pinkgothic

Daily Dragon Fix

I just registered to DDF but apparently misspelled my password. Now I'm unable to log in. It'd be great if someone could help me out with that.

4 hours ago, e-sheep said:

I just registered to DDF but apparently misspelled my password. Now I'm unable to log in. It'd be great if someone could help me out with that.

I sent you a PM; hope that helps!

Sooo... I tried to register, but my scroll name contains "Invalid Characters". (It's an asterisk, at the end, that is causing the problem.) Now I know these days you can only use numbers, letters, underscores and dashes in usernames but back in 2008 there was no such limitation; this seems to be causing a problem now :/

Edited by Aalbiel

4 minutes ago, Aalbiel said:

Sooo... I tried to register, but my scroll name contains "Invalid Characters". (It's an asterisk, at the end, that is causing the problem.) Now I know these days you can only use numbers, letters, underscores and dashes in usernames but back in 2008 there was no such limitation; this seems to be causing a problem now :/

I think this probably doesn't affect enough people to change the code, but if you send me a PM after registering, I can change your scroll name for you real quick, so it's the right one. Does that sound all right for you? :)

Heads-up: Fogged eggs have been removed despite protection for a while now. My best guess is that this started on the first of April, but I have no definitive logs about when the problem first occurred. [ Edit: Looks like this thread is related, in which case 1st of April might be right. ]

I apologise for this - I was completely unaware of this until I ended up investigating an unrelated phenomenon (many fogged dragons on other fan sites). By the looks of things there have been changes to the Dragon Cave API. The API no longer returns any information at all about fogged eggs - they register as non-existent.

Unfortunately, this means AFAIK I can no  longer differentiate between fogged eggs and eggs that have been abandoned.

In the interest of keeping the "protection" feature functional, if the API does not return information about a code, Daily Dragon Fix will now retain your eggs if you have protected them. This means that if you abandon an egg or hatchling that you've protected on Daily Dragon Fix, it will not automatically disappear.

Presumably you will not protect eggs and hatchlings you don't actually want to keep, but if you just habitually protect everything, please remove abandoned eggs and hatchlings on your own, to prevent them from growing up in the AP. Thank you!

The API changes have been reverted, so things should be back to normal. Give me a shout if you notice any oddities, though.

Edited by pinkgothic

I just went through "view all" and found a very unusual number of adults on the site. Is that related to other problems you have noted? I ran across at least 30 - 35, where I usually only find one or two, if that.

Edited by purplehaze

6 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I just went through "view all" and found a very unusual number of adults on the site. Is that related to other problems you have noted? I ran across at least 30 - 35, where I usually only find one or two, if that.

Thanks for reporting this! There was indeed a side-effect of the API change on the isAdult() method. (Due to the way fogged dragons used to be reported in the past, it was also checking against the "fogged" state.) It should be fixed now. Let me know if you notice any other oddities. <3

Edited by pinkgothic

Hello. pinkgothic, hope you're doing well, despite these AP changes and all of your checking and extra work? Thanks again for maintaining this essential site (my first fansite stop of the day, when I remember to come on DC for Releases, lol,) so admirably well - it's appreciated!

I came here to find out whether the Protection was no longer operable, as is the case; just to mention, in case this has not yet been noticed: once you Fog freshly hatched eggs, the hatchies are evidently not retained on the site either, so we'll have to remember to re-Import All as well, when coming in to do Clicks.

@Syphoneira ...snap, looks like the API behaviour reverted (breaking protection, again XD Go figure). Fogballs are being returned again. I reverted my fixes. Things should work as they previously did now (the differentiation between "fogged" and "non-existent" / "abandoned to the AP" should be back). Sorry for the to and fro. <3

On 4/4/2018 at 4:40 AM, pinkgothic said:

Thanks for reporting this! There was indeed a side-effect of the API change on the isAdult() method. (Due to the way fogged dragons used to be reported in the past, it was also checking against the "fogged" state.) It should be fixed now. Let me know if you notice any other oddities. <3

Seems to be happening again. I just marked at least 75 adults for removal out of 1011 dragons on the site.

3 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Seems to be happening again. I just marked at least 75 adults for removal out of 1011 dragons on the site.

Thanks for the report! Am on it. Watch this space.

Edit: Fixed! This one was entirely on me, I'd missed a single line of fix revert. :) Only broke in edge-cases, which is why it took a while to manifest. XD Sorry about that!

Edited by pinkgothic

The site is going to be down for a short-ish while sometime in the time between "in three hours" and "in five hours". It should come back up on its own. If it doesn't, I'll notice and fix it (or keep you updated about fixes) in about 22 hours from now at latest.

Just a quick report, it's happening again. I fogged my protected eggs over night and this morning they were gone from the site.

@HPhaeton Sorry about that; there was an API change that made the previous "fogged" routine not work (it thought they were frozen dragons instead). I think I fixed it. Let me know if you notice it (or anything similar) happening again.

Edited by pinkgothic

It's still happening, I tested with one of my hatchlings and it wanished from the site.

Also.. the clicking progress bar reseats every day!

4 hours ago, CamIza said:

It's still happening, I tested with one of my hatchlings and it wanished from the site.

Also.. the clicking progress bar reseats every day!

There's nothing in particular persisting the click progress bar; it resets whenever the associated session times out. :) That's not any particular time, but e.g. will definitely happen if you're logged out and log back in, and ~24 hours sounds about right for the other scenario where the info would get 'lost'. Do you want the progress bar to be more static? (It was only ever designed with the ability to track your click progress over one 'clicking session' in mind, i.e. typically once a day, but that doesn't mean I can't change the feature.)

Re: still happening, I'll investigate and report back! Thanks for letting me know.

Edit: Okay, I see the problem. I can't (in my current code) differentiate frozen and fogged dragons, so after it checks if a code is "fogged and not protected", it moves on to check "frozen" and assumes the critter is frozen. I'll see if I can fix that.

Edit II: Okay, there we go, now it should work (tried with a fogged, fogged+protected and frozen baby of my own). :D Sorry about that.

Edited by pinkgothic

I just wanted to apologize. My thumb accidentally hit a bunch of “mark as adult or dead” without my realizing it. I’m so sorry. 😭

Also, I should have had five days worth of clicks, but somehow the progress reset?

7 hours ago, Anra7777 said:

I just wanted to apologize. My thumb accidentally hit a bunch of “mark as adult or dead” without my realizing it. I’m so sorry. 😭

No worries, a single report doesn't actually do anything, it's a kind of 'voting' system. :) And as long as the API connection of the site works (i.e. the API isn't done), the 'votes' will clear each time the auto-cleaning script comes around, anyway. (The mark link is purely intended as fallback functionality.)

7 hours ago, Anra7777 said:

Also, I should have had five days worth of clicks, but somehow the progress reset?

I'm not sure if this isn't perhaps just a misunderstanding of the feature, so bear with me as I explain something you might already be fully aware of:

If you clicked on dragons at all on a given day, only the clicks you did since the last roll-over will count toward days, i.e. you lose any "free" days you might have stored up. You can't, for example, click for three days on a Monday and three days on a Tuesday, and expect the extra days to stack (for a total of four). You'll get two extra days - for the clicking you did on Tuesday. This is done mostly so that the exponential nature of the algorithm doesn't get bypassed, but also because the purpose of the feature is not actually to let people skip days systematically. Here's some musing from the on-site FAQ about it (emphasis mine):

This is purely meant to be an emergency and anti-forgetfulness feature. Your clicks will still reset to 0 each day and the site will only tell you how many free passes your clicks of today are generating. If you clicked 60 dragons yesterday and come back to the site today, you don't have to click, but if you look at your account page, the site will tell you that you have zero clicks, which are worth no passes. You lose any free passes you had in the background once you start clicking again.

This is intentionally sneaky.

People who have time to visit the site and review their free passes can presumably pitch in clicks - and we don't want to give anyone an incentive not to do so.

(If you're aware of that and this is a different phenomenon you're describing, can you tell me a bit more about what you did, what effect you expected, and what actually happened?)

5 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

No worries, a single report doesn't actually do anything, it's a kind of 'voting' system. :) And as long as the API connection of the site works (i.e. the API isn't done), the 'votes' will clear each time the auto-cleaning script comes around, anyway. (The mark link is purely intended as fallback functionality.)

I'm not sure if this isn't perhaps just a misunderstanding of the feature, so bear with me as I explain something you might already be fully aware of:

If you clicked on dragons at all on a given day, only the clicks you did since the last roll-over will count toward days, i.e. you lose any "free" days you might have stored up. You can't, for example, click for three days on a Monday and three days on a Tuesday, and expect the extra days to stack (for a total of four). You'll get two extra days - for the clicking you did on Tuesday. This is done mostly so that the exponential nature of the algorithm doesn't get bypassed, but also because the purpose of the feature is not actually to let people skip days systematically. Here's some musing from the on-site FAQ about it (emphasis mine):

(If you're aware of that and this is a different phenomenon you're describing, can you tell me a bit more about what you did, what effect you expected, and what actually happened?)

I’m so glad I didn’t accidentally kick anyone off. And no, I wasn’t aware. So I guess I’m just fine. Thank you for the reply!