ShadowMonster

Nalom

Phill followed rain down the steps while watching rain. They were attacked but for the most part they were killed for it. Phill knew more would probably attack them but he had no idea how to get information on them. He listened to rain who voiced concern about who attacked them. "I have no clue, probably some sort of group of assasins though i have no clue what they would gain from killing us. I don't like the idea either unless maybe someone from the caravan survived and hired them."

Phill walked out into the street while dodging around the large groups of people crowding the street. He looked at the banner and tilted his head unsure what it meant. He walked in and sat beside rain. He smiled as food and a drink were set in front of him. He began alowly eating his food as his tails swayed behind him.

Rain waited a couple of minutes before turning to phill. He appeared intent on eatting his food while glancing around the bar. There where quite a few people but it was a given if today was so kind of day of celebration. Sneaking a glance back at phill rain ate quietly, only breaking the silence with a question.

"So what's our plans for today. I dont really want to leave david but I dont want to stick around forever if he left us. I mean he was pretty mad at us last night." David had never struck rain as the kind of guy who would do that but they didnt know that much about him. Rain himself had never taken the time to get to know him. He still cated and at this point david felt kind of like family, so rain didnt really care what had happened in the past as long as david was there with them in the here and now.

Taking one last look at phill he smiled as music picked up in the back of the place. It brought back the time that they had danced around the bon fire at the caravan. He may not have liked what had happened but that particular moment was nice. He remembered the way phill had smelt and felt against his skin before his next partner whisked him away. It was a fun memory, one that made him smile and laugh while recalling it.

(((The point SKinner was trying to make is that after Daoua attacks someone, they are so badly maimed that there is no way to identify the bodies or investigate the crime scene)))

"Ok I'm sorry. Mindless killing machine from now on." the boy fired back.

Skinner sighed and shook his head, "Be serious, Daoua. The city is calling for a public execution. Something messy. I am not a miracle worker. Most of the people I try to rehabilitate get eaten by the system and put to death before I can make any real progress." This boy's case was unique since he had an unassuming form and a cursed artifact. Skinner could usually spin that in a positive light.

"Huh? Oh the honey? I have a brownie living in my house so I trade honey for chores" he explained. Within the hour, a creature that's so quick it's invisible will finish the dishes and lick the bowl clean. Skinner was unsure if the Brownie in his home came from Earth or Nalom. Skinner has never seen either species so it's impossible to tell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David must have just missed Rain and Phil. He was standing in their attic room, checking for clues to where they might have gone. When his search turned up empty, He changed his cloths and left the room.

When he got to the lobby there was a man with a deer carcass slung over the counter. David raised an eyebrow but didn't pay it much mind. The Inn probably paid hunters to bring them a share so they could have fresh meat. The cadaver looked thin and a little grey. Whether it was from the plague or death he was not sure. David was impressed anything could be hunted at all. Despite that, he still wasn't going to eat the venison.

David stepped from the inn and looked both ways down the street. He didn't have a clue where they would have gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skinner stopped dead at the bottom of the stairs when his eyes fell onto the Faraday cage on the floor. Skinner's eyes rose with fury collapsing his brow. He glared at Daoua and picked the box up off the ground and checked it over. There wasn't any major damage, lucky for both of them. Skinner replaced it on one of the desks ringing his work space. He cleaned his glasses on his shirt and sat down in front of Daoua.

"Now, do you really think that was a good idea? In less than an hour you have taken me from hopeful about your case to hopeless. You show signs of disassociation with those around you which will already not help you out. What were you trying to do? Get your mask and kill me?" Skinner asked, ready to take notes on his answer. Which, will go into deciding what Skinner does next,

"Or I can just call the Pacifiers now and give the city what it wants" He said coldly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the music in the tavern began, A waiter dressed in the uniform of the Tavern slipped into the seat next to Phil. He had dazzling violet eyes and a spiky patch of black hair on top of his head. He leaned his elbow on the table nonchalantly, "Hey guys. What have you been up to?" he asked with a white smile. A small bird charm sung away from his chest and dangled over the table.

Edited by padfoot

"Now, do you really think that was a good idea? In less than an hour you have taken me from hopeful about your case to hopeless. You show signs of disassociation with those around you which will already not help you out. What were you trying to do? Get your mask and kill me?" Dauõa had to think on his answer, did he want to kill skinner. No not really, if he could have gotten his mask he would ha e waited until the first opportunity and left. Not just skinners place but all of new mesa.

"Or I can just call the Pacifiers now and give the city what it wants" The threat was real and hung in the air. It gave reason for Dauõa to really pause, yes he had known what he was doing but he could help the feelings starting to bubble from being separated from his mask.

"No. I don’t kill everyone I meet. Ask Bec if you ever get the chance to meet her...him....it. And I liked her, that’s the reason i didn’t kill her and i like you too. Truthfully if I had gotten my mask then when the chance presented itself I would have left. And not just here but all of new mesa." Ringing his fingers in his shirt and looking at the floor Dauõa hung his head. He felt like a scolded child, but in reality compared skinner he was.

"Its just.... I haven’t been separated from it for more than a hour or so. Usually when I bath or something, and I've been without it for like 16 hours."

"And besides I think we know who has the advantage here. Not me." Dauõa waved to his arm and leg getting his point across.

"What are my chances of surviving the pacifiers." Depression set into him as he looked at a possible impending doom. But glancing up ad skinner was like glancing at the moon on a dark night. He was the only hope Dauõa had at surviving.

"I know I’ve probably asked before. But why do you help people like me. Wouldn't it have been easier to just turn me in." Hunching over a little he fiddled with his shirt, dependent on skinners answer to be kind like he has been so far.

Brightening a little he decides to change the subject, tired of talking about himself or dying. "So you've asked me plenty of questions now its my turn. How did you get where you are today, and is science something anyone can learn. Can you teach it to me."

-------

Rain noticed a new comer taking a seat on the other side of Phill. He seemed to either know him or have taken an interest in him, which rain didn’t like. But he was in no shape to fight. Instead he stood and clamped a hand on Phill's shoulder, leaning into his ear he whispered softly "I'm going to go pack our stuff and get it ready to travel come back to the inn in a little bit.

Standing from his stool rain placed some copper coins down before leaving. Crossing the street he entered the inn. The counter man was gone but the smell of cooking meat told him what he was up to. He must have disappeared into the back to cook or he was running trays to rooms of food.

Headed on his way he climbed to the attic and opened the door. Nothing had changed in the room other than some dirty clothes that where strung here and there. Quickly rain set to getting things together, at one point running down stairs to inquire about washing cloths.

Edited by Acornia

Phill looked down as rain began speaking about plans and leaving. Phill felt uncomfortable leaving the other people even if he had more than likely angered them. Phill shook his head "i feel that we should at least leave a note in the room for david to find and tel him we may leave tonight and tell him we will wait somewhere to meet him? I mean that way if he wants to come he can but if he is too angry he does not need to."

Phill saw rain laughing and smiling which made him smile in response. Hearing the music he remembered the dancing and how much fun it was to dance with rain and probably would have been fun with david too, maybe not as fun since david was much taller but still.

Phill watched as rain walked out to go pack up some things and get ready to move on. Phill watched as a waitor walked over and sat beside him. He tilted his head as the waitor talked to them. Rain had left but phill scratched his chin as he looked into the violet eyes with his golden ones. He knew something was off with a waitor acting this friendly so he took a wild educated guess. "Are you bec? It has been a while and it is hard for me to tell, nice necklace though where did you get it?"

Skinner couldn't tell if he was going into some sort of defense because Skinner was angry or if he was actually sorry.

"No. I don’t kill everyone I meet. Ask Bec if you ever get the chance to meet her...him....it. And I liked her, that’s the reason i didn’t kill her and i like you too. Truthfully if I had gotten my mask then when the chance presented itself I would have left. And not just here but all of new mesa."

Skinner blew out a puff of air and a smile tugged at the corner of his mouth, "Well you're in luck in that respect. Part of my deal with the city is that you are never allowed back in New Mesa again." He said. Skinner hadn't told him because he was unsure of his situation. Now that it was apparent that he didn't want to stick around anyway. If Skinner was any worse at his job, He might have seen the last of him the night he caught him. That or he would be dead.

"Its just.... I haven’t been separated from it for more than a hour or so. Usually when I bath or something, and I've been without it for like 16 hours." he said.

Skinner nodded and scribbled something on the next page of the notebook, "That's good. That's really good actually. You are showing less of a dependence than I expected. Besides, I'm working on something to make it easier on you." The boy asked what his chances with the Pacifiers was, he frowned, "Not very good. They are a militant police force. It's basically marshal law around here" he explained. They wouldn't even give him a fair trial. Skinner shrugged and went to retrieve the faraday cage from where he left it. He waved his hand over the top and the latch flipped open. He retrieved the mask from inside and brought it over to the table. He set it on his the small table next to his chair "Five minutes, It's like part of you'r treatment. Speaking of treatment..." he said, motioning for him to give him his arm so he could inject him with the faraday solution he has been making in bulk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey! Watch it!" a passerby yelled as David bumped into him. David spun around to yell back but paused before he began. A familiar boy had exited the tavern and crossed the street. He was obscured for most of it but David was sure it was Rain. Forgetting the angry person, David walked back towards the inn.

Inside, he took the steps up to their room two at a time. He swung the door open and there he was. Rain was packing their stuff and David looked at him, confused, "We leaving?" He asked as if he had never left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I know I’ve probably asked before. But why do you help people like me? Wouldn't it have been easier to just turn me in?" The boy asked from behind him. Skinner was going to trust him not to try anything crazy. Skinner was ready to kill him if it came down to it. He was currently at one of his work benches putting something together.

Skinner paused for a moment, the question caught him off guard. He cleared his throat, "Not every monster is a monster. People have just been accepting their fates when they get bitten by a werewolf or cursed for hundreds of years not because these things are powerful, but because no one understood them. I know that if people are willing to change they will, as long as they are given help."

Skinner was the only person he knew of that had been researching something like this. In his basement for over thirty years, Skinner has been doing experiments and helping people willing to be helped and painstakingly documenting the entire process. He hoped that one day there would be a alternate form of doctors and scientists that study the interactions with the energy known as exotic matter with the rest of the world as we know it. The thought excited Skinner like a schoolboy.

"So you've asked me plenty of questions now its my turn. How did you get where you are today, and is science something anyone can learn. Can you teach it to me." he asked when Skinner walked back a few minutes later. He motioned for Daoua to hand him the mask.

"Well, my parents are both...important. My dad works in the west as an ambassador between fae and humans as well as a member of the grey lords, he is also an old school magician that wrote his own runic alphabet and wouldn't tell anyone what it was." he went on, "My mom worked as a professor of alchemy and physics at a few universities on Earth. She was the only that encouraged me to pursue my line of work. She wouldn't be happy if she knew what I was doing now but she would like pieces of it."

Skinner took the mask across the room and dropped it into a small vat of metallic liquid. It looked like mercury and the mask vanished underneath the smooth surface in an instant. Skinner poured a beaker of purple fluid into the vat and walked back to his patient, "I understood early on that Magic as a concept didn't have any really gravity to it. It was just a way to explain something not understood. The problem was that no one was trying to figure it out." He was temporary interrupted by a gurgling sound from the workbench behind him. He glanced to make sure it wasn't eating through the vat. The liquid was slowing spiraling through a glass coil that lead to another, chrome pressure chamber on the opposite side of the table.

"I think I can teach you if you want to learn. It's not that difficult once you begin to change the way you think."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The man with green eyes tousled Phill's hair and smiled, "You know it dude" he said with a laugh, looking towards the door after Rain, "Why did Rain run off? She had also heard something Rain had said about packing. Bec was puzzled, "We leaving soon?"

Phill sighed as he took in bec's appearance and smiled "you really are hard to pick out of a crowd, luckily i recognized how you spoke like we were friends. Rain probably left because he gets protective over me, same old rain. Yes we were attacked by what i believe were assasins, dae was taken by some sort of magic user, david is missing and so far we just want to get out of hear after learning what we can. He is packing too quick in my oppinion but if he wants to leave that quick i understand why after the attacks and am also not sure i want to stay here too long." Phill began flattening his hair and trying to get it to stay in place smiling at how his hair was touseled and gave a small chuckle. "I am glad that you found us, you are so hard to find and we thought you left us or something, i am glad you are back though." ((I am confused i forget did bec or Dauoa buy the amulets and if dauoa did would he still have them with him and wouldn't skinner recognize they had some sort of magic and take them?))

(((Daoua bought them. Skinner was only focused on dangerous artifacts and weapons when he searched him, a couple necklaces with protection charms wouldn't bother him)))

Bec sat quietly as Phil recounted the events of the past twenty four hours. Such exciting stuff these guys get in to. Made Bec almost wish he hadn't vanished when they arrived. Almost.

"Protective? I don't understand. I would not hurt you." He said, shocked that Rain would assume such a thing, "How is he going to protect you from the Inn though?"

Concern crossed Bec's face when Phil told him about what happened to Daoua. Taken? What did that mean? Did this man figure out what he was and caught up to him? Oh! Bec hoped that wasn't the case. He felt partially at fault if it was. He was the last person to talk to Daoua and it went poorly. Maybe if he wouldn't have flown off the handle, he would still be around. Since he was the Mincer everyone was talking about, Bec was sure he was set of execution by now.

David, on the other hand, Bec knew was fine. He was more surprised that he hadn't shown up yet, "David's not back yet? Last I saw of him he was injured but fine. I was sure he would have found you guys by now"Bec bit the knuckle on his hidex finger in thought. He hoped David didn't get attacked again. He knew about the assassin attack but didn't think to mention it to Phill. It wasn't important at this time.

"I am glad that you found us, you are so hard to find and we thought you left us or something, i am glad you are back though." Phill admitted, changing the subject to something more casual.

Bec chuckled, " Yeah I know. Isn't it great?" he said in a dreamy tone, " I wouldn't have let you leave without me. I'm stuck with you guys till we see this through"

"That's about enough time spent in this place, I better start packing.. and pack light." Theon always packed light, but he made it a habit reminding himself.. It was one of the things he was taught back home.. and he held onto that thought to remind him of the good ol' days.

"All good swords need a name, I named mine Seaspawn! What're you going to name yours Luke?" Theon shrugged at this memory going through his head, he always had these flashbacks from back home, sometimes it was his mother or sisters.. sometimes his brother but most of the times it was his father and this time was not an exception, he could see his father holding his greatsword up with one hand, placing it into the cabinet.. "Well Seaspawn, here we are.." He placed the sword in it's scabbard and hung it over his back, it was too long to be attached to his belt, and placed the dagger in its sheath under the greatsword. Finally, he grabbed a wolf shaped necklace and wore it around his neck, the wolf was the sigil of his now presumed extinct house.. and when he was asked about it he would say he looted it somewhere close to the old keep.

Theon's head was light, it's been a few days since he ate anything worth its while and he was drinking too much mead, he knew that.. but he drank anyway. He made his way to the counter where the innkeep was sitting, "It's been more than an hour, where's my food?" Theon was just making chat, he wasn't expecting the innkeeper to flip him over and not save any food for him.. he thought he was smarter than that.. "Food? Oh you mean this silly excuse of a deer? It's too thin and there isn't enough for everyone." The Innkeep was smirking, thinking he would've gotten away with it, but Theon wasnt gonna have any of it.. "I thought we had an agreement, old man." His voice was quiet and calm, which gave the Innkeeper some confidence.. "Begone or I'll call the guards!" Theon shrugged and whistled, the door barged open and Snow boomed through, showing his long, sharp teeth. "I'm not really worried about the guards you see.. I'll be having my share of food, and be on my way.. or perhaps you'd like to say something..?" The Innkeep looked over at the white direwolf staring at him with it's red eyes and sharp teeth. "I have reconsidered! I beg your pardon, lord. Just take this beast away I beg you!" He was trembling, and sweating.. his hands shaking.. "I'm no lord.." Theon said in a bitter tone, patting Snow on his back, the direwolf looked back at him, his teeth didnt seem as frightening now. Theon left the Inn, Snow trailing behind him, he placed his sword in a saddlebag and set it up on his horse and gestured for Snow to stay and guard it, and went back into the inn to get his food.

Theon made his way into a bar across the road, with a plate of food in his hands, and took a seat close to a kitsune and what seemed like it's partner.. He unsheathed his dagger and placed it on the table in front of him and started eating.

"Well you're in luck in that respect. Part of my deal with the city is that you are never allowed back in New Mesa again." Skinner was calming down from Dauõa stupidity . what he had just told Dauõa it was the best news he had heard from him all day. If he could leave this place, he would walk out of town and never look back. But if he left would skinner stay here, it was likely he would. If he did leave and skinner stayed then he wouldn’t be able to keep a eye on him.

"If they did release me, would you stay here or come with me. Or is that a verdict for the future after I'm better." Dauõa waited till skinner was done explaining his chances with the pacifiers to get the answer. It didn’t seem good, but after his leg heals all it would take is him running. He was fairly fast on his feet but he couldn’t leave without the mask, and he didn’t really want to leave skinner. After Bec he thought he would have had a harder time trusting people, but skinner was making it hard to not trust him.

Dauõa's attention snapped back when skinner came to his side, a needle in hand. When he motioned to his arm Dauõa gave him a - are you stupid look - before handing him his other arm, the one not broken. It was healing slowly as was his leg and it still hurt to move them even the tiniest of bits.

Watching as the needle slowly sank into his skin he felt the push of the faraday solution going into his body. When skinner was done he walked over to his work bench.

With skinner not right next to him he glanced over at the mask, picking it up he gently ran his hands over it. He could feel a power surge from it. It was almost intoxication how it made him feel, and a smile spread across his face as he felt the bones in his arm and leg mend enough for use. But it didn’t last long as skinner started to take about why he was helping him. A odd feeling welded in Dauõa and he gave a small happy chuckle.

"Not every monster is a monster. People have just been accepting their fates when they get bitten by a werewolf or cursed for hundreds of years not because these things are powerful, but because no one understood them. I know that if people are willing to change they will, as long as they are given help." Skinner looked a little happy, maybe excited by something but he decided not to ask.

Dauõa stood testing out his legs. Walking over to skinner without a limp left him giddy, palming the mask Dauõa watched as skinner was putting thing together. He had no idea want most if not all of the stuff was but skinner was a expert.

"Well, my parents are both...important. My dad works in the west as an ambassador between fae and humans as well as a member of the grey lords, he is also an old school magician that wrote his own runic alphabet and wouldn't tell anyone what it was." he went on, "My mom worked as a professor of alchemy and physics at a few universities on Earth. She was the only that encouraged me to pursue my line of work. She wouldn't be happy if she knew what I was doing now but she would like pieces of it."

"Well I don’t know your parents, but I don’t see how they wouldn’t proud of you. Your helping people who need it but can't help themselves. I mean isn't that what they are doing also, just on a different scale. " Walking back to the bench he sat down again, handing the mask over with a little reluctance at first. When skinner dropped it into a vat filled with a silver liquid Dauõa’s skin crawled. It felt like oil was slowly sliding over his skin but nothing happened.

"I understood early on that Magic as a concept didn't have any really gravity to it. It was just a way to explain something not understood. The problem was that no one was trying to figure it out."

A bubbling noise stopped him from talking and Dauõa glance at where skinner was looking. He felt a little warm and was possibly starting to sweat a little. Nothing to bad yet.

"I think I can teach you if you want to learn. It's not that difficult once you begin to change the way you think."

"That would be cool. So then another question. If you see a spell or what I would take as magic could you learn it and use it. I can heal small wounds, if you can learn it I wouldn’t mind showing you." Dauõa looked skinner up and down pausing for a second. He didn’t have any wounds one him that he could see.

"Although you would have to be hurt, a cut or something and you don’t have so much as a scratch on you. But it may not be a good idea to have blood around me right now."

-------

Rain had trailed back up to their room setting the now clean clothes down and folding them. He was sorting and putting them in their respective piles before stuffing them into the bags of their owners. The door swung open with a soft thud on the wall behind it. Standing in the door way was David, confusion written on his face as he took in the scene.

"We leaving?"

"Yes, its not safe to stay here any longer. Last night after you left both me and Phill was attacked." Standing rain walked to grab Phill bag, stuffing his clothes inside. A wince played across his face as he stood, the pain from the wound causing him to pause.

"I think Phill got lucky and got inexperienced assassins. A met a old ...... acquaintance. He was most certainly skilled and if he was here then there is more equally trained with him." He wasn’t willing to tell David any more than that, not like he would ask. Rain figured that doing the day they would be ok from attack unless it was Lucian who went after them. Doing the night however they were far game. He had left that group a while ago and had been living in the woods when Phill and him had meet for a reason. But if Lucian was here that means he had found him and he would be out for blood.

But Lucian was a twisted man, given he was the one who kick rain out for refusing work. When rain didn’t come back he had taken it as betrayal and his target is not rain but those he may hold dear. Rain had become attached to Phill, and David, hell even Bec and Dauõa. It was to be expected with the long traveling time with them and they were who Lucian would be after. Because it would hurt him more than if he was attacked directly because they were friends, even borderline family if rain could remember what having a family was like.

Edited by Acornia

A wrinkled head full of grey hair turned to a door placed along the far wall. A fire place burning brightly beside it, crackling and spitting as it burned down. The clicking of the door latch releasing signaled the entrance of her daughter.

She had a task for her, one in a vision she had of just moments ago. She herself could not go but her child could. In new mesa people with destiny's who could not be ignored where gathering.

"Eskia dear, I have something for you to do. It is important so dont argue with me." Her rick baritone, uncommon in a woman, rang out filling the room with power. Many would cring at what she excluded but to Eskia it was normal.

Staring into large black soulful eyes Eskia nodded, understanding at the importance of her mother's words. Very really did she talk of thinks unimportant, finding small talk a waste of words and voice. And to their line words were power.

"Yes I have seen some. A man and boy, Skinner and Dauõa I believe. Also a fox, I think there may be two but I never see them at the same time. Is there anyone else." Eskia's sight was strong but she had no control over it so far. Seeing them a week or so before they appeared in town. Her mother on the other hand was something else, mastering the sight before her time. But she had to as they were a dieing race.

"Yes there is. One is the companion of a large wolf, find it and you will find him. The other is a shifter of some kind. He will be hard to find but I have faith in you. The last is a older human who carries two strange weapons. You will learn their names in time as you meet them so dont worry. Find them and bring them here." She walked up to Eskia and wrapped her arms around her. Pulling away she handed her cloak before returning to her seat.

Eskia took one look at her mother before heading to the door. She understood why her mother was sending her. She moved a lot faster than her and was younger. Ekia her mother was old, having her at 50 now made her 66. Her bones where weakening as was normal for her race.

"Bye mother. I shall be back shortly, i hope." Before she could get a reply the door had clicked closed and she was hurrying across the ground. It didnt take long to find he way out of the misty area that her mother had set up for protection. With the clearing of the fog the walls of the city became clear.

Working pasted them she brushed by most everyone, set on her task. The wolf should be easy as she had seen it infront of the blue and white inn. She didnt care much for the inn itself but it was one of the nicest places in town. Before long the blue roof came into view followed by the people meandering about. There were a lot, today must have been a festival or something. It would make it harder to locate the wolf, or so she thought.

There beside a horse that was tied up sat the beast. Scurring to it on all 6 limbs she stopped infront of it. It was a beautiful animal, large and white with red eyes. Rare coloring for a wolf, even rarer for its kind. Tilting her head she gazed into its eyes.

"Beast speak to me and i shall listen."

Drawing a symbol in the air between the two she leaned closer. No fear in her as she watched it.

" It is your master who I seek but you would make better company than any human I will meet. What is your name"

Edited by Acornia

Snow's eyes shone at the sight of the mystic standing right infront of him, asking him about Theon. "What do you need with him, mystic." Snow's snarl was quiet but fierce.. his teeth dripping with drool, he was protective of Theon, and Theon was equally as protective of him.

(Id have a longer post but I'm in a practice session)

Eskia narrowed her eyes at the beast in front of her. Pleasent one wasnt he. Shaking her head at him a finger pointed in his face she straitened up. Most cases she wouldnt let any manner or creature growl at her or behave like a animal in her presence.

"Hm well beast, I guess you could say destiny is calling and in here for roll call. Tell me not where he is then, if you do not wish. But eventually my sight will lead me to him. " Cocking her head to the side she thought over her answer. It did seem a little abrasive and threatning.

"I mean you and him no harm. But for the better of the world, both this one and its sister if you will, my mother wishes to speak with you and him. There is others that I must get before i travel back."

At the stomp of the horses hooves she glanced over at it. A question forming in her mind, one she already knew the answer to.

"Prey tell, why are you watching over a horse beast. Is your master leaving soon. If that be the case then i shall keep you company. But do tell, I hate to keep calling you beast. What is your name."

((((Thats ok. You in band or a sport or something of the kind.))))

Edited by Acornia

Skinner once again got up from his chair and walked to the desk he was working at. The chrome cylinder had stop it's gentle vibrating and was now cool enough to touch. Skinner flipped open a little window near the bottom and reached inside with forceps. He retrieved a smoking grey crystal cut like a diamond. He brought it over the the table where a silver locket was placed. Using an quick phenomenon that fused the two objects at a molecular level, he mounted the diamond on the front of the locket. He pulled the chain over his head and let it drop against his chest. He pointed to the charm, "This is a window diamond. It's created when you place the fluid from a communication basin under extream pressure and heat. You get a solid with the same properties. Since I submerged you'r mask in the vat, Whatever energy is drawing you to it will now emanate from this little stone." Skinner explained with a grin. This was as safer option that carrying the mask around. It also kept Dauoa from wandering too

"If they did release me, would you stay here or come with me. Or is that a verdict for the future after I'm better." he asked.

Skinner thought for a moment. There was no way he would just give the boy his mask and let him free. The city would take his head as a trade. If he left with him, there was no doubt in Skinner's mind that he would join back up with his friends. David's request was still in the foreground of his mind. Maybe he was getting to old and cynical? Maybe it was time for an adventure.

"Well I don’t know your parents, but I don’t see how they wouldn’t proud of you. Your helping people who need it but can't help themselves. I mean isn't that what they are doing also, just on a different scale. "

That made SKinner laugh, an action that threw him into a smoker's coughing fit. He thumped his chest and took a few deep breaths, "This isn't the only thing that I do. I do a few shady things that New Mesa would not be happy if they found out it was me." Skinner said. Researching his neighbors didn't pay the bills so Skinner has found other ways to make cash.

"That would be cool. So then another question. If you see a spell or what I would take as magic could you learn it and use it. I can heal small wounds, if you can learn it I wouldn’t mind showing you." he asked.

"good question" he started, "Yes, but not the same phenomenon I see preformed. I can douplicate the effects using my alphabet. It's sorta a mashup of a bunch of styles I've learned over the years. That and the alphabet my dad created"

Skinner looked the boy on the table over and decided to give him a demo, "For example. If I want to turn off gravity around me, the word for that is Ada Coveneent id Ter which translates roughly to reverse pull with earth as a modifier" As Skinner spoke the word, small objects around the two men began to drift around them, "But the thing that makes my style different is that it's just a language that can create physical changes in reality, If I want to tweak it, I could say something like...Ada relinqe id Ter" at that moment, everything plummeted towards daoua and clattered to the wall behind him. It felt like they were sudden'y hanging over a cliff and Skinner clutched the arms of his chair to keep from falling forward.

"Nux will turn it off" he said, returning gravity to normal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I think Phill got lucky and got inexperienced assassins. A met a old ...... acquaintance. He was most certainly skilled and if he was here then there is more equally trained with him." Rain recounted as he started packing his things. David moved to the other bed and started doing the same with his stuff.

"I was attacked last night too. I don't think they were expecting me to have help so I got the best of them. Were yours wearing black robes? I managed to rip this from on of the sleeves." he said, holding out the scrap of fabric for Rain to see, "Skinner said it's from some cult called the Church of the Broken God. I don't see why they would want me dead though".

Dauoa watched as skinner explained how his magic worked it was fascinating really but the small locket around his neck. If his draw was now to the locket instead of the mask could he still transform with the mask.

"Sorry but back to the neckles and mask. So the draw is there, me being pulled to the locket but can I still transform with the mask of is it something like I can transform on.... I don't know.... your command now." Duao didnt want to think of the possibility that he may only be able to transform with permission or not at all.

Standing from his place he wandered over to the vat the mask had been in. Given there was no draw to it now. If anything it was so the neckles around skinners throat and a odd warmth seemed to radiate from with in him. He figured it must be along the same lines that had connected the mask to him in the first place. If the mask go hurt the he did to, now it was more that the neckless was warm so was dauõa.

Taking a spot beside skinner he glanced around, now that most of the experimenting was over he hoped they could leave. He would have to ask though someother time, because he didnt think skinner would tell him, about what he did in his past. It couldnt have been that bad, but at least he evened it out with helping people.

"So when are we leaving, I dont really want to be cooped up in the house all day. Besides I would like to start training if you really dont mind teaching me. Well truthfully.... nevermind. Im hungry" dauõa looked to the door while standing almost shoulder to shoulder with skinner. It was about the closest to the neckles as he could get without being on top of him.

-------

"Skinner said it's from some cult called the Church of the Broken God. I don't see why they would want me dead though".

Rain stopped his work to give david a pointed glare. When had he found the time to go see skinner. It was pretty late last night when eveything happened. No nevermind, he didnt really care.

"Maybe it was through association. Although if you ever meet a red eyed white hair man with tan skin and asks you if you know me, for your own safety say no." With that rain finished packing his stuff and sat on the bed looking at david.

"When your done ill go get phill from across the street. He over there flirting with some guy. You know, I dont feel that well. May have to stop for some medician before we leave." Rain flopped back on the bed not having the energy to keep himself up.

Edited by Acornia

"Your sight?." Snow grinned but dropped the fierce act when the mystic declared her intentions. "Snow, my name's snow.. And yes me and my master will be leaving so there's no point delaying the inevitable.. Lu-.. Theon is over in the bar.. Eating, I wouldn't talk to him now thou-" Snow was interrupted by the sight of Theon leaving the bar. "But that wouldn't be necessary."

=============

Theon picked up his dagger and left the bar. He saw snow being confronted by a 6 limbed creature, he unsheathed his dagger but he wouldn't attack first.. He never does. He approached Snow lightly and in an instant grabbed the mystic. "You're gonna tell me who you are, and what you need, now."

(((Yeah I practice MMA and I'm on my way home now.)))

Edited by Sacriel

Eskia heard his come out of the bar but paid it no mind. Her attention was on the wolf as it spoke. It seemed for the most part to put on a act but she could feel its love for its companion.

The back of her cloak being pulled on had her stumbling back. If it wasn't for her 6 limbs she would have been either on the ground or hanging from the cloak.

"You're gonna tell me who you are, and what you need, now." His ground out as he man handled her.

"Ventus" the word was whispered quietly but the impact was loud. The wind picked up blowing dust around as it bit and nipped at the exposed skin. It was enough thay his grip loosened and she stummbled from his grasp. Turning a non impressed and slightly aggravated face back to him she huffed.

"Habitaverunt" just like that the wind died down settling back to the earth in peaceful breezes.

Glancing between him amd the wolf she sneered before answering any of his questions. Yesh didnt his mother teach him Amy manners.

" My name is Eskia and i am on roll call. I would like to ask you and snow to accompany me back to my mothers but your attitude it that of a common thug. I would have thought better of you but I guess my expectations where to high." She paused before another though crossed her mind. "But one question before I leave, unless ypu change your mind, my kind are far and few between. In fact I would venture to say that me and my mother are the last of our kind. So how is it that you, a boy by life's standards, would know what I am." Squinting her eyes she cocked her head before walking to the side giving him a good look up and down.

David caught the glare and quickly looked down at the open mouth of his bag. He had forgotten he vanished in a huff the night before. David bit his lip and finished stuffing pants and a free towel into his backpack, "Hey. Uh, I'm sorry about last night. I...I thought Skinner was cutting me out and I took it out on you guys".

David had a lot of time to think in his short time away and he saw how unreasonable and cruel he was being to his friends. if it wasn't for those guys he would still be walking here. Or Dead.

David sat on his bed and put his bag on his lap.

"When your done ill go get phill from across the street. He over there flirting with some guy. You know, I dont feel that well. May have to stop for some medician before we leave." Rain said. Preparations to leave. Straight to the point, just like Rain.

David nodded and rose to his feet. He slung his bag over his shoulder and put on his hat, "I was thinking about that actually. I would hate to split up again but it would only be for a little while. I could go grab the wagon while you and Phill can run to the southern gate and pick up supplies" He said. Uttara told him about a traveler's market right outside the gate that would have everything they needed for wherever they were going, "Are we still going to visit the orical?" he asked. David pulled his guns from his holsters and made sure they were loaded and not damaged from the night before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

''Sorry but back to the necklace and mask. So the draw is there, me being pulled to the locket but can I still transform with the mask of is it something like I can transform on.... I don't know.... your command now." Daoua said, pointing at the locket.

Skinner picked it up and looked at it intently. The stone shimmered constantly with the same texture as the liquid int he vat. He looked at Dauoa, who was walking towards the vat, "I...Never thought that was an option. We will have to test it! Can you shift back at will?" he asked. It would be neat it it was true but he didn't want to have to deal with a pissed off wiendigo after the experiment.

"So when are we leaving, I don't really want to be cooped up in the house all day. Besides I would like to start training if you really don't mind teaching me. Well truthfully.... never mind. I'm hungry" Dauoa said. the boy took a place directly next to Skinner. This was the closest had gotten to him since his capture. Skinner wrote that fact down in his notes. That was another side effect he didn't forsee.

"We can leave now if you want. I'll grab you something to eat...as long as it's actual food. I'm not going to help you kill people" Skinner got up from his seat and walked towards the of his lab.

Back upstairs, Skinner gathered his things. He grabbed his coat, his satchel and his hockey stick. The small bowl on the counter was moved and completely void of honey. Skinner smirked and slung his stick across his back. He usually didn't travel with it, just David's story of being attacked spooked him. then again, he might have a seven foot deer demon on his side.

"Hmph.. I just know things." He glanced over at Snow, making sure he was not harmed or anything. "Sorry if I startled you, but.. I've had a few things happening." Theon looked at Eskia, puzzled, he moved away from her, to Snow.. He knelt down beside his tame beast and patted his snow-white fur and smiled faintly.. "One for each of you, I expect you to raise them to be tame and not attack strangers, is that clear?" . Another one of those flashbacks, they were becoming more and more frequent as time passed, Theon knew he had to take revenge.. but how?

"As for that offer of accompanying you back to your place.. I suppose I have nothing better to do, and only a fool would refuse a mystic's summon, I'm Theon." He extended his hand to Eskia for a shake.

His mind was racing was thoughts, but all of them were about home.. He had learned the truth but he didn't know why the hit was ordered.. and he would know why before paying his debts back to the people who burned everything he held dear down.. "A debt in blood, must be paid in blood... and I always pay my debts." He thought.

"Hey. Uh, I'm sorry about last night. I...I thought Skinner was cutting me out and I took it out on you guys".

Rain listened quietly at David’s apology. He was still upset about that but it wasn’t at the top of his priority list of things to do. If David was really sorry he would have plenty of chances to show it in their travels.

"I was thinking about that actually. I would hate to split up again but it would only be for a little while. I could go grab the wagon while you and Phill can run to the southern gate and pick up supplies" Nodding at his suggestion rain forced himself to sit up and look David in the eye. He didn’t like the idea of David going alone.

“Phill’s across the road at that little bar. Stop and get him if we are splitting. I think it would be best if you two stick together. But yes, when you get the wagon and horses I plan on stopping by her place on our way out.

--------

"Sorry if I startled you, but.. I've had a few things happening." He apologized a little puzzled, but Eskia paid it no mind. She didn’t think she had given him a reason to be confused, she could but had no reason to.

"Hmm. I don’t care if you had things happening to you, the way I remember it is you did more than startle me. You gra......"

Eskia's voice trailed off as her eyes glazed over. Vivid imagery placed before her. The settings was the same in this vision as to where she was. The difference was the occupants of the vision. She was standing off to the side still badgering then when the door to the inn opened showing a kitsune and a human walk out. The kitsune stopped for a second d to regard the wolf before turning to leave.

"As for that offer of accompanying you back to your place.. I suppose I have nothing better to do, and only a fool would refuse a mystic's summon, I'm Theon." The one agreement to accompany her broke the trans she was in. Glancing around she blinked and smiled, how convenient that they would be coming out shortly. Now she world just have to stop and get them.

"Hmmm. Ok that’s fine although we will be staying here as some more of our future party will be joining us. But as for the wait, entertain me by telling me about yourself. Where do you come from that you would know about us, surely not from around here."

------

"I...Never thought that was an option. We will have to test it! Can you shift back at will?" Dauõa thought it over and tried to grasp the feelings he got when he transformed. He could feel them there deep down but it felt like there was something blocking him from getting to it.

"Nope not at will at least. You can try commanding me but I don’t think it will work. Maybe I lost the ability to transform." A smile played across his face. He wasn’t to upset, it could have been worst and with the warmth coming from the spirit in the neckless Dauõa felt soothed and happy. No matter what skinner said Dauõa knew that there was a spirit in it but he wasn’t willing to argue with him. If he was in a better place then he didn’t mind.

"Your warm you know that." He said nonchalantly as he followed him up the stairs. He followed him through the place as he gathered his stuff taking notice of the now empty honey bowl.

"We can leave now if you want. I'll grab you something to eat...as long as it's actual food. I'm not going to help you kill people" Dauõa couldn’t tell if he was joking or being serious. He felt that it could be a little of both but he wasn’t willing to risk another cold stare like earlier. Once was creepy enough.

"We will see where it goes. I'm kinda in the mood for cooked salamander meat. But where are we going after that." Dauõa followed almost at his heels as he made his way out the door. A smile and peep in his step all the way, he was feeling fantastic and he didn’t know why or particular care.

-------

Rain walked down the stairs and out the door with David on tow. The plan was to get Phill and have David go with him to get the wagon. But stepping out into the harsh midday light he got a sight he wasn’t expecting. There in the middle of the street was a large wolf beside a horse. In front of it was a young man and a odd creature who happened to be looking right at him. He froze as it finished saying something to the other person and made its way over to them. It was like she was waiting for David and him to come out. Odd.

Edited by Acornia

Phill watched and listened as bec talked about seeing david injured but overall okay. "I am glad that david seemed okay, i hope he is alright. You know that you are always welcome with us any time you want and i am glad you wouldn't let us since finding you would be hard, the necklace you have will allow us to at least narrow it down now. And he feels threatened but not like the way you are going to kill me, he thinks that you are flirting with me most likely, he gets jealous i think is the right word not protective."

Phill continued to eat his food until it was completely gone and he stood up. "I believe that if we are planning on leaving we should get some supplies as well, medical supplies would come in handy since i used most of the ones i got before. Some sort of rations, maybe a few other supplies though i am not positive on what we would need. I feel that while we are here we should stock up as much we can before leaving."

/Skinner exited the smoke bar that he lived above and took a breath. The city streets were busy with droves of people going about their daily lives. Skinner knew just the place to get something for Dauoa to eat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David followed behind Rain as they exited the Inn for the last time. He was talking about something or other when he bumped into him. Rain had stopped dead and was looking off to the side at something more interesting. David followed his gaze until he caught the eye of a freaky bug lady watching them. Standing with her was a man and a very large dog. "Creepy" he muttered just loud enough for Rain to hear. He was getting a bad feeling, almost like the rest of the real world was finally crashing down on him. Their little vacation in New Mesa has finally came to an end and it was time to go back to their mission. Whatever that was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skinner sat across from Daoua at a table outside a small food stall. Skinner was smoking a hand rolled ciggarete and watching DAuoa eat. "When we get back we can go in my backyard and see what the limitations of this dimond. It might be a substitution for the mask and maybe we can starve your curse out of the mask this way" he said thoughtfully. Skinner had a basket of theories about the mask now that he's had more time to think. In time he would test them all.

"Next, I gotta go to a supplier and pick up some more supplies for my lab. As well as pick up an order from a client." Skinner crossed his arms and looked up into the sky, trying to remember if there was anything he was forgetting. Something nagging was telling him there was still something he was missing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bec laughed, a cheerful sound that filled the space between them, "Uptight as usual. Rain really needs to relax and smell the roses every once and a while." he said. Bec crossed his foot over his knee and threw his arm across the back of Phill's chair.

Phill puched his plate away and stood, signaling to Bec that it was time to go. he rose as well and walked from the tavern with Phill,

"I believe that if we are planning on leaving we should get some supplies as well, medical supplies would come in handy since i used most of the ones i got before. Some sort of rations, maybe a few other supplies though i am not positive on what we would need. I feel that while we are here we should stock up as much we can before leaving."

"That's for sure. Our little fun in New Mesa had to end eventually. Guess it's time to start focusing on the task at hand" Bec was still upbeat despite the darker tone to his words. He started to say something else when when he stopped abruptly,

"David! Rain! he yelled and waved to the two men standing outside the Inn. Bec grabbed Phill's hand and drug him through the crowd after him. He reached the two and threw his arms around both of their necks, " I missed you guys!"

"Uh...missed you too?" david said, unsure who he was talking too.

The man smiled and motioned up and down his body. That's when David remembered,

"Oh censorkip.gif! Bec? I thought you were gone for good" he said, returning the hug he gave him.

"Phill says we are leaving? Are we waiting on something else? he asked, looking between DAvid and Rain.

"Uh...no? Phill and I are going to go through the north gate to get our wagon and horses while you and Rain go and buy supplies by the south gate. Then we are all going to go visit Rain's contact before we leave" he explained their plan to Bec and Phill.

"Nah. I'll go with David to get the cart" Bec said much to David's surprise, "Besides, I should give Rain and Phil a little space after I interrupted their lunch a second ago. Me and David here never get any time to talk, right David?"

David looked at her in confusion before finally shrugging, "Fine, you can come with" he said, looking at Phill to see if it was alright if they trade.

Edited by padfoot

"Hmmm. Ok that’s fine although we will be staying here as some more of our future party will be joining us. But as for the wait, entertain me by telling me about yourself. Where do you come from that you would know about us, surely not from around here." Theon chuckled at her words, no.. he wasnt from around here, but he was portraying as a common sellsword, at least until he got his revenge, he would then reestablish his house.. or so he thought.

"Hmph, no I'm not from around here.. accent gave it away?" he smirked, he was doing his best to look like a commoner but all the highborn traits were there.. it was visible in the way he talked and behaved. "I'm Theon, I am by all means just a common sellsword.. I travel all round and meet new people, people have tales.. I just heard about mystics through tales."

================================

"RUN! RUN AWAY AND DON'T LOOK BACK." His father's voice was stern and there was no point in arguing now. "But dad! I cant leave you." Theon's dad waved him away and unsheathed his sword, Theon ran away and all he could hear was the cling of steel on steel, he was running as fast he could.. one moment he could see the exit but then a hand swooped him up off the ground. "I got you boy." Theon felt reassured, the man who had picked him up was the lord of a house that owed its allegiance to his father's house, he thought he was safe.. but he was far from safe.

================================

Theon held his head in his hands, the flashbacks never hurt him.. but this one did. "Damn traitors." He muttered in a low voice filled with anger and agony, he had sworn he would serve justice to the traitors, but when their time comes.

Rain was surprised at the sudden reappearance of bec. Bec was gone for a while and to just suddenly show up, It was giving him whiplash. Rain himself was always one to either stay or go, not keep popping up lile a run away who doesnt understand that running away means you dont come back.

"You know one of these days your going to miss when we leave and youll be stuck somewhere. Although if its anything like the dragon, I'll give it a week and you'll be back."

A smile tugged at his lips. It was the fist time in a little while that he felt happy at seeing someone.with the events of everthing that had happened he had found no room to be happy, just constantly on edge.

"Besides, I should give Rain and Phil a little space after I interrupted their lunch a second ago. Me and David here never get any time to talk, right David?" rain snapped back to bec and david glancing over at phill. He didnt really mind he could use some alone time with him where they are not worried about friends or dieing.

A shifting noise caught his attention,finding the source of the noise he spotted the creature from earlier coming towards them.

"Human and no magic, you must be david. Two kitsunes not sure whos who, another person. Hmmmmmm if I had to take a very educated guess you must be the shifter."

It claim as it stalked around them. Worry started to eat at him again, how did it know who they were. Was it another assassin, it didnt look like one. Or maybe it had asked around and learned there name from the inn keeper or something.

"Who are you and what do you want." He wasn't going to waste time, getting start to the point he wanted to clear this up and be on their way. He wanted to be out of new mesa by nightfall and they still had to find ekia.

"Nothing much, me and my companions" she pointed to the boy and wolf " would like it if you accompanied us to mother's house. Ekia has grown worried at your extended absence, And thats unlike her. " Now that caught his attention, so she had known that they were coming and sent something, he couldnt tell if it was a boy or a girl as he had never seen something like it before, to get them.

"That works we just need to gather our stuff. If you would wait here we will be back."

-------

Eskia jumped as the door that theon had just gone through opened again. It was common for people to continuously be coming and going. It was a bar, part of its appeal is the food and other patrons. Seaking of other patrons a spotted the other kitsune and someone else exit it amd walk over to the two she was watching. Glancing back at theon and snow she signed.

"Well things just got alot.png easier, I must talk to these horrible human and humanoid creatures so be a good boy and stay til I get back. Or you can come and introduce yourself as they will be your travel companions for a while." Turning she scuttled her way to them standing off to the side of the tall human.

"Human and no magic, you must be david. Two kitsunes not such whos who, another person. Hmmmmmm if I had to take a very educated guess you must be the shifter." Walking from her spot she traveled around them in a circle ignoring the looks she was being given.

"Who are you and what do you want." The red head kitsune spoke up. Fine one, at least he didnt man handle her.

"Nothing much, me and my companions" she pointed to theon and snow " would like it if you accompanied us to mother's house. Ekia has grown worried at your extended absence, And thats unlike her. "

-------

Dauõa sat at a small table outside eatting like a staved beast. It was like he had forgotten what food taste like and was trying to be reacquainted with the taste. Skinner sat infront of him puffing on a large cig.

"When we get back we can go in my backyard and see what the limitations of this dimond. It might be a substitution for the mask and maybe we can starve your curse out of the mask this way" dauoa shook his head, he didnt really want to but if skinner said they were it wasnt like he had the option to say no.

"Next, I gotta go to a supplier and pick up some more supplies for my lab. As well as pick up an order from a client."

"Why do you smoke those things. They smell bad so they have to taste just as bad. Not that I'm ignoring what you said but it's stinks." He pointed to the cig in skinners hand.

"Was it something you picked up on earth, whats it like there. Is it any thing like here. " Dauoa asked while standing to stretch. He was full and ready to go and he showed this by standing next to skinner again, leaning on the back of his chair.

The boy was helecoptering again. Skinner was sure it was because he was wearing the necklace. He was just surprised about how quickly it had come on.

"Why do you smoke those things. They smell bad so they have to taste just as bad. Not that I'm ignoring what you said but it's stinks." Dauoa said with a wrinkled nose. Skinner shrugged, he was used to fae not liking the way cigarette smoke smells. They were all so sensitive.

"It's an addiction and they keep me from snapping and flying off the deep end. It's nice to have a fallback that never fails to calm you down". He said, white cylinder in his hand curled wisps of smoke around his fingers. He rolled the filter through his fingers, small sparks of exotic matter danced across the cigarette.

Skinner rose from his chair, taking the hint that Dauoa was ready to leave. He blew a plume of smoke into the boy's face, this time instead of smelling like tobacco it smelled like pine forest after a rain storm. Skinner smiled, "Yeah, these are popular on Earth. I picked it up from my dad. He is the one that taught me the flavor change trick." He said, thinking back to his family when he was young.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David shrugged when Bec and Phill changed places. David adjusted his bag on his back and assumed they were about to split and do their respected jobs. David's ears were not as acute as the kitsune's so when Rain heard the shuffling, David remained oblivious. It wasn't until it got right up on them did he notice the six legged creature moving towards them,

""Human and no magic, you must be David. Two kitsunes not sure who's who, another person. Hmmmmmm if I had to take a very educated guess you must be the shifter." the thing said to itself as it circled them. David's hand rested on the butt of his pistol. In the past twenty four hours he had been in two bar fights, hunted a monster that turned out to be a friend, attacked by assassin's and lost. David wasn't about to drop his guard just yet. He wasn't being overly threatening, that would seem rude.

It then went on to say that her mother was requesting them to visit her house. David glanced at Rain. Was this his contact?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bec crossed his arms when the creature addressed him, "Yeah. I've been called that before" he said plainly. Bec was able to pick up that this creature was female. He was unsure if being able to detect gender was an ability he had been born with or if her was just perceptive that way. He wasn't always right but his record was pretty good.

"That works we just need to gather our stuff. If you would wait here we will be back." Rain said before vanishing into the Inn. David appeared to have his belongings with him. Rain must have left Phill's stuff upstairs, expecting him to meet them in the room. Bec turned his attention towards the man and the wolf that were eyeing them. The four armed scamper fae must be referring to them. He eyed the two carefully from across the street. Sudden'y, Bec felt as if his life was now being manipulated by some higher force.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skinner lead Dauoa off the main streets of New Mesa and into a seedy alleyway that ended in a brick wall. He unslung hisn hockey stick from his back and tapped it on an iron manhole cover. The cover rattled and began to rise from the street. A cylinder of streched pavement covered it like a skin. After a few seconds it stopped rising, leaving a person sized opening that lead to a steel ladder. The ladder lead down into the gloom below. Skinner mounted the first rung and started down, "Come on, This is the path to the Underground"

After their long climb, the duo finally reached the floor below. The cavern inside was much larger than expected, almost five blocks long, and appeared to be natural. Above them, oil lamps suspended by hot air gave the space a warm, amber illumination. The cavern itself was bustling with activity. Vendors yelled their deals of the day. Shady shoppers contemplated over stolen or illegal goods, and people were arguing over prices. Skinner took a deep breath through his nose and smiled, "I give you: the underground. Pun intended I'm sure" Skinner said as they began walking. He as looking for a certain tent where his contact set up shop, "You can wander around if you like." he offered. With the mask locked up in his home and Skinner wearing the necklace, he had no fear that Dauoa would try to run.

Edited by padfoot