Vorgin

Beyond the Soul

Arwena was surprised by her hug and wasn't sure what to do or if this was normal for humans to hug strangers, but she hugged her back after a moment's hesitation. "You're both quite welcome. I thought you both would appreciate the gifts. I even have one for Jacus's father.. but I'll give it to him when he is better. I'll make more of that salve tonight while I still have my materials out....."

Solessa sat down and looked through the threads happily. Catherine took her hand, "You've done so much already. If you help teach me how to make it, I will take care of my husband for tonight. and until he is healed."

"I'll teach you to make a healing salve, but the one I make must use Elven blood, fresh blood.. " She turned her hand palm up to show her the cut she made before. "It would be enough to draw out all poison. After that he would need the healing salve to keep his skin and muscle and bones from turning brittle...." She spoke softly to the woman.

Catherine looked at her hand with a slight worry, "Oh... well... I do have Dragon's Beauty plants as a substitute... I didn't know the poison was that bad, so I didn't want to use them since they don't work on regular infections... no one told me about those monsters until Jacus did."

Jacus spoke up from his chair, "Dragon's Beauty is a rare plant from the mountains. My dad brought one down from his last mission there and gave it to mom to grow. It has unusual properties that you could use if you know the planet we are talking about."

"I have heard of it, seen it.. but don't know what it can do. Let's say.. what I do know about it is... it gives elves a very nasty rash that takes a few months to be rid of...." She shuddered at the memory. "My father found it.... it got really bad..... he was bedridden for a few days..."

Catherine thought, "Odd, there have been no negative reports on humans. Either it helps a lot to the point of being miraculous or or doesn't do anything at all. I guess not all planets treat us as equals."

Jacus nodded, "Isn't there some flowers that are poisonous to elves and not humans, and then one that kills humans and not elves? I read stories of those being used during the kingdom conflicts before our truce."

"Indeed.. nightshade is deadly to you and is a delicacy to us and often used in spices in special celebration soups. Mistletoe and holly berries too. I have heard that elves placed those berries on the kings plate once quite a while ago. Er.... cow's milk and products..... and sesime oils..... cabbage, surprisingly.. we use romaine lettuce and spinach in salads.... those are acidic and hard for us to digest... long before, a human killed one of the elders bully switching goat butter with cow butter among other things, sesime oil in a drink..... " She shifted uncomfortably. "The salve requires elvish words, in a spell. Even with a substitute... I don't know if it would work."

Catherine smiled warmly, "I simply would like to try. My husband is recovering nicely, if the plant does nothing at all, then you can do what you need to do. As for the other part, I would love to learn a bit of elvish." Arwena should feel something off about Catherine but not 100% what it is about her.

Arwena hesitated again studying her closely and nodded slowly. "Hopefully you're better then your son.. he butchered quite a few words I taught him....should we do it now?" At that moment her stomach sounded like Drago and she blushed pink hugging it. She only had a little bit of breakfast this morning.

Catherine smiled with a small chuckle, "How about we eat first. You deserve a good meal. You are our guest after all!"

"Yes, thank you. A meal sounds wonderful right now..." She nodded and spoke so softly that it was hard to hear her. A blush still ran across her cheeks.

Solessa giggled, "No need to be embarrassed Arwena! You are among friends here!"

Catherine finished preparing the meal and brought it out. "Jacus told me that you were a druid, so I made sure to add looks of things from the garden and fresh fish from the market. The king even paid for it because of the Crimson situation."

"That was very kind...I'm sure dinner would be delicious...oh! I just remembered, cilantro is about as deadly to us elves as holly berries are to humans, we use other spices... and my dad made me is coca coffee cake, we can have that for dessert..."

Catherine made plates ready for everyone, "Don't worry, nothing I used will harm you. I'm sure the cake will be wonderful." She set up the table and Solessa and Jacus took a seat. Jacus at the was at the head of the table while Catherine and Solessa sat across from each other on the sides. The only open seat was at the end across from Jacus.

Edited by Dotzrus

(Whose Xel? The Prince is Peter)

Arwena took the spot and smiled at Jacus. She waited until they started eating before she started, it being rude for a guest to eat before their hosts.

((oops... getting my RPs mixed up... editted))

Food set out, the three thanked said a small blessing upon their food and started to eat. Solessa spoke up, "So Arwena, Jacus told me about most of the trip. What is life like in the Forest?"

Edited by Dotzrus

"Peaceful, quite. It isn't like this place. There is so much color, sounds mostly from nature. Now the treaty is in place you are welcome to visit my family. " She grinned.

Solessa smiled, "I would love too!" Catherine nodded, "I would also like to visit. I think I would get along with the druids very well." Jacus laughed, "To me, you are a druid mom. You just need to speak animal."

Arwena laughed. "It would be good to have visitors, and Solessa dear girl.... after you have your wedding, and had your first born you must come visit me! My mother and I would be very happy to watch the child for you... .. elves..... don't have as many children as you humans.... there is hardly any elvish children now, they are.. ,and I myself, is almost considered an adult now.. it may be centuries before another child is born. " She throws back her head I n a laugh. In fact, give a few years and any orphaned children would be taken into a elf home!"

Solessa blushed, "Oh... I don't want to think about children yet... Peter would make an excellent father, I still have much to learn... What about you? Do you have some handsome elvish man you have your eyes on?" Jacus remained quiet and kept eating.

Arwena coughed nervously and quickly planned out her words. "Well, no... but I instead find myself in a bit of a tight spot. You see, traditional ways state a elf of my ranking, in being the grandchild of two elders on our council... my marriage is arranged to one of their choice.

But, while I am here, I am trying to figure out a way to make such an arrangement void. From what I have already read, if a elf from the arrangement is challenged by another suitor or by the bride's father in a contest, and the father or suitor wins and beats the arranged partner, then the marriage is abolished and the intended bride is free to choose who she wants......... You see, my grandfather already has chosen someone for my, and unfortunately, it being made in secret, I have no say in the matter, and my grandma doesn't know or else she would have had the council object...."

Ha! She expertly avoided the question, and considering that she said specifically about a elvish man She would not be lying to her hostess, yet another rude thing to do as a guest.

Solessa blinked in surprise, "Really now, that's interesting. Humans used to do that, but the recent king wanted marriage to be an act of love, not politics. So will your father be challenging the suitor or do you have anyother person in mind?" She leaned in interested. Catherine listened and ate. Jacus' eyes looked up at Arwena's curious of her response.

"I'd prefer it be myself.... but........I have someone in mind... that is, if he is up to the challenge of facing an elf who was trained in the art of war and survival from the day he can walk.......but.... he is clever,.. I'm sure he can find a way in tipping the scales in his favor. If my father herd word of this he'd jump at the chance to camel back race.... trust me, it's harder then it sounds." She caught Jacus's gaze and raised a slender eyebrow in a silent question, making it seem like she was silently asking him what was he looking at, but her eyes seemed to pierce him in a ' Are you up to it?' Type question.

Drago yipped outside. "She wants you to do it Jacus, maybe you have have him fight you with human swords, or something humans do but elves don't...."

Jacus spoke up, "If it's the person I think your talking about, I'm sure he will take up the burden."

Solessa looked at Jacus, "You know him?"

Jacus nodded, "I met him briefly. Strong, brave, not half bad looks. A real man of action."

Arwena looked like she was going to cry from holding in a laugh. "Although he better not get a big head... this is a ranger elf he is going up against who wields a great sword of dwarven make.... Although.... I do have to say, both men are horrid with a bow. One can't hit hit a oak tree right in front of him, but the other can at least hit something....." She burst out in a true laugh, gasping and holding her belly. "Oh that would be a sight indeed! One three of ten arrows that hits the target gets the girl.. oh my! The entire community would show up for that one!"