TehUltimateMage

Mage's Ultimate Art Thread [OFFLINE]

hello, it's me, i was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet

adele aside, oops i realised i've been stalking ur thread but have neglected to comment and we must remedy that right away

also do not fear i've fallen behind in the expressions challenge too heck me

i will finish it if it's the last thing i do, check back with me in december of 2016

man that dragon looks super cool ahh <33 everyone's talking abt krita, it makes me want to experiment. xd.png

yeee thanks lu! Even if you don't comment directly I see u behind the scenes all the time, cheering me on

Some? WIPs? I haven't ever really finished a digitally painted piece before, aha.

user posted image

user posted image

I'll be streaming this weekend, so stay tuned for that too.

4am vent(?) art? I found a bottle of frisket while cleaning my room so I figured I'd do some experimentation (read: literally fling paint off the brush). Reminds me a little of Lu's aesthetic.

user posted image

No idea why the watercolor's turning grainy and clumpy at certain spots... Further investigation is needed.

Wow this look really nice. I love splashy art. Teachers let us use a toothbrush when painting with watercolors. They make such nice dots

Wow this look really nice. I love splashy art. Teachers let us use a toothbrush when painting with watercolors. They make such nice dots

Aha thank you. My art teacher loves to experiment: with the toothbrush, yes, but she also made us paint with our noses and toes xd.png Personally, other than flicking the brush/toothbrush bristles, I like to load spritz bottles or misters with watered down paint or ink. Gives a really nice effect, especially with bumpy-when-dried india ink.

Saw this step-by-step and I figured why not try to apply some of those techniques myself? I never thought of using pure water to "reserve" soft highlights. Pretty genius.

user posted image

…Although, the result gives me flashbacks to the watercolor classes I took as a kid where you basically tried to copy pictures from a book. Similar style to what I used to do. xd.png (for those who are unfamiliar with the story, when I was 8 I took painting classes and basically the teacher thought I was hopeless and fixed my paintings behind my back so I had something nice to show my parents…)

Hm… I feel like digging out some older watercolors to compare. I'll do that tomorrow.

Ahhh, so beautiful! I love your watercolors, the shading and colors are so nice and well-done.

Thanks you two! I kind of cycle in and out between being obsessed with watercolors and then being obsessed with digital drawing. I'm still experimenting around at the moment, tbh.

Two weeks ago, I scoffed at Undertale. Two weeks later, and I'm just as trash as everyone else in the fandom.

user posted image

(Top two are OCs of mine I doodled+colored. I thought they fit the color scheme and personality of those soul colors pretty well. Though, I'm really not used to drawing children and chibis…)

Edited by TehUltimateMage

(The left one reminds me of a webcomic I read a bit of called Stand Still. Stay Silent.)

Your watercolors are always great, Mage! And those chibis look too cute~

Lesser Dog and Greater Dog are amazing. Tiny fluffs in too-large armor.

Teasing me by underlining it but not actually linking it. Clever. (looks like an awesome webcomic, btw)

continuing with the undertale dump

user posted image

YEEESSSSSSSSSSS! PAPYRUS! YOU HAVE MADE UP FOR YOUR SINS OF DOING THE GENOCIDE ROUTE. I FORGIVE U.

Ah, thanks again Dragnilu! (Usually I'd not bother posting my less-good ones since you'll all see them when I scan my sketchbooks for archiving, though I scanned that since it was on a separate piece of paper.) XP

Today, I saw this design of Sans and I was suddenly flashed back to middle school where my aesthetic was to put scarves and waist-tied sweaters on everything. So I took a shot at re-drawing the mary sue beast that plagued my 13-year-old self (rainbow palette not included)

user posted image

SO cute, haha. Your sketching style (and your art in general) is just so nice to look at. Your sketches just show so much expression

Some stupid sketches with a pen and some water while being stranded at my mom's. I guess I'll be taking requests on what to draw? Since I have nothing else to do tonight.

user posted image

Edit: thanks saph! *0* I've been told that my expressions were a strong point.

Your sans is a bit grunps i see. Everything is so fine and nice. What kind of pen did you use?

A LAMY fountain pen, loaded with water-soluble ink. A nice fountain pen is an absolute pleasure to draw with.

More dumps from yesterday, mostly my friends' OCs and my OCs:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Awesome, as always. Is that Porygon-Z in the upper-right corner of the first page?

Also I'd like to know how my request is coming along.

Edited by Coryn02

If it looks like a Pory-Z, it probably is a Pory-Z. ;p

Tried to practice inking with a brush pen today so I've worked in a bit larger scale (aka a full letter sized sheet). Not quite satisfied with the results/line weights nor how it scanned in, but I'll just have to keep working at it.

user posted image

Bonus watercolors to make it a finished piece.

user posted image

They look so cute! And the color pallet is great. I think the inking is very well done, Mage.

The front leg looks... disconnected, from the pelvis though. :c I don't know if it's just because the pants are supposed to be really baggy, the coat is in the way, or because the leg is positioned a little too low.

Hm, yeah, I figured something was up around there. I could have tucked the pant fabric so that it lies at a steeper angle to suggest the leg connects behind the jacket, but it was also partly the fault of the pose I chose, with the legs based on the pose on the far right:

user posted imageuser posted image

Now that I look at them side-by-side, I see what you mean. The leg is too low. ;p I wonder how I missed that in the sketch phase?

~~~

I forgot I had this hanging around my account. Here is the time I tried to draw Sans as an actual skeleton:

user posted image