Descripforce

Description Force!

It's a bit of a weird batch making the rounds this time, but at least I'm back to averaging one per day, at least.

Well done! Do you still have Starlight Weyr?

Would "nominative determinism" make a good prompt for anyone? I mean, it probably works better for those with word/phrase names on their dragons, but even a "<name> sounds similair to <word>" could make an interesting description.

...I don't think I'm doing too well on my goal. I just grabbed a whole batch of new dragon to counteract the descriptions I'm writing. Oh well. I am managing to get a bit of versification in, at least.

Definitely. I have more than a few of those already, as it turns out. I often get description inspiration from names.

(@Lagie: The Starfleet dragons? Everyone I currently have is in a group called Traveling Weyrs. I'd like to finish that particular project one of these years, but it's been long enough since I've seen any episodes that I need to refer to Wikipedia/Memory Alpha/TVTropes to write descriptions, so they take a while. Otherwise, if you're referring to something else, I don't think I've gotten rid of anything recently.)

Edit: Including this information.

I Wanna Write!

Username: SunstonePhoenix

Trophy Level: None

Personal Goal: Keep up with my dragons' descriptions as they grow to adulthood.

Hey, everyone! I just joined the site a week or two ago, and this thread is what encouraged me to join the forums. I don't even have enough dragons to review descriptions yet, heheh...

Doesn't mean I can't write them! Over the course of the past twelve hours, I've written descriptions for five of my seven adult dragons, and am working to develop personalities for the other two. I'm keeping a list of dragons with descriptions I've written here.

Boop! Little example!

user posted image

The first dragon to successfully grow to adulthood within the Cloudtouched Thicket, Tenderheart "Mama" Mentha has taken it upon herself to act as a maternal figure to the thicket's dragons. She spends her days tending to the needs of the hatchlings and her nights carefully coiled around a soft nest of her making, containing a colorful assortment of eggs. While she is of a species of dragon that is somewhat small, she has learned that this is to her advantage. Hatchlings feel unintimidated by a dragon closer to their size.

Tenderheart is also the dragon who established the thicket's somewhat unusual naming convention. Due to the extraordinarily varied amount of breeds in the thicket, she found that giving hatchlings a breed identity helped them to feel proud of their heritage. She helps the first hatchling of each breed that grows to adulthood choose a "family name" that represents their breed's finest attributes. The name is then shared with all future dragons of the breed to come.

It's been really enjoyable to read over some of the descriptions posted on this thread. You guys are all lovely writers!

Edited by SunstonePhoenix

Welcome to the forum and Description Force, SunstonePhoenix

I'm going to run with this one.

Edit: here we go.

Edited by dirtytabs

I will try writing a poem. Once. Probably something really simple.

It's no ottava rima, but it is poetry: https://dragcave.net/view/rQunP

Iambic lines that rhyme abab

I do feel that is good enough for me.

Iambic lines that rhyme abab

I do feel that is good enough for me.

...Actually, it looks like it's rhymed aabb, but close enough.There's a name for that form, too: heroic verse. Iambic lines rhymed in couplets, with the occasional tercet thrown in for variety. Anyways, yay, verse! *pulls out pom-pom crabs*

The thing with iambs, when you have a lot - I often find it's true of haikus too - is that they start to permeate your thought. Is that just me, or does the same get you?

In case anyone's wondering, I made a verse group. I personally find reading verse helps me write verse - the metre comes easier - so if anyone else wants to join the crowd?

Edited by Kakaru_of_DOOM

...Actually, it looks like it's rhymed aabb, but close enough.There's a name for that form, too: heroic verse. Iambic lines rhymed in couplets, with the occasional tercet thrown in for variety. Anyways, yay, verse! *pulls out pom-pom crabs*

The thing with iambs, when you have a lot - I often find it's true of haikus too - is that they start to permeate your thought. Is that just me, or does the same get you?

In case anyone's wondering, I made a verse group. I personally find reading verse helps me write verse - the metre comes easier - so if anyone else wants to join the crowd?

Oh, my spelling. Yes, aabb. Don't touch me with those! They sting!

Yes, to a degree, that also happens to me, like xkcd.

Bobgz' is neat. Is there a name for her pattern?

user posted image

user posted image

Nooooooo.

Edited by dirtytabs

You're still writing descriptions! Yay! (Also, you now have more approved descriptions than I do.)

For anyone with a large number of dragons to describe, consider making a draconic theatrical group. There are all sorts of directions you can take that, from traditional draconic theater to something that includes (not-so) subtle references to your favorite shows/movies.

Edit: Yes - 2287 (assuming the latest batch gets approved) to your 2598.

Edited by Mathcat

You're still writing descriptions! Yay! (Also, you now have more approved descriptions than I do.)

I do blink.gif

Now I'm... basically speechless.

I described her. It hasn't been approved yet.

Bobgz' is neat. Is there a name for her pattern?

That's the pantoum. The second and fourth line of each stanza becomes the first and third of the next. When you get to the end, you have to go back and use lines 1 and 3 from the first stanza (preferably in reverse order, but for Bobgz I sacrificed it for grammar) instead of more original lines. Stanzas can be rhymed abab or (if you're sufficiently crazy) abba. The latter pattern will force you to maintain your two rhymes throughout the entire poem, wheras with the former you can introduce new rhymes in new stanzas.

For anyone with a large number of dragons to describe, consider making a draconic theatrical group. There are all sorts of directions you can take that, from traditional draconic theater to something that includes (not-so) subtle references to your favorite shows/movies.

I was doing something similar by butchering a famous poem. ...I should get around to finishing that at some point; I still have a lot of the poem to go through...

Edited by Kakaru_of_DOOM

If I have a comment on someone's work, I've been signing it SP. Would you mind adding it to the list?

Sorry that I've been MIA this weekend! I've been in the Netherlands with limited computer access. I'll add and update everything as soon as I get back in the states! Should be tomorrow. Feel free to offer your own prompts if you would like. (:

Well then, how about a dragon that travels a lot? xd.png

A dragon with a Dutch name who does stereotypical Dutch things (but isn't Dutch in-universe, duh)?

"Dutch" is a fun word. Dutch, Dutch, Dutch.

Ah, so a dragon who adores tulips, likes to wear clogs and has a strange habit of sticking its claws into dikes? tongue.gif

I just described her! I have like five descriptions ready, but I've been too lazy to type them up. I think I'll be redoing one of them, anyway.

A dragon with a Dutch name who does stereotypical Dutch things (but isn't Dutch in-universe, duh)?

"Dutch" is a fun word. Dutch, Dutch, Dutch.

A dragon who loves the color orange, loves damming lakes, loves kicking around a round piece of leather. Who loves Krotteten, Nasi goreng, hagelslag, fried mussels, haring, and cows. Oh the possibilities! Could also reference a "coffeeshop" if you're careful. cool.gif speaking of Dutch, I'm about to board the plane home.

We talked abut blow dried cows in the chat (yes that IS a thing - do an image search it's adorbs), so I wrote:

Klimbim

Ahab

Floof Floof

Queen of the Waves

Thanks sneaky mod for approving them WHILE I submitted biggrin.gif

Edited by herk

I just described her. I don't even know why. I wasn't planning to. I just saw her at the top of my scroll and came up with a description for her.

Edited by Peachycupcake525

I've finally caught up with accepting descriptions (we were at like 260 and I almost had a heart attack haha) and adding stuff to the google doc. From now on, for those who don't have a dragon group for their DraDreWriMo (Aka Tabs, Kanaye, and CharonDusk) please check and make sure if I've got all of your DraDeWriMo descriptions listed (if you care to have them all listed). If not, please post the ones I missed all together. smile.gif

Here are the prompts from yesterday, today, and for tomorrow!

• Friendly competition.
  • A dragon that takes something too seriously.
  • Complaints.
  • An overly dramatic dragon.
  • A dragon with an odd phobia.
  • A dragon with an unusual pet peeve.
  • An unusual living situation.
  • Getting along (or not) with the neighbors.
  • Dealing with humans.
I'm officially back!

Edit: Congrats on Peachycupcake525 for reaching their goal!

Edited by Earth Gurl

Google doc? unsure.gif I think I've missed something... Nvm, found it! xd.png

Welcome back! smile.gif

Edited by Lagie