TJ09

2014-05-21 - Guardian of Nature Update

Wow! I just bred my gold with the GON, and I got my first Creation Egg! biggrin.gif This is so awesome that we can get three GON's, so now, I'll be able to get the unevolved hatchy as well! biggrin.gif

Just my two cents:

Complaining about things (as long as done in a respectful manner) can actually be a good thing. It gives a different perspective from various people about something, and what is said can be taken as constructive critique for the next time events like these are released.

Honestly, if I were in the place of the people with no GoNs, I would still be drooling all over this release and take it as another reason to stick around longer and make it another of my goals, but not everyone is like I am!

As I stand now, I have two GoNs that did take forever to summon even with several trio sets and I have found another reason to stick around more because I was honestly just logging in to catch new releases and not much else by now.

Regarding the people who are disappointed because they cannot "participate" in the birthday event, I do think they have a bit of a point, one that is worth taking into consideration, and it shouldn't be set aside as "whining" (not that everyone is saying they're whining, but I've seen some posts like that ).

Though bottom line is: in every event there are always people who can't participate as they want, because there are many different ways to play this game. Someone will be mad because there are too many new dragons and they don't have enough slots to catch them on release day. Other people will be angry because the holiday event requires people to log in every day and they can't, etc. So yes, there will always be complaining. It's as much as a part of the game as catching the pretty dragons themselves! But it is possible that some of the complaints will be seen by TJ as valid and try to avoid such situations next time. If people are polite about it, I don't see why they can't expose their views on the subject.

I kind of forgot where I was going with this but I want to say something else; as I always try to the the brightest side of stuff, here goes: This event went to show once again how much of a wonderful community we have here when it comes to helping others. Seeing people breed trios for those who need them and even gifting Avatar dragons themselves is really heart warming to see <3

I feel very fortunate to have had a fairly easy time summoning my GoNs. And I was able to breed an Avatar egg.

I do understand how this celebration might be a bit disappointing for those with no GoNs to breed. I think it would have been more accepted at another time than for the Birthday celebration -- even people without GoNs could have been excited and anticipate what they could do once they were able to summon one.

But rightly or wrongly it has become expected that everyone who plays the game will be able to celebrate the Birthday of the site. There was a lot of expectation among the players about what would happen this year. I don't see it as whining or a sense of entitlement when those who can't participate express their disappointment. It might have softened that disappointment some if there had been something else they could do to celebrate other than sit back and watch. I hope TJ will understand their feelings, too, and be a little more inclusive in future events.

I am really thrilled with the ability of GoNs to breed and with all the beautiful new dragons the spriters have created. A lot of hard work by a lot of people went into making this event possible and I offer a big thanks to you all. I just hate to see so much animosity toward those who can't fully appreciate it just now.

Some really good points have come forward smile.gif I hope whilst there has been disappointment everyone will hang in there *hugs*

I think what gets to me a bit was people saying that you could only complain if you have no GoNs. It doesn't help anyone, it doesn't make those who had only fails, or lost their eggs to sickness feel any better, and turns things into a contest of who has it worse and makes people bitter towards them.

Besides, everyone grumbles over something. Are CB prize owners not allowed to grumble because their prizes aren't giving shinies? After all, they have it better than everyone else, they still have a prize and even the fails are worth something, if not as much.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the disappointment for those without GoNs, just please understand that you don't have to be the "worst off" to be able to complain about something without being told off for it.

it doesnt seem fair because not everyone can get a GoN. hell, i only have one of the 3 dragons i need to summon it... they are very few and far between. wish there was a little something for those of us who dont have GoNs. sad.gif

I think what gets to me a bit was people saying that you could only complain if you have no GoNs.  It doesn't help anyone, it doesn't make those who had only fails, or lost their eggs to sickness feel any better, and turns things into a contest of who has it worse and makes people bitter towards them.

Besides, everyone grumbles over something.  Are CB prize owners not allowed to grumble because their prizes aren't giving shinies?  After all, they have it better than everyone else, they still have a prize and even the fails are worth something, if not as much. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand the disappointment for those without GoNs, just please understand that you don't have to be the "worst off" to be able to complain about something without being told off for it.

Oh yes, I definitely agree with you on that!

There is ALWAYS going to be someone who's worse off than you, unless you are the single most unlucky/poor/unhappy/etc. person in the world, and I don't think said someone would even have Internet access. So dismissing other's points because you think you have it worse than them is just silly. Both situations can raise equally valid points!

That being said, I have a question about the Creations. I saw that TJ said that if anything, they could be compared to Raikou, Hentei and Suicune in relation to the GoNs, as the former are to Lugia. That got me wondering:

user posted image

Are the tendrils in any way inspired by the ribbon like thingies Suicune has? Or is it a happy coincidence?

Also, anniixo, feel free to PM me if you want help with that (:

Edited because grammar.

Edited by becrux

it doesnt seem fair because not everyone can get a GoN. hell, i only have one of the 3 dragons i need to summon it... they are very few and far between. wish there was a little something for those of us who dont have GoNs. sad.gif

Just a reminder that people are giving away trios and avatars in the departure thread as well as dropping them to the AP. There is also an avatar gifting thread. The first wave of hatchies grows up tomorrow as well, so I am sure that more will be spread about.

Just a reminder that people are giving away trios and avatars in the departure thread as well as dropping them to the AP. There is also an avatar gifting thread. The first wave of hatchies grows up tomorrow as well, so I am sure that more will be spread about.

thanks for the reminder, havent actually looked at other posts yet! smile.gif

Nods at this, I bred all trios to AP and seen fair few low times today. Also my two avatars grow tomorrow and hope/likely to breed them stairsteps to gift out the hopeful offspring smile.gif

I do understand how this celebration might be a bit disappointing for those with no GoNs to breed. I think it would have been more accepted at another time than for the Birthday celebration -- even people without GoNs could have been excited and anticipate what they could do once they were able to summon one.

But rightly or wrongly it has become expected that everyone who plays the game will be able to celebrate the Birthday of the site. There was a lot of expectation among the players about what would happen this year. I don't see it as whining or a sense of entitlement when those who can't participate express their disappointment. It might have softened that disappointment some if there had been something else they could do to celebrate other than sit back and watch. I hope TJ will understand their feelings, too, and be a little more inclusive in future events.

Thank you, purplehaze, for such an understanding and supportive comment. I must admit that as a comparatively new player, I had very high expectations for the DC birthday event since it was my first and I had read about past events that sounded absolutely thrilling. I thought there might be something like the Easter Egg Hunt and some cake decoration and maybe a new release and some special dragon sprites to celebrate the event, so when I read about the GoN update, I couldn't help feeling disappointed and left out. But it's ok now, those feelings have passed, and I'm truly happy for all the people who have successfully bred the new eggs. And it was great to see so many generous players giving away trio and even avatar eggs.

I think what gets to me a bit was people saying that you could only complain if you have no GoNs.  It doesn't help anyone, it doesn't make those who had only fails, or lost their eggs to sickness feel any better, and turns things into a contest of who has it worse and makes people bitter towards them.

Besides, everyone grumbles over something.  Are CB prize owners not allowed to grumble because their prizes aren't giving shinies?  After all, they have it better than everyone else, they still have a prize and even the fails are worth something, if not as much. 

I fully agree, it is silly to take out the disappointment on someone that is perceived as having more and that just creates an unneeded and damaging "us vs you". I have GoNs, didn't get an avatar - but I'm used to fail when breeding rares so I'm not upset about that- and I'm trying to convey the point of everybody that wasn't able to participate during the birthday.

My feedback is: as I said earlier, an additional event - I.e. catching cupcakes, candles, whatever- would have left more people feeling that they were part of the birthday, not just watching from the sidelines.

The adults are so pretty! I think the destruction one is my fave wub.gif

Too bad my GON didn't breed..

These are awesome!

I'm going to breed all my trios, I have a ton, and abandon the results.

Question, it may have been answered already though, can the guardians breed more than once? Like if I bred it to one but i've changed my mind and abandon that egg. Can i breed that guardian again once its off cd?

nvm, saw the answer below about someone willing to breed their GoNs for others for free. I'll be doing the same, I haven't decided what lineage I want to keep yet. I'll be APing them, free for all!

Edited by jadedragon07

I love the sprites for the avatars, I like the new updates for the GoNs sprite.. I just have a strong dislike for hybrids (because i dont like more than two breeds in lineages, even black or vine alts showing up in my lines kind of bugs me). At this point in time, I have no driving need to collect them, so my two GoNs (male and female) can help others out for now.

I am perfectly willing to breed my GoNs for other people for FREE. I managed two eggs for a friend on both first attempts at breeding, and I'm generally, pretty happy to breed most things for people. Obviously, if someone is going to ask, I would rather them not have any GoNs of their own.. at least for now.

And thank you again, for your amazing kindness! Sorry you don't like hybrids - hopefully the next big thing T.J. dreams up will be more your style!

You see, if this was something that only happened at this event, I'd probably be more understanding. However, people complain every release if they are unable to get the eggs, as if they are entitled to them. Yes, this is a site birthday release. However, it is not a full event, like Christmas, Valentine's Day, and Halloween. People aren't 100% guaranteed to be able to participate the second it happens, and that's a distiction people need to be able to make. I also am of the opinion that the release itself is not the main purpose, as i previously stated; I believe that the point of this was the implementation of a large, new feature, breed elements (or whatever the official name is called tongue.gif).

Hey Shiiii faaaaa ooooooh. Just remember that it's always good to try to imagine the feelings and motives of other players complexly! Discontentment in others is a chance for us to practice our empathy. :> It's natural that some people are less excited by this event than the more traditional ones, and also natural that some people are more excited. Just be patient, and be willing to let those who feel bummed feel bummed for a while! That, too, is part of growing up, learning afford other people room for distress and joy in equal measure. -bonks lightly-

You are not alone. Even though many of us may have the GoNs, that doesn't mean we got anything from the breeding. I got nothing from my first attempts. GoNs have always been difficult though, and that's part of their lore. rolleyes.gif

Still, I have bred and AP'd or gifted what I could of the Trios, to try and help newer players, and I know there is a thread where successful breeders have been gifting some of the Avatar eggs. There are also Avatar eggs beginning to show up in the AP, and some players are trading their eggs. Check the AP for Trios if you need them, or maybe even a random Avatar egg. You can also find the CB Trios in the Biomes: Alpine for Ice, Desert for Thunder and Volcano for Magma.

If you get involved on the Forums, there will be opportunities, and people who are willing to help you. I'll be attempting to breed my Guardians and Trios next week.

Good luck with your hunting! smile.gif

Wait, the new eggs can be traded/gifted? I thought that they followed the same rules as the GoN's. I haven't even looked in the AP for them. That makes them even more awesome. biggrin.gif

I've been breeding all of my trios too. Most of them wanted to be stubborn, but what I managed to get I gifted to the Departure thread. I know a lot of others were doing the same.

I know at least two Thunders and a magma of mine ended up in the AP by mistake but that just means three others have a chance to get a nice trio egg. When my hatchings mature including my first GoN I'll be trying to breed those too. I'll probably keep my first of the new eggs if I get one, but I don't mind gifting the eggs of the trios to anyone who needs one. happy.gif

Ohai thar Marri! I think the reason I got frustrated with discontent is because I see it in every release thread at every release. However, I'm starting to realize why this event may be different. While yes, it's something that not everyone can have right away, and expressing feedback is good, some people were getting way too invested in the idea that they should have things right away that it just made me angry. Maybe I'd empathize more if I didn't see this kind of thing at every release. Still, I maintain that the implementation of the breed elements brings a whole new element to gameplay that is perfect for an anniversary event, though it'd have be neat to have an aspect everyone can use right away for the celebration.

Edited by PieMaster

I dunno, I think these sprites are both crazy and detailed.  Also given the fact that the hybrids introduce a whole new mechanic and add an aspect to all existing and future breeds that didn't exist before - paving the way for new BSAs and special features - I'd say this is certainly not 'safe.'  This is bigger than you realize, friend.

I was reading the quote of Thuban's post and thinking that, while I'm not a fan of hybrids and wouldn't usually plan on breeding them - hey, I am always locked and would still be with more than 21 slots - I became very intrigued by the post by Marrionetta that I'm quoting now. Just the thought of potential "new BSAs and special features" is enough to send me on Avatars "hoarding" mood.

I've also bred my one set of trios and only the Electric one produced an egg which I sent out into the AP!

Hopefully someone who just needs a thunder will grab it and have their full set at last. c:

Once I have the Avatar trio I shall also be breeding my GoN every week and whichever eggs I get that happen to be hybrids I will give away to people who don't have them.

I don't want people to feel excluded, plus gifting dragons feels so good. <3

I wouldn't have gotten my darling Copper set without some lovely person gifting them to me, so it's only fair I continue the train of kindness haha!

EDIT: Whoever wants to receive an Avatar egg when I begin breeding them for others, can you please PM me? I wanna make a list!

Edited by herduleik

My feedback is: as I said earlier, an additional event - I.e. catching cupcakes, candles, whatever- would have left more people feeling that they were part of the birthday, not just watching from the sidelines.

Actually that would be a cool little badge to have. Kind of like the Easter egg hunt and Halloween. Maybe next year we could get something like that. I love all the creativity of the sprites made for those events. I think it would transfer to birthday party items well too.

I tried to breed my trios for gifting but I don't even know why I attempted... Any one of my trios has yet to produce another trio in the three years I've had an account here...

I wish there had been something more besides the GoN bit. it would have been more inclusive.

I have one. It took me FOREVER to summon, (& I did try just about every 2 weeks since it was first announced). blink.gif So do have heart, those of you who are fairly new to the game.

For those of you who are in need of one or more of the trios, PM me. I will be happy to breed them for you.