Vhale

Remote Biomes

Suggesting ideas is much better than cutting down the people who are trying to propose their take on it.

I don't like your idea, because it seems odd to me that newer breeds count and older ones don't. It simply doesn't make sense.

Ah the irony...

See... that is your opinion, mine is different.

Personally, I think between the seven or so different ways this could possibly be implemented that doesn't require a real change in play styles, and strike a balance to being not instantly attainable but not discouraging to new players.

What I was trying to say is that to implement those seven different ways or even some of them could be a problem, not for the players but for the system. Obviously TJ is the only one that can confirm if that is an issue... or not.

Edited by _Sin_

Let me rephrase (and slightly change) my suggestion for "quests", for lack of a better word.

[deleted the whole thing for space reasons]

No...

I dont need more dragons than my usual 10 from each breed!

I dont hunt in cave unless the AP page is getting to 7d eggs again!

I normally would hunt for CB stones - not even interested in other breeds unless I have no 10 of them!

So thats how i play and I dont want to be forced to do quests just because i 'unlock' other biomes.

DC was never and i hope will never add this feature!

Forcing players to change their style is a no go!

I’m normally a lurker in this thread, but I feel this idea of Amazon Warrior’s should be quoted onto a new page because it’s a really interesting concept:

It could add a bit of interest if it's trophy-based but random.

I.e., two biomes per level.  You hit bronze, site rolls 2d6 and opens up two new biomes for you!  Your friend also hits bronze but gets two different biomes, so you can agree to swap eggs if you want.  At silver, it's 2d4, and at gold you get whichever two are left.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I really like the random concept. No specific collecting goals are needed for each biome so no person’s play style is compromised, new players won’t be discouraged thinking ‘Oh great I need 500 dragons before I can even get a chance at dragon X’, there won’t be a really exclusive but super slow moving biome, ect.

I’m sure there’s a downside somewhere, but right now I can’t think of it. So go on, tell me what it is, while I get back to lurking.

I’m normally a lurker in this thread, but I feel this idea of Amazon Warrior’s should be quoted onto a new page because it’s a really interesting concept:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I really like the random concept. No specific collecting goals are needed for each biome so no person’s play style is compromised, new players won’t be discouraged thinking ‘Oh great I need 500 dragons before I can even get a chance at dragon X’, there won’t be a really exclusive but super slow moving biome, ect.

I’m sure there’s a downside somewhere, but right now I can’t think of it. So go on, tell me what it is, while I get back to lurking.

Maybe that certain playstyles would be negatively impacted, but we should be reaching the point that you can collect two of each species (e: counting alts) and still reach Gold soonish, if I'm remembering correctly.

I like this plan, it is a good plan.

Edited by Guillotine

Maybe that certain playstyles would be negatively impacted, but we should be reaching the point that you can collect two of each species (e: counting alts) and still reach Gold soonish, if I'm remembering correctly.

Hi, I'm one of those people that you talk about who collect each sprite. I collect including alts, I unfortunately collect only one of each sprite but I collect frozen hatchlings as well. On my profile and signature there should be a wishlist to show which ones i haven't collected yet. I currently have 486 dragons. If I had all the ones I didn't have, that would make exactly 500 dragons, which would put me at a gold trophy. However, I have 5 more magis than is necessary, 11 pinks than is necessary, and 16 reds than is necessary, all because I collect sprites and sprites only, which means that if something genders wrong I have to get them traded immediately. If there was a day when dragon cave shuts down then I would release all the unnecessary magis and pinks and reds, but for now, they stay. I also have a pair of tinsels and shimmerscales although they don't have dimorphism, so that's 6 more dragons than would be needed. That puts me, if I had everything (which would be very hard for me to do as it includes holly, guardians of nature, neglected, etc but let's assume I did) at 462. Let's assume that TJ releases 2 dragons every month with full dimorphism both during the hatchling and adult level. That'd take me 4 more months to collect dragons before I hit the gold trophy. I've been playing this game since September 11, so it would take me exactly 2 years to get a gold trophy if I did collect only one of each sprite.

Just something to be reminded of.

Edited by ylangylang

Hi, I'm one of those people that you talk about who collect each sprite. I collect including alts, I unfortunately collect only one of each sprite but I collect frozen hatchlings as well. On my profile and signature there should be a wishlist to show which ones i haven't collected yet. I currently have 486 dragons. If I had all the ones I didn't have, that would make exactly 500 dragons, which would put me at a gold trophy. However, I have 5 more magis than is necessary, 11 pinks than is necessary, and 16 reds than is necessary, all because I collect sprites and sprites only, which means that if something genders wrong I have to get them traded immediately. If there was a day when dragon cave shuts down then I would release all the unnecessary magis and pinks and reds, but for now, they stay. I also have a pair of tinsels and shimmerscales although they don't have dimorphism, so that's 6 more dragons than would be needed. That puts me, if I had everything (which would be very hard for me to do as it includes holly, guardians of nature, neglected, etc but let's assume I did) at 462. Let's assume that TJ releases 2 dragons every month with full dimorphism both during the hatchling and adult level. That'd take me 4 more months to collect dragons before I hit the gold trophy. I've been playing this game since September 11, so it would take me exactly 2 years to get a gold trophy if I did collect only one of each sprite.

Just something to be reminded of.

...and presumably, if this happened, you'd also collect one of each sprite from whatever biomes come available...

...and presumably, if this happened, you'd also collect one of each sprite from whatever biomes come available...

Mhmmm! But if we assume that I need to collect more dragons to start getting into the new biomes, as opposed to counting the dragons I have now, I'd have no choice but to wait for new releases. As in like..."you need to get 50 dragons from so and so starting from now"

Edited by ylangylang

Mhmmm! But if we assume that I need to collect more dragons to start getting into the new biomes, as opposed to counting the dragons I have now, I'd have no choice but to wait for new releases. As in like..."you need to get 50 dragons from so and so starting from now"

Yeah, which is why I'm really *not* in favour of that approach.

I didn't have to collect 500 dragons to get to a gold trophy when they were introduced, I just had to collect the difference between the total I had at the time and 500.

Yeah, which is why I'm really *not* in favour of that approach.

I didn't have to collect 500 dragons to get to a gold trophy when they were introduced, I just had to collect the difference between the total I had at the time and 500.

Great! But can we make sure that people who collect only sprites can have enough "new" breeds in the "other" biomes to get to a gold trophy without suffering too much? I mean, I'm lucky enough to have neglecteds and other rares on my scroll, so.. that'd be about 60(? I think?)odd sprites in total, which is at the least 12 new breeds and at the most 20 new breeds. And that's assuming that people collect frozen hatchlings, which some people don't do.

Edited by ylangylang

Great! But can we make sure that people who collect only sprites can have enough "new" breeds in the "other" biomes to get to a gold trophy without suffering too much? I mean, I'm lucky enough to have neglecteds and other rares on my scroll, so.. that'd be about 60(? I think?)odd sprites in total, which is at the least 12 new breeds and at the most 20 new breeds. And that's assuming that people collect frozen hatchlings, which some people don't do.

I guess it depends on how many dragons are in each biome, but...

I see the "but what if people only collect one of each sprite!" comment a lot.  And I think that's fine, if that's how they want to play.  I'd imagine those people still have a bronze trophy at the very least, though, which could mean.... access to a whole bunch of new sprites in two(?) more biomes.  Which would logically hasten their progress towards gold level even if they only wanted one of each.  Wouldn't it?

Doesn't this help?

Edited by Amazon_warrior

I guess it depends on how many dragons are in each biome, but...

Doesn't this help?

Well doesn't our current biomes have like 20+ breeds each (including the ones that appear on every biome) so it shouldn't matter, but I assume that the one that you get for the bronze trophy has a smaller pool of breeds than the silver and so on. Assuming that this person has no holidays and rares or alts and only has common adult sprites they'd have 140 dragons. Rares meaning: trios, metallics, prizes, unbreedables, and neglecteds. However I don't think there's anyone who'd only collect one adult sprite each and who has that big a problem getting rares, so yes in theory they would have a boost from each new biome.

Edited by ylangylang

Well doesn't our current biomes have like 20+ breeds each (including the ones that appear on every biome) so it shouldn't matter, but I assume that the one that you get for the bronze trophy has a smaller pool of breeds than the silver and so on. Assuming that this person has no holidays and rares or alts and only has common adult sprites they'd have 140 dragons. Rares meaning: trios, metallics, prizes, unbreedables, and neglecteds. However I don't think there's anyone who'd only collect one adult sprite each and who has that big a problem getting rares, so yes in theory they would have a boost from each new biome.

But if biome assignment was random (and I think maybe it should be) then all new biomes ought to contain roughly the same number of breeds. Variety *and* equality! xd.png

Edited by Amazon_warrior

But if biome assignment was random (and I think maybe it should be) then all new biomes ought to contain roughly the same number of breeds. Variety *and* equality! xd.png

In which case, I think that about 18? 20? breeds should suffice. Dunno if we'll have that many though....it's been a while since I looked at the completed requests section.

In which case, I think that about 18? 20? breeds should suffice. Dunno if we'll have that many though....it's been a while since I looked at the completed requests section.

*nod* That was roughly the figure I had in my head, yes. smile.gif

No...

I dont need more dragons than my usual 10 from each breed!

I dont hunt in cave unless the AP page is getting to 7d eggs again!

I normally would hunt for CB stones - not even interested in other breeds unless I have no 10 of them!

So thats how i play and I dont want to be forced to do quests just because i 'unlock' other biomes.

DC was never and i hope will never add this feature!

Forcing players to change their style is a no go!

Please read before cutting something down, will you? With 10 of each breed, you'd definitely have at least 1 from every non-rare - and thus have all remote biomes unlocked. You don't even need CB eggs. I never suggested anything like it. Never, ever. Because I know how hard some breeds are to get CB. I never even suggested to force all players to start from scratch. So please don't act as if I did and cut my suggestion down with reason that have nothing to do with it. Read first, complain later! This gets seriously annoying.

Besides, it's still your choice whether or not you want to unlock these biomes or not. Nobody forces you to. If you want, you can only ever hunt the coast, without ever setting foot into the forest, desert and whatnot. Nobody forces you to breed, either. Still, most players do.

I still would have issue because I want 4 of every male and female and no others. If it was something like trophy level or like logging into a biome or whatever that would be different but I don't want it based on x number of dragons on your scroll = this biome. Or you must have one of every dino color to enter this one.
With that, you should have already 5 or even 6 points on my quest sheet, not counting your hunting trips. You'd already have all extra biomes unlocked two, if not three times over.

Although, if we added a dino-only biome (or dino cave), I wouldn't mind to have to collect all "regular" dinos to get there. Personally, I don't collect dinos at all, so I wouldn't suffer from not being able to reach a dino-only biome. Or the requirement could be to collect at least 5 dinos, no matter which color. Because getting one of each color is infinitely harder than getting 5 total.

I think something about visiting/hunting the AP might be nice too, if that's the route that's chosen to go down...
Why not, for another remote biome. I don't know what kind of biome this could be, but it's definitely an option, too.

I like Olympe's suggestion slightly better yes but I still don't want to be told I must have this on my scroll or no biome for me!!
That's why I suggested the quest the way it is. Just hunting is enough - but takes a lot of patience.

...Also (I'm sure someone else said this already), both bred and CBs of a breed should count toward ANY goals.
Sure. I don't understand why that is even being discussed. Someone came up with the idea that they didn't like quests because "non-CBs should count, too" - and now everyone is discussing this as if someone said that only CBs should. Nobody said anywhere that bred or AP eggs shouldn't count! As a matter of fact, even bred eggs are assigned to a biome. (e could even add hybrids for reality's sake. Blunas and Shallow Waters would obviously belong to the coast, UVs to the desert, and Soulpeaces - no idea. Probably to any, or to those where you can find both whites and daydreams (coast, forest?).

i think this is a great idea; though the only thing i don't like is the suggestion of a remote biome containing cb hybrids. i feel as those that defeats the purpose of them being hybrids, as they should only be obtained from breeding. it just makes sense that way i think...
I must admit, the idea wasn't the best. Besides, as has been pointed out, some people might have chosen CB hybrids as prizes, which is a much better reason to not implement a CB hybrid biome.

Regardless, if this idea goes through I'd like to see it not take forever to get to for newer players to get to the biomes. There's really no reason for it to.
50 days for unlocking 6 new biomes (if you collect one of most breeds) - too hard?

Unless TJ tells us otherwise, I'll keep believing that Olympe's idea cannot go anywhere because of its complexity. And I'm not thinking of the algorithm only, think about the logging etc.
It's not that complex. It's a matter of "take 3 out of 9 points" and get there. TJ shouldn't have any problem with that, nor should any of the players if we get a quest book added that tells us where we stand. rolleyes.gif

My point is that you choose as requirements for others something that you already achieved,. Why not something that everybody should achieve?

What do you think that would be the reaction if the people that collected those armies of metallics referenced earlier were to suggest that you need at least one CB Gold x new biome? They already achieved, right?

Well, the idea is to give everybody a chance to unlock the biomes. Even with less than perfect internet and reaction speed. So making the ownership of CB golds a requirement is a very bad idea indeed.

First of all, as I said earlier, different variables like times hunting etc. could create issues for the system.
Please don't shoot down an idea because it might be too much for the system. Only TJ knows how the system works, and what it would take to implement it, so he is the only one able to judge this kind of stuff.

Besides, with my suggestion, all the cave would need (in the worst case) is to count to 250 for each player and biome. As I said, this is a worst-case scenario. We get much more in the terms of views, unique views and clicks daily so this kind of thing can't be too much for the system. It's hardly a raindrop in the ocean.

Well... if, for example, you limit the collection to a certain number of new releases, everybody would start from the same point on time. That eventually could be before the biomes open.
But wouldn't that be very hard to explain to the newbies from the year 2015 why some breeds count and others do? And which breeds count? Edited by olympe

Regardless, if this idea goes through I'd like to see it not take forever to get to for newer players to get to the biomes. There's really no reason for it to.
50 days for unlocking 6 new biomes (if you collect one of most breeds) - too hard?

I'm actually the opposite. Having collected most of what I want on DC and having reached most of my goals, these days I just hunt/breed for trade fodder for shimmers, which are something I don't have a lot of yet. If there are new features like this implemented, I want it to be a challenge to achieve. Not something else like trophies where if you're already at the limit, you automatically get it.

I've got about 1500 dragons from all species except neglected, I believe, so I'd automatically have all these extra biomes opened up for me and there's no challenge in that and, as one of the players who loses interest every now and then in hunting, I'd like a feature that adds something else to the game for me to achieve.

I know this probably won't be a popular idea, but I'd prefer something like "you have to have at least two aquatic hatchlings growing on your scroll to access the extra coast biome" or something that requires you to interact with the game if you want to open up the extra biome. I have a feeling a lot of people will say this will affect their play style, but frankly, you don't have to access any of these extra biomes or anything. tongue.gif

But yeah, I'd just like something that'll be a challenge for all of us, not something that'll get added and us players with more dragons will automatically get all the perks without putting in any additional work.

Perhaps if you WANT to do the quest thing, a little pop-up appears for those who qualify, or have met at least 3 qualifications:

"You have met [all/50%/whatever%] of the qualifications needed to access [x biome]. Would you prefer to [work from where you are now/enter the biome immediately] or fulfill all the requirements?

I know this probably won't be a popular idea, but I'd prefer something like "you have to have at least two aquatic hatchlings growing on your scroll to access the extra coast biome" or something that requires you to interact with the game if you want to open up the extra biome. I have a feeling a lot of people will say this will affect their play style, but frankly, you don't have to access any of these extra biomes or anything. tongue.gif

I like your idea. Actually I would like any idea that addresses continuous challenge. Access wouldn't be granted forever but only when and while the condition is maintained. In this case, once the hatchlings become adults, access would not be possible unless you already have two other aquatic hatchlings in your scroll and until you have them again.

Personally that sounds awful to me. |: If you unlock a biome it should STAY unlocked.

Personally that sounds awful to me. |: If you unlock a biome it should STAY unlocked.

This. I don't want to have to constantly unlock a biome, especially not with conditions so arbitrary I probably won't have them fulfilled normally. :|

This.

I know this probably won't be a popular idea, but I'd prefer something like "you have to have at least two aquatic hatchlings growing on your scroll to access the extra coast biome" or something that requires you to interact with the game if you want to open up the extra biome. I have a feeling a lot of people will say this will affect their play style, but frankly, you don't have to access any of these extra biomes or anything.

Best idea on the thread. In fact, I'd raise the requirement to something five aquatic hatchlings.

It solves these issues:

- Veteran players are unable to continually monopolise the biomes

- 1000+ dragons or whatever does not impact on the availability of the biome so no one can complain that this suggestion is elitist

- It doesn't interrupt your playstyle. You can continually raise additional hatchlings. Otherwise, I'll argue that you can continue playing your playstyle e.g. collecting million of each breed or whatever, and you can just leave the biomes locked. Nobody is forcing you to venture into those biomes. After all, your playstyle should come first and nobody is making you modify it.

- You are not going to NEED to spend your entire life in that one biome. Just raise those hatchlings and whilst they're growing up, max out your scroll slots with eggs from that biome. It's not going to kill you if you have to raise a tiny amount of hatchlings

- If you support the other suggestions, imagine the impact on your playstyle. You'd have to raise x% of dragons from a biome, or even worse hundreds of dragons. With this one, the minimum entry requirement is significantly lowered. Unless you want to fill your entire scroll day after day after day with CB remote biome eggs, please explain to me how having to unlock a biome will ruin your playstyle.

- If you only keep certain numbers of dragons/species on your scroll, just release the hatchlings after you are done

- I believe this will help the ratios significantly, as long as trios/metals are excluded. Compare the impact of raising two dragons all the time if you want to constantly fill up your scroll and raising 50 dragons and stopping forever. Well, in the first instance it would continually balance the ratios. In the latter instance, the effect would eventually fade. You likely would NOT constantly need CBs from the remote biomes so don't complain to me that raising a few hatchlings is the most difficult experience of your veteran life. But at some point in time, someone, at least, will be trying to access the biomes and hence the ratios are likely to be continually balanced.

- People are not going to create multiple accounts JUST to get biome access to all biomes. Even if they do use multiple accounts, they are going to have to work to keep their account monopoly. I know that multiaccounts is an ongoing issue, but this suggestion is better than the other suggestions in this regard.

- Final point. I am an artist. To me, the backlog is rather discouraging and I would highly prefer more than a 0.0000000001% chance of ever getting my work through the hellhole in three years

Not perfect, but the most perfect solution we are ever likely to get.

Edited by DarkEternity

On another subject: reading this thread, I find very ironic that the people that suggest or agree with the hardest requirements think that they should have immediate access. Isn't that nice to create rules for others while ensuring that we will not need to comply because we choose as requirement something that  we already achieved?

If you want to force people to collect a certain number of eggs, at least limit "collection" to new releases only. Otherwise words like "favoritism", "elitist" and "self-serving" will keep showing in  this thread.

But will they show up outside of the Suggestion section is the question.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen a lot of suggestions (and argued against a lot of them) that I thought were self-serving when I thought they were bad for the game. But, IMO, things like "greedy", "elitist", "entitled" tend to be issues we have with the people in the debates about what's motivating the suggestion as opposed to how it will actually play out in the cave. And that's on all sides, I'm not saying only one set of people does it.

Because giving people an in-game benefit based on something they already achieved happened - trophies/scroll limits. People got their limits based on where they already were in the game; there was no starting fresh for everyone. And if we were discussing that as a suggestion right now, I think that "elitist" and "favoritism" would be brought up like they are in this thread. But at the end of the day, I don't really recall much in the way of drama when scroll limit changes were made. In fact, I kind of remember it being a rather large celebration.

Which doesn't mean I'm necessarily in support of this. I'm waiting to see how more of it shakes out. And it doesn't mean that I think it should be based on trophies or time played, or that it shouldn't have something for new players even if it was. I just think that, although they're valuable player insight, sometimes our discussions here turn out to not always be an accurate reflection of the often lack intensity with which the average players react.

-snip-

I am very much against this. The point of this suggestion was to give people an unlockable incentive. Hatching eggs takes time. Hatching some dragons, then throwing them away because I don't want them (Just an example- If I hatched them, I'd probably keep them.) to unlock more dragons sounds illogical.

Plus, from a worldbuilding point of view, where's the logic? I don't see why having an aquatic hatchling or whatever allows me to go into this biome, unless I can't get to it any other way than slapping a saddle on a Water and saying "O great hatchling, hi thine butt to the Remote Biomes!" Even then, why couldn't I use an adult dragon? Why does past experience count for nothing?

I'd be much better off with raising a few dragons to maturity that are found in that biome.

"You feel comfortable enough with the dragons in the [biome] that you are confident enough to venture further. You hike on through/swim through/whatever through the [biome] until you reach the [remote biome]."