Tinks.Mess

Event Assistance Suggestion

I'm on the fence.... But I mainly don't support... let me explain.

In terms of why I might support it:

As others have said, its no real affect on gameplay. No one is purchasing eggs, or buying some sort of advantage that is only available through purchase, its static or moving sprites meant for collecting and such. I can see how this would be a cute way to help those who have missed out on prior events to catch up and feel included I guess.

The reason why I mainly don't support:

What would be the price exchange? $1 = 1 treat? $1 = 4 treats? Thats the question.

TJ has made it clear before that Money is not an issue for the site, he has a job or two I believe which give him plenty of income according to him to support the site as a hobby rather than as an investment, meaning that the money gained from this would kind of be moot.

TJ doesn't really seem to be interested in adding in pay features regardless of what it may be seeing as as he already mentioned, the site is a hobby and not an investment since he has a job.

I feel like this is one of those "Think of the newbies" kind of things where people who are too buy or far too new miss out on certain events or don't complete them and this is some kind of sympathy feature for them. I don't like these, not because I am heartless or feel like I am better for having been involved or having had the time, but because I think a rational person understands that if there is no time to participate in an event that has no effect on their actual game play then there is no real loss. These events are generally easy and straight forward so having no time unless you are constantly working every second of the 16 hours you are not sleeping, then I find it hard to believe someone doesn't have the time to occasionally get on their phone and refresh a page (it could be the same page every time) to get a treat.

If its for the newbies, well they're new. Let them acclimate to the events, and earn their way through the game.

So its not so much a knee jer "NO PAY TO PLAY" kind of thing, its just more of a this isnt really something I could see getting implemented despite the good intentions. Its not really needed both monetarily and use wise. That's my opinion though.

How to do this so that it wont affect Christmas:

Have the option to buy the event items only be open AFTER the event has ended. This should prevent items from christmas being counted towards the raffle.

Me, Im pretty cool with this. Events do not affect anyone else BUT the scroll owner. Between me and the kids, we rarely have time to finish the Easter or Halloween events (Halloween is rough because I work a convention every year, and the kids need encouragement between the long waits to get everything). Between school, homework, family things and in the case of Halloween, me having to pack for that and find sitters for them while their dad works... there just isnt enough time.

I don't think it's just a new-player thing. There are a lot of life circumstances that might be different from what you talked about in regards to non-new players.

I really don't like the idea of paying for stuff on this site. Even if it was just event stuff. Id feel beter about it if you could only do it after the event was over, but I still don't like it. It feels like cheating.

I don't usually look at other people's scrolls in general so I don't have a frame of reference for this.... When people do look at other scrolls, do they sometimes look at the badges and say to themselves "oh so and so was there for the holiday event" and have that matter to them, or are the badges largely a personal thing?

Edited by diaveborn

I don't usually look at other people's scrolls in general so I don't have a frame of reference for this.... When people do look at other scrolls, do they sometimes look at the badges and say to themselves "oh so and so was there for the holiday event" and have that matter to them, or are the badges largely a personal thing?

I always thought it was largely a personal thing. I check out people's scrolls at times to see their badges but [since I've missed so many events] its mostly with a sigh of longing to have that myself and to at least possibly have experienced some of it... in SOME way... >.< But I do feel very happy for the people who have managed to participate in the event. :3

Hell even with my most recent badge in this Halloween event, I have NOTHING against people wanting to replay it and get a chance to live it again even further down the line. xd.png Just because I've been there, where they are, in terms of wanting to experience it too and have a chance to collect some of the collectables too and play those games. smile.gif One of my biggest regrets here on DC is missing the Mana game due to RL extreme relationship difficulties around that time. >.< Nah!

So I don't fully get where the people are coming from if they are complaining about other people getting those badges and treats too and having a second chance to play the games too. For me its more of "the MORE the MERRIER! :3" whereas those other people seem to be "NO!!! *HISSSSSSS* >^< I found it! You can't keep it! You weren't even THERE for it! GO AWAY!" as if the people getting a chance to get it too somehow... diminishes?... their own exploits? Yeah never got it.

Just my thoughts really. smile.gif

I only pay attention to the badges if I'm trying to determine if someone site-flaked. For example, if it's March, I'll check for a Valentines badge and a Christmas badge, and if both are missing I'll assume the player is on hiatus. If there's a Christmas badge but no Valentines it means they're probably on hiatus but I can't be as sure.

If I'm just looking at someone's scroll, I might notice a lot of badges and be somewhat impressed by how long someone's been playing, but it's sort of an absent-minded thing and usually I just pay attention to the dragons.

For what it's worth I don't pay attention to my own badges either. I notice when I get a new event one and that's it.

I always thought it was largely a personal thing. I check out people's scrolls at times to see their badges but [since I've missed so many events] its mostly with a sigh of longing to have that myself and to at least possibly have experienced some of it... in SOME way... >.< But I do feel very happy for the people who have managed to participate in the event. :3

Hell even with my most recent badge in this Halloween event, I have NOTHING against people wanting to replay it and get a chance to live it again even further down the line. xd.png Just because I've been there, where they are, in terms of wanting to experience it too and have a chance to collect some of the collectables too and play those games. smile.gif One of my biggest regrets here on DC is missing the Mana game due to RL extreme relationship difficulties around that time. >.< Nah!

So I don't fully get where the people are coming from if they are complaining about other people getting those badges and treats too and having a second chance to play the games too. For me its more of "the MORE the MERRIER! :3" whereas those other people seem to be "NO!!! *HISSSSSSS* >^< I found it! You can't keep it! You weren't even THERE for it! GO AWAY!" as if the people getting a chance to get it too somehow... diminishes?... their own exploits? Yeah never got it.

Just my thoughts really. smile.gif

I both do and dont understand that kind of mentality. I think its one of those things that people take pride in having participated and worked for what they have and it feels cheap when others just walz in a pay some extra cash to get something just for the sake of having it instead of experiencing it like they did.

I personally don't care, I just don't really see this as necessary in terms of having to pay for it. It doesn't feel like something worth paying. Even if its a cheap one time payment to get everything in go, it just doesn't feel like its something people would really invest money in just for some pixels that everyone literally got for free in a few spread out hours of playing. Most people don't even really hunt for the treats and stuff religiously, I see many take their time and check the site for treats when they want to/can and they get most if not all of the treats just fine.

Sure the sense of completion is fun, but all in all its really not worth pulling out money from my own wallet which can go to bills, food, personal more important putchases, etc, for some pixels just to feel included in an event I never really participated in anyways. If I missed it, I missed it, oh well maybe next year. Then again, thats just my personal view.

If this is something that would be implemented then as I said, a one time cheap payment to get everything in one go instead of paying per treat or ingredient, or whatever, to at least make it inexpensive for those that want to decide to pay for something like this.

I collected my first egg Oct 17, 2008 and spent quite a bit of time on the site so I don't feel like a newbie just wanting to have everything given to me nor was I wanting any sort of sympathy. Neither was I wanting to be able to purchase past event items.

I participate as much as I can when I can however, I have a family, I have a household, I have obligations that take priority. I used to have a job until my health issues became so bad that I'm not able to work. Sometimes my health puts me in a position where I cannot play or even log on, or it is impossible for me to be on for long periods of time. I enjoy seeing all the different dragons, I enjoy watching the eggs grow to hatchlings and eventually adults. I love making little families of dragons and I used to even write stories for each of my dragons. They have personalities and to me they each had their own distinct characteristics. At times I have quit because I felt that I was just falling behind and for me it isn't as much of a game as it is a site that fills my need for distraction and the last thing I really want is to feel like I am failing at something else.

I brought up the event assistance as a way for people who can't dedicate the time to collecting all the cute items or participate in gathering every ingredient to just have fun on their own page. I am not wanting a way for someone to cheat you out of a competition nor be able to jump ahead of you because they just purchased their way along. I was wanting a way for people like me to be able to look back at all these little gems that DC artists make, I was wanting a way for people with limited time to be able to have fun on their own page participating in their own special events. Maybe I am 'playing' this all wrong because honestly I don't see where this is a interactive game which would require you to be on all the time in order to get the full experience.

Personally, I don't see where me being able to look in my personal Halloween bucket and see the different icons interferes with your game play... maybe bragging rights but not your personal experience.

As to price I figured TJ would know what would be considered a fair price. Also as to the financial condition of the site I was going with the thought that every little bit helps. If he has two jobs and doesn't need the money then I am very happy for him however as a fan of the site and someone who has purchased items in the past I didn't see where the site having a little extra money would hurt.

I hope this explains my intent a little better as it seemed that there were some who felt slighted (offended) by my suggestion and that was not something I wanted... after all it was (is) just an idea smile.gif

Edited by Tinks.Mess

Not offended at all. But I DON'T think badges should be available this way. Treats and Easter Eggs - no problem. BUT they should not be buyable during the event itself, I think. Or at least the CURRENT ones shouldn't.

It seems like every two weeks or so lately, someone pops up with a "cool idea!" that involves paying for something on DC, that you can get just thru time and hard work. And it's always the newer players, many who are used to pay for play type games that are rampant on the net nowadays.

90% of the time, people who want to "pay" in some way, for special items, rares, prizes, etc, are just to lazy to work at getting those same items.

They see those of us who have those things, and think, I want it now now now too!!!

OR they came in after the events and now want the same stuff as those of us who were here for it.

I joined after the Hollys. I'll never get a CB holly unless I win a prize. But that's ok see, I can try to trade for a low gen. It's part of the game.

But we've all worked and traded, and mainlined coffee to get our scrolls the way they are, and it took most of us a very long time.

If you don't want to work for it, you don't deserve it.

If you honestly don't have time for it (work, family), then you probably shouldn't play this game.

It really is that simple. No pay for anything- and that includes badges and items you didn't work at to get. - Keep DC pure and original pls.

Edit: If badges and items from Event games became buyable....what's the point then of ANY of us playing the games? Just buy it.

Edited by Riverwillows

Not offended at all. But I DON'T think badges should be available this way. Treats and Easter Eggs - no problem. BUT they should not be buyable during the event itself, I think. Or at least the CURRENT ones shouldn't.

How do you propose people access the treats, then, since currently the only way is to go through your trick-or-treat bucket badge?

It seems like every two weeks or so lately, someone pops up with a "cool idea!" that involves paying for something on DC, that you can get just thru time and hard work. And it's always the newer players, many who are used to pay for play type games that are rampant on the net nowadays.

While I don't disagree with this (and such threads have been a thing for forever, honestly, if you consider the "trade adults", "take adults from the wilderness", "get more rares" suggestions), the OP of this suggestion isn't someone I would consider a newbie. They've been around at least 5 years.

90% of the time, people who want to "pay" in some way, for special items, rares, prizes, etc, are just to lazy to work at getting those same items.

Using your numbers, this would appear to be the 10% case.

But we've all worked and traded, and mainlined coffee to get our scrolls the way they are, and it took most of us a very long time.

If you don't want to work for it, you don't deserve it.

If you honestly don't have time for it (work, family), then you probably shouldn't play this game.

Yes, but... that doesn't really apply here? We're not talking about buying CBs, holiday or otherwise. We're not talking about buying rares. (We're not even talking about buying something people can trade for, or I'm sure some would trade a pretty dragon or two for some treats!) We're not talking about buying Christmas raffle tickets. We're talking about someone dropping a few dollars for the trick-or-treat baubles. There's absolutely no gameplay advantage for those who have some or all the treats. The event is purely aesthetic. And that's why I'm able to support the suggestion - it's purely for one's personal enjoyment and doesn't hurt or disadvantage anyone else in the process.

Saying "if you don't have time for it" isn't exactly a fair comparison to normal play either, imo. Normal play does support a lurker-ish playstyle because you can grab or breed stuff, chuck it in a hatchery, and do RL things for 2-3 days, then come back and do it again. The Halloween event gives you a very firm, relatively short deadline with fairly wide spacing between item drops, so you can't really wedge it into the usual short slice of time spent on the computer.

Edit: If badges and items from Event games became buyable....what's the point then of ANY of us playing the games? Just buy it.

Some of us aren't financially well off enough to buy the stuff. I've had some unexpected bills come up recently and I'll be more or less broke for the next several months. But I'm fortunate enough to have the time to play the event, and I enjoy playing it, so I would continue to play the event.

Some, such as OP, may have the opposite situation - RL things taking up time or preventing a lot of Internet access, but some money left in the bank at the end of the month.

Edited by AGYK

Meh. I still say no to anything pay. That's never been DC. It ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Meh. I still say no to anything pay. That's never been DC. It ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

And I respect your opinion. You have stated it very clearly and I believe we all understand that you are against anything that would take money in DC.

Anyone else have any thoughts or opinions?

I believe that badges, treats, and whatever are rewards for participation and should be given for participation. I really don't like the idea of bypassing the participation aspect of the experience. If one puts in the time to collect the collection items and get the badges, they get a feeling of satisfaction and achievement that would be cheapened if others got the same items without putting in the time and effort.

I believe that badges, treats, and whatever are rewards for participation and should be given for participation. I really don't like the idea of bypassing the participation aspect of the experience. If one puts in the time to collect the collection items and get the badges, they get a feeling of satisfaction and achievement that would be cheapened if others got the same items without putting in the time and effort.

I thought this was supposed to get the event completed by paying, while you'd still have to be there during the holidays? Like, you could complete your trick or treat set by paying, but only while they are dropping anyway? You'd still have to be there, but instead of a couple of hours you'd have to put in a couple of dollars. That does show dedication in my opinion, just in a different way.

I don't have a problem with this (wouldn't use it myself, though), as the holidays are a very busy time. For events that are a single day duration, it does make things tricky for people who work and/or have hefty family commitments, especially if the event (Halloween, Valentine's day, etc) falls on a regular workday.

I'm perfectly ok with this. Being someone who DOES have RL interrupt pretty much constantly, having an option to get these things in a way that doesn't require you spend hours every day refreshing the screen would be a great thing to have. Like someone said, pay with money, not time.

So long as it NEVER involves dragons of any kind, I'm good with it. It won't get anyone anything that someone else couldn't get, and instead would get someone items they wouldn't otherwise be able to get. Save their time for more important things, like dragons. wink.gif

If I'm just looking at someone's scroll, I might notice a lot of badges and be somewhat impressed by how long someone's been playing, but it's sort of an absent-minded thing and usually I just pay attention to the dragons.

For what it's worth I don't pay attention to my own badges either. I notice when I get a new event one and that's it.

This is pretty much me, too. I use it as a very slight indicator of how long someone's been playing and/or how dedicated they are, but it doesn't influence my interactions with them.

I don't have anything against this as an idea, esp. if implemented *after* the event. I missed some Easter eggs a couple of years ago because Life happened, but I'm not butt-hurt over it or anything and I don't think I would use this feature to "catch up" with them if it were available, but I wouldn't deny others the opportunity to complete their collection in this way if they felt they needed to.

Why can't participation equal participation by paying?

Also if participation *needs* to be by sitting at the computer, what about

another way to do it would be to pay for a "buff" - for example, make the treats appear every couple of minutes instead of what it is now.  That would make it so that time still had to be put in, which might be a good compromise if one is needed.

Why can't participation equal participation by paying?

Also if participation *needs* to be by sitting at the computer, what about

another way to do it would be to pay for a "buff" - for example, make the treats appear every couple of minutes instead of what it is now.  That would make it so that time still had to be put in, which might be a good compromise if one is needed.

I do know that TJ doesn't approve of the slippery slope analogy, so instead I would say that's a wedge in the door of a pay to play site which is unequal - the one thing that sets this game above most others.

Buying last year's treats - which do not affect game play anyway - is one thing. I can see newer players wanting to collect non-game related things which will never be obtainable again otherwise. Setting paying members above those putting in the time to catch CURRENT ones is a quite different kettle of fish, and I would not support it.

If you don't participate by playing - why play ? Then we could have people just checking the news thread "Oh, new stuff, here's my $10; thanks very much, back to minecraft." NO.

If you don't participate by playing - why play ? Then we could have people just checking the news thread "Oh, new stuff, here's my $10; thanks very much, back to minecraft." NO.

As the first post said - some people don't have time if they have to do it themselves. Finding time to come on now and again is rather time consuming. I made ToT this year but I barely brewed any potions and I forgot to breed most my good Halloween lines due to time. xP

(Also, I don't see what's wrong if someone wants to pay DC $10 to play Minecraft - at least just to buy event items. =p )

To clarify my opinion, the reason I'm so against ANY kind of pay-to-play, is because right now, the playing field is pretty even. Everyone who puts in the time has equal chance at the Cave, barring connection speed.

If money comes into it, that greatly skews the chances for those who have the money to spare. Those who don't, will feel resentful and it will cause bad vibes and WILL result in altering the whole cave ambiance we all currently enjoy. I have seen this happen over and over again in other games that I've played that were fun, then money came into it.

Again, if you can't put in the time to participate, you really should not play this game.

As the first post said - some people don't have time if they have to do it themselves. Finding time to come on now and again is rather time consuming. I made ToT this year but I barely brewed any potions and I forgot to breed most my good Halloween lines due to time. xP

(Also, I don't see what's wrong if someone wants to pay DC $10 to play Minecraft - at least just to buy event items. =p )

To buy event items AFTER THE EVENT - sure. Events can be hell, I realise that - come at the wrong time and so on.

But if you come to DC to play - that's what it's for, isn't it ? If you can't find the time that's very sad, but still. Not having time to breed - it wouldn't take that much less time to pay for someone else to do it. Ugh.

I also agree with Riverwillows. But treats aren't PLAY - so that's relatively harmless - as long as it is only for PAST treats.