olympe

Faster Breeding

I've just tried to breed one of my shiny new Celestial dragons. With a stripe. Thanks to slightly laggy internet and a scroll of 4000+ dragons, it took me about 4 minutes to load the breeding page. I'm sure I'm not alone with this problem.

I don't know if it's just breeding, or if there are other actions that are problematic, so I'll focus on breeding for now.

So, I wanted to brainstorm on ways to cut down on loading times. Here are some ideas I came up with at the drop of a hat:

1. Allow breeding via URL: When you breed, the resulting page reads something like dragcave.net/actions/code1/breed/code2. Why not allow for us to put in the URL by hand in order to breed our dragons? Of course, this means we need to know the code of both dragons, but I suppose that, at least for larger scrolls, it's faster to load 2 pages of said scroll (plus maybe two view pages) than loading about half the scroll.
  2. Only show one sprite of each variety and list all dragons under that picture. Knowing from experience, I can tell that loading sprites takes a while. Showing only roughly 100 sprites instead of 2000 or way more should speed things up quite a bit.
  3. Alternative to #2: Show only one of each sprite. Clicking on said sprite will open a new page where all dragons with that sprite are shown. Should make things even quicker than #2, as there are only around 100 links to be loaded. Of course, you'll need to load a 2nd page, but even so, it should be faster than, once again, loading half your scroll.
  4. Discern between regular breeding and breeding with established mates only. If you're gong to breed a dragon to an established mate, you won't have to load x-thousand others at all. (Thanks to Thuban for this idea.)
Ideally, known mates of a dragon should still show up on top, outside any kinds of pages or whatnot.

What do you all think? Is this needed or not? Helpful? Other ideas?

Edited by olympe

Allow breeding via URL: When you breed, the resulting page reads something like dragcave.net/actions/code1/breed/code2. Why not allow for us to put in the URL by hand in order to breed our dragons? Of course, this means we need to know the code of both dragons, but I suppose that, at least for larger scrolls, it's faster to load 2 pages of said scroll (plus maybe two view pages) than loading about half the scroll.

YES PLEASE!

I wanted to use this and I was sooooo disappointed it doesn't work:(

Since there are users who only ever breed their dragons to specific mates, an option to choose "show only established" mates would be nice. This would only bring up dragons that the dragon has successfully tried to breed with before (successful or not, since they already show at the top of the page, it makes sense that the others could be hidden).

That would help cut down on a lot of the load time.

I'd rather we kept the option we have now - which often gives me fun ideas - even if breeding by code is added as an option.

But speed of the breed page loading is a HUGE issue now that TJ has added dragon links to the partners shown - I don't know if that's what's done it, but there's a thread...

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=174145

So that MAY settle down.

I am breeding with no images at the moment biggrin.gif There's a major risk there blink.gif - but MAN it saves time !

Since there are users who only ever breed their dragons to specific mates, an option to choose "show only established" mates would be nice. This would only bring up dragons that the dragon has successfully tried to breed with before (successful or not, since they already show at the top of the page, it makes sense that the others could be hidden).

That would help cut down on a lot of the load time.

I'll add this idea as #4 to the list. Thanks for the idea!

I'll add this idea as #4 to the list. Thanks for the idea!

Please can you add the current system gets to stay as well ? I would hate to see us lose it, as it can INSPIRE !

I quite like the idea of being able to choose to see only my soulpeaces or something, and I love the idea of being able to do it by codes - but many lovely lines have come as a result of scrolling idly down and thinking hey WOW that would look good....!

Allow breeding via URL: When you breed, the resulting page reads something like dragcave.net/actions/code1/breed/code2. Why not allow for us to put in the URL by hand in order to breed our dragons? Of course, this means we need to know the code of both dragons, but I suppose that, at least for larger scrolls, it's faster to load 2 pages of said scroll (plus maybe two view pages) than loading about half the scroll.

You do realize that if something like this would be implemented, people would be able to breed any dragon not just the ones they have on their scroll by just typing in two random dragon codes.

So my guess: not the best idea wink.gif

Nah, there can always be a check in place if the two dragons actually belong to the logged-in user.

I'd like another option: Breed with Filter (aka show me a blank page with an input field, let me enter a string, and then show me what matches in breed, name, or code).

Please can you add the current system gets to stay as well ? I would hate to see us lose it, as it can INSPIRE !

I quite like the idea of being able to choose to see only my soulpeaces or something, and I love the idea of being able to do it by codes - but many lovely lines have come as a result of scrolling idly down and thinking hey WOW that would look good....!

Well, considering I'm suggesting a change to enable faster loading, I don't see how it would help to offer "no change" as an option for change. blink.gif

I sometimes want to do just what you said, but then, I always lose sight of the dragon I'm actually trying to breed when scrolling down. Maybe we could have it so that not the whole page scrolls, but only everything below the dragon whose breeding page you're currently on?

Even so, a system where every sprite is only shown once will still have the same effect - only that you don't need to scroll as far down (because the extra sprites don't take up space) and have the page load faster (due to not having to load every single sprite). Am I missing something?

What I need is an option to see the dragons lineages when I'm selecting one to breed to avoid misbreeding. The page loads fine for me but sometimes I click in the wrong dragon because I can't see lineages. dry.gif

What I need is an option to see the dragons lineages when I'm selecting one to breed to avoid misbreeding. The page loads fine for me but sometimes I click in the wrong dragon because I can't see lineages. dry.gif

The new breeding page does contain links to each potential mate's view page.

Well, considering I'm suggesting a change to enable faster loading, I don't see how it would help to offer "no change" as an option for change. blink.gif

I sometimes want to do just what you said, but then, I always lose sight of the dragon I'm actually trying to breed when scrolling down. Maybe we could have it so that not the whole page scrolls, but only everything below the dragon whose breeding page you're currently on?

Even so, a system where every sprite is only shown once will still have the same effect - only that you don't need to scroll as far down (because the extra sprites don't take up space) and have the page load faster (due to not having to load every single sprite). Am I missing something?

I know - but I want to be able to see the whole lot, and this would take that away from me. And I suspect that when TJ is done tweaking he will be able to fix the slowness. Even Mr Flappy has eventually speeded up in fertility !

Saying this is about optional breeding views is one thing, but your initial post suggests that all this should be INSTEAD, not as additional options.

The Breeding page drives me insane. I really wish the following things would be done to it:

- Have the nice combo loading/filter page that Fertility has.

- Have a link to the dragon's lineage where their name/code appears.

These two things alone would make breeding much less of a headache and would not really be time-consuming to put together.

I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I really want it.

On the other hand, the IT security freak in me is yelling things about cross-site request forgery. You'd have to trust random websites (like forums you frequent, or hatcheries you go to) not to be used by malicious users to breed your dragons, basically, if this were implemented, since someone could always do:

[img=https://dragcave.net/actions/12345/breed/23456]

(This particular example doesn't work on this forum since the forum has weird ideas about what a valid image URL is, and demands the URL have an image file extension. <trivia>This behaviour is what forced me to make a URL rewrite for Shokomon's lunar image cycler (user posted image), which is actually a PHP script serving binary image data. Your browser would have no problems with a version ending in .php, but the forum is convinced that's not a valid image.</trivia>)

Basically, this could have awful ramifications for prize and spriter alt owners if that URL actually bred the dragons.

That said, easy fix! Just make that page load up a confirmation screen that asks for your password. It would still be less loading than the current scenario. smile.gif

[ Edit: I realised the above may still be confusing, so, to clarify: You, as the owner of the dragons in the link, would have to load up the page where the "image" using that URL is embedded, for the attack to work. This is not at all the same as an attacker just loading the breed URL themselves. The idea is that your cookies - your site credentials, your authentication - are sent along with the request, "authorising" the action... just that it would be invisible to you. At most, you would see a broken image. Meanwhile, in the background, the damage would be done. // See also Wikipedia. ]

Edited by pinkgothic

I agree that the page load times are becoming lengthy and would love a solution, so you have my full support.

As for the options, I vote for #4.

BUT, I see a potential issue.. what if the dragon has never been bred before, so there are not any established mates to show? Would ALL potential mates show up as usual, or what?

The new breeding page does contain links to each potential mate's view page.

It's not enough, I don't want to have to open the view page to access the lineage, I want to directly access the lineage from the breeding page without having to open the view page. A mouse over option would be the ideal solution.

Edited by danicast

It's not enough, I don't want to have to open the view page to access the lineage, I want to directly access the lineage from the breeding page without having to open the view page. A mouse over option would be the ideal solution.

Eeeeeeeehh. I could be okay with a direct lineage link instead of a view link. Really not a fan of a mouseover preview though. Imagine what happens when someone mouses over that 12th-gen inbred Mint. We're already complaining about lag, that would be so much worse.

I'm already seeing atrocious load times.... on a T1 connection!

I do NOT want a mouse-over, which must also load, and will inevitably slow it down even more.

Cheers!

C4.

I agree that the page load times are becoming lengthy and would love a solution, so you have my full support.

As for the options, I vote for #4.

BUT, I see a potential issue.. what if the dragon has never been bred before, so there are not any established mates to show? Would ALL potential mates show up as usual, or what?

If the dragon has never been bred, then the simple solution would be to have ALL show up as normal.

Though, to be fair, I hadnt thought too far beyond "clicking an option that allows choosing type"

Im having trouble coming up with a way to make it optional per breeding. Since clicking Breed goes strait to the breeding window, the only option I can think of would be to add an extra page load in there, where you click "classic" or "Established pairings only" and then go from there to the page that allows breeding. Maybe Established pairing breeding page/link could end up

VnL3/breed2/vnL3 rather than the normal VnL3/breed/vnL3. Not sure how happy would be about that extra step in their breeding though.

Im having trouble coming up with a way to make it optional per breeding. Since clicking Breed goes strait to the breeding window, the only option I can think of would be to add an extra page load in there, where you click "classic" or "Established pairings only" and then go from there to the page that allows breeding. Maybe Established pairing breeding page/link could end up

VnL3/breed2/vnL3 rather than the normal VnL3/breed/vnL3. Not sure how happy would be about that extra step in their breeding though.

Make only established pairs show up in the Breeding window, and have a "Load All Possible Mates..." link at the bottom that loads everything else. In theory, once enough pairs have been established, people should rarely need to use the Load All link, cutting overall load times and streamlining the mate selection process.

Make only established pairs show up in the Breeding window, and have a "Load All Possible Mates..." link at the bottom that loads everything else. In theory, once enough pairs have been established, people should rarely need to use the Load All link, cutting overall load times and streamlining the mate selection process.

And if you actually WANT to vary mates.... which I usually do. I mean actually - if you are lineage building you are actually going to be looking for DIFFERENT mates. How often does anyone actually want a dragon to use the same mate over and over ?

That should worik..

Dragon has never been bred... ALL potential mates show up on breed page

Dragon has successfully bred before.. only established mates show up

..... this page has a link for 'Show ALL Potential Mates'

It would work because anything but a Refusal would establish a mate. Then if you decide to change the mate, you just click the ALL link and find the dragon you want.

I like it. Speeds the Breed page up, find mates fast.. and if you want more, just 1 more click (which you expect to load slow because of the content, no surprises).

That should worik..

Dragon has never been bred... ALL potential mates show up on breed page

Dragon has successfully bred before.. only established mates show up

..... this page has a link for 'Show ALL Potential Mates'

It would work because anything but a Refusal would establish a mate. Then if you decide to change the mate, you just click the ALL link and find the dragon you want.

I like it. Speeds the Breed page up, find mates fast.. and if you want more, just 1 more click (which you expect to load slow because of the content, no surprises).

Hmmm..... This I could go for.

When I'm building the 2nd gen of a lineage, I breed all 8 pairs at the same time even if the eggs auto, to establish mates and so I can change them up the next week if I must. So that establishes the mate. Most of the time, I have to breed 4 and 5 weeks in a row to get the right breeds of mates. If its a blocker x blocker pairing, it can take 6+ months to get the right breeds. So for the 2nd gen, seeing the mates right off would be great. For the 2nd gen and higher, they go to one mate and one mate only unless they refuse, so it would help them, too.

The only thing I'd add is I'd love it if, on the "established mate" page, those who are on cooldown are greyed out, instead of not showing. I've lost track of the number of times I've bred to a new mate.... because I didn't realize the one I'd bred to last time was still on cooldown. Same for refusals, but that's mostly because I like to count how many any given dragon has. xd.png I've got some that have racked up truly impressive numbers!

Cheers!

C4.

And if you actually WANT to vary mates.... which I usually do. I mean actually - if you are lineage building you are actually going to be looking for DIFFERENT mates. How often does anyone actually want a dragon to use the same mate over and over ?

Wouldn't lineage building usually use the same mates...? Unless I'm reusing CBs for multiple different projects, which is a different matter entirely, I typically lifemate my lineage dragons to avoid accidental inbreeding.

For what it's worth, probably 75%+ of my current scroll breedings come from 23 different pairs. All 23 are lifemated to matching mates. The other 25% of my breedings are specific needs for trades or gifts, and indeed usually require me to select CB x CB pairings I otherwise wouldn't. But I would only have to select each pairing once to make it established, which I think is pretty worth it.

Actually, that select-once-have-forever might prove more useful to you than you think? I imagine your mate variations would only use a relatively low number of dragons relative to the number available on your scroll. Once you've established each pair, it's right there on the breeding page, and you wouldn't need to sort through a thousand dragons to find it anymore. This is really not that different from having your most common mates float to the top of the breed page.

Edit:

The only thing I'd add is I'd love it if, on the "established mate" page, those who are on cooldown are greyed out, instead of not showing. I've lost track of the number of times I've bred to a new mate.... because I didn't realize the one I'd bred to last time was still on cooldown.

This would be nice too. I've had similar "wait, what?" moments where I was sure a CB x CB pair existed and it just turned out I'd pulled away one of the CBs for a breeding to another mate.

What if we had an option to show the "top 5 or 10" pairings for the selected Dragon? It would take into account the most paired sprites from the last 2 or 3 weeks? I know a total would have to be stored as data on the server, but this could help someone find a paring they never thought of.