Descripforce

Description Force!

Disney-Family_Minnie-Mickey-Brownies.jpg

Thanks Lagie :D here's a brownie.

And here's my description:

Bella Hyperblast
Coming from a clan famous for its fast flyers, rebellious youths and short-tempered adults, Bella surprisingly grew into a proud and quiet dragon. Unlike most of her clan members, Bella never speaks before thinking, acts faster than necessary, or goes out of her own cave without carefully tidying her feathers.
Bella puts a lot of efforts on keeping and gaining her beauty. She's not crazy about red algae, but she eats a lot of them every day, trying to make her feathers as bright as she can. Her favorite food is snails, and she collects rock salt to flavor them.

I'm kinda not sure if the clan mentioned as being "famous for its fast flyers, rebellious youths and short-tempered adults" is ok. I mean flamingo breed descriptions didn't say that...

Thanks! :D *noms brownies*

That line you asked about is fine. It's this one that's awkward:

Bella puts a lot of efforts on keeping and gaining her beauty. I would tweak it slightly:

Bella puts a lot of effort into gaining and keeping her beauty.

(You have to get the beauty first before you can keep it!)

12 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Thanks! :D *noms brownies*

That line you asked about is fine. It's this one that's awkward:

Bella puts a lot of efforts on keeping and gaining her beauty. I would tweak it slightly:

Bella puts a lot of effort into gaining and keeping her beauty.

(You have to get the beauty first before you can keep it!)

I was going to describe Bella as growing up beautiful but always wanting to be even more beautiful though... 

Edited by love_HP

Just now, love_HP said:

I was going to describe Bella as growing up beautiful but always wanting to be even more beautiful though... 

That would work!

1 minute ago, Lagie said:

That would work!

Should I change it to "keeping and improving her beauty" or something like that?

Just now, love_HP said:

Should I change it to "keeping and improving her beauty" or something like that?

Bella puts a lot of effort into keeping and improving her beauty.

By the way, why is it that when I click the link in your signature that says "Compulsive Posters Anonymous", it goes to the Description Force thread? :o

No clue. It goes to whatever thread I happen to be in. I think it's something to do with not having updated the link since the change in the forum.

I've been taking a short break from the discord, but I'll be going back in the next few days and am looking to do something to bring some life to the discord, at least for a day.

Now that you've had a teeny break from DraDeWriMo, how do you all feel about something like a Sprint Day, hosted on discord, to help finish up your DraDe goals and write descriptions for new dragons you've got since then? Inspired by the NaNo sprints on twitter, this would be something like me (or whomever is on and hosting at the time) throwing out some optional prompts and during that time, we all do a timed write or review. Something like ten or so minutes (we might need to do a few to decide on a good amount of time), of which I will time, and you must work during that time. I'll announce when the sprint is up (so have your discord notifications on). Then we get a break where we celebrate, relax, talk about what we've written/reviewed. After a short time, we have another sprint. We could do some longer ones and some shorter ones. Possibly we could do a writing one, then a reviewing one, then switch off, so everybody can see what everybody else wrote.

It would help people write/review as well as doing something discord special to get us all together and chatting.

Is that something anybody would be interested in? I'd only care to host if we could get some good participation. ^^ We could discuss a date and potential times once people have expressed an interest.

I don't use discord. Or anything.

43 minutes ago, love_HP said:

is there a discord channel on descriptions though?

Yeah, the IRC channel activity seems to have died off and some people expressed feeling overwhelmed by trying to figure IRC out, so I tried out a DescripDoom discord server. I posted the link back when DraDe started (and has since been buried by pages of posts, lol), but I guess it's staying the unofficial-unofficial chat, as it hasn't gotten very active, so probably will stay out of the first post.

There are some people who regularly stop by, though. Herk, Lagie, and Sheridan/Charon (and me) mostly. o3o

You'd be most welcome! I believe I set that link to never expire, but let me know if it gives you a problem.

1 hour ago, Mathcat said:

It's a neat idea, but not something I'm going to have time for.

Well right now, there's literally no timeline (and seemingly no interest, so it doesn't really matter anyway), but is there a time your schedule might clear up? I know a lot of people are particularly busy this summer, so we could push this off until fall or something if people are interested but don't have time.

Sounds like a neat idea! I'd love to participate if I'm at an internet-connected house when it happens!

On 7/13/2017 at 7:26 PM, SockPuppet Strangler said:

Well right now, there's literally no timeline (and seemingly no interest, so it doesn't really matter anyway), but is there a time your schedule might clear up? I know a lot of people are particularly busy this summer, so we could push this off until fall or something if people are interested but don't have time.

...Fall? Maybe? I should be consistently online again starting in September, but I'll need to see how bad work is this time around. (I'd also need time to learn how to use Discord and to figure out whether or not there's an equivalent to IRC's chat cloaks.)

3 minutes ago, Mathcat said:

...Fall? Maybe? I should be consistently online again starting in September, but I'll need to see how bad work is this time around. (I'd also need time to learn how to use Discord and to figure out whether or not there's an equivalent to IRC's chat cloaks.)

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that you cannot see other's IPs on discord unless you've downloaded/invited a bot specifically for that purpose. There is no working /whois command like on IRC. Since DescripDoom is supposed to just be a small, casual atmosphere for friends, we have no bots and I don't plan on having any at this point. ^^

I was actually thinking if we can collect a list of prompts and pin it somewhere (on the first page?) for anyone who wants to use a couple prompts, probably some newcomers who clicked this thread?

On 2017/7/18 at 11:50 AM, Mathcat said:

Dew made a collection of the prompts posted this time around - https://pastebin.com/bGJaRGFn

(Technically, the ones credited to EG and Herk were prompts I'd sent to EG to post, but that's not a big deal.)

I posted Sock's prompts from the first round here - https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/158360-description-force/?do=findComment&comment=9516847

Thanks a lot!

I do hope the links get to the first page too..

So, I have a question.

I was doing some reviewing earlier, and despite one or two that used first person, most weren't too bad. But I found one which, while relatively well-written, is on a drake and the description seems to be a bit too...intelligent? From my understanding, drakes are compared to dogs in regards to intelligence, but this description is of a Dragon able to read, speak and cast spells. So would that be a reject on grounds of being out of character for the breed?

6 hours ago, SheridanCharon said:

So, I have a question.

I was doing some reviewing earlier, and despite one or two that used first person, most weren't too bad. But I found one which, while relatively well-written, is on a drake and the description seems to be a bit too...intelligent? From my understanding, drakes are compared to dogs in regards to intelligence, but this description is of a Dragon able to read, speak and cast spells. So would that be a reject on grounds of being out of character for the breed?

I guess it depends on the drake. While those of us on the forum who read the AMA or have read the Suggestions about drake/dragon breeding might realize that all drakes are less intelligent, only the ochredrakes specifically mention that. It would be nice if P2D's got their own basic descriptions so stuff like that was more clear, but until that happens...

As a user, I would probably abstain and say that drakes don't have that sort of intelligence to hopefully encourage the writer to edit. But as a mod, if that's not on an ochredrake, I might not see a reason to reject currently, as only ochredrakes mention intelligence, and I wouldn't expect users trying to describe any drake to go check all the other drake descriptions. o_O