Vhale

Remote Biomes

I am very much against this. The point of this suggestion was to give people an unlockable incentive.

But, for a lot of us, there would be no incentive because we'd already meet the requirements for this feature before it was even released. And even for those who don't, it sounds far too easy.

I know my idea is something that not a lot of people would like and I wasn't really suggesting it as such, just giving an example of something that I'd personally prefer. tongue.gif I want to see challenging new features that inspire me to keep playing and work hard, give me more goals to achieve, etc. I'd be very disappointed if there was something new released for which I already met all of the requirements and couldn't even participate in the challenge to get there, since I'd already be there.

I just want a challenge! I'll probably support any suggestion in this thread that gives it to me. tongue.gif

Why a popup? It could just as easily be a message on the site itself, where you click a different link depending on if you want the easy way [current dragons counting] or the hard way [start from scratch].

I imagine it something like:

"You decide to explore for more remote areas to find new dragons.

You see your dragon friends and decide to explore with them, allowing them to help you on your quest. [this is a link]

You decide to leave your dragons to their own lives and explore alone, knowing this will make the quest more difficult, but relishing the challenge. [this is a link]"

Ideally with an asterisk or something taking you to a help page that explains the two choices in plain language.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Having to have certain kinds of hatchlings growing at all times to keep a exclusive biome unlocked for you?  Not sure I like that, as it again, forces people to do something different from their usual playstyle, even if it is only temporary and the hatchies can be abandoned.

While I understand the concern, I'm not sure this is something that needs to be largely planned around to have a suggestion that can be implemented.

I know that it comes up every time we talk here in this section, and that's not a bad thing, but lots of things have been added to the game that force people to do certain things to gain various benefits - To get a trophy you have to collect X amount of dragons. To use Influence you need a Pink, Incubate a Red, and there's no trading on your side without a Magi. If you want to get rid of your Zombie you have no choice but to get a Soul Peace, and the fact that we have an entire BSA section to add to that list indicates that this is pretty standard DC policy.

It's not that I think that the concern should never be brought up. Just that I don't think that suggestions should rise or fall on that aspect of things.

I for one, say yes. And not just because it'll cause drama huehue

Though it could be like this. If I'm interpreting this right, you're saying this could be a way to get some dragons out of the completed section? Well, then we can still do that, and having this an exclusive biome for veterans.

It has a couple of new releases in it for vets. Then as time goes on, they eventually get released to the general public in their own biome.

And look, I can predict the future! You say "but das unfair!" Yeah, we'll have some butthurt users, but we always have those. They still get those releases eventually.

Then how about we have time they spend in the exclusive biome a short time. Two to three days? Not so long there. I'm sure someone will still argue with me on this though. Look, I'm predicting the future again!

I like the "set your own difficulty" idea.

Add in a nice badge for people who choose the more difficult path of unlocking as a reward. wink.gif

If need be, I can raise 600 dragons in a month. So I'd be all over a hard quest, trying to beat it.

But, for a lot of us, there would be no incentive because we'd already meet the requirements for this feature before it was even released. And even for those who don't, it sounds far too easy.
Well, being able to collect 20 or so new dragons does keep us busy for a while, I think.

Plus, we could add doubly remote biomes that you can unlock with a "quest" (see previous pages) that you have to fulfill in a remote biome. (Collect X amount of dragons from there, collect X amount of breeds from there or hunt there for X times).

For example, you've done everything to get from the coast into the ocean. Once you know your way around the ocean (remote_coast), you find a number of small islands (remote_coast_2) and go exploring there.

With this, you'd not only gain a lot of new dragons to collect, you'd still have something else to work for (like gaining access to the second remote biome) in order to find even more dragons. This should keep us busy for a long time to come.

Regarding potential new biomes, I've gone through about half of the completed list by now and looked at all dragon descriptions and biome suggestions of those dragons. (I'm close to the end of P, just before Pygmy Dinos.) And I've found a number of concepts that would fit into any of these biomes:

Savannah (Lots of dragons suited to warm Grasslands; could be remote_jungle)

Tundra (Cold climate that doesn't necessarily include mountains. Could be pretty much a totally new biome.)

Hills (Lots of Forest and Caves there. Could be remote_forest or remote_alpine.)

Underground. (Can be entered through the caves.)

Meadows (Yep. We have a number of dragons suited to that, too. Might be remote_forest.)

Reef (Tropical Coast, kind of.)

Ocean. (Could be split from coast or even contain some commons from there, no idea.)

Lakeside/Riverside (Wetlands - we have a number of fresh water breeds and breeds that live near fresh water, too.)

Swamp. (Not that many breeds for this biome yet, but it does turn up occasionally.)

Wastelands. (Volcanic plains? Very hostile environment.)

Sky/Celestial. (We have a great number of breeds that hardly touch the ground or are almost holy entities. Could even be two different biomes, to be honest.)

Abyssal (Again, lots of really evil and terrible breeds.)

(Small) Island: Area where, due to island dwarfism, there are a lot of pygmy breeds to be found. And nothing but pygmy breeds - maybe including pygmy dinos.

Hidden Valley (my daughter actually cam up with this one): A place where a lot of very strange and exotic breeds can be found.

I don't totally hate the idea of having to have X hatchies on your scroll to hunt the remote biome, but here's what I see happening:

I want to hunt the Remote Coast, so I go to the AP and grab a couple of low-time coastal eggs, incubate and hatch them -- it takes a couple of hours at most, depending on how many views the eggs already have -- and I'm set to go. I go hunt the eggs I want, after a couple of minutes or an hour or so, depending on what I'm hunting for and how long it takes to grab it, I'm done and I don't need the hatchies any more. So I put the hatchies in a teleport link and post them on a departure thread: "Here are a couple of coastal hatchies for anyone who wants to hunt in the remote coast. Please pass them along when you're done."

So someone grabs them and goes hunting. When they've finished, they pass them along to someone else. And so on. How many hands do you think one set of hatchies could go through in 7 days? And since everyone's just using them to hunt, they're not getting any views, and when their time runs out, they'll just die on the last person's scroll. Or maybe the last person will dump them to the AP when they're down to an hour and someone will pick them up and ER them, or they'll just die in the AP.

Or maybe someone just uses the hatchies to hunt, then drops them to the AP. Someone else picks them up (after they've sat in the queue until they're down to 4 - 5 days, like everything else) and uses them to hunt, then drops them again. Same deal. Someone along the way will probably keep them when they're done hunting, but maybe not. Enough people will hunt and drop so that there's a fairly steady stream of hatchies in the AP, so some people won't even have to incuhatch eggs, they can just wait for hatchies.

And then there will be those people who'll hatch eggs for trade. "Have: A complete set of hatchies for access to X, Y, and Z biomes. Want: offers" Someone who's in a hurry to fill their scroll can trade for the hatchies, keep them for a day or two while they hunt, and then trade them off again.

I think there would be a lot of hatchies getting passed around to be used for hunting, which may or may not end up on somebody's scroll in the end. And anybody who wants to can access the remote biomes with minimal effort. I don't think it's horrible, but I don't really see the point? How does it improve the game?

Edited by codyne

I don't totally hate the idea of having to have X hatchies on your scroll to hunt the remote biome, but here's what I see happening:

I want to hunt the Remote Coast, so I go to the AP and grab a couple of low-time coastal eggs, incubate and hatch them -- it takes a couple of hours at most, depending on how many views the eggs already have -- and I'm set to go. I go hunt the eggs I want, after a couple of minutes or an hour or so, depending on what I'm hunting for and how long it takes to grab it, I'm done and I don't need the hatchies any more. So I put the hatchies in a teleport link and post them on a departure thread: "Here are a couple of coastal hatchies for anyone who wants to hunt in the remote coast. Please pass them along when you're done."

So someone grabs them and goes hunting. When they've finished, they pass them along to someone else. And so on. How many hands do you think one set of hatchies could go through in 7 days? And since everyone's just using them to hunt, they're not getting any views, and when their time runs out, they'll just die on the last person's scroll. Or maybe the last person will dump them to the AP when they're down to an hour and someone will pick them up and ER them, or they'll just die in the AP.

Or maybe someone just uses the hatchies to hunt, then drops them to the AP. Someone else picks them up (after they've sat in the queue until they're down to 4 - 5 days, like everything else) and uses them to hunt, then drops them again. Same deal. Someone along the way will probably keep them when they're done hunting, but maybe not. Enough people will hunt and drop so that there's a fairly steady stream of hatchies in the AP, so some people won't even have to incuhatch eggs, they can just wait for hatchies.

And then there will be those people who'll hatch eggs for trade. "Have: A complete set of hatchies for access to X, Y, and Z biomes. Want: offers" Someone who's in a hurry to fill their scroll can trade for the hatchies, keep them for a day or two while they hunt, and then trade them off again.

I think there would be a lot of hatchies getting passed around to be used for hunting, which may or may not end up on somebody's scroll in the end. And anybody who wants to can access the remote biomes with minimal effort. I don't think it's horrible, but I don't really see the point? How does it improve the game?

I don't believe that it is a plausible scenario for several reasons:

a) If people put those hatchies for trade or gift them, that means that they are limiting/endig their access.

cool.gif Trades aren't that immediate: the new potential "owner" could easily figure out that little time is left for his/her access

c) If hatchies end in the AP they are picked up in few seconds and in general do not show back. Unless they are Holidays with messy lineages.

Edit:

d) Why should someone go through the trading process, giving up on something they already own when there are so many incutchable eggs in the AP.

Edited by _Sin_

I don't believe that it is a plausible scenario for several reasons:

a) If people put those hatchies for trade or gift them, that means that they are limiting/endig their access.

cool.gif Trades aren't that immediate: the new potential "owner" could easily figure out that little time is left for his/her access

c) If hatchies end in the AP they are picked up in few seconds and in general do not show back. Unless they are Holidays with messy lineages.

Edit:

d) Why should someone go through the trading process, giving up on something they already own when there are so many incutchable eggs in the AP.

a- You fill up all of your egg slots. Fill up. AP hatchies aren't hard to get, and they take up space, and they might grow up. If you're a person who needs only x amount of each breed and no more, then hatchies growing up is detrimental to your scroll goals, and you can share the dragons with everyone else.

b- so? It'd still be time, and they're free hatchies. Free hatchies go fast.

c- It's still possible, and anyway, it'll make somebody happy.

d- Because sombody already did the work for them?

a- You fill up all of your egg slots. Fill up. AP hatchies aren't hard to get, and they take up space, and they might grow up. If you're a person who needs only x amount of each breed and no more, then hatchies growing up is detrimental to your scroll goals, and you can share the dragons with everyone else.

b- so? It'd still be time, and they're free hatchies. Free hatchies go fast.

c- It's still possible, and anyway, it'll make somebody happy.

d- Because sombody already did the work for them?

a- I've no idea how that would be "detrimental"

b- Traded eggs are not free.

c- Agreed. So that is not an issue.

d- Work? Incubating eggs that in some cases are so low-time (4d08h) that there is no need to incubate, you just leave them in a click-site while you sleep. That compared with trading, where you need to give something to obtain something. I don't think so.

Other suggestions force people to get a ton of eggs that they do not need or want. What about that?

Edited by _Sin_

a- I've no idea how that would be "detrimental"

b- Traded eggs are not free.

c- Agreed. So that is not an issue.

d- Work? Incubating eggs that in some cases are so low-time (4d08h) that there is no need to incubate, you just leave them in a click-site while you sleep. That compared with trading, where you need to give something to obtain something. I don't think so.

The other suggestions force people to get a ton of eggs that they do not need or want. What about that?

This doesn't make sense is all. Unless it's like "Your hatchling opens a magical fairy door that only young dragons can see, and leads you to a strange land", I don't see a logical reason for this.

Granted, it's a game about magical pixel dragons, but it still is illogical.

This doesn't make sense is all. Unless it's like "Your hatchling opens a magical fairy door that only young dragons can see, and leads you to a strange land", I don't see a logical reason for this.

Granted, it's a game about magical pixel dragons, but it still is illogical.

Well... makes sense and is logical for myself and for several people that posted. You've an opinion. I'll keep mine.

Well... makes sense and is logical for myself and for several people that posted. You've an opinion. I'll keep mine.

Fair enough. In an RP/worldbuilding sense, why does this work? I'm curious.

Personally, I feel that it might be a bad idea to use hatchlings as door openers for the remote biomes. First of all, I feel that there should be something more involved than keeping 5 non-frozen hatchlings. Second, I think that you should be able to find your way back once you've been there. Third, I don't like the idea of people sending over whole batches of hatchlings to help each other out with the extra biomes. Fourth, it really doesn't make sense to me.

Thinking some more, I'd say that this might work for a single extra biome (like a hidden valley or something hard to get into), but shouldn't be the regular way to open new biomes. And it should still be true that you should be able to find your way back once you've been there, done that.

Thinking some more, I'd say that this might work for a single extra biome (like a hidden valley or something hard to get into), but shouldn't be the regular way to open new biomes. And it should still be true that you should be able to find your way back once you've been there, done that.

Maybe "Your inquisitive hatchling nudges you towards a gap in the foliage. [we're assuming forest here so I don't have to type everything in brackets.] Peering closer, you realize it's a path, leading deeper into the trees. You wonder why you didn't notice it before. Follow the path?"

Good point....

Firstly, I like the idea of 'veteran's biomes'.

Secondly, I see both sides of the problem and I'd like to suggest a compromise.

I suggest that there be TWO ways of unlocking the extra biomes.

For those that keep saying I don't want to collect a ton of dragons I don't want, they unlock the biomes by TIME. As in, time as a member. If you have been an active player for 1 year, you gain access to the extra biome. And if more than one biome is involved, every year of membership gets you access to another new biome.

For those that like collecting LOTS of dragons, including blockers, they unlock the biomes based on NUMBER of dragons raised to adults. I propose that earning your gold trophy gets you access to the new biome. And if more than one extra biome is available, every 500 more dragons gets you access to another biome.

I think that should cover both of the biggest arguements I've seen in this thread. As for the hatchling idea, I HATE it. I collect adults only with one exception.. I freeze winged paper hatchlings to use as scroll dividers. And if TJ ever lets us have tabs to sort with, I'll be getting rid of all the frozen papers.

For those that keep saying I don't want to collect a ton of dragons I don't want, they unlock the biomes by TIME. As in, time as a member. If you have been an active player for 1 year, you gain access to the extra biome. And if more than one biome is involved, every year of membership gets you access to another new biome.

For those that like collecting LOTS of dragons, including blockers, they unlock the biomes based on NUMBER of dragons raised to adults. I propose that earning your gold trophy gets you access to the new biome. And if more than one extra biome is available, every 500 more dragons gets you access to another biome.

I think that should cover both of the biggest arguements I've seen in this thread. As for the hatchling idea, I HATE it. I collect adults only with one exception.. I freeze winged paper hatchlings to use as scroll dividers. And if TJ ever lets us have tabs to sort with, I'll be getting rid of all the frozen papers.

I think your amounts are too large, or all of the biomes should be unlocked at once, but you're on to something.

(so 500 dragons = access ALL the biomes! and 1 year = access ALL the biomes!)

I'm down with this (though the amount of dragons/time could be debatable). It's largely what I mentioned before as well, though mine was more trophy based.

I think your amounts are too large, or all of the biomes should be unlocked at once, but you're on to something.

(so 500 dragons = access ALL the biomes! and 1 year = access ALL the biomes!)

Works for me.. numbers are always adjustable. I'm just sick of the arguing.

Firstly, I don't know if you noticed but the topic moved from "veteran's" biomes to remote biomes.

Secondly, I don't think that you are seeing both sides. You are seeing only one, that of the "veterans."

Well, the original idea was to have biomes that took some effort to reach.

It's an incentive to keep playing. Please explain the other side.