olympe

Faster Breeding

I have an idea for an addition: Allow users to add dragons to a breeding "blacklist." The dragon can still be bred if you use the Breed action on that dragon, but it will never show up in any other dragon's "possible mates" list.

While I would really like a "previous mates" limitation, I'd also like a way to ban mates that were bred to it accidentally. Because I tend to re-breed them AGAIN accidentally because they're often at the very top. And I forget that they were bad mates.

My "Breeding List wish list" is as follows:

• Some way to not-show dragons you accidentally bred to
  • Show "Bred To" mates only, then click another button to see all dragons
  • Some way to reduce the load speed of "all dragons". Kinda like the "by breed", but not everyone sorts by breed
  • Showing mates that are on cooldown (greyed out or something), but still showing them

Cheers!

C4.

Some way to not-show dragons you accidentally bred to

I would love a way to remove a dragon from the preferred mates at the top. I have one dragon that I bred to for quite a few times before I came up with a better mate. However, since I bred so much to the mismatched mate, that's the one that showed up at top. The two mates are the same breed and mated to a holiday. So I wasted one holiday with a misbreed (I got excited to be able to make this real checker, and honestly forgot about my first mate). I eventually ended up naming the first mate DO NOT BREED TO ME so I would always know not to breed to it. xP Which could get confusing if I ever decide to make it into its own checker, lol.

I really like this idea. While my internet is pretty fast and I don't normally have problems, I'm sure others might and that this might help them.

Huge support! I stopped breeding quite a while before my hiatus because of this. ANY solution to this is welcome.

I would love a way to remove a dragon from the preferred mates at the top. I have one dragon that I bred to for quite a few times before I came up with a better mate. However, since I bred so much to the mismatched mate, that's the one that showed up at top. The two mates are the same breed and mated to a holiday. So I wasted one holiday with a misbreed (I got excited to be able to make this real checker, and honestly forgot about my first mate). I eventually ended up naming the first mate DO NOT BREED TO ME so I would always know not to breed to it. xP Which could get confusing if I ever decide to make it into its own checker, lol.

I have the same problem with a Snow Angel and a wrong Pebble mate. I eventually renamed the Pebble to "Not Meant for Angels". xd.png

Still, having preferred mates on top / a "breed to pevious mates" action, combined with blacklisting certain mates does not help if you're trying to breed a new pair. In such a case, you'd still have your gazillion dragons being loaded.

I can see how this would be immensely helpful to those with slow internet/massive scrolls, though I'm seeing a lot of suggestions for filtering out the dragons...

I like the idea of splitting up the normal breeding page into a "Breed with Established Mates"; which only loads the dragons that you have previously bred the selected dragon with, and a "Show All Potential Mates" page that loads everything as normal. I also really like the idea of having each dragon put into a category based on its breed, and each category acting like a spoiler (like with what people are saying, where you click on the dragon-spoiler's sprite and it expands the list to show all of the dragons you have available of that breed).

Though, for filtering out certain dragons for specific details, maybe checkboxes could work?

-You could have an "Input Code" checkbox that enables you to search for a specific code.

-Or, instead of Input Code, maybe "Input Name"? So you can choose to search for either the dragon's code or its name.

-On that thought, a checkbox for hiding unnamed dragons, and one for hiding named dragons too.

-You could also have a checkbox for showing lineages (the link to each dragon's lineage would load next to its name for easy referencing; I wouldn't support a mouse-over because large lineages can make it messy and laggy very fast).

-Maybe there could be a checkbox here for only showing previous mates as well? Though if it's already separated out into its own page, it would be unnecessary to add that in.

-A checkbox for showing potential mates that are unavailable at the moment?

-A checkbox that causes every dragon you then select to be "blacklisted" (selecting a blacklisted dragon again would whitelist it), and another checkbox that shows blacklisted dragons so you can whitelist them in the future?

-Super random idea: a checkbox that shows what gendered hatchlings you have as well, so you can plan lineages ahead of time?

-A checkbox that removes the previous by-breed sorting, so all dragons are loaded normally like how it does right now, instead of in spoiler-form?

-Other checkboxes I might be forgetting?

Maybe I just like checkboxes. tongue.gif If they don't clutter up the breeding page though, I think it could work! You can also add in other filters as necessary so people can sort out the dragon list however they wish. Options like having the dragons be categorized into spoilers and removing potential mates that are unavailable would probably be automatically checked, just because it reduces the load time; since they're checkboxes though, the player can always uncheck them to see what he has. The only thing I can think of that wouldn't be a checkbox is the obvious sorting-by-gender, so that the two dragons can actually breed together.

Wouldn't that mean that we'd need another Mr. Flappy for the page, who takes even longer to load than the normal breeding page?

Don't get me wrong, all your checkboxes and the like are very desirable and would make finding the intended mate much easier - but the issue of long loading won't go away with more checkboxes and filters.

Edited by olympe

If enough checkboxes were filled it should filter out enough dragons to prevent loading a lot of unnecessary potential mates, but you're right, if not enough of them were filled you'd still have hundreds of dragons to load right at first... Though I don't know what you mean about having another page that takes even longer to load, since I was thinking this would be a replacement for the page we already have?

Hm, now that I think of it, having the spoiler option where the sprite for the dragon's breed is only used once and all of the respective dragons are just links, you would still end up with a bunch of links of dragons on one page, which probably doesn't help the loading time. I was initially against the idea of having the site create a bunch of separate pages for each dragon breed where all of the dragons you own of that breed will be hosted, but I'm starting to think it would be a better option. So the initial breeding page would only have one dragon sprite for each breed as well as only one link that-when clicked-takes you to the page where each dragon of that breed is listed. Maybe that would cut down loading time enough? I don't have thousands of dragons, so I'm not sure how much it would help.

Edited by skwerl56767

Wouldn't that mean that we'd need another Mr. Flappy for the page, who takes even longer to load than the normal breeding page?

Don't get me wrong, all your checkboxes and the like are very desirable and would make finding the intended mate much easier - but the issue of long loading won't go away with more checkboxes and filters.

NO MR FLAPPY. user posted imageThank you for listening.

If enough checkboxes were filled it should filter out enough dragons to prevent loading a lot of unnecessary potential mates, but you're right, if not enough of them were filled you'd still have hundreds of dragons to load right at first... Though I don't know what you mean about having another page that takes even longer to load, since I was thinking this would be a replacement for the page we already have?

Hm, now that I think of it, having the spoiler option where the sprite for the dragon's breed is only used once and all of the respective dragons are just links, you would still end up with a bunch of links of dragons on one page, which probably doesn't help the loading time. I was initially against the idea of having the site create a bunch of separate pages for each dragon breed where all of the dragons you own of that breed will be hosted, but I'm starting to think it would be a better option. So the initial breeding page would only have one dragon sprite for each breed as well as only one link that-when clicked-takes you to the page where each dragon of that breed is listed. Maybe that would cut down loading time enough? I don't have thousands of dragons, so I'm not sure how much it would help.

Well, it depends on where the checkboxes are. Are they on the page where you have to click the breeding link and filter everything before the breeding page itself is loaded? Or are they on the breeding page itself, which would mean we'd need Mr. Flappy due to all the scripts needed for instant filtering. Right now, I have almost 4,500 dragons. About 67% of them are CB, so filtering CB dragons only would reduce the loading time to the same percentage. It'd be only 33% of the regular breeding page if I filtered for bred dragons only. Which isn't all that much of an improvement.

Considering we have about 150 different sprites of each gender in the standard dragon breeding group (including alts and color morphs), and I have dragons from almost all of them (save dinos and cheeses, which can't breed anyway, plus one in-cave breed...), my loading time for a breeding page where I have to choose the mate's breed first would mean that, at first, I'd have a loading time of 1/15 of what it is now. I have only a few breedable non-standard dragons, so for the sake of argument, I have roughly 4500 breedable adults. That makes roughly 2250 of each gender. A pre-selceting page for breeding that shows the 150 different sprites instead of the full list with 2250 electable mates. 150/21250 = 1/15. However, I'd have to click another link to find the actual mate. But since I don't hoard one breed excessively, this second loading time would be pretty short, showing a maximum of around 75 dragons. Which is half as much as the pre-select page. Overall, I'd have a loading time that's 10% of what it is now, in a worst-case scenario (that ignores general site lag for obvious reasons). The cost is simply clicking an extra link, while the benefit is that there's much less scrolling to do.

i'd like a list of dragon breeds that I could just go to and click on that would bring up the type for me that I'm looking for. This way I could dispense with figuring out where on earth in my 20 pages of dragons the ones I'm looking for to breed are hiding.

I'd like to just find the breed, be able to slap fertility on it, and then click on the next breed type to choose a mate. It is so time consuming having to scroll through thousands of mates over and over every time looking for the ONE pair I want to try.

i'd like a list of dragon breeds that I could just go to and click on that would bring up the type for me that I'm looking for. This way I could dispense with figuring out where on earth in my 20 pages of dragons the ones I'm looking for to breed are hiding.

I'd like to just find the breed, be able to slap fertility on it, and then click on the next breed type to choose a mate. It is so time consuming having to scroll through thousands of mates over and over every time looking for the ONE pair I want to try.

If you've unlocked hte breed in the Encyclopedia, you can Filter for it in Fertility. For instance, for me typing in "Thunder" brings up all dragons with "Thunder" in their name as well as all Thunder dragons.

But even still its not perfect (Mr. Flappy comes to mind). And breeding is still a problem, though I use ctrl+F to make it slightly less of a headache.

Cheers!

C4.

....well, that's annoying for all us older players who already have all they want of most breeds. No wonder I thought the fertility filter was broken when I first came back! If TJ was going to make unlocking breeds in the encyclopedia actually matter somewhere else on the site, he really needed to include all the dragons already on the scroll in the count. <.< I ended up getting a little obsessive and wasted a lot of time clicking dragons in the hatcheries to unlock my encyclopedia. At least now I know all that time actually had a use, unbreaking fertility for me.

Just be sure whatever you do won't be annoying to players who don't currently have a problem loading the breeding page. I can understand those with large scrolls and slow internet having trouble, but the solution needs to make things more convenient in general, not just be a help for those with internet trouble.

And I STILL hate the new fertility system, since it was so obnoxious when I first found it, even though it seems to be working properly now... So I'm in the camp that would prefer that to NOT be used for breeding too.... Plus there's the fact that it still tries to load your entire scroll before you have the chance to start filtering, so it probably won't be much of a help for those with internet troubles. Unless it's a different system where it only loads the previous mates automatically, and anything else requires using the filter? That might be ideal, although it would require remembering the official breed name or the dragon's name or code to be able to pull it up...

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Actually, with Fertility, you can enter your filter criterium while the page is loading, thereby conveniently speeding up the process. I tried that successfully during my internet problem.