pinkgothic

Daily Dragon Fix

DAILY DRAGON FIX

Daily Dragon Fix is a fansite with a click-focus that keeps its members active.

To add your dragons' codes, login or register on the site.

To keep your codes listed over night, click on at least twenty other dragons on the site.

To register and participate, head over to leviathan.thorngale.net.

See also: FAQ by Wobblegong & pinkgothic.

(If you need help with your DDF account, please supply your DDF username! It cuts down on sleuthing.)

Features

DDF offers a single-click hassle-free addition of all codes on your scroll, assuming you didn't typo your scroll name when you signed up.

Users help decide what is clogging up the DDF tubes by marking a dragon. Is it adult, dead or fogged? If enough people mark the code or the Dragon Cave API decrees that it needs no more clicks, it disappears! Whoo, black magic.

Since some people habitually fog their dragons, though, the site offers a compromise: For a few more clicks (five per code), you can protect your codes from being unlisted this way. (Note: This doesn't excuse you from the twenty clicks a day! wink.gif)

There's also a totally mysterious progress bar to explore - and an equally mysterious garden. blink.gif

Also, while we don't have many additional tools yet, this is the list of them so far:

They're all bundled on the 'Variant Toolbox' page on the site.

Daily Dragon Fix also hosts some miscellaneous dynamic cyclers that show which kind of a time-based dragon is currently dropping / breedable (note that since the last forum update, it is very important that you use https and not http for these!):

Lunar Herald cycler: image.png

[img=https://leviathan.thorngale.net/lunar/image.png]

Lunar Herald cycler, icons courtesy of Shokomonshoko.png

[img=https://leviathan.thorngale.net/lunar/shoko.png]

Fire Gem cycler, icons courtesy of Shokomon: firegem.png

[img=https://leviathan.thorngale.net/firegem/firegem.png]

Fire Gem cycler (no frame), icons courtesy of Shokomonclocks.gif

[img=https://leviathan.thorngale.net/firegem/clocks.gif]

Solstice cycler, icons created with help from Shokomonsolstice.png

(The cycler will not show the Solstice egg at all if eggs are unobtainable. The egg is faded when breeding season is formally over, but Solstices may still appear in AP or trades.)

[img=https://leviathan.thorngale.net/solstice/solstice.png]

Lumina cycler, icons courtesy of Shokomonimage.png

[img=https://leviathan.thorngale.net/lumina/image.png]

Gemshard cycler, icons courtesy of Shokomon (and Odeen) : clocks.gif

[img=https://leviathan.thorngale.net/gemshard/clocks.gif]

Moderators

Current active moderators with the site:

If you'd like to join the team, give us a shout! Daily Dragon Fix is one of the most 'manually maintained' still active fansites, so keeping a bit of an eye on it is always a good idea.

Maintenance that the moderators can do (and will do if the API is down):

• remove protected codes that have died or grown to adults
  • unmark eggs and hatchlings that were accidentally marked by other users
  • remove orphaned codes (in case a site bug causes any not to be attached to any account)
  • remove adults, dead dragons and (non-protected) fogged dragons when they want to speed the user marking process up

What the moderators can't do for you:

• retrieve your password (it's stored in a way that makes it inaccessible)

What the moderators can do for you:

• change your password for you
  • determine your DDF username by scrollname if you've misplaced your account name
  • change your account's scroll name
  • remove your account (though I have no idea why you'd want this)
  • remove a code you traded for that was listed on DDF before and hasn't been removed yet

Button

If you'd like to support Daily Dragon Fix, you're welcome to use the following button:

http://leviathan.thorngale.net/ddf_button.gif

[URL=https://leviathan.thorngale.net/][IMG=https://leviathan.thorngale.net/ddf_button.gif][/URL]
Or make your own, if you like! Any and all support is appreciated.

History

The site was initially created and developed by emmilely, then tweaked by tweakNB and pinkgothic. Unfortunately emmilely has been absent for several years, so the site is no longer actively maintained by her, but currently pinkgothic will do vis best to host and run the site in her stead... while firmly considering the site to belong to emmilely, still. ^_^

For posterity, this is the original post from emmilely (with only the links to to the old domain dailydragonfix.com changed to prevent any confusion, since that domain is no longer maintained and will expire soon):

emmilely said:
Daily Dragon Fix is a fan site that does the following:

.... • Keeps members active

.... • Generates clicks for all registered eggs/hatchlings

.... • Lets you automatically update your dragon codes

.... • Displays all egg/hatchling pages in a frame (no annoying new windows/tabs)

.... • Lets you mark adult and dead dragons for removal

Click here to register/participate:  https://leviathan.thorngale.net/

.... • Members must have at least 20 clicks a day in order to keep their dragons listed.

.... • Accounts that have not had any clicks for 4 weeks will be deleted.

.... • New accounts that have no clicks registered by the end of the day will be deleted.

.... • All site maintenance will be performed at 3am EST.

.... • It is courteous for users to remove dragons if they are hidden (aka fogged).  Admins are authorized to remove them on sight.

Site Admins:

.... • Emmilely

.... • MobyCarp

.... • Zaecus

.... • EnteHühnchen

If you would like to link to Daily Dragon Fix (thanks so much to those that do!), here's a button for you smile.gif

As of 2/3/2009: The button URL has changed in an effort to decrease my server load, the updated code can be found below:

http://leviathan.thorngale.net/ddf_button.gif

[URL=https://leviathan.thorngale.net/][IMG=https://leviathan.thorngale.net/ddf_button.gif][/URL]

NOTE:  Thank you to everyone that writes to tell me that they are enjoying my site!  I really would love to respond to you all, but I haven't been because I don't want it to seem like I'm just bumping my topic.

Please know that I really appreciate it, though, and I definitely read every single post  smile.gif

(The old thread in its full glory can be found here.)

----

The current URL for the site is http://leviathan.thorngale.net/.

Status

The site is hosted through linode and is a machine in Dallas, Texas, USA. (This is the essentially other side of the world from where pinkgothic lives, so don't let that confuse you.)

linode publish some status information, though it's frequently true that issues need to persist for longer than twenty minutes before a notification appears here. You can nonetheless use that page to check up on extended downtimes of Daily Dragon Fix, though downtimes should be rare (linode are as quick to fix things as they can; always have prompt service).

(If the page does not note a downtime even half an hour after you noticed that one is ongoing, something else is probably up, like a bug in the code. Let me know!)

IRC

You can chat about Daily Dragon Fix and Dragon Cave in general on #dataclaw on irc.darkmyst.org; while the channel is not dedicated to Dragon Cave, a few players hang out there, and DC players are generally very welcome. :) pinkgothic strongly recommends you connect using TLS on port 6697. If you don't know how to do that, hit ver up in PM, ve's happy to help you out, regardless what your IRC Client of choice is.

Note: IRC Cloud connections will not work - ve's chosen to disallow those, since the permanent centralised logging IRC Cloud does may be what people's problems are with Discord, if they're considering alternatives. You're of course free to use literally any other IRC client (web (e.g. mibbit) or otherwise). ❤️ (You're also welcome to argue with pinkgothic about this, of course.)

Edited by pinkgothic

Thanks Pinkgothic for keeping this site going. It is one of my first and favorite sites!

The old URL is working again for the moment, though it's only a redirect to the new URL at current. Tweak's contacted me and we're working out what to do with the old URLs together. My current preference is to let the domain disappear, though, and just let the new URL be the canonical reference. I'll keep you all updated, though. smile.gif (Although this might take a while of to-and-fro-ing.)

Edit: For those looking for an update about this, check out this post further down the page.

Edited by pinkgothic

I fixed up the first post a little so it looks less like the result of "zomg panic!". It's still not nearly as graceful as emmilely's, but hopefully it's at least informative. smile.gif

I get to be a ninja! I accept this since there's no dryvac emoticon. laugh.gif

Thanks for keeping the site going pinkgothic. Thank you to everyone (gone and not) who ran DDF back in the day. Here's to dragons and clicking and keeping the hatchery clean for as long as we can going forward!

I made some changes to the way dragons are marked. The change should be 100% transparent to you folks, it's really more of a bug-fix than anything else, but if you notice anything suddenly odd or broken about the marking system (compared to how it used to work), let me know.

--

Sneaky later edit after I couldn't stop screwin' around with the site:

I changed the "start clicking!" page around a bit to bring back a feature that emmilely had for a while: The end of codes notice. smile.gif

Far too detailed footnote:

All codes are sorted alphabetically, but you start at a random point and it tries to guide you once around the whole ring.

Since I removed code caching, that means "the end of codes" is actually not 100%ly accurate, in that you may end up viewing a handful of codes twice (-> if a few were removed while you're browsing and your session thus assumes the ring is larger than it is making you view a codes from the start of the ring a second time, or -> if a few codes were added alphabetically before the current page you're on and so codes from the page you were just on are pushed onto the page you're clicking to at that moment) and a few codes not at all (-> again because a few codes were removed and a code slid to a page back while you were switching pages, or -> if codes are added that alphabetically sort at the 'end' of your ring, and the assumed ring size doesn't account for them).

If you understood that, you deserve a cookie. <3

As usual, if it breaks, let me know. Chances are I overlooked a tidbit with that particular code, because it's more complex than it has any right to be.

Edited by pinkgothic

I'll accept a chocolate cookie then biggrin.gif

Pffbbt. smile.gif CS folk are automagically disqualified from the cookiethon!

There is now a totally mysterious progress bar on the click page. I apologise for being gimmicky, I couldn't resist. happy.gif (I am still testing if it looks acceptable in all browsers, but the feature is there and live in the meanwhile. All done, lookin' okay.)

Edited by pinkgothic

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif and <3 the new "totally mysterious progress bar"

that is all, now back to your regularly scheduled clicking!

>^,,^<

Is it me, or is the site way faster than before? I got 170 clicks in the time it would have taken to get 30 clicks. Either way, I love the site. biggrin.gif

Is it me, or is the site way faster than before? I got 170 clicks in the time it would have taken to get 30 clicks. Either way, I love the site. biggrin.gif

I don't think I did any performance tweaks yet (well, maybe a little? The click page really only loads five codes now; it previously loaded all that were on the site every time you clicked, but that's not actually so many that it should make a difference noticeable by a human being, I don't think), so... probably just you - or the new server is magical!

Which, you know. I could check the specs, maybe "magical" is declared somewhere. biggrin.gif

(More seriously, I'm glad the site is working better for you! user posted image But I'm honestly not sure what would be causing that; I hadn't noticed a speed-up, myself, but then I'm definitely not the most attentive. I'd be curious if anyone else has noticed anything?)

--

On the subject of the old URL (dailydragonfix.com), it'll be disappearing by the 21st of November.

Please update your bookmarks!

--

Edit: I screwed around a bit with the coding behind the totally mysterious progress bar and the end of clicks. Again, should be entirely transparent, but if something breaks, let me know, because then I probably broke it. smile.gif

Edit II: Okay, I just changed the way the data is stored slightly, so existing click rings will have been reset. Sorry about that! Definitely won't happen again; I just used a few not-very-useful names for the storage before, so I wanted to fix that, since it could have caused trouble later down the line.

--

Edit III: You can now change your password. For the moment, this shouldn't make a huge difference, but as usual, if you notice any trouble, let me know. Logging in with your existing password should not be a problem; changing it and logging out and logging back in should also not be a problem. If it is, I broke it, and I apologise; let me know what your specific issue is and I'll try to fix it ASAP!

--

Edit IV: Noticed the redirection is broken again right now. If you spot a 500 Internal Server Error while using the dailydragonfix.com URL... remember to use the new URL! The site is currently working. The redirection is working again.

--

Edit V: Okay last edit for a while, I promise. DX Just wanted to say I fixed the link in the footer that still pointed to support.dailydragonfix.com; it now points to this thread instead.

--

Edit VI: Travelling for a bit. Wouldn't bother mentioning this, except I've been doing stupid things with my browser while trying to get ready, and I accidentally removed hhivt (caps messed; protected fog). I've put it into my DDF account for the moment since it really ought to be listed. Sorry about that. xd.png PM me if you want me to take it out again, I'll do that ASAP! Looks like it grew up while I was away, it's not in my account any more. smile.gif

Edited by pinkgothic

I love the fact that you're now able to change your password with this new update. Glad that I've checked here first after seeing a 500 message. Definitely one of my fav fansites to use.

Is the "End of Clicks" button still around? Now that we have the totally mysterious progress bar and all....

I can't seem to get on the site - keep getting this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@mirror.dailydragonfix.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Is the "End of Clicks" button still around? Now that we have the totally mysterious progress bar and all....

I never saw it back in the old day, I'm afraid, so I don't have it anywhere that I know of, but I'll take a look if I can either find it (I did copy over everything from the old site, after all) or make one. biggrin.gif

Also, I don't have internet today (yes, despite typing this post), so I'm afraid tech support from me will have to wait until tomorrow. Since everything seems to be working smoothly despite my best attempts to break the site laugh.gif I guess that won't be a problem, but I wanted to let you all know. smile.gif

I don't think I did any performance tweaks yet (well, maybe a little? The click page really only loads five codes now; it previously loaded all that were on the site every time you clicked, but that's not actually so many that it should make a difference noticeable by a human being, I don't think), so... probably just you - or the new server is magical!

Which, you know. I could check the specs, maybe "magical" is declared somewhere. :D

(More seriously, I'm glad the site is working better for you! user posted image But I'm honestly not sure what would be causing that; I hadn't noticed a speed-up, myself, but then I'm definitely not the most attentive. I'd be curious if anyone else has noticed anything?)

Must be magic! Like Mistshine, I've noticed that the site loads much faster and more reliably for me now. All of my clicks seem to be registering, too, which wasn't always the case before.

Thank you for your hard work!

Does anyone have an estimated time of restoral for Dragon Fix? I've been trying to get on since last night to no avail..

Gotta have my Daily Dragon Fix!

I keep getting this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@mirror.dailydragonfix.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

[edit] I found the other thread, and found the mirror site so the thorngale URL works, but the dragonfix URL does not. BUT! at least I've got my Fix ! biggrin.gif

>^,,^<

Edited by KatWolfdancer

I never saw it back in the old day, I'm afraid, so I don't have it anywhere that I know of, but I'll take a look if I can either find it (I did copy over everything from the old site, after all) or make one. biggrin.gif

I found it in somebody's signature on the old thread:

user posted image

I have no idea whose site that is it's hosted on, so I didn't want to just snurch it from there.

And, now I see it's the same site the main button is on, so I will go ahead and snurch it. smile.gif

Edited by codyne

Thank you very much for keeping this site going.

It was my first hatchery and I hated the idea that it had gone.

I survived my internet-free moments and am back now. biggrin.gif

Must be magic! Like Mistshine, I've noticed that the site loads much faster and more reliably for me now. All of my clicks seem to be registering, too, which wasn't always the case before.

Thank you for your hard work!

That's really cool; thanks for sharing your observation! *give the surprise-magical server the digital cookies it deserves* ^-^

Does anyone have an estimated time of restoral for Dragon Fix? I've been trying to get on since last night to no avail..

Gotta have my Daily Dragon Fix!

I keep getting this:

Internal Server Error

[edit] I found the other thread, and found the mirror site so the thorngale URL works, but the dragonfix URL does not. BUT! at least I've got my Fix ! biggrin.gif

>^,,^<

Hmm, did you post somewhere else originally? smile.gif (Since you mention 'the other thread'). I don't think the old URL is anywhere in this thread, except as unlinked footnotes... but if it is and I've overlooked it, let me know!

The original URL (dailydragonfix.com) is a redirect to this one (leviathan.thorngale.net) when it does work, but the dailydragonfix.com server has had lots of issues lately and the 500 Internal Server Error was unfortunately a bit stubborn.

If issues crop up about the old URL, feel free to post about them, I usually can't do anything against them but it helps to be aware of them - both for others users, and for me, since I'll just run to Tweak and make his life more stressful with my whine. laugh.gif

I found it in somebody's signature on the old thread:

user posted image

I have no idea whose site that is it's hosted on, so I didn't want to just snurch it from there.

And, now I see it's the same site the main button is on, so I will go ahead and snurch it. smile.gif

Oh wow! biggrin.gif Thank you for unearthing that! I wouldn't have found it on my own, I think. I'll upload that and make it available from leviathan.thorngale.net itself as a copy (like I've done with the main button) - that way we don't have to worry about sionayra.com's availability. Done and integrated. Enjoy. biggrin.gif

Thank you very much for keeping this site going.

It was my first hatchery and I hated the idea that it had gone.

Thank you (and the other users user posted image) for clicking. smile.gif

Edited by pinkgothic

Oh wow! biggrin.gif Thank you for unearthing that! I wouldn't have found it on my own, I think. I'll upload that and make it available from leviathan.thorngale.net itself as a copy (like I've done with the main button) - that way we don't have to worry about sionayra.com's availability. Done and integrated. Enjoy. biggrin.gif

Yay! I've updated my sig to point to the buttons on thorngale.net. Thanks!

Thanks for using the buttons. laugh.gif

--

Following a PM from a user who accidentally ended up with their password as their scroll name, I expanded the admin section of the site a little to allow admins to change the scroll name associated with an account. This shouldn't be a problem in any way, seeing as it has no functional purpose on the site - except for one, as of right now: Now, if you've put in your proper scroll name into the site, the admins can find your DDF username for you in case it's different and you end up forgetting it at any point. smile.gif

Of course, currently, only Wobblegong and I can see and use those tools, but I hope knowing the features exist might be of help to some of you.

--

I've also done some smaller changes to the site that should be entirely transparent, so let me know if anything breaks. I'm trying to move away from pure-cookie-based authentication in steps, so one of the site cookies is going away, so I removed all occurrences of it in the code (and changed the index.php so it removes the cookie if it exists). As far as I was able to discern, that particular cookie was never put to use, so nothing should be impacted, but just in case, now you know.

--

Edit:

Edit II: Okay, I just changed the way the data is stored slightly, so existing click rings will have been reset. Sorry about that! Definitely won't happen again;

A lesson about talking in absolutes:

I lied! Whoops. >.>; I wanted all session data in a separate folder, so I changed the save path of the sessions; that does sadly have the side-effect that existing old sessions are invisible i.e. non-existent. Sorry about that!

--

Edit II: I expanded the first post a bit with the site-admin ("moderator") privileges.

--

Edit III: The original dailydragonfix.com URL is down again with a 500 Internal Server Error. Remember to use the new URL: http://leviathan.thorngale.net. Redirection is back.

--

Edit IV: I made a slight tweak to what happens in the background when you click; if anyone finds their clicks not registering any more, let me know and I'll look into it ASAP!

--

Edit V: ...and there's another gimmick on the site now. With exception of (and apologies to!) two accounts that won't be able to improve said gimmicky gimmick* until I decide to do something about that... enjoy!

Also, user accounts are no longer deleted for inactivity.

* how some people can have accumulated over quarter of a million total clicks by now is beyond me! Holy cow! The record at this exact moment is 567692. How! How! Even if that's been steadily acquired since 2008, you're heroes!

Note that the CSS on the site has changed; to properly see the logo, you may have to force a reload in your browser; sorry about that! Hopefully it's worth it.

Edited by pinkgothic