Shokomon

DC Moon Watch (Tracking Sonata Breeding and Eclipse Effects!)

maybe that's why we're having a hard time grabbing that third moon egg

that's the eclipse egg (edit: unless someone managed to grab it?)

but idk about the other two. I mean, how it was the first time grabbing the first lunar herald eggs?

Edited by Pinksafire

8 hours ago, Mystic_Halo said:

Question, please.  

Will the impending Dragon Cave Lunar Eclipse happen on May 10 2023 ?

"Each four full moons for Aurax, both moons experience a lunar eclipse."

Per last line of 

https://dragcave.net/dragonopedia/world#moons

And the Valkemare Lunar Calendar says the next time both full moons will experience a Lunar eclipse will be on May 10.

(I don't know who created it, I have it saved for Lunar Herald IOUs)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15v2Ars0ZSx-H8B8R399Cu06A4cj19Me5GhN-2uj2TRU/edit#gid=1906132222

Oh, site info got updated. That's helpful

That's what it seems like. Eclipse is near, so it makes sense for it to happen on nearest double full moon. But the site which tracks lunars here claims, that moons will be full on May 11th, not 10th. I don't know which is accurate.

edit: discrepancy seems to be result of weirdness with time when lunar phase changes (it does at 7 or 8 pm)
from what I understand, moons will change to full in the afternoon of May 10th and will stay that way for most of May 11th

Full Aurax cycle takes like 32 days, and since double eclipse is supposed to happen one time in four cycles (do I get this description right?), it's going to be quite rare event, happening basically once in four months.

Edited by Lyncerta

It says it gets updated at 8pm

3 hours ago, Lyncerta said:

Oh, site info got updated. That's helpful

That's what it seems like. Eclipse is near, so it makes sense for it to happen on nearest double full moon. But the site which tracks lunars here claims, that moons will be full on May 11th, not 10th. I don't know which is accurate.

edit: discrepancy seems to be result of weirdness with time when lunar phase changes (it does at 7 or 8 pm)
from what I understand, moons will change to full in the afternoon of May 10th and will stay that way for most of May 11th

Full Aurax cycle takes like 32 days, and since double eclipse is supposed to happen one time in four cycles (do I get this description right?), it's going to be quite rare event, happening basically once in four months.

22 hours ago, Mystic_Halo said:

And the Valkemare Lunar Calendar says the next time both full moons will experience a Lunar eclipse will be on May 10.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15v2Ars0ZSx-H8B8R399Cu06A4cj19Me5GhN-2uj2TRU/edit#gid=1906132222

I am the owner of that spreadsheet! Glad to see it's still getting use!

Given that in the real world, lunar eclipses only occur during full moons, I'm going to wager that in Valkemare, eclipses can also only occur during full moons. However, I'll be interested in seeing if the mechanic is as simple as, "any time both moons are full simultaneously, there's an eclipse," or if it's a bit more complex than that. Given that we don't have eclipses every full moon IRL, I'm hoping it's a bit more complex!

1 hour ago, Millie_Azure said:

I am the owner of that spreadsheet! Glad to see it's still getting use!

Given that in the real world, lunar eclipses only occur during full moons, I'm going to wager that in Valkemare, eclipses can also only occur during full moons. However, I'll be interested in seeing if the mechanic is as simple as, "any time both moons are full simultaneously, there's an eclipse," or if it's a bit more complex than that. Given that we don't have eclipses every full moon IRL, I'm hoping it's a bit more complex!

That is amazing work and I've used it a lot for planning and requesting Lunar Herald Trades.  

I have always been glad to have it!

Is it possible to make it show Lunar eclipses, or would doing so damage the coding that's already there?

It says every 4th time there's two full moons, it causes a lunar eclipse.  But it doesn't sound like it's any more complex than that.  But it's going to make those silver moon new release eggs extremely rare.

Edited by Mystic_Halo

1 hour ago, Millie_Azure said:

However, I'll be interested in seeing if the mechanic is as simple as, "any time both moons are full simultaneously, there's an eclipse," or if it's a bit more complex than that. Given that we don't have eclipses every full moon IRL, I'm hoping it's a bit more complex!

The encyclopedia does say ever 4th full moon for the gold one there's a double lunar eclipse.  I'm hoping that it's not how you get the silver one because that's...  Extremely restrictive for a non-holiday dragon.  So I'm hoping the silver is just something like a breed-only version and the lunar eclipse part ties into some other mechanic with them...

On 4/30/2023 at 9:31 PM, Mystic_Halo said:

Question, please.  

Will the impending Dragon Cave Lunar Eclipse happen on May 10 2023 ?

"Each four full moons for Aurax, both moons experience a lunar eclipse."

Per last line of 

https://dragcave.net/dragonopedia/world#moons

That is good to know

Anyone trying to breed Heralds on eclipse day?

Also,

Time: 11:48 M Dragon Cave Time (DC)

Date: 01 May 2023

Season: Spring

Moon Phases:

I. Aurax (Gold Moon): Waxing Crescent

II. Cirion (Blue Moon): Waning Crescent

Lunar Eclipse:

A. The site clock currently says "A lunar eclipse is near."

Time: 9:12 PM EDT / Dragon Cave Time (DC)
Date: 2 May 2023
Moon Phases
I. Aurax (Gold Moon) Waxing Crescent
II. Cirion (Blue MoonNew
Lunar Eclipse:
A. The site clock currently says "A lunar eclipse is near."

Time: 11:28 PM EDT / Dragon Cave Time (DC)
Date: 3 May 2023
Season: Spring
Moon Phases
I. Aurax (Gold Moon) Waxing Gibbous
II. Cirion (Blue MoonWaxing Crescent
Lunar Eclipse:

Thank you so much!

We tick ever closer!

On 5/1/2023 at 11:50 PM, Shokomon said:

I'm curious about this as well! It will be interesting to see what effect the lunar eclipse has on Lunar Heralds.

I'm going to try that :)

Edited by Iside

On 5/4/2023 at 1:31 AM, Shokomon said:

Thank you so much!

We tick ever closer!

Lol, do we know when the eclipse will be or have we not yet figured it out? I hardly ever have scroll space available.

I am hoping that we will be able to buy the silver Sonatas in the market, as it is still way too hard in the cave.

I've been looking at the incredible resources we have here, trying to compare moon phases to the pattern we've seen so far. I might have a possible theory (please, take with a grain of salt):

ETA: Disregard this bit. No longer the current theory.

On the first day of release, both of the moons were in the crescent phases. Aurax waxing crescent, Cirion waning crescent. I believe we saw both eggs until May 2nd May 1st- before Aurax turned over to waxing gibbous and Cirion new moon on May 2nd. Since then we're only seeing the gold eggs.
ETA: I've been informed we stopped seeing blues on May 1st, a day before the moons' phases change. Between April 30th and May 1st the phases were the same, so we'll have to continue observing this.

Cirion is currently in waxing crescent, set to become waxing gibbous tonight. As blue eggs definitely dropped during Cirion's waning crescent phase, at this point we could rule out two things: the drop rate being based on everchanging rate like the Luminae, and 25/75% odds.

As we've seen both Sonata eggs when both moons were sharing the same phase during first few days, waxing and waning crescents, I believe we'll start seeing blue eggs drop again alongside gold eggs tonight when Cirion and Aurax both will be in their waxing gibbous phase. We might be able to verify this via market.

Based on these observations, my current theory is that when both moons share the same phase, crescent or gibbous (regardless of waxing/waning), the drop rate will be 50/50. However, when a moon has more sun on it than the other one (as we're seeing right now), the drop rate for the dominant moon will be 100% and other one 0%.

---

ETA: This part about the silver egg theory, however, is still up in the air.

As for the silver eggs, for the past 6 days, the ever-helpful time page has been telling us "a lunar eclipse is near." Gee, it sure is. However the "Encyclopedia: The World of Dragon Cave" page is a bit more helpful. Only a bit. It tells us that every time Aurax go through its full moon phase four times, there will be a lunar eclipse. 

If we trust that "a lunar eclipse is near" is during Aurax in its final cycle before the lunar eclipse, we should probably see silver eggs starting at May 10th-11th when both moons are full. After that day, we'll see the phase change to something else like "A lunar eclipse is happening sometime."

This is the part I really hope I'm wrong with: if we're really only seeing lunar eclipse when Aurax cycles four times, the next time we'll see a lunar eclipse is on... September 15th. Hope you'll be here on May 10th-11th.

okay bye, can't wait to see these theories of mine go up in smoke soon.

Edited by Naraku
clarifying

8 hours ago, Naraku said:

I've been looking at the incredible resources we have here, trying to compare moon phases to the pattern we've seen so far. I might have a possible theory (please, take with a grain of salt):

On the first day of release, both of the moons were in the crescent phases. Aurax waxing crescent, Cirion waning crescent. I believe we saw both eggs until May 2nd May 1st- before Aurax turned over to waxing gibbous and Cirion new moon on May 2nd. Since then we're only seeing the gold eggs.
ETA: I've been informed we stopped seeing blues on May 1st, a day before the moons' phases change. Between April 30th and May 1st the phases were the same, so we'll have to continue observing this.

Cirion is currently in waxing crescent, set to become waxing gibbous tonight. As blue eggs definitely dropped during Cirion's waning crescent phase, at this point we could rule out two things: the drop rate being based on everchanging rate like the Luminae, and 25/75% odds.

As we've seen both Sonata eggs when both moons were sharing the same phase during first few days, waxing and waning crescents, I believe we'll start seeing blue eggs drop again alongside gold eggs tonight when Cirion and Aurax both will be in their waxing gibbous phase. We might be able to verify this via market.

Based on these observations, my current theory is that when both moons share the same phase, crescent or gibbous (regardless of waxing/waning), the drop rate will be 50/50. However, when a moon has more sun on it than the other one (as we're seeing right now), the drop rate for the dominant moon will be 100% and other one 0%.

---

As for the silver eggs, for the past 6 days, the ever-helpful time page has been telling us "a lunar eclipse is near." Gee, it sure is. However the "Encyclopedia: The World of Dragon Cave" page is a bit more helpful. Only a bit. It tells us that every time Aurax go through its full moon phase four times, there will be a lunar eclipse. 

If we trust that "a lunar eclipse is near" is during Aurax in its final cycle before the lunar eclipse, we should probably see silver eggs starting at May 10th at 7pm when both moons are full. After that day, we'll see the phase change to something else like "A lunar eclipse is happening sometime."

This is the part I really hope I'm wrong with: if we're really only seeing lunar eclipse when Aurax cycles four times, the next time we'll see a lunar eclipse is on... September 15th. Hope you'll be here on May 10th-11th.

okay bye, can't wait to see these theories of mine go up in smoke soon.

Solid theory, better than what I could come up with lol.

And just to clarify, this is for the Sonatas, yes?

---

Update:

Time: 9:40 PM Dragon Cave Time (DC)

Date: 6 May 2023

Moon Phases:

I. Aurax (Gold Moon😞 Waxing Gibbous

II. Cirion (Blue Moon😞 Waxing Gibbous

Lunar Eclipse:

A. The site clock currently says "A lunar eclipse is near."

And while I'm here...

Phase Change Today @ 8:00PM EDT/DC!

Aurax (Gold Moon) : Waxing Gibbous No Phase Change. Aurax is expected to stay more than 50% illuminated!

Cirion (Blue Moon) : Waxing Crescent --> Waxing Gibbous Phase Change! Cirion is expected to become more than 50% illuminated!

Eggs are expected to change from Gold to a new color!!

Cave Lunar Herald Eggs are expected to be Silver!

Bred Lunar Herald Eggs are expected to be Silver!

Enjoy breeding and catching eggs!

Eggs are expected to remain Silver until 8:00 PM EDT/DC on Sunday, May 14, 2023.

Pinkgothic's imaged-based cycler that shows the whatever Lunar is dropping): image.png

Pinkgothic's Daily Dragon Fix page that shows what's dropping and when the others will drop: Link

Millie_Azure's Lunar Herald long term calendar:  Link

DC Moon Watch Document: The-DC-Moon-Watch-Banner3.png Link

Shokomon's version of the cycler (also made by Pinkgothic): shoko.png

Edited by Shokomon

5 hours ago, Shokomon said:

Solid theory, better than what I could come up with lol.

And just to clarify, this is for the Sonatas, yes?

Yes I'm talking about Sonatas, I should've clarified, my bad.

Unfortunately the previous theory pretty much went up in smoke. However, after discussing with few others on unofficial discord, we quickly came up with a new theory that seems to be a bit more plausible.

Introducing the illumination theory: when a moon is more illuminated than the other, Sonata of the brighter moon will drop. We weren't sure if Aurax's size would make it brighter than Cirion, even if Cirion's phase is further along than Aurax's. However, after running the numbers, it ultimately didn't change much due to the length of Aurax's cycle.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OceKAXCZwOt3__IQUXX-zN4cmqHUxb18RBiriySZS1Q/edit?usp=sharing
I made a copy of Millie_Azure's sheet, then added a couple of columns to the right. In these columns, I added the percent of illumination of each moons based on their phase progression as well as size multiplier for Aurax (probably disregard that).

As we know we saw both of Sonata's colors on the release day, April 30th. Notice that the day before (April 29th) on my sheet, Cirion was ruling the night sky but only barely. Blue Sonata disappeared the day after release (May 1st).

Could it be that there's a margin of overlap where both Sonata colors could coexist before the other color takes over? At this point, only time will tell. We have to wait until about May 20th or so to see if this theory holds water. Or sooner if it's wrong.

YO MY PEOPLES!

The time page updated with a lovely art piece for the lunar cycle!!!! Have a look!

image.thumb.png.b3a3c5c72debf40facb83172000bd6db.png

And just to keep the practices up:

Update:

Time: 10:17 PM Dragon Cave Time (DC)

Date: 7 May 2023

Moon Phases:

I. Aurax (Gold Moon) : Waxing Gibbous

II. Cirion (Blue Moon) : Waxing Gibbous

Lunar Eclipse:

So, does anyone think there might be a possibility in the future for a 5th lunar herald color? A specific eclipse color? A blacked out lunar would look so neat!

I doubt it very much. The subject has come up before. But you never know !

9 hours ago, Stellalunastorm said:

So, does anyone think there might be a possibility in the future for a 5th lunar herald color? A specific eclipse color? A blacked out lunar would look so neat!

If there is, I hope it won't happen for a while.

This whole Sonata thing is happening way to close to the DC Birthday. Let's not add another once every few months color, especially since TJ probably won't fill the cave with Sonatas (or Lunars). I only had 1 Gold Sonata grow up on my scroll, which I traded for. The 1 Blue Sonata I caught I traded away.

If we get silver on the 10th - 11th,  trading will be insane.

Edited by PrincessLucy

Oh geez I'd forgotten the **** birthday....

15 hours ago, Stellalunastorm said:

I love this idea! A blacked out Lunar Herald would look awesome.

It's moving closer to the eclipse!

Q9oRjGo.jpg

13 minutes ago, missy_ said:

I love this idea! A blacked out Lunar Herald would look awesome.

Better ask LadyLyzar if she's OK with it in the first place....

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Better ask LadyLyzar if she's OK with it in the first place....

That's where you went with this? :lol: I just said I like the idea of a blacked out Lunar Herald; not that I'm going to start spriting or coloring them. :lol: I assume anything that happens on DC, including blacked out Lunar Heralds, would be approved by TJ and the artists. I only said I love the idea ...

Everyone needs to step away from the ledge here. They are dragons, and people have every right to express enthusiasm about ideas.

1 minute ago, missy_ said:

That's where you went with this? :lol: I just said I like the idea of a blacked out Lunar Herald; not that I'm going to start spriting or coloring them. :lol: I assume anything that happens on DC, including blacked out Lunar Heralds, would be approved by TJ and the artists. I only said I love the idea ...

Everyone needs to step away from the ledge here. They are dragons, and people have every right to express enthusiasm about ideas.

Oh sure - but there will always be some newer players who start demanding things when an idea is mooted, without understanding that the artists get to decide. I want more stripes. Ain't going to happen, I gather,