Lila

An Abundance of Voices ~open~

Benjamin nodded. "Major props to you, man," he said with a grin. "My dad was great friends with a cello player...Mstislav Rostropovich, I think. My dad actually owned one of Dungey's. Never played, but kept it in his study." He sort of zoned out when talking about his father -- he hadn't spoken to the man in a while. His phone didn't have an answering machine, so when Benjamin had rung him earlier in the night, he hadn't even gotten to leave a message. Alfred Cromwell was always busy on some business venture in Corporate America, and when Benjamin really got raw with himself and thought back to his younger days, he remembered how he wished his family was poor so they'd have to stick together. As he'd grown older he'd distanced himself from the idea and grew more on the concept of being a mooch, but there was still a large, masked part of him that wished he and his parents were closer.

((Last post for the night~))

Edited by Lila

Aidan noticed Benjamin trail off. Trying to change the subject, he chose to speak about the whole necklace thing. "If I may ask, what is the whole thing about the dragons, necklaces, and ridges on your back." Adian asked politely, "I mean, I sorta understand, but I'm still kinda in the dark on the subject." Fina was leaning her back on a wall with her arms crossed. She did not look happy.

((sorry I didn't post at all today! I saw my boyfriend for the first time in two weeks today c:))

"Rain and Lana, and apparently your friend over there," Benjamin said, motioning to Fina, "all received necklaces from the same homeless man who disappeared right after they took it from him. He told all of them to find the children, and as far as I know, Lana's and Rain's pendants change temperature, color, and even have heartbeats or something. They must be some sort of compass." He shrugged, looking over at Lana, whose necklace was still red hot. Rain's glowed brightly as well, but it wasn't as affected by her emotion, because she wasn't as furious as Lana. At least, that was Benjamin's understanding.

"The children?" Aidan echoed. "Is that referring to the dragons? Did they leave something behind? Is that what this is all about?" Aidan never really cared about the whole dragon thing. They were just another extinct species. It wasn't like other things were happening in the world. Besides, two children being tortured by a man wasn't the worst thing happening in the world. There were things much more disturbing than that. But Aidan seemed to have to think about them right now. The one girl mentioning dragon blood led him to believe that "the children" had to do with the dragons. Were the children the last offspring of the dragons? That would make sense. If you looked at it from a logical view point, it was really easy to figure out.

"The dragons left behind a hoard of eggs," Lana said quietly. "I found it on the internet while I was trying to find out where Vita could be." The anger was heavy with her, but her words were quiet and innocent. "No one knows where they are, but apparently during breeding season all of the dragons went to the same place that the human population could never find. If they could, they would have eaten them by now or made them pets again."

Benjamin shrugged. "I don't see the problem in domesticating a species, Lana."

"That's because you, like the rest of the world, only think about yourself."

"That's harsh."

"Well," Lana said with a sigh, sitting up. "Society puts on this facade of being orderly and goodwill, but everyone always has themselves in mind, and that's the most animalistic thing I've ever heard. So why should we try to take advantage of a species and pay no respects to the sacrifices it has made for us?"

Mean while at the lab Vita lay there nearly too weak to move now. Some doctors in lab coats... or bio-hazard it was hard to tell coats came in with a single syringe "Subjects body is prepped. the virus has been engineered to attack his cells and release the chemicals into his cells. If all works we should see signs of the dragon breed, Royal blue start to show on him. If he shows it and survives we maybe onto something. If not we'll just find another subject and dissect this one." he said into a recorder before plunging the needle into Vita's neck and emptying it. "Good luck kid, 27 others are dead." he said before leaving.

Vita groaned as he felt the stuff spread. Like a coldish spot growing on his neck.... when it reached his brain he suddenly went into a coma.

"Sounds like someone is too preoccupied with the past." Fina hissed softly under her breath. "Okay..." Aidan began slowly. "So you're suppose to find the eggs. If I may ask, how exactly do you plan to do that? I understand if you have absolutely no idea. Its like a stranger coming up to you and asking you to find the offspring of the last Eastern Cougars." Aidan didn't really feel to comfortable. He was an outsider to this group. He didn't fit in at all. Sure, neither did Fina, but she was always like that. Aidan was always to the calm guy everyone tried to speak with. Now....he was just some elk in a herd of buffalo.

Lana shrugged. "My pendant has an inscription on the back of it," she said. "I'm sure it means something in another language. But it's not my priority right now. My priority right now is to save someone's life, and I'm sorry if your friend over there doesn't feel the same weight on her shoulders as Rain and I do. In fact, I just met them today, but the only reason we're comfortable with each other is because we accepted the fact that we all have a common goal."

"Well," Benjamin mumbled.

"Except for Ben," Lana added quickly. "He has a rich dad and is nice enough to help us."

Aidan glanced over at Fina. "You'll have to excuse her behavior." he said. "She doesn't really get along with people. In fact, she doesn't like people in general. She's solitary and just doesn't like interacting with other living beings. The only reason she's with me, is because I make sure she has a roof over her head." Aidan shrugged and looked back over to the people on the couch. "So must understand why she isn't so enthusiastic about helping some strangers she has met. She's more of a lone wolf than anything else."

"No, I completely understand," Lana said, shaking her head. "Before today my greatest social ventures were drunken. I don't have any family or friends. People aren't my forte either, but I make it work. I mean, there's like seven billion others I have to live with, so I tolerate them. If I had the option, I'd say screw the world as well. But it just doesn't feel right." She looked over to the kitchen. "You can have some pizza if you want, while you wait for the rain to stop. I have a feeling I won't be able to stomach anything tonight."

Both Aidan and Fina shook their heads. "No thank you." Aidan said. "I ate at practice and I suppose Fina stole something from the fridge." Fina scowled, but didn't say anything. "Again, we're sorry if we caused you trouble. We'll leave as soon as the rain stops." Fina made her mouth a line and looked sternly at the door. She knew that Aidan had to get home. If he didn't....well, she didn't want to bring back bad memories.

Lana shook her head. "Nothing more than a bump in the road," she insisted, then looked over at Fina. "Let me know if anything changes your mind. I'm not partial to you, but you're welcome to join us." She got up and went into her bedroom, coming back out with a few pillows and blankets. She tossed them at Rain and Benjamin, then went into the kitchen to toss out the pizza and put the soda back in the fridge. She stole a brownie, she thought bitterly, forcing herself to not look over at Fina. With a sigh, she receded to her bedroom, shutting the door behind her.

Benjamin grabbed a pillow and a blanket and looked at Rain. "You can take the couch," he said, setting his pillow on the floor. It smelled like ash. He'd never slept on a floor before. Why did I offer the couch? He watched as the cartoon that was currently on ended rather morbidly, with the cat getting flattened by an ironing board and the mouse running away into its hole. He smirked, displeased with such a strange ending.

((timeskip when everyone else is ready))

"We'll just stay here until the rain settles down." Aidan said. He sat down against the wall and waited silently for the rain to stop pounding. Fina did the same, but she didn't look exactly happy with sitting on the floor. Fina looked emotionless now, and showed no signs of wanting to stay or leave. Aidan held his cello case in his lap and waited. He thought about playing a soft tune, but decided he wouldn't unless someone asked him to. He didn't want to disturb someone when they were trying to sleep.

((i triED SO HARD TO WRITE THIS. WHY DO I PROCRASTINATE.))

Roxy had been watching her favorite show for a while now, when she realized she still hadn't had dinner. She checked the clock.

12:55? Already? The thought upset her. How had she not noticed that five hours had passed by? How does she even do that? Why am I always so bad with time?

Roxy got up and went to the kitchen, deciding to make some ramen noodles. While the water was boiling, she picked up the pendant the homeless man had given her. It felt warm to the touch.

That's odd, she thought. It wasn't on or near anything hot.

Roxy went into her room and looked for a chain to thread the pendant on. Once she had found one, she looped the chain on to the pendant. I hope this wasn't stolen, she thought as she put it on. If it is, I'll return it straight away.

The dragon felt warm against her chest. Why is it still warm? Even if it was near something hot, it would've cooled down by now...

It was a really confusing night.

Edited by dragonfreak6132

((timeskip nignogs))

Lana glanced over at her alarm clock. She hadn't set it, but it didn't matter anyway. She hadn't gotten a wink of sleep. She'd been up all night wondering where Vita had gone. She could think of as morbid things as her imagination allowed her, but without knowing where he had gone, none of those fears could be validated and truly instilled her. Instead she had spent all night wondering, and it was miserable and exhausting. She forced herself out of bed, not bothering to glance in the mirror. She knew her hair would be tangled, so she pulled it back into a halfhearted bun. "I guess it's time to go back to real life," she thought to herself with a defeated sigh.

After who knows how long Vita woke up and groaned. He felt.... mostly normal for the most part. Back to normal for strength wise maybe more. He sat up and went to get up and paused, both legs gave a minor dull ache. Nothing bad right now, like he had been running for too long. Shaking it off he walked around the room before sitting down again. He rested his head in his hands and paused..... his cheek felt odd to the touch. He ran his hand over his cheek.... felt like he had a few dozen tiny bumps. He looked at his hand and the skin looked..... weird too. A tad darker then he was used to. "Guys, I seem to be alive.... can I go now?" he said allowed. At first no responce then "Congratulations subject 28.... your alive. BAsed on what we observed seems your body taken to the new DNA quite well. Now we need to hold you to observe the results. Then we'll need to dissect you so we know why it worked this time." the voice said before going silent again. Vita glared around the room before sitting down again.

Benjamin was awoken from his deep slumber when he heard Lana's door open. He looked up at her and stifled a giggle, but did smile. She looked ridiculous. Lana shot him a glare and he shook the grin off of his face, then got up and followed her into the kitchen. "Why are you up so early?" he asked under his breath, not knowing if Rain was still asleep or not.

"I've been awake all night," Lana retorted, pulling a carton of orange juice out of the fridge. "Do you want orange juice?" Benjamin shrugged, so she pulled out two glasses and poured some for both of them.

"You're still worried about Vita?"

"Duh, I'm worried about Vita," Lana snapped. "He could be dead, or violated, or mutilated..." She shuddered.

"I guess that was a dumb question," Benjamin said, looking at his feet. "Pardon me if this comes off the wrong way, but why do you care so much about him? Haven't you only known him like a day?"

"Well, he's sweet, and he cares about heroes a whole lot more than I ever have," Lana explained, "and I guess he's pretty cute."

"So you've developed feelings for someone within a day and you suddenly want to save their life?" Benjamin asked, a bit puzzled.

Lana groaned. "I don't know. I don't know why I like him. I mean honestly there's nothing different about him except for his crazy obsession with dragons and I think that's pretty weird...but I don't know. He makes me feel like I'm actually a person and not a statue or something, and I don't know if I've ever found that before."

"I'm sure you have."

Lana shrugged and took another sip of orange juice. Benjamin touched her arm, and she looked up at him as she drew away quickly. He smirked in response and shook his head. "You're crazy, Lana," he mumbled, turning away. She furrowed her brow and scowled. "I am not."

"I'm not going back." Aidan turned his head and looked at Fina. "What?" he asked. "I'm not going back to join those wanna-be heroes." she said. "No one ever said you had to." Aidan retorted as he straightened his tie. "I know I seem selfish for not joining." Fina snarled. "But that isn't going to stop me." "You aren't being selfish, Fin." Aidan sighed as he turned around to look at Fina. "You knew them for, what, five minutes? You were a stranger to them and then they suddenly get angry at you for not wanting to join them to find some eggs that might not even be real. Not joining them is completely logical. They got mad because you didn't want to help a bunch of strangers who you just met. There is nothing selfish in that decision." Aidan picked up his cello and swung the bag containing it over his shoulder. "I'll be back at around twelve." he stated as he headed for the door. "If I don't come back by then, check the fridge. There's some dinner trays you can reheat if I don't come back with lunch." Fina didn't say anything. Aidan opened the front door and exited the house. He heard Fina lock the door behind him. He took a breath of fresh air and headed down the street. The weather was so nice today.

Vita laid on the bed looking at his hand. The darker hue was slowly becoming more prominent as he lay there. The dull ache in his legs sometimes spiking here and there but he just blamed it on the beating he took from before. He wondered if his friends would recognize him if he survived this and got away from this place. He knew he was losing his skin, though at times it itched like hell in places. The silver swirls where coming in quickly, "Royal blue..." he muttered recognizing the swirls from images of the dragon breed from his research. He wondered if Lana was alright. From what he saw she was brought here too though was not... her self.

"Call your dad, Ben," Lana instructed, halfheartedly fixing her hair before leashing up Harry. "I'm gonna go pick up some breakfast at the deli."

"Can I come with you?" Benjamin asked. "I'll still call my dad. You're going to Newman's, right?"

"Uh, yeah, but what about Rain?" Lana retorted, waving to the sleeping girl.

"She'll be fine. We'll be back in no time."

The pair set out, Lana clad in pajamas and Benjamin in day old clothes. Harry was extra enthusiastic for this walk, barking and wagging his tail at every person that passed. A strange tension hung in the air between Lana and Benjamin, but they both ignored it. The rain had ceased but a few lingering clouds remained in the sky, shielding the morning from the sun's hot rays. Lana was grateful for it -- if she got any darker, she might not even be recognizable.

As they approached the deli, Benjamin began to fuss about his appearance incessantly. He messed with his hair, tried smoothing out his clothes, and even checked his breath. Reaching into his pocket, he realized he had left his wallet at home last night. Lana eyed him curiously. "Are you alright, pretty boy?" she inquired warily.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he mumbled. "I just don't have any money or anything."

"I got you covered," Lana said, waving it off. "You're doing me a bigger favor than breakfast." She tied Harry to a bike rack and gave him a pat. "We'll be right back my man," she coaxed, receiving a lick on the nose. She sputtered and brushed off the dog saliva, then straightened up and walked into the deli. Benjamin followed close behind, insecurity more obvious than it should be.

"What can I get for ya, girl?"

Lana smiled at the clerk. "I'll have an egg and cheese biscuit and a glass of orange juice," she answered coyly, then turned to Benjamin abruptly. "I'm not sure what he wants."

"Benny!" the butcher boomed, laughing. "What are you doing up this early? You look a hot mess my friend." He paused, a surprised look crossing his face. "Are you two a couple?" he whispered to him rather conspicuously.

"No!" Lana interrupted. "No, we're not. Benjamin, would you please order?"

"Yeah," Benjamin laughed hesitantly. "I'll just have a cup of oatmeal and a tall coffee. Black."

The butcher smirked. "You sound stressed. I'll have that right out."

Lana looked over at Benjamin begrudgingly. "I'm not taking you out in public anymore," she snorted, crossing her arms.

"I'm sorry that I'm so popular, Lana," Benjamin drawled sarcastically.

"Shut up."

((monster post is monster))

Edited by Lila

Rain stretched, sticking close to Ben as they approached the diner. Rain felt weak and defenseless with out her gun on her. She'd left it home. After all, it was only a diner.

"I have a few bucks." Rain tossed it on the table as she sat down. "Eggs Benedict would be good, please. And a, uh, hot chocolate." She pulled out a few more crumpled bills. Her back was stiff as she tried sitting back. How is it that I can be sore from sleeping on a couch, when I've slept in trees, on rocks, and on a bare concrete floor; and been absolutely fine?

Rain stretched, looking around warily.

((If all goes to plan, I should have my iPod back tomorrow. I shouldn't be here right now. xd.png ))

Vita looked up as a doctor came him and took a blood sample "Your doing well." the doctor said before leaving closing the door behind him. Vita looked at the doctor and shook his head before going back to just laying there. His legs where not getting any better and now it was feeling like someone had kicked him in the knees. The dark blue scales where coming through rendering his tan skin dead as he scrapped it off wishing there was a shower. He was using the toilet as waste disposal.

Mean while where the doctors where analyzing his blood. "Sir... we may have made his human DNA too accepting. Its invading him far faster then we thought stable. He no longer has his normal skin, he's showing leg problems on camera. Either he's very compadible or something is going on here." the doctor said before a scientist came in "The body is also prone to suggestion. He eased dropped on a few conversations and even said that we could have told him we where going to do this. Unlike most of our subject's he's not fighting the change..... he very well could be embracing it leading the body to accept it far better then one who fights it."

((Be good! We need you back.))

"Breakfast biscuit, eggs benedict, and oatmeal cup!" a voice called from behind the counter. Lana went to the counter and collected their food, handing Ben his oatmeal and his coffee, and Rain her eggs and hot chocolate. The group sat at an outside table close to Harry. Lana set her food down, then hurried back inside, realizing she had forgotten something. Benjamin looked to Rain. "She's a total mess," he whispered. "I don't have any idea how we're supposed to rescue Vita at this rate." His eyes brightened, and he quickly pulled out his cell phone to call his father.

"Hello?" ]

"Hey dad!"

"What do you want?" the other the end of the line groaned.

"Sorry for calling you so early," Benjamin apologized, shaking his head. "But I need to ask you a question. Our friend was kidnapped and we're trying to save him."

"Why didn't you just call the damn police?"

Benjamin's eyes widened, then narrowed. "Because by the time they found him, he'd probably be dead. Anyway, what companies in this area use white economy vans?"

"That's a tough question to answer," his father replied, "because so many companies use them. But if you want, I can download a sheet of recent vehicle rentals from the dealership that rents them out, and email it to you."

"How soon?"

"Within the hour. I just woke up, Marietta treated me to a splendid breakfast of eggs and caviar."

"Dad, you're eating the young of two different species at once," Benjamin said with a smirk.

"It's great!" his father chuckled in response. "We are lucky people Benjamin. I'll email you the sheet by nine-thirty. Good luck with your venture."

The line went dead, and Benjamin set his phone down on the table. He started on his oatmeal, taking a sip of coffee between every few bites. Lana came back outside with a shallow cup and a few sliced sausages on a napkin. She set down the food and the cup full of water on the ground for Harry, then returned to the table to eat her breakfast.

((not a bump

OOC: NOTICE

If you do not post at least once a day (this excludes cases in which I'm notified beforehand) then you will be kicked and your characters reassigned. Waiting for replies leaves the RP dead. Thank you.

A few slip ups is totally fine, but I shouldn't be checking the topic to see you viewing it and not replying.))

Edited by Lila

((IM ALIVE DONT KICK ME PLZ))

Roxy woke to the sound of her alarm clock beeping. She had set it last night so she could wake up early. She reached her arm over her bed to turn it off.

She pushed her glasses on to her face, and got up out of bed. Sunny chirped at her from across the room.

"Did the alarm wake you up, Sunny?" Roxy said.

She shuffled over to the bird cage and opened the door to take Sunny out. Roxy placed Sunny on her bed and let Sunny roam around. Peering over a fold in the covers, Sunny whistled at her. She laughed and whistled back. Roxy let Sunny walk around on her bed for a while more, then placed him back in his cage.

She got dressed, putting on a pink shirt and pink plaid pants. The necklace was lying on her bedside stand. She decided to wear it. It still felt warm. Now it was really odd.

Maybe it's a trait of the material... That was somewhat weird, she'd never heard of a material like that. Her stomach growled, and she realized she was hungry.

Roxy wondered where she should eat breakfast today. Yesterday she had eaten Mini Wheats, but she feels like something different today.

That deli I went to yesterday has breakfast items, she mused. They had pretty good food anyways.

So, once again, Roxy waved goodbye to Sunny, and left her apartment. She strode down to the elevator and rode it down to the lobby.

Roxy set off in the direction of the deli. Once she got there, she saw a golden retriever puppy tied up outside. The puppy was munching away at a bowl of food and water that were set down near it, so she assumed the owner was near.

She walked inside and asked for a biscuit, eggs sunny-side up and a glass of milk. After getting her food, she looked around and realized that the man she had met yesterday was here. She waved to him.

Benjamin was his name, wasn't it?

((my gOD, THE PARAGRAPHS ARE SO SHORT))