Lila

An Abundance of Voices ~open~

Subject 28 walked closer to Vita, laying a hand on the nape of his neck. "I don't know where we are," she said quietly, feigning fear rather well. "What if they took me because I'm hero? What abilities of mine would they want to harness, anyway?" She crossed her arms and looked up at the ceiling, blinking back tears. This better not be any more difficult than it should be, she thought to herself. She knew if she didn't do what they told her, there would be consequences that she did not enjoy.

((ETA: that's fine Raven, just don't let them take her))

Edited by Lila

Rain saw a shadow move. She raised her gun and stalked forward. The door flew open. "OH censorkip.gif ." She flew side ways as a stream of bullets obliterated the spot she'd been standing. Rain rolled back to her feet, aiming her gun into the darkness of the van. She pulled the trigger, and heard a groan. The bullets stopped and Rain stepped forward catiously. A hand reached out, grabbing her shoulder. "GAH. LET THE censorkip.gif GO OF ME." Rain brought the handle of the gun down on the hand, hearing bones crunch.

Eww... The hand recoiled and the van roared to life. Rain dove back as it swung around, blinding her with the headlights. "Son of a censorkip.gif ." She shielded her eyes from the light and the van sped away. Papers flew out as an arm struggled to shut the door. Rain stood with her hands on her knees panting. "Jesus." She muttered, walking forward and picking up the stray papers. After gathering them all, she headed back up the stairs. Rain figured that this area was used to shoot outs, and had kept their head low. "Better watch out for the PoPo." Rain said, warning herself.

((If I'm not on top of the RP for the next few days I'm super sorry. I'll post, but I can't guarantee when or how thoroughly. I relapsed and I need to recoup. ))

ETA:

Lana hurried outside at the sound of gunshots. She'd thrown her phone at Benjamin, who'd stuttered his way through ordering a pepperoni pizza and some buffalo wings. Rain was climbing up the stairs, hands full of papers. She furrowed her brow and crossed her arms. "What the hell just happened?" she demanded, intent on knowing what the papers had to say. "We were trying to order pizza." Benjamin waved from the couch with an awkward smile.

Edited by Lila

Rain grinned lopsidedly at Benjamin, then grew serious once again. "Well, remember Chester's van? Well, Ben over there probably does... Anyway, I investigated, and got these. And one of those guys earned a broken hand..." She shook her head. "As I was saying, I got some papers. Maybe they have stuff that can help?"

Most of the papers were soaked in dirty water from the street, making them illegible. "Pizza eh? Never had it." She stretched and holstered her gun. Then reached a hand down to stroke Harry.

Lana took some of the dry papers from her and immediately began scanning them. She waved for Rain to follow her, not looking up from the papers. She grabbed her reading glasses off of the coffee table and slid them on, completely changing her appearance from alluring seductress to librarian who rarely had her nose anywhere other than a book. Benjamin chuckled at her, and she scowled, but still didn't look up from the papers. "I see...genetic manipulation, DNA, dragons..." she paused, gulping. "Heroes?" She felt her necklace go hot, and looked up at Benjamin and Rain. "Guys, I'm not sure if this is the best idea."

"We've gotta do it, Lana," Benjamin said, furrowing his brow. "What about Vita? You wouldn't just abandon him, would you?"

"Are you guilt-tripping me?" Lana sneered, crossing her arms.

"Not on purpose," Benjamin said in response.

"But what if they know?" Lana asked, exasperated. "What would they do? To me and Rain?"

"Well, it's up to you guys," Benjamin told them, leaning back on the couch. "I need to know whether or not to call my dad in the morning."

Lana looked over to Rain and sighed. Her garnet had grown cold, with a hint of heat every time it pulsed, as if it was calling to her. Saying, help.

"I'm in. I may not know him, but I'm not one to leave a comrade behind. And if need be, I'll get him myself." Rain surprised herself by how confident she sounded. Her own necklace gave of a solid bluish glow. She looked to Lana, then to Ben. "Now, am I going alone?" Her stormy grey eyes held little emotion besides determination. Rain wasn't going to change her mind.

Rain turned slowly to Ben, now a bit annoyed. Rain wasn't in the best of moods.

"How can you be so non-chalant about this?" Rain stepped forward to Ben. "You don't seem to worry, or care at all." Rain snarled, clenching her fists. "All you seem to care about is drinking and bickering with Lana!" Rain was taking out her pent up anger on Ben.

(Poor, Poor Ben. xd.png)

Rain's words may have been few, bit they were quite harsh. They held a bitter emotion, anger. "You need to clean up you're act and grow the censorkip.gif up. You're not some idiot twelve year old. You're in college so censorkip.gif act like it! I'm sick of your censorkip.gif and I've only known you for what, an hour? Let me warn you now, you don't ever want to be on my badside." Rain's eyes darkened as more buried anger rises to the surface. The view of Ben turned to a view of her father drunk on the couch. "People are depending on you. I'm depending on you, and all you do is bicker, fight, eat, drink, and sleep!" Rain dropped to her knees, looking at her father. Tears rolled down her face. "Why? Why?!" She buried her head into his chest. The smell of alcohol burning her nose.

The scene that had unfolded in Lana's living room was quite a sight. Rain had gone from yelling at the immature Ben, to a different place. A memory. She'd collapsed onto her knees, and buried her face in Ben's chest. Rain hadn't had physical contact with a human being in about three and a half years. Rain felt as though some weight had been taken of her chest. Her anger that had been bottled up now seemed to fade into just sadness and longing. She missed her father. By now, his liver would have failed.

Rain was oblivious to the world around her as she cried.

Benjamin hadn't said a word as Rain was yelling at her, particularly because he was taken so aback by her words. Somehow, though, he knew they weren't for her. He laid a hand on her back, then looked up at Lana with a confused look on his face. What do I do? he mouthed. Lana shrugged, then sat down next to him on the couch, giving Rain a gentle squeeze on the shoulder. As she did so, she remembered when she had cried earlier that day, and how Vita had squeezed her shoulder in the same manner. A newfound tenacity had sparked in her. "I'm in," she said quietly. "I'm doing this."

Benjamin looked at her, then down at Rain. "I have no idea who either of you are beyond your names and the fact that my great grandfather your species," he said hesitantly. "But I owe you one. For all the crap he put your kind through." Lana smiled dryly at him, slowly warming up to the fact that he did not pin the same evilness to the Cromwell name as his father had. She glanced down at Rain and smiled softly as Harry began to lick at Rain's hands. "My dog made you a softy, my friend," she chuckled quietly, giving the puppy a scratch behind his ears.

Subject 28 walked closer to Vita, laying a hand on the nape of his neck. "I don't know where we are," she said quietly, feigning fear rather well. "What if they took me because I'm hero? What abilities of mine would they want to harness, anyway?" She crossed her arms and looked up at the ceiling, blinking back tears. This better not be any more difficult than it should be, she thought to herself. She knew if she didn't do what they told her, there would be consequences that she did not enjoy.

Vita shook his head and looked at her "You? They might want to harness your healing one....... I can see a few reasons why they would want to but... why would they take me for this? I'm nothing special. No powers no large amounts of money no influence no.... what ever." he said leaning back on the bed grunting a little "At least they did not beat you up though...... the closest thing I can think of for why I'm here..... based on what I heard... they plan to turn me into a hero too..... while I got no problem with that my self..... its how there going about it." he admitted.

((If I'm not on top of the RP for the next few days I'm super sorry. I'll post, but I can't guarantee when or how thoroughly. I relapsed and I need to recoup. ))

((Alrighty, thanks for the heads up smile.gif and relapsed? Everything right?))

Rain raised her head. She smiled at Lana. "Well I'll be damned." She laughed some. "I sure have." Now looking to Benjamin, she stood, giving a respectful amount of space between them. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to snap at you. And then..." She trailed off. "Sorry." Rain looked to Lana again. "We should probably get some sleep before we go."

Rain turned, hearing a knock at the door. "That must be the pizza." She smiled weakly at Ben.

"Whose paying?"

Lana quickly pointed a finger at Ben, but he shook his head. "I have no cash," he said to her with a grim smirk. She sighed and grabbed a few dollar bills off of the coffee table, then went to open the door. The pizza boy was hardly a boy anymore, more of an unambitious thirty year old man who still hadn't taken care of his acne problem and lived with his parents. She gave him a twenty-five cent tip and took the pizza from him with a forced smile, then shut the door quickly.

"That guy was a total creep," she muttered, setting the pizza box on her kitchen counter and pulling out a handful of paper plates. "Do you guys want soda?" Benjamin gave her a thumbs up, so she pulled out a two liter of coke and set it on the counter. "Help yourselves!" she called to them as she briskly walked through the living room into her bedroom.

Benjamin looked at Rain, then at Lana, and finally back at Rain. "I wonder what's up with her," he said under his breath.

Rain took a slice of pizza, setting it on the plate and studying it. She then picked it p and took a bite. "Wow," she said chewing. "This is really good." Rain them cracked the coke open, pouring a cup for Ben then herself. She pushed Harry away as he tried to steal her pizza. "Hey!" She said laughing. "Mine."

Rain turned to Ben. She looked down, still embarrassed by the scene just moments ago. There seemed to be an awkwardness that hung in the air.

"Thanks," Benjamin said quietly, taking a bite of the pizza. He turned on the TV to some late night cartoons. After a few minutes he looked over at Rain. "Were you serious about all of those things you said?" he asked, pursing his lips. He hadn't meant to be nonchalant. He just couldn't connect to the situation on the same level as Lana and Rain had because he wasn't like them. He didn't think it was any less important than it really was. Vita's life was possibly in jeopardy and they had no leads. Did Rain think that the thought didn't scare the hell out of him?

Lana came out of her room, breathing deeply. She made her way to the kitchen and picked up some food, then joined Ben and Rain in the living room. She noticed they were deep in conversation, and said nothing, opting to watch cartoons and eat pizza rather than getting involved.

Rain sighed. "Well, the first bit.... And then.... It was like I was yelling at my dad again." She thought back a moment. "Instead of you, I saw him. I don't know why. It must have been the smell of alcohol still." She sighed. "Though it's been years, the memories are still fresh. And the scars still a fleshy pink against my heart." Rain smirked, but it faded with each word of her sentence. "What my father did, leaving me to fend for myself, and cutting off all emotions.... It just... Well, changed me." Rain set her pizza on the low table and took a sip of soda.

"There you are!" Aidan turned around to see a familiar face running over to him with her hands covering her head. "Ah, Fina," he exclaimed, "it's good to see you without a knife in your hand." "Ha, ha, very funny." she retorted as she walked up to him. "Why'd you leave the house?" Aidan asked as he got a better grip on his cello. "I got bored." Fina said with a shrug. "Go figure." Aidan said as he rolled his eyes. Aidan looked up as he felt the rain intensify. "We need to get out of this rain." he said as the rain began to beat down like bullets. "Why? Is it not good for your cello?" Fina sneered. "Yes!" Aidan said as he backed away. "Then let's just go ask someone if they'll let us crash at their place until the rain stops." Fina said nonchalantly. She turned on her heel and went up to a random house. She banged on the door and waited for someone to open it. "I don't thinks that's a good idea!" Aidan shouted as he hurried over to Fina.

Benjamin nodded, sipping his soda as she spoke. He gulped it down, then took a breath. "I'm sure it did," he murmured, furrowing his brow. "The worst thing that I think ever happened to me was once my maid mixed my reds with my whites when she did laundry." He laughed softly at himself. "It's pretty pathetic, I know." He took a bite of his pizza, but jumped at the knock on the door.

Lana groaned and threw her pizza down on the paper plate. "Can I have one bite of food? Just one?" She stood up quickly, hurrying to the door. "Cover me," she told Benjamin and Rain as she opened the door. In front of her stood short girl who bore some resemblance to herself and a tall cello player behind her. "What the hell do you want?" she asked snidely.

Fina scowled and was about to retort something nasty when Aidan interrupted her. "We're sorry for bothering you." he said quickly. "My friend here doesn't seem to understand that we can't just barge into people's houses." "Its like hellfire out here!" Fina snapped at Aidan. "That doesn't mean we can just waltz into someone's house." he replied calmly. "Do you want us to walk back to the house?" Fina challenged, "Its twelve blocks away! Do you expect us to walk that distance in this storm?" Aidan looked lost for words. He looked at the sidewalk that lead back to his home. "I suppose we'll have to." he sighed. "Of course you would be willing to walk through this storm just so someone didn't have to deal with two strangers in their home." Fina snorted.

Rain smiled. "That sounds horrible." She winked, taking another bite of food. As there was a knock at the door, Rain seemed to be unphased. Although she took in every bit of information that was happening behind her. Rain took another drink. When Lana asked for cover, she went into defense mode, unholstering her gun. She stood to the left of Lana, out of sight, and ready to shoot. Her gun was still on safety. But with one flick of her thumb, it'd be ready to kill.

"Well, typically people aren't apt to welcome strangers into their place of security," Lana said with a curt smile. She felt breathing on her neck, then turned and jumped to see Benjamin standing behind her. "What the hell, Benjamin?!" He smiled and gave a small wave. "It's raining, Lana. Let's at least let them stay in here."

"They could be axe murderers for all you know," Lana sneered under her breath. "And you want to let them in my apartment? With all that's happened today?!"

"Sure. Come on in, guys!" Benjamin said with a wide smile, stepping out of the way. Lana glared at him, grinding her teeth.

"Oh! I think we're good out-" "Come on you, idiot!" Fina growled as she dragged Aidan inside. "Fin, I don't think this is a good-" "Shut up." Fina hissed as she let go of Aidan's arm. Fina's eyes turned to look at Rain. Her gaze caught on the gun. "Nice gun." she said with a smirk. "I'd have mine with me if somebody didn't hide it!" "You have no reason to run around with a gun!" Aidan retorted. "This city doesn't exactly have a low crime rate." Fina chimed. "Oh, please." Aidan chided. "You'd snap your attackers neck, dissemble their body, and then throw the evidence into the flames. You don't need a gun." "You might be right." Fina said. She hugged the back of her head and scanned the room. "Nice place, I guess." she said boringly. "Fin!" "Shut up, prissy boy."

Benjamin laughed as he watched the scene unfold. This was too great. He had just unleashed obnoxious strangers into Lana's home. "Make yourselves at home," he insisted. "We have pizza in the kitchen. And watch for the dog." Harry barked, then ran over to the coffee table and stole Lana's pizza.

Lana groaned, then looked over at Aidan. "You're such a good father," she said sarcastically under her breath. She saw Harry with her pizza and threw her hands in the air. "I"m done. I'm so beyond done." She collapsed onto her couch, too frustrated to care about what was going on anymore.

This wasn't going well. Out of all the homes Fin could of entered, this was the place she found? Aidan saw that the pale male was enjoying the little argument and that the seemingly owner of the house was rather stressed. We really shouldn't of come in here. "You wouldn't mind if I checked my cello really quick, would you?" Aidan asked to the three people in the house. Fina didn't make a witty remark this time. She knew just how much money the cello was. It was quiet expensive and was a fine instrument.

Lana didn't even turn her eyes to him. "Go ahead," she mumbled, burying her face in the couch. Benjamin sat beside her, giving her a pat on the shoulder. She shoved him away. "You are awful!" she muttered, curling up and covering her face with a throw pillow. Benjamin laughed as he fell back across the couch from her. "I don't care. It was so worth putting our lives in potential danger."

((Mean while Vita's in hell lol speaking of him.... kind of stuck till the clone responds.))

"My healing power?" Subject 28 repeated, pressing a button that she held in her palm. "Why do they want me? Couldn't it have been anyone else?" She buried her face in her hands, faking sobs. The door behind her opened, and the doctors stole her from the room again.

"What information did you receive?" one asked hastily.

"Healing power," Subject 28 replied obediently.

"What kind?" another doctor prompted.

"Not specified."

"Damn," a few muttered. "We'll send you back in there tomorrow."

Yep. They were making fun of them. Great, just bloody great. Aidan tried to ignore the people behind him and kneel down on the floor. He took his case from behind his back and set it in front of him. He opened it up and examined the fancy and well crafted instrument in front of him. He held in a sigh of relief. There was no water damage to the instrument. He plucked the strings to hear if they were out of tune. While Aidan examined his instrument, Fin looked at her necklace. "Hey, classical boy." she said. "What is it?" Aidan replied without looking. "This creepy old guy gave me this weird censorkip.gif necklace and told me to "Find the children". Do you think that was some sort of sexual assault or something?" Fina said as she inspected the bronze necklace. "I think you should just walk away from creepy old men who give you necklaces." Aidan replied. Fina shrugged her shoulders and let the necklace go. "I guess I'll just sell it on Ebay or something." she mumbled. "Its not like I care about it."