padfoot

The Unlikely

Hoang and Thian jumped back as if Ethan had the plague, looking horrified at him. They turned to each other and spoke in hushed whispers before turning back, their smiles bigger than ever. They walked casually back to him and leaned on his shoulders again.

"Oh, Ethan, I don't think you understand." Said the twin on the right.

"You see, by refusing the tour you are only giving us more time to come up with... more extravagant welcoming ideas." Said the one on the left.

"And plus, who's to say you're coin here is broken?" Said the left one, snatching it out of Ethan's grasp. "Try this one." He said, putting an identical one back into Ethan's hand. The twin on the right had vanished without a trace.

Ethan's expression immediately hardened when his coin was taken from him. They really crossed the line now, along with giving him a sham coin considering his coin was one of a kind made just for him. He placed another jinx upon the twin that was present. Hopefully this would work as then he could just sit back and watch the carnage. He would have jinxed objects in the room as well, but there were too many people around. That was fine. Once he inadvertently caused a fire in his school when he hexed his math teacher in hopes of postponing their test by making him lose the test papers but instead he got quite a random chain of events which lead to a fire starting. No one got caught in the fire thankfully, but he still got what he wanted in the end. "I would suggest you give my coin back right now or every time I ever glimpse you two I will keep jinxing you until something bad does happen. Or maybe if we ever get a mission together I could just jinx one of you and charm the other one, perhaps that way one of you will die, leaving the other one alive."

The coin in Ethan's hand vanished and another Ethan appeared right in front of the original Ethan.

"I forgot how touchy I am about the coin, sorry." Said Ethan-clone.

"Um, you're not supposed to be Ethan." Reminded the remaining twin.

"Oh, yes." Ethan-clone said. "Of course." But this time it was Hoang that spoke.

"And we're sorry for taking your coin. Forgivesies??" Thian said, giving Ethan puppy dog eyes.

"Yeah, we don't want our brand new Ethan to hate us already." Said Hoang, giving Ethan the same puppy dog eyes.

Zeke laughed and snapped his fingers. He could have easily just moved him but the snap seemed cool and flashy. The boy flickered a bit and was free from the floor, "Couldn't you have just phased through the floor again?", he asked. He needed to get on with what he was sent here to do, "Do you know why I'm here?", he asked with a raised eyebrow

Zeke raised his hand to the girl, "We don't have time for that. I'm here on a mission", he said. He reached behind him and grabbed Black by the collar of this shirt, "And I need you both". He looked back down at Lucretia and his heart began to melt. He shook his head and remembered her power, "Lucretia knock it off. I'm old and don't have time for this", he said, hauling Black back into the room.

Zeke turned cautiously and gasped when he say the knife, "Whoa Whoa whoa! You don't recognize me?", he asked, "We go to high school together. I'm the time traveler that is in your P.E. class.", he wasn't sure if she knew about everyone's powers yet but that was the first think he came up with saying.

Zeke reappeared back at the bar looking worse than he did before he left. Got in a little firefight to save a group of survivors about a week from now. He was fine other than the quarter sized hole burned in his shoulder. Those beam weapons the Eons were nasty. Cauterized everything into a neat little hole. Or a neat big hole. He had seen and experienced both, and they are both hurt like hellfire. He sat at the bar like he wasn't covered in dirt and his shoulder now had a window and ordered a drink. He didn't say much, but he gave the Twins a look that told them to stop pestering Ethan. He smiled and gave Thalia a wave when he noticed her standing in the bar. Her bag was currently hidden from view.

Pooch continued to stroke Wyrms' fur, deep in thought. Why were the birds so stirred up? Further inquiries to Joff didn't do much, the proud little mongrel simply groomed his feathers, eyeing her treatbag with a reproachful look. Huffiing out an agitated breath, she pouted, and had almost decided to ask Wyrm to threaten Joff with the fate of being eaten when she heard a loud croak. Another crow, almost as large as Joff, settled on Wyrms' muzzle, ruffling his feathers as he closed Wyrms' cavernous jaws with his weight.

After a moments' discussion, the large bird plucked a treat from between Poochs' fingers, flitting back up and through the curiously dark sky... "Albert n co. buildin', hmm?" Pooch murmered, already on her feet and staring at the darkening Eastern horizon. Twisting her grimy fingers through Wyrms' thick ruff of fur, she shifted her weight, only for Wyrm to excitedly bound up and over the curb, lifting her onto his enormous back. It really was luck as f*** she was such a small kid, she thought as they bounded down the street and towards the bitter stench of smoke. With a sharp and toothy grin, she lowered her head, spurring Wyrms' huge and furry sides with her heels.

After thundering around the last corner, Pooch could have sworn she heard the bolts of the bench groan and nearly give and she and Wyrm launched themselves onto it, skidding to a halt and nearly wiping out Ryan as they slid smoothly to the end of the bench.

"Sup fleshbag?" she snapped, eyes in sharp focus "Is that smoke I smell?"

Well it seemed that Pooch had finally arrived, and was dashing towards Ryan. If he didn't have the awareness he had now, he would have tried to get out of the way. Instead, he merely adjusted his body enough that he was in no danger of being flipped over the bench. Once she got her bearings, he got up from the bench and adjusted his hoodie.

"Yea, its rather strange... why are they burning buildings when most of them have already been destroyed." Ryan said as he closed his eyes and began to pace around, sighing all the meanwhile. Part of his power was that he also had supernatural intelligence. However, he wasn't the type to think extensively, so that often went to waste. But once in a blue moon, he was required to use that intelligence.

"I don't like this Pooch, you wanna go check it out?" He asked, not bothering to stop his pacing.

Poking at her lip, Pooch mused...this entire situation was making her hair stand on end, and Wyrms' hackles were up in anticipation. Watching Ryan pace, she thought aloud, "'s almost too open, ya know? Wheres the camoflague? 's almost like the lights they use to draw in the Nightbugs."

Looking up, she caught Ryans' eye as he weaved back and forth across the pavement"I think we're trottin' right into a waitin' maw."

"But", she said, her eyes scanning the deserted street " I think thats for the best. We can sneakystalk our way over and see what they're hopin' ta catch."

Her bright eyes widened at the thought of weaving through enemy sightlines. She was eager to prove herself to the team, anyway... and she was absolutely certain that with Ryans strength and her beasts waiting in the corners, that they could take on anything.

"Lets go!" She crowed, leaping off the bench and onto the cracked pavement, nearly dancing a jig over Ryans feet in her enthusiasm."I wanna see what thesethings are up to!"

Edited by ChildeRolande

Right, one of the twins could change into others. Well at least they were going to give back his coin... Well at least that is what it sounded like. He looked at their twin puppy dog eyes, not really knowing what to do about them. "First of all I am not your Ethan, I am my Ethan. I will consider a truce only if you give my coin back and if I get to keep the jinxes that are on you. Of course those will wear off when something happens or doesn't happen."

Sharvani snickered as her teacher glared at the newcomer. "Excuse me," he snapped. "I am trying to have class! Could you please leave?"

Behind her, Zack whispered, "Santa is angry. Be careful, or he'll unleash the wrath of all the elves upon you."

Holly giggled. Their teacher did have a bushy white beard. Sharvani grinned at her friends, who looked back at her and shrugged. "Yeah, I guess." She stood up to stand next to Zeke. "I'm goin' on an adventure!" She yelled. "Smell ya later, suckers!" And the she proceeded to flip the entire class off, laughing like a maniac.

Kriino opened the door and saw Zeke. "Oh dear," he said. "Would you like to come in? Here, have some coffee. Are you selling lawn mowers? I already have enough of those. You salesmen just won't leave me alone!"

The twins looked at each other and shrugged. Thian tossed Ethan's coin back to him.

"He's definitely new." Said Hoang, walking off with Thian.

"Yeah, he doesn't even know he's our Ethan yet." Answered Thian.

"He usually knows that."

"Weird..." They glanced back at him with odd looks and kept walking.

"Maybe Zeke got him from an especially moody timeline."

"Its possible, or maybe he was having a bad day before he got here."

"Who's to say?"

The pair sat down at the bar and got two instant coffees, drinking them as they discussed something secretively.

Thalia walked over to Zeke, pulling out one of the weapons she'd looted. "Present for you." she said, glancing at his shoulder. "Soloing it is only going to get you killed you know." she sat down beside him, watching the twins eventually leave Ethan alone. "I don't know why you're trying to save people in the future, but send me next time. I'm more expendable than you anyway." it was grim proposition, but true. Just staring at the Ethan, she realized he'd been recently grabbed. Poor guy. Nothing made sense here either, it was all crazy and everyone dies at least once. Time was crazy, and she'd rather not think about it.

Navi wandered closer to Thalia and Zeke. "Something's different this time." She murmured. "It's like… me and Ethan didn't get our memories. I've been here for a week, and not a single memory has come back to me…" Her lip wobbled.

Ethan caught his coin, puzzled as the twins left yet again, but this time instead of out of the room it was just to the bar. He sat down next to Luck, keeping an eye on the twins, "Why exactly do they think they own me?" he asked her. He needed to get as much information as he could if he wanted to be prepared for their next bombardment.

((Basically Zeke did some time spacy thing, so now four copies of himself are in the past, recruiting other characters. Ethan is the first in, and got freaked out by the twins.

Meanwhile, Ryan and Pooch are on patrol, and spotted what might be an Eon scouting party on the outskirts.))

"Your basicly their partner in crime. You were the only one who could control them so you put up with their... well being them." She smiled and looked at Ethan. "Another thing. I know it must have been a joke but those two have never been seperate for over an hour, so please don't force them into anything where they couldn't be together." She focused again on the twins. She couldn't help but laugh at the way they anoyed Ethan. Luck removed her glasses and to check her natral vision: blind as a bat. She let out a sigh and put them back on.

"Makes sense, I could see myself helping them behind the scenes as long as what ever they have planned doesn't harm me in any way. They really should learn that luck doesn't like to be contained though, much easier to get my cooperation that way." He paused for a bit, realizing that what he just said must have sounded weird, "I meant luck when I said that. Like, not you but luck... Gee it's kind of hard to talk to someone named Luck when you love luck so much ." He stopped talking again before he realized it sounded like he said he was in love with Luck. "That's not what I meant, I mean the thing luck, not you. Not that you're not a nice person but I don't love you... You know what? I'm just going to stop talking." he decided as his awkward rambling was only getting more awkward with each word.

Edited by psyshock

Zeke beamed when Sharvani blindly agreed to come with him. He looked at the teacher and shushed him. It would have been funny too if the man's face didn't turn a natural shade of red and his eyes flashed orange. Zeke swallowed hard, dammit that's an Eon he thought as Sharvani flipped her class the bird. He grabbed her wrist and hauled her into the hallway as fast as he could. they needed to get away and fast. It saw them. It knows what he looks like. He really hoped this didn't come back to bite him, or any other version of himself, in the ass.

Zeke dressed in survivor apparel rolled his eyes and walked into Kriino's house and grabbed his coffee from his hand, "Will you shut your smart ass up. I don't have time for it and neither do you if you knew why I was here", he said. He walked inot the familiar house and took a seat in his favorite chair. Red dust settled on the furniture around him. Zeke took a sip of his coffee and looked at Kriino, "You might want to sit down. I have a hell of a story for you.

Zeke then proceeded to tell Kriino what was going on, who he was, and what he needed him to do

Zeke shrugged, causing a bit of smoke to roll form his burn wound, "I've had worse", he told Thalia, who said nothing about his wound but he knew she cared anyway. She was rough like that. She did care but she would be damned if anyone knew. He looked at the gun in surprise, "How did you get this without it self destructing?", he asked, truly amazed. Usually, when a Eon dies and drops their gun, it burns white hot until it is nothing but ash. The fact that she had a bag full of them was nothing short of a miracle. He stashed the Deacon Beam Pistol in his coat pocket and grabbed another from her bag, "the boys upstate will want to see this", he said, the gun vanishing as Zeke threw it into the future to a group of men he met a while back.

Zeke looked up when Navi spoke about not remembering anything. He smiled, "Don't worry Navi, the version of you that died was a very distant version of yourself from a separate timeline. we just happened to find the real you after she died", he said, sensing that he was only making sense to himself.

He grabbed a few straws from the bar and tore the wrappers off. He held up the long strips of paper he was left with and picked the one on the far left, "Ok say this is you. The version you are right now. This is your timeline", he placed the wrapper on the table. With the other three he wound them together into a rough braid, "Ok this is our current timeline and the other two are different yous", he said, pointing to the corresponding wrappers as he spoke, "We found "you" wandering the desert a week ago. I say you so strangely because she didn't act like you do now. She was created, wandered and survived in this hellish future. When she died, we couldn't find any other version of her so I went farther. Finally i found you", he said, picking up the straw wrapper and tossing it at her, "And here you sit. The reasons you can't get any memories was because your not the same Navi. You bite a lot less". He laughed at his own joke and hoped it was making sense to her.

Luck stared at her friend confused for a few seconds before she dubbled over in laughter. She couldn't help hersef. The look on Ethans face, the confused manner in wich he spoke, and the akward silence just a moment ago. It was priceless. "Yeah, I get what you'r trying to say." She rcovered from the laugh attack and looked at him again. "Can I ask you something- something I never ask your dead self?" She smiled curiously at him.

When Luck started to laugh Ethan had no ability to resist joining her. What he had been saying did seem quite silly. When they calmed down he went back to rolling his coin through his knuckles, doing an occasional flip every so often. Things seemed to get a bit more serious when Luck asked permission to ask a certain question. "Really? Something you never mentioned to the dead me? This could be interesting," a curious smile was now on his face. "Ask away."

The twins spotted the opportunity to to tease Luck and Ethan, and simply couldn't help themselves. They skipped over to the table to say 'Oooooh, they're in loooooove!' but before they got out a word, Carissa entered and smacked them both upside the head.

"Shut up and get out of here." She said coldly.

Thian and Hoang retreated from the table and went to Zeke, fake tears in their eyes.

"Daddy!" they cried in unison. "Mommy is being mean to us!"

It was an ongoing joke they had to give the members of the team family titles. Zeke was Daddy, because he was the boss. Carissa was Mommy, because even though she wasn't the boss she still bossed Zeke around. Ethan was their pet, for no other reason then they thought it was funny. The other members were aunts, uncles, distant cousins and sibilings.

Luck rolled her eyes at the Phi twins jokes and went ahead to ask." I noticed that you allways have that coin on you. Past you, future you, and present you all have had it and you never seem to put it down- even for a few seconds. So, I'm guessing Its important. What's the History?" She tilted her head a bit to see him better. Her green hair fell partualy in her eyes but she brushed it back.

Ethan chuckled a bit at the twins, wondeirng if the smack on the head from Carissa was what the jinx had brought upon them. He turned his attention back to Luck, his smile faltering when she mentioned the coin. He held out his palm for her to take a look, flipping it and showing her both sides, but not letting her take it.

"This coin was a gift from my father before the divorce. He mainly made jewelery but he could make much more than that, including this coin. When he would visit he would always make sure this coin was in good shape and he would restore it as est as he could if any damage was done to it. This is much more than a simple gift form my father though. At first that is all it was, but it became so much more." He paused before continuing, he never really told this story to anyone before now that he thought of it. "How crazy do you think it is that I make decisions based on the outcome of a coin flip?" he asked before continuing.

"You leave things to chance, let your feet follow whatever road is laid before them? Well, I can say that Its silly and foolish while saying Its briliant and adventurous. Knowing more about it would help."Even though she knew Zeke could just bring her back if she died, she still feared death. She never liked the idea of being replaced. No one buried the body or cried for the fallen, they just treated them like toys: when one broke they'd simply get a new one. She cast an illusion of death on herself once but the pain and horror of it all was unbearible so she had locked her self in her room for three days. No one knew what she had done when she finally came out." What do you mean ' it became so much more'?"

"Well I would be lying if I claimed that risk wasn't apart of the reason why I do it. I do get a thrill each flip. The other reason starts when I first discovered my powers. I'll give you the short version. When I first discovered my powers and how lucky I could be, I felt invincible. Nothing could harm me, I could do anything and get by because I was lucky enough to get by. Boy was I wrong about that. I ended up getting both of my legs broken just because of how reckless I became. I got drunk off of luck. The incident brought me back to reality, but I knew that I would just become that same person again given enough time, I wouldn't be able to resist my powers."

"It was around then I remembered about this coin. Coins are quite simple, 50% chance for a heads, and 50% chance for a tails The only way to make either side a 100% is to either have a double sided coin, which doesn't count, or to just get rid of the other side all together which would no longer make it a coin. No matter what you do to it, there is always a chance that it will always land on the side you don't want. People may think I'm crazy for relying on a coin, but in reality I owe my sanity to this coin. Every time I make a decision based on the outcome of a flip... It reminds me that no matter what I do I can only change the likelihood of outcomes. I have no power to eliminate any outcomes; the bad outcomes can still happen."

He finished the story, closing his fingers around the coin. His face was filled with sentimentality as he told the story, not sure how to feel about the fact he told someone how week his mental state could really be, although it would have seemed odd to an outsider why he was so obsessive over having his coin on him at all times.

"No. No. Nononon-" navi's eyes glowed white, and a sort of wisp bomb seemed to go off. Particles of smoke a light went everywhere, before hovering for a split second, then returning into a ball in her hands. She held something that looked similar only to be like a giant rubber band ball. "No! This is time. It's all connected. We're like a wrinkled sheet. You don't magic jump. You simply collide two timelines together." Her voice sounded strange. "This is our times. I'm not from any of them. Matter can only be reused or transformed, it cannot be destroyed, and it cannot be created. This timeline I die, this one I die, this one our son is James, this one she's Casiopia, this one I die thisoneiburnthisoneyoubleedout-" Navi was having some sort of cosmic fit.