freely again." Dauõa sat quietly for a moment, thinking.

"It there any questions you want me to answer before you do... whatever you are going." He figured that if skinner was going to do this then he would answer anything that was asked, in the hopes that should skinner ever be faced with another wendigo he would know some things. Dauoa had been more focused on getting away and he wasnt at full strength. He was sure that if he had been david or skinner might not be alive.

"And if by some chance this doesnt work....... what will happen." Dauoa already knew the answer to that but he needed skinner to say it. It was a finality in a way, stating that there was no escape from fate for him.

------

Rain had meandered his way back to the inn, trugging up the steps and down the hall then up the last set of steps. Walking into the room rain plopped down on the bed closest to the door.

Staring up at the ceiling he womdered at the other two of his party. Where they ok or did they get into some trouble, both seemed to attract it. And both had a uncanny ability to clean up the mess they made, although not nicely.

David was rough around the edges and he seemed to pull his guns first and ask questions later. Mostly he had no qualms about hurting someone to get what he wanted.

Phill on the other hand he had mostly seen as a gentle soul. Sometimes a wicked undertone would pop through from time to time but never enough to worry rain.

After a hour when neither david or phill came back rain grew restless. The absence of two people who had been with him for the past two or three weeks had his nerves on end. Swinging his legs off the bed rain stood and made his way back out into the streets. Execise would help to calm his nerves.

Stepping back out into the night rain turned to the left amd set out at a brisk jog. If he was lucky, he would run into either one and see if they were ok.

Transversing the streets rains mind was racing as fast as his feet were running. Flyimg over the cobble stones and dirt when he came to it. With each step a new thought or prospective would make itself know. Plaguing his mind and keeping his attention from his surroundings.

Tsk.....

Pain shot through rains side as he stumbled to the pavement. Rolling to the side he starred down at a small knife in his side. If it had been over a inch he would be dead. How had he not noticed someone trailing him, had he grown that lax in his training that he was slow on the uptake.

"Ha that was easy enough, remember me bloody rain. You should I trained with you on occasion." Rain glance into the night his eyes picking up 2 figures. One held back while the speaker padded to him in lightly clothed feet.

Tristan.... he was a a student of alicard, who was a friend of lucian, his master.

"You know I never though I would see you again after lucian kicked you out"

Rain reached down pulling the knife out, while struggling to his feet. He didnt say anything, he didnt have to. He and Tristan had always disagreed on just about everything. They were complete opposites, like fire and water. Both destructive forces not to be Wreckened with.

Starring into his eyes the fight was on, two equally powerful people pitted against each other. A slight movement in Tristan's ankle was all the warning rain got as he flew to him hamd poised in the air, another knife warmed by his skin that rain didnt see him grab.

Thrusting the blade up he aimed for rains stomach. Side stepping rain brought his fist up into his gut, falling foward when he dodged. Continuing uing foward a pace, piviting on the balls of his feet he was once again facing him.

"Come on red, surely you can do better." He taunted rain, making his blood boil. He hated the nicknames he was given, because they straightened the ties between himself and what he was known for.

Rain lunged foward aiming to strick in the neck with the dagger but changed to swipping his feet out and knocking Tristan flat.

The fight continued on like this for a little while, niether landing a blow, besides the one rain already had. Both were evenly matched. Deciding it was time to leave rain dropped to avoid a fist aiming for his face and let the fire in his veins bleed out. A wall of red and orange encircled him, eating at any and all flammable substances around.

He knew it was a low call but he needed the upper hand to survive this fight. Anad it worked as Tristan covered his face with his hands rain shot out and buried this dagger onto the side of tristans head.

He dropped like a rock and rain was left panting in the burnt streets. Blood soaking down his side and srickling down to the pavement leaving crimson drops in his wake. Glancing around rain started down a random street hoping to find david or phill. There had been another with Tristan but he was gone now, fear weld up. Had he gone after the other two.

Cletching his side he passed by some bars and taverns, some he could see in others the windows where either to small or to dirty.

"Davvvvviiiiiidddddddd, phiiilllllll" rain screamed onto the dark damp air of the night. Go figures that he would get a trained assassin and not just someone who was hired to do the dirty work. But if there had been one there where more. Caution left rain as the wind blew gently taking it with it.

So what if the found him again. He would survive because he wanted to see david again, he needed to apologize to him and just be a better friend. He still had to see phill and he didnt want to leave him. The blood had slowed but he was wobbly from blood loss and frantic with worry over phill and david.

((((( I know there was only one but I figured it was a good way to tie rain into the 'dark side.' I do plan on having lucian come back in. If you want to have him come at you character thats fine. Hes a tall cremey white haired tan skinned and red eyed guy. Hes a air elemental, but he will be aiming for phill amd david first because he draws enjoyment from watching rain suffer since rain basically abandoned him. At least thats how he sees it since rain quit killing for him and his people.))))

Edited by Acornia