Natayah

Player Activities & Events

I actually used to run a caveblocker collection thread. But I unexpectedly lost the ability to get online for a long time, between my laptop breaking and not being able to afford internet for a long time. My IRL life is still a little crazy, and I worry that I might let people down if I'm unexpectedly offline for awhile again. Maybe if I can get a good group together who can keep things going if I have to be gone...

On 1/14/2021 at 8:32 PM, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Cave blocking has become a regular event. Lots of mass breeding. 🙁

I've noticed that... What would you say is the most common caveblockers? I'm still not decided, but if I did do a new collection thread, I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't do 2 breeds instead of 1 this time. 

Technically, the term "cave blockage" was reserved for the fact that a full abandoned pile would actually stop the cave itself from producing more eggs, and you'd get a message that you'd better adopt one of the abandoned eggs first.

Nowadays, we have plenty of "walls" of one type of thing on the AP, but they don't block the cave itself anymore (which is now 6 biomes anyway).

Please keep commentary regarding the status of the Cave or AP being blocked out of this thread. You may never negatively speak of player organized mass breeding events which are done for positive fun and enjoyment and are very different than other forms of breeding, especially just one breed for hours on end randomly  ** With The exceptions like The Breeding Specific Events Done specifically on fun annual holidays like - Brutes for the Ides of March, - Which is a Fun Player Event** All Others are NOT player events, and this is not the place for their commentary. There are other threads for those.

Thank you for keeping this thread on all the topics allowed and on their focus and me not having to have an amygdala hijack and/or way overreacting by banning someone by them having unintentionally or intentionally posting on a topic that really stokes my ire me almost as much as being here in my house 24/7 and are against the rules of this threads. So if it happens again, please PM me or a Forum Mod. I am still the Admin of this Thread. Please stay within the rules. I am being specific here as I know the intent was mostly about creating a new event and commentary to keep it on topic. Thank you for staying on track.

Edited by Natayah

The Photo Contest is open for voting! Please go vote (it's okay if it's not for me - the more votes we have overall, the better the results!)!

Only one more day to go, so, yes, please....

The NEW photo contest is up now - go for it !

After this year's Secret Santa ended, and there were a few requests for a Christmas in July version of Secret Santa, I've been thinking of starting another gifting thread that people can participate in during other times of the year. 

Would there be any interest in a "Gifting Competition" sort of thread where players enter with a wishlist then try to send as many gifts as they can? (Both to other people entered in the competition and by participating in other gifting threads, to encourage gifting forum-wide.) Whoever sends and reports the most gifts during a set period of time would win a big prize. 

@Aqub

Bottom Line: Yes, but you have to be careful with it. I would use these examples and partner with a thread that already exists that has ongoing gifting.

* Sometimes Recognition is Enough - I liked that the Gifting, Breeding Thread recorded how often people filled gift requests, added people's names to different list categories, and had little art graphics people could put in their sigs, so I would do that as well

* I would consider starting with a Pre-Existing thread that people already gift to. One that is ongoing all year is the Birthday Gifting thread, but there are many like it (BTW - I am not saying they would be down with this idea - you would have to ask and not all threads want to make things a gifting competition because that can cause jealousy issues).

* I would use the first test (and if you just run it for a small limited time, or reset it every XYZ days, that might be a good indicator), and then take all the people who donate X number or above are entered into a raffle, and you give out a variety of prizes that way.

* There are factors that give some people an unfair advantage when it comes to gifting if they really want to rig the system, including more time online, having expensive dragons and/or good catching skills to trade for gifts specifically to WIN THE BIG PRIZE vs. just being a generous gifting person which is why you want to run a few tests.

* If all else fails, start your own Gifting Thread to do some test runs, and vary the results until you get one that is solid. I am pretty sure there are lots of people who would love to sign up to post Beta Test "Wish Lists" and Beta Tests "Gifting Runs" to see how it works out. People gift and love getting gifts anyway. If you have trouble starting it, consider running it off site via Google Docs, Unofficial Discord, alternate place to post requests and gifts. That way you can also limit the participants too for better samples. Especially if you are doing this as a Pre-Lude to "test running the July Secret Santa, cuz everyone loves Secret Santa - and if you are testing something that is very Alpha to see if you can tie it in with a bigger event, people will be down to try it and less likely to get fussy. Then ask for honest feedback, and repeat.

Those are some ideas, hope that helps.

Edited by Natayah

I think you make a really good point about a strict "competition" inspiring jealousy/too intense competition, seeming unfair, or maybe even encouraging people to cheat. I really like that idea of entering anyone who donated above a certain number of gifts into a raffle for the "big prize" instead to hopefully address those problems. I want this to be something fun and casual to recognize people for gifting and to give people another place where it will be easy to find the things that active players want and send those gifts to them. I don't want it to just be about winning, for sure. I think keeping a record of past rounds and how many gifts everyone gave during them would be fun for that "recognition" aspect too. :)

I don't think partnering with any other gifting threads would be necessary (especially if the idea will be more casual and less competitive). I just wanted to be able to count gifts given by the participants no matter where those gifts were given, whether it was for another thread or just a random gift!

The first few rounds will definitely be testing stuff, seeing what works and what needs to be changed. Thank you for the ideas of how to do the testing!

Finally, I didn't mean to imply that this was going to be an addition to Secret Santa at all, I just saw demand for another gifting game and have been thinking that I could start something else to try to fill that demand! The other Santa mods and I have already decided there will be no July Secret Santa. XD This wouldn't be affiliated with Secret Santa any more than Gift Exchange is.

Thank you very much for the response and the ideas, @Natayah :D

Edited by Aqub

@EVERYONE - GO VOTE & SHOW SUPPORT! Want to offer something nice? Consider sending an offer via a PM to those who participate ongoing an offer to breed something decently nice for them (yes you can put restrictions on it), if they would like it, or look at their WishList and consider sending something over. Heck, I'd do this for anyone who is a consistent gifter in any thread which feeds into.

@Aqub Sorry where I misunderstood - Your plan sounds awesome, thank you for the clarification, I cannot wait for it!! Hey everyone, follow what Aqub considers developing & get involved and/or offer to test or help in any way they may want. Not to flood with PM's, but another gifting/reward game about rewarding gifting, how does that not make everyone win - so support it and share the love so it will go on and on like Celine Dion!!

The Alternate Lives Raffle is now open for donations and will remain open for the next 24 hours. This raffle focuses on making Spriter’s Altkin accessible to all! Information on how to donate to the raffle can be found in the second post of the thread.

Donating is entirely voluntary, with no pressure. Donating is not required to enter the raffle, nor does it grant extra benefits. If you can’t donate this time, that’s fine! The raffle will open in approximately 24 hours, with wonderful prizes to win! Thank you for your enthusiasm, and have a wonderful day!

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=178725

The Alternate Lives Raffle is now open for donations and will remain open for the next 24 hours. This raffle focuses on making Spriter’s Altkin accessible to all! Information on how to donate to the raffle can be found in the second post of the thread.

Donating is entirely voluntary, with no pressure. Donating is not required to enter the raffle, nor does it grant extra benefits. If you can’t donate this time, that’s fine! The raffle will open in approximately 24 hours, with wonderful prizes to win! Thank you for your enthusiasm, and have a wonderful day!

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=178725