Tinks.Mess

Event Assistance Suggestion

OK I am sure this is going to upset several people mad.gif but just hear me out.

What if TJ had a holiday market? unsure.gif

Some place where people could pay for ingredients or Tricks /Treats etc. for different events?

The money could go to helping run the cave & the forum plus all the other things that go into what TJ does for us wub.gif .

Also, I'm NOT saying to make special ingredients or Tricks or treats etc. that can ONLY be purchased.

YES I know that part of the fun is hunting for the items. YES I understand that being able to get all 58 Tricks & Treats's and I don't know how many ingredients are what show's you are a true 'fan'. poptartFINALTINY.gif

HOWEVER - Some people just don't have the time due to work, school, kids, families, responsibilities that do not allow them to spend the hours and hours that hunting these items require.

I'm just suggesting that for those people who want to participate with their dragons /accounts not have to make the choice or lose out with the event, due to real life. Give them an opportunity to pay with their wallets instead of their time.

TJ could put a 1 time limit on purchasing ingredients /items etc. and make buying the Tricks /Treats a separate purchases so that you only have to pay for what it is you need /want to participate. I know for me it would help me be able to participate and I am sure I am not alone.

Just a thought sad.gif

Let the firing squad commence.

I think from reading what people have said in the past, a lot of times there is a feeling of "the badge is what shows you were there at that time and participated and put the time/effort in, and the event was important to you because you put time in." But why not say "the badge is what shows you were there at that time, and supported the site either by clicking and ad views or by monetary support, and the event was important to you because you put time and/or money in"?

The issue of if TJ should lose the relative uniqueness of this site in that there is nothing to pay for with real money besides ad removal is a separate one and one I am not sure about, but I don't see why the badges can't still signify the specialness that they always have even if you can purchase something towards it.

DC is not a pay-to-play game. I understand your intent in this suggestion and honestly I don't think such a thing would be harmful to the game. I don't see a problem with games having pay features so long as they are designed to be fair to people who are unable or unwilling to pay - generally by making it possible to access the feature without having to pay for it. That issue is not present in your suggestion because people who didn't want to pay could just play the game normally.

However, that's all beside the point because it's already been made very clear by TJ that DC is not a game with features involving real money, with the single and sole exception of the $5 ad-removal thing. Any feature involving real money spending is going to be shot down 99.9% of the time solely BECAUSE it involves real money. To a lot of people, DC is an oasis from the rest of the gaming world, which usually has at least some degree of pay features. Even the best-balanced site, I guess, is still too much for many people, so they really enjoy having at least one game where there is nothing to be paid for. Now, I don't personally feel that way, but the vocal majority of the site's playerbase does seem to, and it comes up every time someone makes any kind of suggestion with real money involved. So don't be surprised if you get a very negative response based on that alone.

In short, no support simply because this is a doomed idea. It was worth a shot, but the history of DC suggestions clearly shows it's not going to fly with most of the userbase or with TJ.

That fine with me as long as I can still collect the things on my own and I, personally, don't have to pay for event items. xd.png

Whether or not it will go through, is another thing.

Edited by Lady Dragoon

DC is not a pay-to-play game. I understand your intent in this suggestion and honestly I don't think such a thing would be harmful to the game. I don't see a problem with games having pay features so long as they are designed to be fair to people who are unable or unwilling to pay - generally by making it possible to access the feature without having to pay for it. That issue is not present in your suggestion because people who didn't want to pay could just play the game normally.

Agreed. As such, I can casually support the idea. I'm personally indifferent since I would never use it, but I see no reason against implementing it either.

However, that's all beside the point because it's already been made very clear by TJ that DC is not a game with features involving real money, with the single and sole exception of the $5 ad-removal thing.

Are you sure? TJ has asked, very recently, exactly what the playerbase thought about paid features.

The playerbase as a whole may be vocally anti-paid-anything, but I'm not so sure about TJ in cases like this. He's made it clear he doesn't want to implement pay-to-win, but I don't think he's particularly opposed to suggestions such as this one.

But why not say "the badge is what shows you were there at that time, and supported the site either by clicking and ad views or by monetary support, and the event was important to you because you put time and/or money in"?

That's an interesting thought, why not?

If getting the whole set of treats is important enough for someone to pay money for it, I'm not really opposed to the option as long as there are no disadvantages for users who don't pay. Also: Every year I see people saying that they are not interested in the Trick or Treat collecting, and only do so to make them stop popping up everywhere. So if you could donate some small amount of money, fill your basket at once and continue playing without being interrupted by treats? I don't see much harm in it.

However, I'm not sure if it should also be possible for the christmas events, as those generate tickets for the raffle. On the other hand, as long as the maximum amount of raffle tickets that you can get is the same, I don't even see the harm when it comes to christmas events. It would be up to you whether you invest time or money to reach the same goal. As long as the outcome is the same, I'm ok with it.

Edited by Ha-Ki

Well, that was his attitude in the past. However, it is certainly possible that he is reconsidering. However, there is still a very vocal anti-paid-feature faction in the playerbase and if his decision is being guided by what the players think, I feel it is very unlikely that things will change. I could be wrong, but we'll see.

Are you sure? TJ has asked, very recently, exactly what the playerbase thought about paid features.

The playerbase as a whole may be vocally anti-paid-anything, but I'm not so sure about TJ in cases like this. He's made it clear he doesn't want to implement pay-to-win, but I don't think he's particularly opposed to suggestions such as this one.

AGYK, can you tell me where TJ asked this question as I would love to bring it up to him.

Also, I want to make clear a couple of issues I have seen.

1. - I am NOT suggesting /asking for DC to be made Pay to play. What I am suggesting is a market for events ingredients alone.

2 - I am not asking for special items. ALL ingredients /items would STILL be available to hunt as they are now... this would just be a way for people who do not have the time to hunt to be able to participate.

3 - Badges. I have the Halloween event badge right now on my page, it will stay there even if I only ever collect 1 item total.

4 - I also made the suggestion that it could be limited to 1 purchase per event so that way it would not be able to be abused.

That's an interesting thought, why not?

If getting the whole set of treats is important enough for someone to pay money for it, I'm not really opposed to the option as long as there are no disadvantages for users who don't pay. Also: Every year I see people saying that they are not interested in the Trick or Treat collecting, and only do so to make them stop popping up everywhere. So if you could donate some small amount of money, fill your basket at once and continue playing without being interrupted by treats? I don't see much harm in it.

However, I'm not sure if it should also be possible for the christmas events, as those generate tickets for the raffle. On the other hand, as long as the maximum amount of raffle tickets that you can get is the same, I don't even see the harm when it comes to christmas events. It would be up to you whether you invest time or money to reach the same goal. As long as the outcome is the same, I'm ok with it.

This is exactly what I am suggesting Ha-Ki, thank you for rewording it in a way that maybe others will understand better <3

However, I'm not sure if it should also be possible for the christmas events, as those generate tickets for the raffle.

I think I agree with this, as having a prize dragon definitely affords in-game advantages unlike the event games/collections/badges themselves.

Considering the events only affect a player's scroll and do not have anything to do with gameplay nor would it cause an unfair advantage over those that can't pay I don't see any problem with it.

I, personally, like putting in the work myself. If I can collect every treat, every year, along with whatever other event is going on, while working and/or going to school and having limited time I really don't see why others can't. But if people would actually use this feature, I have no objections. Just because I'm weird and have to do everything myself doesn't mean others want to or even can.

AGYK, can you tell me where TJ asked this question as I would love to bring it up to him.

He asked for opinions in this thread, but eventually closed it because it wasn't a productive discussion, just a lot of arguing about only marginally related things.

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...0entry8888945

Edited by DragonLady86

It initially came up here, where someone suggested a gender-swapping option as a paid feature. The resulting feedback was so strong that Socky opened a new thread just for paid perk discussion, which is here (and locked).

2 - I am not asking for special items. ALL ingredients /items would STILL be available to hunt as they are now... this would just be a way for people who do not have the time to hunt to be able to participate.

And this, in a nutshell, is why I have no problem with your suggestion. But I think you'll find much of the playerbase hates the very thought of paid features, hence the arguing.

Please post your own opinions, not what you think other users (including TJ) will think of the suggestion. It makes it hard to gauge user opinion when you're not posting your opinion!

~

The events are really like a sidebar to the DC game. They're for fun and really don't affect gameplay. Therefore, something like this is something I would actually be okay with users paying for. Events are time consuming, and while I refuse to give money to any game, I don't mind if others do it. You're not buying Halloween dragons. Just some trick-or-treats or, using this year as an example, potions. I'm not sure buying event completion would work for all the events we have had, but for the ones appropriate, sure. I'm fine with it. ^^

Since it's not actually affecting anything in cave, I don't really mind. Other people getting the things I'm going to get throughout the week in a day at the cost of a few bucks doesn't hurt me, and it might help the cave.

I had a thought - using the trick or treat treat buckets as an example, one way to do it would be to pay for a specific number/percentage of the treats. But another way to do it would be to pay for a "buff" - for example, make the treats appear every couple of minutes instead of what it is now. That would make it so that time still had to be put in, which might be a good compromise if one is needed.

Honestly for something like the Trick-or-Treat items I'm indifferent since I wouldn't use it. I don't see how it would hurt anyone, especially if you could still get the items normally, and it would get some revenue for the site. Win-win, as far as I can see.

For events that affect the raffles it might be an issue, though. Not sure how to deal with that quagmire.

While I would never use the option, this is one 'pay for play' idea I could support.... with ONE caveat.... it could NEVER be used to buy raffle tickets. Any other holiday item, no problem, but NOT tickets.

The events are really like a sidebar to the DC game. They're for fun and really don't affect gameplay. Therefore, something like this is something I would actually be okay with users paying for. Events are time consuming, and while I refuse to give money to any game, I don't mind if others do it. You're not buying Halloween dragons. Just some trick-or-treats or, using this year as an example, potions. I'm not sure buying event completion would work for all the events we have had, but for the ones appropriate, sure. I'm fine with it. ^^

Events - don't care; fine. Treats - OK, I guess. Badges - I DO think you should have to BE there to get the actual badge - so OK, get a single treat to get the badge, buy the rest IN THAT YEAR.

And I DO like this:

But another way to do it would be to pay for a "buff" - for example, make the treats appear every couple of minutes instead of what it is now. That would make it so that time still had to be put in, which might be a good compromise if one is needed.

ANYTHING that affects actual game play or gets you raffle tickets more easily - NO NO NO !

Excellent idea as long as you can still earn them while collecting.

Hmm. I think it should be pay OR play, myself. ^^

~

As for raffles, I'm on the fence, myself.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'm always knee-jerk NO about paid perks of any kind. Always. No exception.

But.... Exception? Since these events are strictly your-own-scroll, doesn't affect actual gameplay at *all*, doesn't give any kind of special attentions or perks... I think I could get on board with this one.

But I agree, NOT for the Christmas event. That would basically mean buying raffle tickets, and that's No.

Excellent idea as long as you can still earn them while collecting.

That is totally what I am wanting also. smile.gif

As to those who are concerned with Raffle tickets I agree it wouldn't be fair to directly buy raffle tickets, I think they should be earned however is required that year. I would hope that you could still get the raffle tickets like everyone else however if you are doing the same work.

We generally get 7 days to complete or just play with these events. We get the badge for any amount of participation. Beyond the badge we get whatever amount of treats, eggs or whatever we make time for over the 7 days. If we get everything, we get everything. If for whatever reason we don't get everything I don't think there is any reason to make it possible to get everything in some other way. If we don't choose to give it the time to get everything or something happens that prevents us from doing so that's life.

Personally, I wouldn't use it - but I support this suggestion. Because...

1. ... what you get doesn't affect gameplay, ...
  2. ... is completely optional, ...
  3. ... independent of the acutal game...
  4. ... and doesn't give you any kind of permanent advantage over other players..

It doesn't hurt anybody, is in no way similar to any pay-to-win feature and would give TJ some well deserved cash.

Personally, I wouldn't use it - but I support this suggestion. Because...

It doesn't hurt anybody, is in no way similar to any pay-to-win feature and would give TJ some well deserved cash.

Exactly that is my thought for it... no real advantage and it helps out DC & TJ wub.gif