Nalabyte

What is your gender?

What is your gender?  

287 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, in the IRC we were talking about gender ratios on DC. Since no one else did, I figured I'd make a new poll since the last one was done in 2010 😄

I've added in the appropriate options (i believe) So vote away!

If you're not sure what a term means, I suggest google as it helps a lot or you can mail me and I'll explain 😄

What gender are you/do you associate with? 😄

Edited by hazeh

I am totally male...

I do have an online friend who is transgender...

I have a personal friend who I think is trans, but they're still figuring it out? Idk.

Also there are a ton of girls on DC 0.0 (Including me)

Oh my goodness. I remember this topic. 

I’m a female. I’ve always wished I was a male. 

But ive met a guy and he’s straight and I really, really love him. Sooooo, I’m probably going to remain female. Not to mention I’d break my mum’s heart if I attempted to go down any paths. 

On 9/30/2018 at 2:28 AM, Evangeline said:

I’m a female. I’ve always wished I was a male.

Me too, actually. I don't think I'm transgender because it doesn't feel WRONG that I'm a girl or anything, I've just always thought being a guy would be better.

Also, looking at the poll, that's a large majority of females on DC, wow...

I'm hesitant to keep "transgender" as an option because that implies it's a separate gender from male or female or non-binary-- which it isn't. Does anyone (especially trans folk who this might affect) want to give some input (PM is fine too!) about this?

Personally, I'm a lady :D 

2 hours ago, hazeh said:

I'm hesitant to keep "transgender" as an option because that implies it's a separate gender from male or female or non-binary-- which it isn't. Does anyone (especially trans folk who this might affect) want to give some input (PM is fine too!) about this?

I think you're right, which is also why I think it's rather bizarre that you can select it as a gender itself on your profile here.

I'd imagine, though, that there are trans people who do like to use that to identify themselves, so it's hard to say. I know there are trans people who still like to use the terms mtf and ftm; maybe it would be appropriate to have the options "Transgender female" and "Transgender male" listed instead?

Edited by Tesla

20 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I think you're right, which is also why I think it's rather bizarre that you can select it as a gender itself on your profile here.

I'd imagine, though, that there are trans people who do like to use that to identify themselves, so it's hard to say. I know there are trans people who still like to use the terms mtf and ftm; maybe it would be appropriate to have the options "Transgender female" and "Transgender male" listed instead?

Hmm, perhaps. For now I've edited (hopefully) the poll to allow people to choose multiple options if they wish to do so. I can either leave it like that, add additional options, or remove transgender from the choices. I'll wait for some more input before I decide :) 

1 hour ago, hazeh said:

Hmm, perhaps. For now I've edited (hopefully) the poll to allow people to choose multiple options if they wish to do so. I can either leave it like that, add additional options, or remove transgender from the choices. I'll wait for some more input before I decide :) 

Oh oh, maybe you could put "Not listed here" or something. Can give people an option to explain their experience as a reply.=)

Edited by Tesla

Did something go wrong with editing the poll? The majority is suddenly male when yesterday it was female...

I'm female, but I don't give a damn about gender roles and I don't care about being misgendered, mistaken for a male (which I am frequently at work when customers send emails) and during school my (mostly male) friends sometimes told me I act more like a guy than a girl so ... dunno.

I sometimes think it'd be great to lose my breasts (they're annoying) and uterus (I never intend to use it anyway, I'd love to donate it to trans people) and get a penis so I can stand up while peeing. That'd be cool.

But I'm certainly not trans and none of tha above comes close to gender dysphoria some people suffer from. I don't hate my body nor do I feel wrong in it. It doesn't have any impact on my mental health.

The whole topic is rather hard for me to understand, as I don't do gender roles and therefore have a hard time of telling what's "male" or "female" and would like to just tone those terms down to the physical/biological aspect, but I know things aren't that easy (and biology doesn't give a damn about rules).

I don't think I fit in any of the categories. I'm female (body-wise), and never had any real issues with it - unless I'm grumpy with cramps.

But... I've got way too much hair for a "proper" female (and it extends...), and my thinking and behavioral patterns are way more "male" than "female". I've always preferred maths and science over any "soft" sciences and skills, I prefer dirty jokes and boisterous company over the commiserating and giggly kind, I stay as far away from other people's babies as I can (while trying to not come across as totally rude).

Does that make me genderqueer, maybe?

ETA: I do identify as female, but I just don't feel like I fit the mold. :) 

Edited by olympe

On 10/2/2018 at 10:24 AM, aqub said:

Me too, actually. I don't think I'm transgender because it doesn't feel WRONG that I'm a girl or anything, I've just always thought being a guy would be better.

Also, looking at the poll, that's a large majority of females on DC, wow...

I understand that feeling. However, at one time I wanted to be a boy so badly. I felt like I was accidentally misplaced in the wrong body. I was so sad that I was who I was. I didn’t feel right. I use to cross-dress and ignore “girly” activities. I’d always play with the boys more than other girls. 

I am definitely a lot happier with my gender these days than I was a couple years ago. It didn’t help that I was teased and judged a lot as a kid. I’ve got thick Italian hair and I was jealous because boys are allowed to have that. Shaving is a daily affair for me. 

Girls are also wonderful creations and I love every inch of them even though my parents believe that’s a sin. 

I’ve come to love myself a lot more these days. My boyfriend has helped me a lot with that.  He loves me for who I am and I’ve come to find some contentment. I’ve also moved the heck out of my parents’ house and had time to heal. 

I still wish I was a boy, a bit. Not enough to do anything about it anymore. But it’s still there. I’m tempted to try being in drag. I enjoy what little cross-dressing I do. 

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:30 AM, Gluria said:

I sometimes think it'd be great to lose my breasts (they're annoying) and uterus (I never intend to use it anyway, I'd love to donate it to trans people) and get a penis so I can stand up while peeing. That'd be cool.

But I'm certainly not trans and none of tha above comes close to gender dysphoria some people suffer from. I don't hate my body nor do I feel wrong in it. It doesn't have any impact on my mental health. 

I feel like this a lot too but I've never known how to put this into words?? like, I don't think im trans but maybe nonbinary or smth?? idk

Cis-gender person of the Female Variety, here.

I identify as "agender."  I have a friend who identifies as "bigender."  We are not the same gender.  

S/he says that s/he feels like they are both genders.

I feel like I am neither.  

But we would still use the same bathroom, if there was a third option for toilets.  

I work with little kids and they're always asking me if I'm a boy or a girl.  I tell them that sometimes I am a girl, but most of the time I am neither.  In my head, I'm always thinking of bathroom time as my "being a girl" time.  But if there was a third option, I would just go with "neither" all of the time.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:38 PM, hazeh said:

Yeah, it rubbed me kind of wrong at first too and wanted to comment specifically this.

I'm not trans, so I won't speak for what is or not hurtful, but I thought this might be?

Thanks for making the poll multi-options, at least that gives some leeway. 

Anyway, I'm a cis-girl, always felt pretty happy about being a woman. (I mean, apart from the sexism we endure and the Niagara falls every month, I think it's pretty neat. Our immune system is better anyway, yay!). 

Always been cis female, I guess. My brain doesn't care either way, but I like men, so being female increases my odds of finding a mate.

That sounded like my middle school science teacher...

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'm a person.

That works. Should totally be an option to select from!

Gender... I'm not 100% sure. I mean, biologically, I'm definitely female. But I also express some typically male traits. Like (sometimes excessive) body hair in places where only males should have it. Also, my way of thinking is pretty stereotypical male, and I've fought against being put into the female gender stereotype box pretty much since early youth. Does that make me queer?

35 minutes ago, olympe said:

Gender... I'm not 100% sure. I mean, biologically, I'm definitely female. But I also express some typically male traits. Like (sometimes excessive) body hair in places where only males should have it. Also, my way of thinking is pretty stereotypical male, and I've fought against being put into the female gender stereotype box pretty much since early youth. Does that make me queer?

Hmmm... I guess I can say that I have always identified myself as a female, ALTHOUGH I can sort of relate to what you wrote.

Interesting question.

I guess, myself,I always put it up to stereotypes NOT being accurate. 

Edited by JavaTigress

10 hours ago, JavaTigress said:

Interesting question.

I guess, myself,I always put it up to stereotypes NOT being accurate. 

This is KEY. Be yourself. Why do people need a label.

I was born a girl so I guess that's what I'll be until the day I die. I'm quite fine with it, while it's not 100% ideal to me, the thing that I want to be is impossible to achieve with modern science so I gotta stick with option #2.