pinkgothic

Daily Dragon Fix

2 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Is something broken? I seem to be seeing an unusual number of adults in the site recently. Usually when I click through the "view all" pages I see maybe one or two at the most. I just went through and saw at least 10 or 12. Same a day or two ago. Not a major problem, just not what I am used to seeing, so I thought I would mention it.

Almost certainly something wrong; I had to do some emergency maintenance on the server the other day and in the current heatwave didn't want to go through all my sites to check if any had broken. XD I'll check now!

Huh, no, I can't seem to see any errors related to the update or otherwise. Looks like it was just a coincidence after all?

The adult cleaning script runs at :13 and :43 each hour; so, for what it's worth, expect maximum adults at :12 and :42.

Thank you for the report, though! I'm honestly surprised, given the timing, that it isn't broken as far as I can tell. XD

Can't get on to enter new dragons; import all gets me:

Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.25 (Debian) Server at leviathan.thorngale.net Port 443

Anyone else finding this?

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Getting the same. Looks like https://leviathan.thorngale.net/populate-lab.php does not exist.

Lab?

Oops! I added some minor functionality to account.php last night (invisible to you all, but it's there :D) and I managed to screw up the link. Should work again! Mea culpa. (In fact, if you're navigated to "populate-scroll.php", it would have worked. XD It was literally just the link that was derped.)

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion on adding a creature banner for views at the bottom of the clicks page, i.e. just a couple of (probably-)unclickable images displaying submitted dragons?

Just for some context, there's a precedent for this; emmilely installed one ages ago and it generated too many views, so she took it back out again. That said, that was during peak Daily Dragon Fix, when this site on its own, even without the view banner, hatched eggs approximately by the time they could hatch. These days, judging by a test I've done, a whole week of Daily Dragon Fix alone yields only approximately 80 unique views and maybe 200 overall views, which is not quite enough to hatch an egg before it dies (especially the low overall views, really - the unique views are only narrowly shy of hatching stats, possibly even sufficient).

Just to be clear, even if I do add this, I wouldn't want to ratchet this up too quickly - people currently rely on the site being a low-view site, after all. In my mind's eye regarding where this ought to lead, I think I would like DDF eventually to be a site that can hatch even zyus on its own, if only barely (I never intend for it to be predominantly for views, there are enough excellent sites for that). In other words, not aiming toward hatching eggs at the 4d mark, just in the last couple of hours (for the stubborn breeds), when used standalone.

Thoughts?

I count on being able to put new eggs on the site at 7 days. Right now it is totally safe to do that. I'm not sure if what you are proposing would change that, but if it does I wouldn't like it.

Personally, I don't rely on the site as a main source of views and I don't expect it to be that. Like Purple said, I also put eggs in at 7 days and I enjoy the site being a low-views site! :) I wouldn't mind either way, though, depending on how it's implemented.

48 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I count on being able to put new eggs on the site at 7 days. Right now it is totally safe to do that. I'm not sure if what you are proposing would change that, but if it does I wouldn't like it.

❤️ Just to soothe: Note that I would definitely not want to change that - hence the scheme of increasing views slowly and carefully. Giving an egg enough views to hatch at, say, the 0d 6h mark, should not even remotely make it sick.

For comparison, I currently put my dragons into Valley Sherwood (and only there) at 7d, where they never get sick - and if Valley Sherwood were the only site I used (and it did not have an ER), I project that the non-stubborn breeds would hatch somewhere between the 4d and 3d mark (without incubate), i.e. a much, much higher background rate of views than DDF has. ^_^

20 minutes ago, Paintra said:

Personally, I don't rely on the site as a main source of views and I don't expect it to be that. Like Purple said, I also put eggs in at 7 days and I enjoy the site being a low-views site! :) I wouldn't mind either way, though, depending on how it's implemented.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I'll definitely wait for more thoughts before doing anything (even carefully), though. At the moment this is an idea; I am not set on it. I am mostly driven by the belief that, while it's definitely true almost all people use more than one hatchery (myself included), I feel the individual hatcheries should (try to) be self-sufficient enough that the dragons submitted solely there would not die. It just feels like a responsibility I should at least consider having, heh. ^_^;;

I seem to have discovered a weird issue....

I am suddenly logged out on DC (so when I click on dragons I get the "sprite on top with intro text") thing... I've added DC and DDF to my whitelist and I'm still experiencing it, but the weird thing is that it's not happening with DDF's sister site, so I think the issue might be with DC's cookies rather than the site?

I'm on Microsoft Edge, by the way!

9 hours ago, Paintra said:

I seem to have discovered a weird issue....

I am suddenly logged out on DC (so when I click on dragons I get the "sprite on top with intro text") thing... I've added DC and DDF to my whitelist and I'm still experiencing it, but the weird thing is that it's not happening with DDF's sister site, so I think the issue might be with DC's cookies rather than the site?

I'm on Microsoft Edge, by the way!

That's pretty odd, but I have a suspicion. Sadly I'm currently at work and it'll be some hours before I can check. I'll get back to you as soon as I'm able!

I've made a change; I don't know if it'll help you, but it should make sessions on this site a bit more stable (although I may have logged the one or other person out in the process of working on this - but this shouldn't affect anyone who logged in during the last 15 days).

Was the issue Paintra mentioned ever fixed? I just logged into DDF for the first time in a long time and I see the same thing, when I click it opens up DC as not logged in. I'm definitely logged in. It doesn't seem to affect anything, clicks are still counting etc, but yeah, showing not logged into DC. 

6 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Was the issue Paintra mentioned ever fixed? I just logged into DDF for the first time in a long time and I see the same thing, when I click it opens up DC as not logged in. I'm definitely logged in. It doesn't seem to affect anything, clicks are still counting etc, but yeah, showing not logged into DC. 

Oh, I think I misunderstood the problem (although I'm pleased I did, because it made DDF a bit more stable in the long-term).

No, I can't actually change anything about what you're reporting (Dragon Cave would have to whitelist my site :D It's a change in the way browsers are beginning to handle third-party cookies) - but you can ctrl+click the "View page" link when you're giving your clicks to open them in new tabs to bypass the issue if you want encyclopaedia clicks. (For speed reasons I've always done this, so I never observe the problem, myself, unless I go out of my way to provoke it.)

7 hours ago, Guardian-Angel-671 said:

Ok I've been away awhile & can't remember my DDF pasword,is there a way to reset it? I can't find it on there website.

There's only an administrative way to do that at the moment. I've reset your password for you. Sending you a PM with your temp password now. :)

Heads-up: The site will be down for a little while (perhaps half an hour and change) on the 22nd of March around 18:00 UTC.

This is a pretty comfortable time for me, so I should be able to check live as to whether or not everything is back in order once it comes back up - that said, I would still ask you for your patience for up to an hour after connections are possible again if you observe something funky going on. I'm not expecting any funkiness, though! Should be straight-forward.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, pinkgothic said:

Heads-up: The site will be down for a little while (perhaps half an hour and change) on the 22nd of March around 18:00 UTC.

This is a pretty comfortable time for me, so I should be able to check live as to whether or not everything is back in order once it comes back up - that said, I would still ask you for your patience for up to an hour after connections are possible again if you observe something funky going on. I'm not expecting any funkiness, though! Should be straight-forward.

Quick reminder, this is happening tomorrow.

Hi, I recently decided I'd utilize DDF since I use the Final Outpost side of things for my adopts there, but I accidentally pasted the whole link to my scroll instead of just my scroll name. Could I get that fixed, please?

5 hours ago, SpringsSong said:

Hi, I recently decided I'd utilize DDF since I use the Final Outpost side of things for my adopts there, but I accidentally pasted the whole link to my scroll instead of just my scroll name. Could I get that fixed, please?

Sorry for the wait. ❤️ Should be fixed now!

I changed my scroll name recently but I don't see a way to update that on daily dragon fix

15 minutes ago, Chaos Rider said:

I changed my scroll name recently but I don't see a way to update that on daily dragon fix

There's no such feature (and I won't be adding it), but I can absolutely change it for you! ❤️ Let me know in PM what it was and what you changed it to and I'll get to it right away. Taken care of!

Edited by pinkgothic

Just had an odd issue - was in the middle of doing Clicks when I was suddenly logged out. I may be just having trouble remembering which password I was using, (as I never log out and have always popped in and out so frequently) and will keep trying but - I cannot access the Clcking pages of the site at all now and am being informed that I apparently have already have a membership at NEMO's Ark (which I've never joined) and should go through there. This smells...

Edt: completely blocked from accessing the site...???

Edited by Syphoneira

53 minutes ago, Syphoneira said:

Just had an odd issue - was in the middle of doing Clicks when I was suddenly logged out. I may be just having trouble remembering which password I was using, (as I never log out and have always popped in and out so frequently) and will keep trying but - I cannot access the Clcking pages of the site at all now and am being informed that I apparently have already have a membership at NEMO's Ark (which I've never joined) and should go through there. This smells...

Edt: completely blocked from accessing the site...???

It should not be claiming that you have a membership on NEMO's Ark, it should be telling you that if you already have an account there, you can use the same credentials to log in with those. (It's the same site, just with a different skin, and using different fields in the same database for clicks and creatures.) If it is claiming you definitely already have an account on NEMO's, it is not my site. My site can't know whether you've got an account on the sister site unless you're logged in (and it makes no effort to remind you once you are).

Can you describe what you mean with "completely blocked from accessing the site"?

Sorry, small print and I missed the teeny little 'if', being flustered, so it does indeed say IF I already had an account - thank goodness, lol.

When I click on either 'start clicking' or 'view all', (which I've tried repeatedly) I go nowhere, just stay on the log-in page which is all I can access now. Maybe I just need to change my password, but there's no option for that. I had no issues with AOND, just previous to my coming here, just to mention.