olympe

Faster Breeding

That should worik..

Dragon has never been bred... ALL potential mates show up on breed page

Dragon has successfully bred before.. only established mates show up

..... this page has a link for 'Show ALL Potential Mates'

It would work because anything but a Refusal would establish a mate. Then if you decide to change the mate, you just click the ALL link and find the dragon you want.

I like it. Speeds the Breed page up, find mates fast.. and if you want more, just 1 more click (which you expect to load slow because of the content, no surprises).

Plus another link to "Search a specific dragon" to avoid the whole 2000+ dragons long page if I already have an idea about who the next mate should be (would lead to the aforementioned filtering form).

I can see why the breed page could cause problems for some people, but some of these suggested fixes would drive other people crazy.

You shouldn't hide all possible mates right off the bat. I'm a fan of having one dragon sprite covering each species and clicking on that sprite will show you the individual dragons you own of that species (either by dropdown or a new page).

For established mates, maybe you could have a link at the top of the page saying "view established mates".

I'd like another option: Breed with Filter (aka show me a blank page with an input field, let me enter a string, and then show me what matches in breed, name, or code).

I would love a breeding filter! Been toying with the idea of suggesting such a thing, but I know people who have issues with the fertility filter would understandably say no. Unfortunately, there's been no communication between TJ and those who have problems with the filter, so it seems issues still haven't been fixed.

I'd like pretty much any of these changes! Especially the idea of either showing only established mates OR all potential mates somehow. The vast majority of my dragons are lineaged with specific matching mates that I never stray from, so I'm really coming to dislike that insists on loading everybody every time. With 6000+ dragons, the lag is noticeable. :c I've started to use an addon to quickly disable images when I do lots of breeding.

A filter would be handy too! Beats scrolling through a sea of dragons to get to a specific breed - something I often do with my CBs who actually do get different mates as time goes on. xd.png

Plus another link to "Search a specific dragon" to avoid the whole 2000+ dragons long page if I already have an idea about who the next mate should be (would lead to the aforementioned filtering form).

You can do that with ctrl + find biggrin.gif

It's actually faster than a link.

I can see why the breed page could cause problems for some people, but some of these suggested fixes would drive other people crazy.

THANK you Pokemonfan. My point exactly - I would be one of the crazies. Well I mean even more so than what I am now. xd.png

You shouldn't hide all possible mates right off the bat. I'm a fan of having one dragon sprite covering each species and clicking on that sprite will show you the individual dragons you own of that species (either by dropdown or a new page).

For established mates, maybe you could have a link at the top of the page saying "view established mates".

THAT would be OK. I could scroll through breeds to get my weird ideas laugh.gif

I know people who have issues with the fertility filter would understandably say no. Unfortunately, there's been no communication between TJ and those who have problems with the filter, so it seems issues still haven't been fixed.

Sadly - you are too right sad.gif Mr Flappy as he stands is NOT the answer.

Okay, so let me try to find the common ground:

1. Instead of one breed action link, we get two options:
    1. Breed to established mate. At the end of the page, there's a link that gets you to the other breeding page, just in case you don't find what you're looking for. This should cut down on loading time.
    2. Breed. On this page, you'll get to see all available mates, with the previous mates on listed on top.
  2. We need a way to organize breeding pages for big scrolls. By now, various options have been offered:
    1. No change, just #1. Will help everybody who only breeds established pairings - but the problem will still persist for new pairings, most of which seem to be pairings involving at least one CB dragon.
    2. alternative to 2a: Add a third breeding option: Breed to CB mate. The question is whether this is even possible. Can the site determine easily which dragons are CB and which aren't? Plus, how much would it cut down on loading times? I don't know about other players, but for me, about 2/3 of my dragons are CB, so it wouldn't help much.
    3. Use a filter similar to the fertility page for breeding. Considering how vehemently some people here argued against Mr. Flappy, I'm not sure how helpful this will be. Besides, there's always CTRL+ F - or whatever the Mac equivalent is.
    4. Show only one representative of each sprite (or breed?), which is a link to a new breeding page where only the potential mates with that particular sprite are shown. Since the sprite is the easiest feature to distinguish dragons, it should be pretty easy to choose which sprite represents the mate you want for your dragon. If not - there's always a "go back to previous page" link that could be displayed both on the bottom and the top of the page.
  3. Breed to [insert code here] as an alternative to URL breeding. You can only access this page via your dragon's action page, which only the owner can access anyway. This should take care of security issues.

Does anybody need visuals to explain things better?

You know what would be awesome? If breed pages worked like the fertility feature. You type in the name of a breed or dragon and the list gets narrower and narrower. Already bred to mates could continue to stay at the top of the list regardless of filter. (By the by, a way to delete mates off the list would be nice, to, so you can remove that pesky one-time misclick you keep breeding to by accident...)

At any rate SOMETHING does need to be done, all the dragon images keep loading every time I go to a new dragon's breed page and it takes an age to get to the one dragon I knew right from the start I actually wanted to breed with <___>

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

The problem with a utility similar to the fertility page is Mr. Flappy. He sometimes takes his sweet little time getting done flapping.

You know what would be awesome? If breed pages worked like the fertility feature. You type in the name of a breed or dragon and the list gets narrower and narrower. Already bred to mates could continue to stay at the top of the list regardless of filter. (By the by, a way to delete mates off the list would be nice, to, so you can remove that pesky one-time misclick you keep breeding to by accident...)

At any rate SOMETHING does need to be done, all the dragon images keep loading every time I go to a new dragon's breed page and it takes an age to get to the one dragon I knew right from the start I actually wanted to breed with <___>

The problem with a utility similar to the fertility page is Mr. Flappy. He sometimes takes his sweet little time getting done flapping.

EXACTLY - as Sock pointed out above. He is a nightmare for those of us for whom he is a nightmare ! (like MOI !)

But loading it without images is working great for me - and now that we have the dragon links, I can click on that to check that was what I meant. It IS breathtakingly risky and exciting - but I haven't had a misbreed YET....

Edited by fuzzbucket

Someone please explain to the outsider, who or what is Mr Flappy?

And what is the issue with him/it?

The only issue I've ever had using Fertility is waiting on the darn page to fully load, otherwise it doesn't work.

Mr. Flappy is the dragon (shape) you see flapping its wings while the fertility page is loading. And loading. And loading some more.

I think it was Fuzz who came up with his name, though.

Another point against another Mr. Flappy for breeding is that he requires JavaScript to... flap. I really don't want the site to change so that it's finally Mr. Flappy who gets you everywhere. :/

Edited by olympe

Mr. Flappy is the dragon (shape) you see flapping its wings while the fertility page is loading. And loading. And loading some more.

I think it was Fuzz who came up with his name, though.

Another point against another Mr. Flappy for breeding is that he requires JavaScript to... flap. I really don't want the site to change so that it's finally Mr. Flappy who gets you everywhere. :/

I think it was indeed me. (It was; I just ran a search !) I have NO taste !!

And yes, there's the javascript issue too. I REALLY object to the fact that you can no longer use fertility AT ALL if you have it turned off. If I want to use the old page - which took an age to load, but so does Mr Flappy - why can't I ? I can do any other action without javascript.

We don't need Mr Flappy, I checked the breed page, is not loading all at once, it's loading in parts, when you scroll down the page, that's smarter than Mr Flappy.

But I still want the mouse over for lineages in that page.

We don't need Mr Flappy, I checked the breed page, is not loading all at once, it's loading in parts, when you scroll down the page, that's smarter than Mr Flappy.

A problem with that is you don't get mouse overs if you use a mobile device. What about those users that have no other way to access the site than a mobile device on a regular basis?

The problem is if you need to use a mate that's very far down the list. I use "sort by breed" and wanted to breed one of my Celestials with a CB Stripe. That's when the 4 minute load occurred. Because everything that's above Stripes - meaning absolutely everything from 2-Headeds to Spitfires - had to load first before the Stripes were loaded. I sure tried scrolling down at once, but it took over 2 minutes until I could scroll down that far! Not to mention that the page kept expanding downwards due to the sprites getting loaded.

Also, mouse-overs need time to load, as far as I heard. (I know pretty much nothing about how websites work, so my information might be wrong.)

@Fuzz: I think you were pretty annoyed with that dragon when you christened him. That counts as an excuse, doesn't it? tongue.gif

A problem with that is you don't get mouse overs if you use a mobile device. What about those users that have no other way to access the site than a mobile device on a regular basis?

Basically nothing would change to you?

I'm definitely for:

- breding links work (for the logged in user who owns the dragons only ofc)

- showing only established mates(dragon(s) the given individual has already mated with) on the breeding list (how about 'beed' leading to this and then under the established mates there could be a 'show more dragons' and only then the current breeding page loads?)

I'm pretty neutral on anthing else. My scroll is only a bit above 1000, almost 3/5 of those being frozen hatchies, and I dont' have loadign issues but the above would be useful even to me, a player not having the issue the above was about to solve^^;

(How useful would these 2 be to me? Each of my dragons breed to just 1 particular mate repectively and I mass breed ALL of my pairs every week;

showing only established mates would remove my ever-week's stress that I could misbreed and waste some pairs(I mean I'd have to kick them out and replace becuase monogamy is my scroll's basic rule) and the breeding link working would save me half or even 2/3 the time I need to spent on breeding to get all my scroll bred: 1 page load after clicking the direct breeding link from some document VS click the dragon's actions->click the breed action->click the mate)

Would be awesome if those were introduced, both to solve the lage load problem and to aid players somehow like me, who either massbreed loads of their dragons at once or who simply prefer not to even waste the breeding cooldown if they misbreed(not necessairly being afraid to break monogamy:P).

VERY good point. (And I HATE mouseovers...)

I'm also a supporter of the "Established Pair Breeding" page. All my dragons are monogamous. I don't need all the dragons to show up once I have chosen a mate for them.

- Though, I hope your rejects show up on the established pair page, too. I like seeing what I have tried before that didn't work out.

- I, also, like the greyed out option for those in cool down.

- The sprite representative option is a good one too, since I often search by breed when picking out a mate.

We probably should avoid a JavaScript-based, Fertility-like page, since people have reported it not working at all for them.

I like the idea of the URL, but I feel it would be to easy to abuse.

I like the idea of the URL, but I feel it would be to easy to abuse.

I believe it could be account bound, if all the universal links like https://dragcave.net/dragons are, then why not breeding links too? If you're not logged in on the scroll the dragons are on, you should have access denied, I hope this IS possible to code? There are so many complex things coded already...

Edited by VixenDra

Personally I am for this, and I honestly don't care what form it takes.

And personally I am one who would like some sort of mouseover to tell if something is CB or not. Personally the telling of CB or not is my biggest obstacle to breeding. I often have 20+ of most breeds, and absolute hoards of others(I think I am nearing 1000 greenwings) figuring out which of them is CB or not is a pain and I refuse to use tacky naming conventions like putting CB or 2g on a dragon. If not a mouseover, then some indication on the breed page which is CB or not without having to go to the dragons page. Hatcheries can do this(AoND is the first that pops to mind), so I don't see anything code-wise that would restrict this.

Edited by Nectaris

I like the idea of using one sprite to represent each breed, and then you can click on the sprite and it will show you all the available dragons from that breed. That would really help loading time, I think.

@Fuzz: I think you were pretty annoyed with that dragon when you christened him. That counts as an excuse, doesn't it? tongue.gif

I still am. Believe me, I still am mad.gif

I like the idea of showing established mates, with an option to show more dragons (for example I bred some of my Reds fairly randomly and wouldn't want to breed them together again).

I also like the idea of having only one of each dragon with a drop-down list. If it's easier for coders we could even have all the dragon types show up and then maybe a 'no eligible dragons on this list' or something? I dunno.

[*]Discern between regular breeding and breeding with established mates only. If you're gong to breed a dragon to an established mate, you won't have to load x-thousand others at all. (Thanks to Thuban for this idea.)

Ideally, known mates of a dragon should still show up on top, outside any kinds of pages or whatnot.

I like this idea. I was thinking about something like that just yesterday when the s...l..o...w load mademe stop breeding altogether.