Tinks.Mess

Event Assistance Suggestion

To clarify my opinion, the reason I'm so against ANY kind of pay-to-play, is because right now, the playing field is pretty even. Everyone who puts in the time has equal chance at the Cave, barring connection speed.

If money comes into it, that greatly skews the chances for those who have the money to spare. Those who don't, will feel resentful and it will cause bad vibes and WILL result in altering the whole cave ambiance we all currently enjoy. I have seen this happen over and over again in other games that I've played that were fun, then money came into it.

Again, if you can't put in the time to participate, you really should not play this game.

I can agree with you on actual gameplay, but something like these holiday events mainly FoE and ToT there is really nothing wrong with users wanting to purchase their treats as far as I'm concerned. Nothing is taken away from you or me gameplay wise if a busy mother who had to work and help her kids on halloween go trick or treating or a college student who actually wanted to enjoy their halloween night instead of sitting in front of a computer clicking on pixel to come on the day after or two days after and pay $10 to get the treats they missed. If they've missed previous years then they can pay for that too.

Again I'm on the fence about this but I'm more in a "sure why not" attitude. Its not taking away from my gameplay or giving anyone an advantage I cannot obtain without paying or wasting copious amounts of time to obtain so why not? I don't really think its worth paying $10 for pixels but if people wanna waste their money like that its theirs to waste as they please.

If you don't participate by playing - why play ?

That's what the whole idea of the "buff" instead of just giving all the treats is based on. Allowing you to pay to reduce the time, but still requiring you to play.

I don't know how that would be a wedge in a door to a pay to play site. If he wanted to, TJ could make up his mind to allow purchases for this kind of thing but not other kinds of things. And I think he did say he didn't want to allow pay to play anyway, so I don't know that we need to worry about that.

Again, if you can't put in the time to participate, you really should not play this game.

And if someone can put in the time 98% of the time but are too busy during holidays, they shouldn't be playing this game just because of that 2%? I hate telling people what games they should or should not play. =(

And if someone can put in the time 98% of the time but are too busy during holidays, they shouldn't be playing this game just because of that 2%? I hate telling people what games they should or should not play. =(

Would you not be OK with only being able to buy the treats AFTER the event, though ? I'd be fine with that, and if you weren't there isn't that what would happen anyway ?

I'm not up for ANYTHING paid that affects game play, though. Buy your holiday dragons so you can go to the school carol service - sorry, important though that is, but no.

I was without internet access for seven months, got back on I think about an hour before last year's Halloween Event shut down.

I felt lucky to be able to grab that year's new Halloween dragons (which wouldn't have been possible in that length of time, if they'd Dropped as they did this year,) and zip though the little Adventure.

For the first time ever, having been here for every Holiday Event apart from the Hollies, I missed most of the Halloween treats, having only a few of them, and while it sucks, that's a part of my history. I could look at the ToT on other people's scrolls to see them, but for me, of course, the dragons are the big thing anyway. Even if I could, I wouldn't pay to have my history changed, although I can see where others would like to.

But paying for anything other than game-unrelated replacement of ad funding does create a precedent and normalizes the idea that those with more money get more perks than they may already have, with being able to afford faster systems than can most members.

The accumulating advantages accorded to the more affluent beyond that inherent to their basic ability to pay for better everything/a smoother path has resulted in societal, political and ecological disaster in the real world and I personally kinda hate to think of DC as moving more toward the route which has resulted in so much warm, yellow trickle-down in the RL which we come here to get away from.

Would you not be OK with only being able to buy the treats AFTER the event, though ? I'd be fine with that, and if you weren't there isn't that what would happen anyway ?

I'm not up for ANYTHING paid that affects game play, though. Buy your holiday dragons so you can go to the school carol service - sorry, important though that is, but no.

Pretty much this. I don't see why someone has to be here, catching all the treats. If they are too busy that week dealing with maybe hosting a halloween arty, running around getting their kids their costumes, working longer hours due to the last minute rushes during that week, etc, why not give them the option to get the treats they missed after the event is over. This would be nice for something like FoE and ToT. If you were too busy during that week or so due to family, work, personal occurances, then why not have a cheap option to buy that holiday's ToT/FoE group?

There could even be like If you got most but not all $2 to complete your set. If you missed it entirely, $5 to get the whole set. If you missed two years in a row, $10 for the whole set, etc so that people can get treats from way back when but in order to do so you pay $5 for every complete set you need $2 to complete any incomplete set you have. These treats do not affect gameplay, are not a purchased perk, do not give buyers special eggs no one can get, does not give them a special advantage, etc. Its simple, useless, pretty to look at and collect pixels.

My post was purely about the attitude of "do not play if you do not have the time 100% of the time". But since you are specifically asking me about timing, my preferred method would be pay OR play events during the event. Then it is still all the same time and over at the same time. And it is people who had a few minutes to stop buy during the season and "participate". While interesting, I do not really like the idea of making this retroactive. I like the original suggestion that it is just a way for those who are here but do not have the time to still get into some holiday spirit.

Fuzz, I love you, but I am not sure where your last point comes from. This thread is about treats/applicable events and I think everyone here, including myself, who has said sure has specified that this wouldn't extend to dragons. I used the fact that I ended up not having enough time to breed purely as an example of an active player who got too busy to handle an event. I certainly was not advocating I would be able to buy extra time to breed. I missed the breeding period and that is that.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

My post was purely about the attitude of "do not play if you do not have the time 100% of the time". But since you are specifically asking me about timing, my preferred method would be pay OR play events during the event. Then it is still all the same time and over at the same time. And it is people who had a few minutes to stop buy during the season and "participate". While interesting, I do not really like the idea of making this retroactive. I like the original suggestion that it is just a way for those who are here but do not have the time to still get into some holiday spirit.

Fuzz, I love you, but I am not sure where your last point comes from. This thread is about treats/applicable events and I think everyone here, including myself, who has said sure has specified that this wouldn't extend to dragons. I used the fact that I ended up not having enough time to breed purely as an example of an active player who got too busy to handle an event. I certainly was not advocating I would be able to buy extra time to breed. I missed the breeding period and that is that.

I know, lovely thing, wub.gif but a FEW people have worded posts in a way that suggested they should be able to buy past holiday dragons. Also there was the bit suggesting we could pay to have the treats drop faster - things like that. I'd like to see this, if it were to happen, ONLY for paying POST event. I don't see the need to wait a year to buy those treats - but I do think it should take place AFTER the event. At any time afterwards - but AFTER ! This would also cover slow clickers etc - after the event is over $5 (or whatever) buys you all the treats from x year that you missed. That might be that last one or all of them - one sum covers all.

We could have the option to pay to finish (treat part only) events be limited further by having the option ONLY be available for x amount of time AFTER the event. That way, new players a month from now wont get the treats you guys so desperately want to keep as a status symbol of time here.

Im thinking flat rates though: Pay $5, get the treats you missed (be it one or all, doesnt matter) BUT you have to of at least logged in during the event (to prevent people getting badges they wouldnt have had access to otherwise)

This option should only exist for ToT and Easter egg hunting. If collection is a required part of future raffles, then the items involved would only be available AFTER the event, when they are no longer counting towards being raffle items.

Honestly though, I see no reason not to offer this option. People treat collections do not impact game play in any way. Its really no different than ad subscription: no real advantages.

If it happens at all, I can't see why you can't get the ones from ALL past events. It's the BADGE that shows you were here. And yes, not Christmas things - or anything that could buy you into a raffle.

I'll admit it. I have a deep fear of allowing ANYTHING to be available for pay on DC. Why? Cause that's how it starts. If one....then why not this? And if that, than this also.....it's insidious. And it WILL happen. Yes, it will. I've been a part of too many "free to play" games, where this happened. And ruined it eventually. EVERY TIME!!

Neopets. The Sims Resource (where I was a very popular recolorist until I wised up), Perfect World, Star Trek online, Neverwinter....the list goes on.

All started out great. People were at the same level of opportunity. Then came a few small items for pay. No biggie. Then a few more. Ok, I can live with it. Then a few more.....Most of those games now you can't really play unless you fork over money for the real good stuff. They are all ruined.

I just don't want DC to get like that. I'm sorry if you all think I'm unreasonable. But I've seen it happen. Too many times. If I miss out due to my RL issues, that's my problem. I'm not going to ask the game to change for me.

Please, no.

Edited by Riverwillows

Seems like a nice idea. Good for DCave to help with revenue and good for people that are annoyed by treats popping up all over while hunting. Could also be bundled onto a tier with the subscription system for easies.

I'll admit it. I have a deep fear of allowing ANYTHING to be available for pay on DC. Why? Cause that's how it starts. If one....then why not this? And if that, than this also.....it's insidious. And it WILL happen. Yes, it will. I've been a part of too many "free to play" games, where this happened. And ruined it eventually. EVERY TIME!!

Neopets. The Sims Resource (where I was a very popular recolorist until I wised up), Perfect World, Star Trek online, Neverwinter....the list goes on.

All started out great. People were at the same level of opportunity. Then came a few small items for pay. No biggie. Then a few more. Ok, I can live with it. Then a few more.....Most of those games now you can't really play unless you fork over money for the real good stuff. They are all ruined.

I just don't want DC to get like that. I'm sorry if you all think I'm unreasonable. But I've seen it happen. Too many times. If I miss out due to my RL issues, that's my problem. I'm not going to ask the game to change for me.

Please, no.

The funny thing is though DC already has a pay thing, pay a monthly sub to remove ads. Considerably yes this idea would be another add on to the things we can pay to get or remove but considering how TJ has said already that money is not an issue and he is not looking to get a profit from a hobby, then whats the harm in having a few non game altering bits be pay to get.

Again, this idea does not involve a user getting anything you already can't get or havent gotten, if you've collected all ToT from 2010 to now then really its not taking away from you. If you missed some then you have a chance to collect them all or finish your collection and have them all.

The reason many free to play sites end up getting lost in the money making is because they actually put those pay to play features in place to make profit out of the site. They treat it as an investment rather than how TJ treats this as a hobby. He already has a well paying job, he doesnt need to make money off of DC. Others put up a site and put in all these pay to play features because hosting a site and taking the time to code in features, upgrading packages for more bandwith and less lag, new adoptables, events, etc gets costly aside from time consuming. They need to make some money off their website, otherwise its not worth the time to run.

So keep that in mind when you compare all those other sites to DC. DC is not an investment for TJ, TJ has a job, hes stated it before and hes even asked about his job in the ask-a-mod section. Hes stated before as well that money is no issue in terms of running DC so we can all hopefully assume that TJ is not looking to make any if much profit from running DC. DC is his hobby, he runs this site for us and the fact that he hasnt left us out in the cold because he has a job is amazing on his part.

In terms of how these treats should be paid for: I really feel that as I mentioned before, it should be paid individually per year of treats you want to complete/obtain. So if you have all but 2012 treats, you pay $5 to get all the treats. If you have all of them but 2011 and 2012 are half done or missing a few, its $2 to complete what you are missing. I think its fair this way. I don't know.

I feel like I am barking up a flagpole, but I'll make one more point, then I'm done.

If the treats and other "non-game altering things" can be bought, then what's the point of even playing the games that get you those during the Event? Just buy them afterwards.

The questing to get these treats and other icons, is the whole point of the Event, and if you don't get them all, well, it's the same chances that everyone gets. That's what makes DC fun, the challenge. No challenge, why bother? The treats are badges of participation, if you didnt participate, should you still be able to buy the trophy? Seems wrong somehow.

And calling them "non-game altering" is not true, because they ARE part of the game, and not trying for them, playing the Events, alters the game for you, then you come on here and moan about how it should be pay for these things, and that potentially will alter the game for everyone else.

Anyway, like I said, banging my head against an apparent brick wall, people will get what they want eventually, by wearing TJ down. sigh. Whatever. sad.gif

Edited by Riverwillows

@Riverwillows:

My support for this doesn't mean I support pay to play. 3/4 major events of the year take place during major holidays, that generally lead to family get togethers, traveling, and sheer chaos. Of those, one takes place during a huge 4 day convention for me.

2 of those take place during vacation times where kids are home from school, where a person may be having to balance babysitters, work, holiday traditions, potential traveling.

My compromise of "You have to at least log in during the event" gives those people with high obligations during those event periods a chance to collect the items, but they still miss out on the event itself. They wouldnt get the event perks (of having done the actual event outside of collecting treats or eggs). If its a decoration event, they wont have had the option to actually decorate. If its card giving, they wont be able to send cards. The gardening thing, well, they wouldnt have the flowers as you had to swap those out. Our events have evolved and a lot of the time, outside of ToT and egg collection itself, the items you pick up, dont stick around after the event. Only the end product.

This is why I see no harm in allowing people who /tried/ to be here to at least get collection items. The fact they they might end up with an undecorated (cave, garden, tree, wreath) shows they didnt do the event, or chose not to. The lack of cards and various gifts sent out to friends, would show they weren't here. I hate seeing the badges as a status symbol. By at least logging in, the badge is given. They dont log in, they dont get a badge. They dont have a badge, then the option to buy would not be there. Life is more important than a game, and their reasons for missing the event, is entirely personal to them. Other people getting items that have no inpact on actual game play does not hurt anyone. I dont see a reason to punish people, for allowing life to get in the way of a game.

As someone who has missed out on things solely because of a busy work/school life, I would support this. I probably won't pay real money unless I really, really want something, but I am familiar with the frustrations of missing things because I had more important things preoccupying my time. When I lived in Washington State, this was especially a challenge because of the time zones. I would not be able to get online until later in the night, and by then, it would be nearly impossible to collect everything. It was a nuisance that I was missing out because of the stupid timezone.

This idea would be a nice option to give, and since it would be helping the site, it is a bit of a win-win.

However, I would only support it if it is giving the option to buy what everyone else can catch, as other people have stated. No special breeds or special features. I know this topic is not about that, but I figure i'll just mention that.

As for the people who bicker about it being fair, I honestly don't mind as much. People can not always control real life circumstances, and it would be a shame for people to miss out simply because they are being responsible in their daily lives. Perhaps there could be a way of telling someone if the person bought the items rather than catching them, and I don't think there should be shame in it. Supporting the website is just as important as investing your time in it.

I've been thinking about this view and I support it BUT only if it had nothing to do with christmas due to the raffle and such. ( unless they were exempted from the drawing, or what was offered had nothing to do with the Raffle game)

Otherwise the idea of it helping out Halloween and Vday sounds like it would be great for those who were busy. It should also be an option for older trophies for those that collect ( at a discount)

I feel like I am barking up a flagpole, but I'll make one more point, then I'm done.

If the treats and other "non-game altering things" can be bought, then what's the point of even playing the games that get you those during the Event? Just buy them afterwards.

The questing to get these treats and other icons, is the whole point of the Event, and if you don't get them all, well, it's the same chances that everyone gets. That's what makes DC fun, the challenge. No challenge, why bother? The treats are badges of participation, if you didnt participate, should you still be able to buy the trophy? Seems wrong somehow.

And calling them "non-game altering" is not true, because they ARE part of the game, and not trying for them, playing the Events, alters the game for you, then you come on here and moan about how it should be pay for these things, and that potentially will alter the game for everyone else.

Anyway, like I said, banging my head against an apparent brick wall, people will get what they want eventually, by wearing TJ down. sigh. Whatever.  sad.gif

Its the personal sense of achievement. Most people collect because they like being able to catch them all and being able to work for it. But excluding those too busy to participate because you feel like suddenly adding pay to buy treats/FoE will create a giant and sudden urge of lazy people who will no longer participate is the concept of slipery slope that no one really takes seriously.

Just because you can purchase treats after the event doesn't mean everyone will suddely stop hunting for treats when they do have the time to participate in the event. We are impatient weirdos, if we can get it now and for free we will, trust me.

And using your same logic:

If the treats and other "non-game altering things" can be bought, then what's the point of even playing the games that get you those during the Event?

Because if you are already here, playing the game normally, and you can get them for free, why pay $5?

If I can participate in an event and collect all the little sprites and not pay a dime, you can damn well expect to see me logged in. Insinuating that those unable to participate and wanting a way to obtain the treats they missed are lazy is kind of wrong. Trust me. Would you rather pay $20 for a cake, or take the time to make one for free if it meant taking some time out of the next day or two to gather the ingredients from some friends willing to help? But if you cant get those ingredients from friends, and you want by the end of the week because its someones birthday, then who am I to make you feel bad for wanting to spend $20 on that cake?

So lets recap, TL;DR:

-DC is TJ's hobby and as such it can be assumed he is not looking to make any profit out of it

-TJ has a job and as such does not need to treat DC as an investment that need to make money for him.

-Paying for non game affecting things like FoE eggs and ToT is no different than paying the monty $5 to remove adds and as such is okay.

-Allowing busy users a chance to come back after a FoE event or ToT event and purchase the missed or incomplete treats does not affect game play.

-The prior point will not cause users to suddenly and en mass become lazy and rich people who can buy every event pixel after its scheduled event.

-Not everyone has the money to squander on treats so it is more than guaranteed that we will always have players willing to participate.

-The Human nature of achievemnt and completion guarantees that a majority of players will want to participate as the event is happening to feel a sense of "I was there and I actually did it" rendering the en mass lazyness epidemic moot and silly.

So there you go.

I've been thinking about this view and I support it BUT only if it had nothing to do with christmas due to the raffle and such.  ( unless they were exempted from the drawing, or what was offered had nothing to do with the Raffle game)

Otherwise the idea of it helping out Halloween and Vday sounds like it would be great for those who were busy. It should also be an option for older trophies for those that collect ( at a discount)

This idea is mostly focused towards events like ToT and I personally like to add FoE because they are exactly the same just different holidays. So I feel like only those mentioned events should have this available and nothing else.

Edited by AnanoKimi

Your sheer determination that this must happen is almost putting me off, actually.

This is a discussion, and while I actually don't mind if people can buy treats after the event (and NOT during it), I am not comfortable with making other people feel that disagreeing is WRONG and seeing a wall of text saying but this is RIGHT with a "recap" missing out ALL the arguments against it - which means it isn't a recap, it is a recap of the reasons you think it should happen is - beginning to grate on me.

I'm not saying its right or wrong, I'm arguing the points Riverwillow is bringing up which are that adding in the ability to buy treats will run DC to the ground by converting it into a pat to play and that adding in the ability to buy treats will make people become lazy and not want to participate.

The only mention I made of something being wrong is that Riverwillow makes a mention about how people who are not available for the game and how they "moan" about it being pay to obtain. To me that seemed a little mean because its a suggestion to allow those who are too busy to participate in the event be able to in some way get the treats or FoE they missed and allow them to enjoy the sprites personally as everyone else does.

Riverwillow keeps making it seem like only participation counts towards being able to have the treats and as such non participation is bad. Like if some people choose not to participate. Its also this air of "I participated and thus am better so if you missed out too bad because paying for anything is bad" which is really a poor argument considering we already have the option to pay to remove ads.

So I'm not discussing for or against anything, I'm pointing out all the personal issues this person has and how they are not logical with the reality of the proof available. I personally don't care and t the same time don't see why anyone would want to waste money on pixel others got for free.

I know, lovely thing, wub.gif but a FEW people have worded posts in a way that suggested they should be able to buy past holiday dragons. Also there was the bit suggesting we could pay to have the treats drop faster - things like that. I'd like to see this, if it were to happen, ONLY for paying POST event. I don't see the need to wait a year to buy those treats - but I do think it should take place AFTER the event. At any time afterwards - but AFTER ! This would also cover slow clickers etc - after the event is over $5 (or whatever) buys you all the treats from x year that you missed. That might be that last one or all of them - one sum covers all.

Ah - I see! ^^

I personally prefer during the event because I think it should be a that-year-only type of thing and because that ensures that someone was there and decided to pay because of lack of time, energy, motivation, interest, or whatever other reason, and agreed to pay instead of play.

I don't like the idea of play + pay because I do think that gives too much of an advantage over people who are not paying. Also why I keep bringing up "applicable events". I think collection events are applicable, but the snow forts for instance, I don't like the idea of paying for because there's a lot that went into those. I also don't think that someone should be able to buy their way through an RP event. Those are involved events whereas treat collecting is not really.

I do think it should be pay or play, not pay to finish. Either assume you won't have the time or take the chance and possibly finish or not. JMHO

So summary: I do think paying during events should be for collections only (ToT, FoE), not actual playable events.

That's a slippery slope, though, and I don't think it's fair to say "in my limited, biased experience x has always happened so we shouldn't even start anything like it here!" because we are not those other sites and not all pay sites work the same.

Because you can't pay.

Because you won't pay.

Because you actually enjoy the game and want to play it.

Ah - I see! ^^

I personally prefer during the event because I think it should be a that-year-only type of thing and because that ensures that someone was there and decided to pay because of lack of time, energy, motivation, interest, or whatever other reason, and agreed to pay instead of play.

I don't like the idea of play + pay because I do think that gives too much of an advantage over people who are not paying. Also why I keep bringing up "applicable events". I think collection events are applicable, but the snow forts for instance, I don't like the idea of paying for because there's a lot that went into those. I also don't think that someone should be able to buy their way through an RP event. Those are involved events whereas treat collecting is not really.

I do think it should be pay or play, not pay to finish. Either assume you won't have the time or take the chance and possibly finish or not. JMHO

So summary: I do think paying during events should be for collections only (ToT, FoE), not actual playable events.

OK I can buy (xd.png) this. Especially the pay OR play thing ! EITHER you pay right at the start, or once you catch one, you can't pay.

And NO WAY buy into the forts and so on - that's what gets you the raffle tickets - and NO WAY should those be up for purchase. You miss the game - tough you-know-what.

But what about what kind of started this - people who want the treats and Easter eggs from past years ? That was the primary issue for the OP, wasn't it ?

Actually I think the OP wasn't asking for buying treats and easter eggs from past years, but asking for an alternative way to get the ones of future events.

This is a discussion, and while I actually don't mind if people can buy treats after the event (and NOT during it), *snip* (bold by me)

May I ask why you think it's wrong to let people buy easter eggs while they're dropping? And what about the alternative suggestion someone made that paying wouldn't fill your basket, but let them drop quicker so you would still have to collect them all, but it would take less time?

Just trying to understand, as I personally see nothing wrong with it. Actually, I think just the opposite would make sense - buying them within the time span when they are dropping, and making them unavailable after the event, no matter if you want to collect or purchase them. You would still have to be there during the event, but you could pay with money instead of time if you have a very busy RL during holidays.

If you're worried about the complete list of treats being available too soon and spoiling the fun for others, just make it so that you can buy them any time during the event, but they are delivered the moment when the event ends.

Actually I think the OP wasn't asking for buying treats and easter eggs from past years, but asking for an alternative way to get the ones of future events.

May I ask why you think it's wrong to let people buy easter eggs while they're dropping? And what about the alternative suggestion someone made that paying wouldn't fill your basket, but let them drop quicker so you would still have to collect them all, but it would take less time?

Just trying to understand, as I personally see nothing wrong with it. Actually, I think just the opposite would make sense - buying them within the time span when they are dropping, and making them unavailable after the event, no matter if you want to collect or purchase them. You would still have to be there during the event, but you could pay with money instead of time if you have a very busy RL during holidays.

If you're worried about the complete list of treats being available too soon and spoiling the fun for others, just make it so that you can buy them any time during the event, but they are delivered the moment when the event ends.

Personally, either or would work. I actually would say maybe even having both alternatives because some people have limited time but are still able to particpate, so being able to pay for a more frequent drop of ToT/FoE would benefit them. Others have swamped schedules during that week and maynot be able to log on at all or are in a diffiult time and are off on hiatus, etc, So allowing those users to purchase their treats after the event also works.

Having both wont interfere with each other as it allows users to still obtain what they need by different methods. So I dont see a reason to shoot down one and advocate for the other.

I think - no. That is giving an advantage in a way that just buying the lot doesn't.

I think Sock has the ideal answer - EITHER buy the lot OR take the risk and catch for yourself. But I like your idea of delivery at the end of the event - that does prevent spoilers being posted.